Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185028 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #3015 on: June 19, 2019, 06:11:29 pm »

Let's-a-fucking-go.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: June 21, 2019, 05:04:12 pm »

This is the end of the line, Phalanx! No more places to run, no more ships to steal! You yell, firing your Dakkat sand-variety LMG at the crates the enemy is using as cover. This thing can blast rounds downrange for a full hour, and that ammo capacity has been helping you out tremendously. You've already swapped out three ammo blocks on your way here, mostly giving covering fire for your demolition's expert Sucy. Fighting all the way through the pirate lord's remodelled class 5 ship was no cakewalk, but you're finally at the end. Once you get him, you get to take your bounty and finally get your damn payment. Once that's out of the way you can finally leave the Gorgon systems.
No sense dreaming about what'll happen when you're done, though. You've let this bastard slip between your fingers too many times already. You doubt he's got another trick now, though, considering he's sacrificed most of his crew at this point. Not to mention he joined the fight himself, using some repurposed power armor. Let's hope you can wear that thing down with concentrated fire.
Take out the rabble, first. That power armor isn't agile! Your Chiton ally, Yunikki, yells. Your translator buzzes a bit, having trouble with the different sounds that species can make. It causes a faint reverb, but you can still understand her. Yunikki continues firing that strange gun of hers. A liquid firing pistol, an Oliperterian design that launches a jet of water at extreme speeds. It'll cut through anything, but the range is crap. At least she's fast enough to take advantage of it.
Got it, firing!

Your HUD chirps, suddenly, and Eveline appears in the top right. She's an Oliperterian, so you can't really tell her expression from just her head. They're not hard to read, pretty much exactly like dogs, but with just the face you're a tad lost. This isn't a social event, anyhow.
Sydney? Did you find Phalanx?
A little busy, Evi! But yeah, I'm- shit!
A bullet strikes across your arm. The cyborg one, fortunately, so it doesn't affect much, but you are pinned down now that you were forced to stop firing. Oh well, your LMG was close to overheating anyhow.
Listen, you don't have long to cash in the bounty. They're sending in the Antonius Guard.
What!? They're the ones paying us!
Yeah. If you don't have a body to show them, they'll just take the fame and the money with them! I'll see what I can do to slow them down without them knowing it's me, but you know I have limited access to this ship!
To hell with it, we'll just have to hurry this up! Boost up the cybernetics, and get my pacemaker ready for the crash.
Are you sure?
After this, we'll be sitting pretty. I can be bedridden for a bit, all right?
I know it's pointless for me to say, but hell, try not to get injured too bad?

Your HUD turns off, and you already feel the override signal coming in to your cybernetics. All of them. Combat drugs, increased power to the limbs, your eight replacement legs are going into overdrive, and you start moving. Your helmet activates it's O² reserves as you activate the wallclimb. Grabbing your LMG with the cybernetic arm, You begin running across the walls, opening up the hull and rapidly causing the pressure to drop while you spray your LMG fire. You're hitting quite a few things, and you're certainly taking hits as well. You don't care, though, you've got so much drugs running through your system it's hard to care about anything. All at once, cover is rapidly getting destroyed, while your target begins to back off. He's clever, sure, but he's still a coward. Walking upside down, punching holes with every step, his last few henchmen are

What? What the fuck is happening? What the hell?

beginning to flee. You've got this in the bag. Then, suddenly, you get another message on your HUD.
SURRENDER NOTICE:
FINE, YOU WIN. [EXPLITIVE DELETED]

The enemy puts their hands up, and some of them start begging for oxygen masks. Hell yes, you get the alive bonus. Phalanx is getting out of his power armor, clearly not intending to fight to the death. damn right, you get to have a vacation when you're out of the Go

This isn't really happening. Something is tricking us.

rgon systems. You just need to

Whatever this is, this isn't right. We need to figure a way out of this. Sydney?

What will you do wi-***¨%%%£%%>23
boun¨%*%
*¨%****¨%

----------------------------------------

What?
What do you do next?
What is happening? How are you getting out of thi****

Where will you take your vacation?

Capital planet
It's the be*** pleasant, but dan***

Malicia
-ing vacation, may*** swimsuits.

Wake up
What?

Something is messing with our mind. How the hell are we getting out of this?
We need a plan. This makes no sense. How are we going to break out of this illusion?
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: June 21, 2019, 05:17:03 pm »

Fuck, I almost want to go with it, but that's another SG entirely.

In the meantime, I'm guessing they didn't account for soul #2 when they threw us into this illusion. HA!
For now, play along, act like we dont know something's off. Flip to Soulsight if possible - If something tries to kill us while we're in here, I'm pretty sure it'll look 73 different forms of f***ed up through those eyes.
Let's "relax" on the Capital Planet, try to kill the "big leader man."
When in doubt, make the damn thing pull a 404-Path Not Found.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: June 21, 2019, 05:17:21 pm »

PET THE HECKING KITTEN ALREADY.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: June 21, 2019, 05:19:23 pm »

Oh right I do have a kitten to pet thank you

Edit: ...well I cant bloody pet it with my head off. PvP is best logic. In any case, made the post because I'm a dunce.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 05:24:24 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: June 21, 2019, 06:04:45 pm »

Well I cant bloody pet it with my head off.

Not with that attitude!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: June 21, 2019, 08:35:21 pm »

Break the simulation by doing something like this

How do I make the link look like a word?

Thank you Egan
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:01:46 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: June 21, 2019, 08:38:54 pm »

By doing it like [url=https://youtu.be/gdEGWEQWoVU]this[/url].

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: June 21, 2019, 08:48:07 pm »

By doing it like [url=https://youtu.be/gdEGWEQWoVU]this[/url].
I tried but it didn't work. Did I miss something?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: June 21, 2019, 08:53:53 pm »

Looks like you just did it wrong.

Code: (mine) [Select]
[url=https://youtu.be/gdEGWEQWoVU]this[/url]

Code: (yours) [Select]
[url=https://youtu.be/gdEGWEQWoVU] https://youtu.be/gdEGWEQWoVU]this[/url]

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: June 21, 2019, 09:02:36 pm »

Thanks again.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: June 21, 2019, 09:11:14 pm »

Don't go along with it.  We don't know what's happening, and going along with it will be wasting time that we may not have.

What we need is something unique to ourselves that can't easily be ignored.  We have a few things like that.

The book of eternal darkness can be summoned, is part of us, and is very capable of sort-of-illusion stuff that doesn't seem to give a damn about others.. it was quite capable of summoning power to break serious spells in that other world.  Lets bring it out and see if we can look up a dispel, or at least force this illusion to simulate a giant library of books that we just shoved into it.

Two, we have our necromancy.  We don't have any mana, but raising bodies only takes away our max, not our current mana.  We should raise a few corpses and see what they actually are, as spoofing our necro-senses adds another degree of difficulty.

We also have two more things, our arm and our ability to consume others.  We can try to cut off our arm to get out of it, as both the experience of having our arm forcibly re-attach itself and changes in form should be strong enough to snap us out of whatever illusion this is.

I recommend we do the first two now.  If we're still stuck, we consume something next turn.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: June 23, 2019, 06:09:18 pm »

"And that'll be 80,000 credits, for bringing him in alive. Good work, Ms. Vaughn. Physical or digital?"
Physical. I'm leaving this system. On that note, I'd like to end my account, can you get me what's left of my account in physical as well?
"Very good, Ma'am. Would you like the severance package? It'll give you a ten percent discount on second class transport ships."
Does that include group travel?
"Sadly, no."
Then I won't take it. Where is the pickup for the physical?
"One street down, by Antonius Minting Palace. We hope to see you again!"
Unlikely.
The hologram closes down, the pleasant appearance of the welldressed woman blips out of existance with an unpleasant burst of static. Of course they didn't fix that thing up yet. THinsggggg

Time to change it up!
You activate your soulsight heatvision augmentation, and see the little cores of heat in everybody. You're not sure why you did that, considering that you're not in danger
Cores? That's not how bodyheat works. Sloppy. Still, it's not enough to get you out of it. Still, you need to end this little funtime. On that note, shouldn't you be in a hospital bed after "activating your augmentations" in the last battle? You suddenly remember your time in the hospital, the second you think of it. Wow, it's kind of struggling, but this isn't something you can overload, you don't think. What you need is an real upset, something that would affect the outside world. On a whim, you attempt casting a spell. Unfortunately, that only opened up a (really intrusive) menu on your HUD (how are people supposed to work with this much clutter around their vision?). Making things worse, you can use any of these abilities because you're in a populated area. Well, you're not staying on this railroad! Whatever a railroad is, anyhow, it sounds related to trains.
You elect to move on to the desperate move. Magic is blocked or changed to fit this illusion (though it seems too intricate. Maybe an alternate universe? You've learned about those...)
But there is one thing you're fairly certain will work. Though you're not looking forward to it. You look at your cyborg arm for a moment, and then look through your inventory for a moment. As you had hoped, there is still a sword in there. A large heat-based claymore, apparently meant to cut through bulkheads. Well, it'll do.

Yunikki, could you hold this for me?
Fine, human. But why do you need me to hold your arm?
I need some help for keeping it straight.
For what?
Let go as soon as things get weird, all right?
Don't do that! W-whatever you're doing, it's a bad idea! You hear Sucy say, clearly worried sick. God, this guy is downright BAD at this.
With a scream of effort (and almost instantly pain) you slam down your claymore on your arm. The cybernetics flesh and bone come apart, loosening entirely and causing the arm to drop to the floor, as Yunikki screams and jumps back.
You're back to reality! Your arm flops to the ground and almost instantly begins to writhe and squirm while you and Alexia both scream in pain. You see a strange orange haze around Yunikki, and when you look around, blinking tears out of your eyes you spot the abomination, who looks quite worried. Despite that, his reaction seems a bit unperturbed.
Damn.

As you had hoped, your arm instantly leaps back to your stump and reattaches itself. Your whole arm has a mixture of pain and tingling, even up to your shoulder and beyond, but you're busy disregarding that as you rush down your opponent. With the Ram Dao in your off hand, have to use your whole body weight into the blow, putting your shoulder into the swing. But it hits home! You splice nearly halfway through the entire tumorous mass that the Unending is formed with. The flesh peels apart in two near-equal halves, as mana sparks between the two halves.
You have cut the humanoid skull in two, but the myriad of mouths still speak.
Your victory here is irrelevant. We will find another way.
The mana begins to die down, and you can see many souls begin to leave the body. To your surprise, however, they take on a new form! A nearly shapeless entity, more a gaseous cloud than a creature!
Releasing control.

And then it's gone. Looking around, you're in the study of that city leader. The old man that tried to lure you into a trap not so long ago (even if it feels like months). Then, you hear a shaking voice coming from behind a desk.
I-is it gone!?
Well... Son of a bitch, look who's alive. You waste no time lifting him by the torso.
How are you still alive.
I! I was a power conduit for that creature! It needed some way to send mana flows and I was already connected! Please, I swear, I am not on Mantorok's side! You killed it's control over me!
Sure I did.
But... if you're back... My family! Are they all right! They can't be immune to this damnable plague, have you kept them safe!?

How will you answer this wretch?

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Cutting off the arm was the fastest way out, good on you for figuring it out. Hope you don't mind the later ramification. Give it an update or two.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: June 23, 2019, 08:39:44 pm »

"Your family is alive.  They are safe.. for now, somewhere nearby.  They are protected, if currently trapped.  If we win here, they will be as safe as I can make them.  If you know a route for them to escape, I won't keep them.

"Now it's your turn.  Prove yourself and I'll trust you.  Channeling mana?  Sounds good.  Fill me up, help me go murder the last creature downstairs, and you can come see your family."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:30:43 am by Devastator »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: June 25, 2019, 05:15:30 pm »

They're safe, and hidden away. Close to here. The location is well-hidden, and if I finish off the things in this tower, they'll be safer. I'm hoping to find an escape route for them, but for now I'm letting them stay put.
Oh, thank the Gods. I... Look, I couldn't stop them from unleashing this plague. They kept me safe, due to my potential use, but...
Save it. Prove yourself so I know you can be trusted. You said you channelled mana?
Well, yes. The Unending were unable to create their own mana. That's why they... They took up souls from the dead. The people that didn't mutate. I can only pray their souls will find rest..
They will. It's a universal con*ggrk* Suddenly, you feel as though your throat is suddenly constricted. Air refuses to move, and for a hot second you feel as though you're drowning. Then you spit out a large amount of black gunk, about a quarter litre. You follow it up with another spit.
*coff*... Seems like there's some new information. These souls... These ones ARE removed from existence. Oh man, that is some seriously bad news. We need to kill that thing as soon as possible.
Oh... Well, what do you intend?
I'm out of mana, and I can't regenerate in this tower. Juice me up, and we'll see about killing that thing downstairs.
What, the librarian? But he's invincible! I've seen it, monsters tried to get at it. It just floats them closer and tears them to pieces! Those arms... they aren't real arms, they're more like... apperitions! I don't know what in the hell he's become, but I don't see how-
Mana first, strategy later.
The old man stops babbeling, and just sighs, giving up. He stretches out his hand and begins to pull in... something. It's like a web that slowly ravels itself into a ball, eventually forming about a softball's worth of blue, wispy... stuff. It's hard to describe, as the material it's made of keeps shifting. The only constant is that it is see-through and gives off a bit of light. Then, he lets it float in the air, taking his distance.
Touch it. It's about all I can do at the moment. I've been... very tired. The man proceeds to just about collapse on a nearby pillow. He does it with a lot of grace, at the very least. You touch the ball of mana, and feel a quick burst of energy from it! You quickly grab it and push it inside yourself, as if you've done it before.
Right, now we...

The floor is spinning. All of a sudden, you feel your arm go from tingling to stinging, like a million needles are pricking it all over, but especially where it swaps over to your shoulder. You feel it begin to shake against your will, as you suddenly feel the wooden floor against your body. You can't focus on anything, your eyes are tearing up, and your heart is pumping so fast it's starting to hurt. Your breathing is deep and laboured, and you feel so light-headed... Stars enter your vision, quickly beginning to overtake everything. Soon enough, you're blind, as the needles continue to encroach upon your body. Then, you feel as though your muscles contract together, spasming and pulling like an elastic band. Sharp pains, followed by a burning lingering sensation spread across your back and your front. You feel yourself heave, liquid spills from somewhere and your breathing becomes more difficult. You feel as though you're drowning, a constant droning beeping noise is drowning out anything you could possibly hear. You just lie there in a sort of sensory deprived hell, too paralysed to even panic properly. The pain keeps going up to your spine and stops just at the belly button. Then, your vision begins to clear. You begin to feel again, though the pain remains.
SHE'S WAKING UP, SHE'S WAKING UP! PLEASE, I DID NOT DO THIS PLEASE! You hear the old man scream, and when you turn to the source, you see Yunikki has the old man pinned and is pointing her spear at the back of the man's head.
Ffffuck. The arm... It doesn't like getting cut, right. I... I forgot. Fuck. This hurts...
Yunikki makes a strange hissing noise, nodding, and gets off the old man.

There's probably no time to dwell on it, you'll look it over when you're safe. This armor does not allow you to look at yourself properly, though it certainly feels a lot tighter. You need to plan for the monster downstairs.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 216