Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is your favourite moment of "It's not a bug, it's a feature" moment?  (Read 983 times)

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog

What is your favourite moment of "It's not a bug, it's a feature" moment?

(By which I mean, it wasn't supposed to be that way originally, but it caused quite the hilarious moment in Dwarf Fortress.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favourite moment of "It's not a bug, it's a feature" moment?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 04:22:02 am »

I had a quick simple mod to make minotaurs playable. Not evil minotaurs, just the ones who live in human towns, like the player goblins in vanilla. What could possibly go wrong...

Day 1: I'm a newly minted hearthsminotaur. How happy I am to be accepted by society! I'll right wrongs and...
    - Pikeman draws his halberd - other hearthspeople butcher him quickly.
My...how odd. Hmm. Never mind, I'm off down to the village to see if anyone needs assistance.

Down at the village well...

Hi everyone, check out my new dance moves!
 - Fisherman draws a silver knife
 - Farmer draws a silver knife

Hey, guys. What's up? You're all looking mean. Hey Bob, you're my friend, right?

Bob: You are a dangerous animal! You are also a pleasure to speak with, but this has come between us.

Oh. Ok.

Peasants pile on minotaur...

It's that last line which was the killer. Feature or bug? Hard to say. Unintentional feature I guess. Hilarious either way.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 04:23:46 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 06:40:27 am »

Six of my seven starter dorfs were madly attacking a bat in the corridor. They were getting dangerously fatigued, the only-slightly-bruised animal just was too hard to kill. Then my designated miner walked up, obliterated the bat with a single hit of our only pick, and everyone went to bed, much to my amusement. "Right, everyone, that's ENOUGH! Go to bed!". More than a year later, when I finally got the aquifer-fed waterfall and dwarfwash going, I checked the First Seven before I put them through the dorfwash. All of them were covered in blood from that bat. After they went through, the bat blood was seen all over the marble dorfwash. That they had been covered in bat blood that long was rather sad.

Also, the rotten eternally-burning reindeer cheese I had in the stairwell (Caused by a fiery forgotten beast). It was a nuisance, I had a terrible time finally walling the damn cheese in then making a new staircase to use.... But the eternally-burning cheese amused me. It burned for years. Pretty sure it was bugged.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 11:30:38 am »

I discovered that if you're standing on a cleared magma flow or in hell directly, you can deconstruct structures anywhere, and have now dropped several slade spires into hell with the occupants inside.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 06:50:56 pm »

I tried a straight to cavern embark but somehow managed to dig past all three caves and into a candy spire. No idea what the odds of that are but it was solid so I figured I'd build wall at the surface entrance and let Urist McDante go on an expedition. It didn't take long until he'd discovered the circus had fun. Except not because no clown swarm spawned and it was just him, his pick and the cotton candy in a rocky tube suspended over what I had thought would be fun incarnate. So I undid the wall and cautiously started continuing the staircase down into the tent- I figured it would be interesting to have all my main industries down there.

It was odd at first, I had got a small dining "room" (really it was more of a balcony) set up off to the side of the staircase as well as a small dormitory, but the need to build the floor in addition to the usual requirements was giving me an efficiency itch so as soon as I had a militia decked out in candy I attached the staircase to the circus floor, content that they'd be able to handle the skinless snail loitering to the left of the only interesting rock formation. That's when I got the punchline message I was expecting Urist McDante to trigger before I really started. After making confetti out of the 20 hapless militiadwarves the rest of my fortress fell in less than 1 real-time minute while I was too busy laughing to actually save anyone.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle