Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184887 times)

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #3195 on: September 05, 2019, 02:03:44 pm »

OK, so I don't see any way to move that cart, and I'm pretty sure Jack will show up once it blows. I assume those mines are ment to be a trap for her. Could be useful, even more so if she shows up before they set off the cart...

So tentative plan: discretely set the roofs of the houses on fire via firebombs or spark. Then run off to warn the guards to get back from the gate. Hopefully, Jack will come to investigate and the lizards will be trapped in their own kill zone. We'll just have to hope that Miriam shows up in time for cleanup duty.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: September 05, 2019, 02:24:09 pm »

OK, so I don't see any way to move that cart, and I'm pretty sure Jack will show up once it blows. I assume those mines are ment to be a trap for her. Could be useful, even more so if she shows up before they set off the cart...

So tentative plan: discretely set the roofs of the houses on fire via firebombs or spark. Then run off to warn the guards to get back from the gate. Hopefully, Jack will come to investigate and the lizards will be trapped in their own kill zone. We'll just have to hope that Miriam shows up in time for cleanup duty.
+2

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: September 06, 2019, 04:15:38 pm »

Taking down the cart is just not an option, and the mines... They must be preparing to take down Jack, right? Please, let just one thing be even tentatively advantageous... You take a nervous breath in and out, and decide what you must do. The walls are bloody high, but you need to get the people away from the gates. The trick here would be...
Bringing in Jack!
These firebombs are hardly enough to set anything on fire, though it would have gotten to the powder. But you don't need an inferno, you need smoke, something to lure that monster in the market to come here! You can trap these damn lizards in their own killzone... You'll have to deal with the broken bridge seperately, but there's nothing you can do to stop it at this point. You accept that. Just need to get things done!
You do your best to sneak over to the wall, leaving behind a pot of oil with the cloth already burning. Your spark is getting some immeadiate work in, though it takes a few tries for the spark to catch the oil. The simple terracotta pots will burst when the fire reaches the main oil reservoir, small as it is, so you leave behind a little trail of timebombs. The smoke, however, is larger than you had hoped at first. Some lizards are noticing it, so you do your best to hurry up. You reach the wall, just a small street away. You dump your remaining bottle of oil, but the drop made the wick go out! Damn it all! You try to light it up with a few more sparks, but then you hear a hefty thump, with a jingle of armor, from right behind you.
You turn around as soon as you're able, and only barely manage to dodge a thrown spear by doing so!
The Lizard Leader is staring you down, already having a second throwing spear at the ready. It's cold, orange eyes regard you like prey, the pupils seemingly pulsing. You're locked in a short stalemate, sizing eachother up as you do so. It tilts its head as it looks at your stump of an arm, before its tongue lolls out and it takes a step forward. Then the spear flies!

You were careful in your looking, however, and dodge it with a quick twist of your torso. You use your new sword to catch its following attack, it's switched to using a scimitar now! The crossguard protects you from the slash, and its muzzle comes close enough for you to smell its rancid breath. You attempt to punch him away, muscle memory causing you to forget your lack of an arm. The pause is enough for the creature to snap at you, before kicking you in the gut with a clawed foot. The claw is blocked by your armor, and while it certainly hurt, you had your lungs empty.
It had expected to have made some distance, and you capitalize on that mistake with a quick slash of the blade across its middle, where there was little armor. The scales protect it from having its guts spilled, but the wound is still deep. It roars again, and makes a massive jump towards you, attacking you with an inhuman fury! But anger is easier to counter than skill, and you use your arm to force it down with a solid whack. The jump was too quick for your sword, too close in too short a time, so it was little more than an elbow to its gut, but it was enough. Using your weight and stable stance, you overwhelm the creature, and sting it in its leg. Your stinger goes through, and the egg follows!
The lizard begins to scream as the wound instantly begins to pulse and throb, and in no time at all, several small spiders burst from the leg! Sadly, it proves little more than a flesh wound, though it is bleeding severely. The spiders quickly scurry away, too small and young to be of use, but your own pack begins to attack now that distance is made. The breedlings sting it a few times more, but it throws them off as it begins to retreat. They cannot pierce the creature's scales! Brainpower, however, can. Having walked around, it attacks the lizard from behind! A magic blast, followed by frenzied bites, finally cause the lizard to retreat entirely, screeching something all the while! Looking behind you, however, you see that the pots have managed to set one house ablaze, despite their small payload! A bonus, then...

You begin to crawl up the wall, your children being quick to follow or join you on your back. The wall is large, and is only taller around the gate, but you need to hurry! They might accelerate their plans, now...
Then, you feel a dull pain in your shoulder, that quickly blossoms in intensity as you keep going. You twist your shoulder at it, and feel the crossbow bolt grind against flesh and bone. Turning back, you see several more bolts flying, some more accurate than others. You feel more stinging sensations as they strike at your spider torso, barely piercing the thicker armor there. The bolt in your shoulder is not deep either, but there was not much distance to the bone there. You feel several more bolts strike around you and you pick up the pace. You feel another one stick to your back, once again saved by the advanced armor and natural armor combining. They aren't using powerful crossbows, likely the light variants. Heavy crossbows would have gone through you in an instant. When you reach the top of the wall, you feel a final, far more piercing sting. Turning around, you see the four bolts lodged in your human back, most being little more than flesh wounds thanks to your armor, but...
most is the key word, here. The last onestruck deep in your back, just right of your spine. The pain is... You hardly feel it. But you hardly feel anything else, either. You begin your descent, vaguely seeing several Blighted Beak people close to the gate, flanked by drider guards.
THEY'RE BLOWING THE GATE! GET BACK, GET BACK! You shout, waving your arms as you desperately try to remain clinged to the wall. You feel woozy, but you're going to make it. People are starting to run, you might have-

What is happening?
Where is...
Everything hurts. Breathing, moving, even your missing arm hurts... Like it's still there. What is...

Here! I found the drider!
Well, get her moving! That thing is getting closer by the fucking second!
All at once, you feel your pain both subsiding and growing more intense.
Sorry friend, not an osteomancer. You'll have to bear it!
You feel your flesh shift, morph and push against the bone, causing intense pain that you can't even express other than tearing up. At some point, it stops being a prickle, or a sharp pain. It's a constant, screaming feeling of helpless agony. Hard to describe, harder to deal with. But just as quickly as it happened, things begin to mend. You greedily take in breaths, only now onticing that you couldn't, before.
Where... What?
You feel a warm hand touch your head, and all at once the clouds in our skull seem to disappear.
The gate, it went off as you were climbing! You must have... You fell more than thirty feet, how are you alive!?
In a minute more you wouldn't have been. Damn... I can't take out those bolts for now, can you move?
Is Jack here?
If you mean that bone thing, yes. That's why we're packing the hell up! That thing's too dangerous, so we're... We're going to nuke the city. Listen... Have you seen a boy? He's an osteomancer, they won't believe my link to him, but maybe you have proof. Are there survivors other than you!?
The woman is crying. You only now notice what she looks like. Tall, regal, with runny make-up. She's wearing a very fancy white embroidered robe, with quite a few magical gemstones on her person. Is this the master Leoric had? Seems unlikely...
Do you mean Leoric? Yes. I've got a whole damned gaggle of survivors, and there's a smith in town too.
Thank gods! Look... You're still injured, but you won't bleed out. Get to the rest of the camp. I need to hurry back and stop the nuke. They can't do it with people remaining!

With the lady out of the way, you see that the gate's destruction was messy. Parts of the wall broke off, most likely explaining how you fell. How durable are you?
Questions for later. You head to the camp, despite looking like a veritable pincushion. You get many looks, and two people run up to you to help fix your injuries. It's temping, but...

You need to get to the people deciding the nuke. You have friends in that city, you need to make sure they don't do anything. At any cost.
That lady is going to be a help. It might not be needed.

Get medical help first.
You need to get these bolts out. The rest can wait for a moment. You'll do this before anything else, but you'll still do something afterwards.

Get to the gate defenders!
Jack is coming. They need all the damn help they can get!

Other

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventu
« Reply #3198 on: September 06, 2019, 05:31:51 pm »

Get medical help first
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:22:05 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: September 06, 2019, 08:05:34 pm »

Jack could topple us with a single strike, healing or no. If we fight, only do so at range. Not sure if sling bullets will do anything, but doombolts might.

Then... nukes fall, everybody dies. let's go stop the nuke.p

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: September 06, 2019, 09:22:14 pm »

Jack could topple us with a single strike, healing or no. If we fight, only do so at range. Not sure if sling bullets will do anything, but doombolts might.

Then... nukes fall, everybody dies. let's go stop the nuke.p
+1

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: September 06, 2019, 11:58:56 pm »

people will probably try to stop and say that we should heal first, give then our breedlings yell "HEAL MY SON FIRST" and keeping moving to the one we must talk while they stop to understand what the fuck happened and see that they are holding a hurt but docile spider
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: September 08, 2019, 03:15:59 pm »

You push the two people away, but hand them a few spiders instead. Telling them to help these instead seems to have sufficiently distracted them, if by "distacted" you count "screaming and flailing". Either way, people don't bother you on the way to the command tent. There is a drider guard in front of it, larger than the usual driders and male. That still leaves it a head smaller than you, and it doesn't even bother trying to stop you, instead stepping aside.
-And what proof do you have? Some drider crawling over the wall? Since when do we count the guards as reliable witnesses?
Since they walk in here without being healed. The lady that heals you says, pointing at you. You see that the leader of the Blighted Beaks is here, along with a very fat man in incredibly fancy robes. He seems to be Eastern, guessing from his bronze skin, even if the make-up makes it hard to tell at first glance. He was the one expressing doubts. He shuts up upon seeing you.
Dear lord... Who let you in!? Who are you?
I let myself in, and I'm Sydney. Now shut up and don't nuke the damn city!
I... Well now! Do you have any idea-
A man makes a subtle cough, which shuts the fat man up quickly. You hadn't noticed him quite yet, as he was sitting down. He looked incredibly old, the most typical wizard you ever did see.
If there are survivors present, I cannot apply my magic in good conscience. We will have to take on the Lieutenant directly as we are.
But- Please! If this gets out of hand, my country will fall! I did not get to where I was to let it all die over some peasants that could very well be a fabrication!
You don't like this man. You elect to let him have it, poking him in his fat chest as you do so. God, he's like five cubic feet, it's ridiculous.
I have spent too much time keeping people safe to have them die like this! Shut the hell up and let people the grown-ups talk, okay?
I am more than twice your age, child! Do not think)
I'm twice your size and half your weight. SHUT. UP.
The man stomps (well, waddles) out of the tent after that. You saw him pale, you know he was intimidated. It helps that you're still sort of a pincushion.
We may end up regretting that. But so be it. Sydney, was it? Listen. I'm happy to hear you saved my apprentice, but it won't be long before yet more monsters come free. The driders are capable, and we have plenty of archers and mages, but that lieutenant... I don't know if we can stop it, not without blasting the city away.
Indeed. So, I must ask. Can you get the civilians out? I can have a pulley brought in, so they can scale the wall. You will have to hurry, but... Maybe we can keep them away for half an hour? The lieutenant is not reacting yet, but the lizards are beginning to prod her to come closer. We don't have long. We tried to send in soldiers to stop them, but... They mined the city. I hadn't thought them capable of such strategies, but here we are.
Driders should be fast enough, yes? Or maybe you could give directions, and find a way to distract that creature. We need somebody immune to the plague, but... the drider guards aren't clever enough. You can do it, I think!?
God damn it, just come to a decision! Listen, we have an explosive at the ready to kill Jack, the lieutenant, I mean. We just needed something to set it off safely!
I can do remote detonations. I was a crack shot, back in my day, and I haven't lost a step yet!

Choose a plan:

Distract Jack
High risk, but if you succeed there will be almost no collateral damage. People will be able to evacuate and the town will be removed along with all plague victims.

Get the survivors
This is dangerous for the quarantine holders, but you need to get the civilians out of there. You'll be able to get your party out as well.

Get Sucy's bomb.
If this works, and that's kind of a big IF, you can delete Jack off this plane of existence. Then they just need to deal with anything coming through the gates.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: September 08, 2019, 03:31:59 pm »

Get Sucy’s bomb

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: September 10, 2019, 04:11:43 pm »

Good, then that's what we're doing. I'm going inside the city to get the bomb... Before I go, there is one bird that's on my side. She didn't lose her mind, so if you see a bird flying around with some bombs, she's with me.
Wait, what are you-
I'll be with you soon, damn it. Hold out until then!
You rush out of the tent and head through the camp. Brainpower is quick to follow, but some of your spiders remain behind. Apparently, they rather like that some of their brothers and sisters are getting a band-aid for their booboos. They can't really help you much, regardless, though Brainpower still helps out. You stand before the gate, and see that there might be an issue. While the lizards that were planting the bombs are gone, there are plenty of other mutants heading to the blood and death. As of now, archers are holding them back, but it makes an approach difficult. You're going to need a plan to get through he city and get the bomb to Jack.

You need a plan. The monster horde isn't too thick, but the rain of arrows is likely to be an issue. You're already injured...

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Neat stuff I do:

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: September 11, 2019, 03:01:48 pm »

Can't we just detour a bit to the left/right just to not be on the line of fire? and then waking on the rooftops we might see the Mirian and use some of our flashbones to call her attention
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: September 12, 2019, 04:50:54 pm »

Come on, Sydney. Come on. You can do this thing. COME ON! You try to keep yourself awake as you try to scale the wall once more. With your injuries, it turned a tough job into something borderline agonizing. Making things worse is that the detour you took cost you more time. It's the best way, to be sure, but Jack has began to move towards the gate now, though not at a speed that could be called focused. The lizards are succeeding, and their bombs are preventing the quarantine holders from getting through the city's defences. Out in the fields and sands, being overrun is a bit easier, though there are no surprise attacks. The main issue, of course, is that in all the chaos there are almost certainly going to be infected that escape. Whether or not they'll survive a non-coördinated trip through the desert is another question, but it's a risk that isn't worth taking. You need to hurry. You keep the bones at the ready as well, hoping to signal Miriam if you see her. Just as you reach the top of the wall (and are strongly considering against climbing down, at least for the moment, you see your companion flying by, carrying a sack in her talons. You try to signal to her with waving and shouting, and after a while she notices you. She flies right up to you and tells you to grab the sack out of her grasp. You don't question it as you take the surprisingly hefty bag. Then, Miriam makes a little flutter of the wings and lands on the walls. She falls forward first, landing on her torso with a thump.
Can't quite stick the landing... Sydney. I couldn't find you at first, so i kept looking. Those lizards are bugging that huge monster, I think they're-
I know. What's in the sack?
Entfire bombs. They burn a long time, but they're not that hot. Sucy told me it would be best for causing smoke or blocking something off. It was remnants of the big bomb she made.
Perfect. I'm going to need that bomb, somebody's got a way to detonate it at a distance.
Really? Did you go outside the quarantine?
Yes. I got some bloody souvenirs on my way out.
Miriam looks shocked at the arrows that are still in you. Can't pull them out right now, though.
I'll use this entfire to block off the entrance, at least for a while.
Sucy said that one could just run through it! It's not very hot, it's intended to light difficult things on fire over time!
They don't know that.
You toss a few of the bombs down, but with only one arm it's hard to get a perfect angle. Unfortunately, you only cover up about half the gate. Your sling helped out a lot, sure, but it's still difficult from the walls to right at the gate. You might be a tad rusty on your throws...

Still, after that you try to find a guard tower in order to just use a staircase. Climbing straight down right now would be a very bad idea. It doesn't take long, at least, and the walls are wide and clear of enemies. Going down the tower, however, was a bit more difficult. There was a single lizard in there, but it was both armoured and was wielding a spear. Once again, your armor saves you from a worse wound, but it's another hefty hit. You think you felt your natural armor crack... You need a moment to breathe before you can move on.
Moving up a few meters to use the rooftops was fortunately not nearly as strenuous as an entire wall. With the chaos at the gates, you even avoid any trouble with the birds, as they're drawn to the sounds of combat. You get to the hideout after some time, and see that the door is wide open. Sucy is bringing something out that she's handling rather carefully. It looks big, about the size of a dog, and she uses both hands to carry it.
Oh good, you're here. Yunikki brought the civilians to the tower and is hoping to find a way down to the other side of the wall. I assume you're here for the bomb?
Yes! Where's Francine?
Cleaning out some of the more valuable tools and putting everything together. I've been rushing to get this bomb in a package in the meantime... So, i assume you have a way of detonating it?
Would a powerful wizard work?
He'd need to hit a specific spot that I marked with this red X, or else the powders won't mix properly. I do hope he's not eyeballing it? If he doesn't hit it right the bomb will be far less powerful. Still very powerful, but maybe not certain in killing Jack.
You feel yourself kind of deflate at the question. He's an old man, besides, you're honestly not sure he could do it at a safe distance...
...Fuck. You finally groan out.

Bring the bomb in and risk it anyway.
You'll just be very freaking clear about it.

Find a way to detonate it the right way.
Either in the city or at the quarantine... There has to be something!

Forget about the stupid bomb. get the civilians out of the city.
Fine, all right? You'll forget about DAYS of bloody work and near death experiences. You'll get those civvies out.

Other

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Neat stuff I do:

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: September 12, 2019, 05:06:40 pm »

Bring the bomb in and risk it anyway.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: September 12, 2019, 07:16:02 pm »

What's he hitting it with, anyway, lightning?  For that all we need is a metal rod or a sword or some wire to direct the shock to where it needs to go.  Anchor it to the X, and the lightning rod will put it right on point.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: September 12, 2019, 08:37:26 pm »

What's he hitting it with, anyway, lightning?  For that all we need is a metal rod or a sword or some wire to direct the shock to where it needs to go.  Anchor it to the X, and the lightning rod will put it right on point.
+1
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216