Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185068 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #2925 on: April 30, 2019, 07:22:33 pm »

smsh clng

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: April 30, 2019, 09:17:43 pm »

Ask the kid if he can get something distacting with the bone, otherwise we might make a flash bang out of it and distract the birbs somewhere else
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: May 03, 2019, 06:24:14 pm »

You're an osteomancer, right?
Yeah, I've been bragging about it the whole time. Why?
Can you make a distraction for me?
I got flashbangs, sure. Want me to make one outta your friend's rib? Freaky, but ok.
I like this kid. Doesn't ask questions.
I find snooping around is better when it comes to finding answers.
I really like this kid. Don't touch my stuff.
He gets to enchanting, as you get ready below the hatch. You sniff once, and then hook your hand around the hatch and pull. Your considerable weight proves to be enough to start damaging it, and it doesn't take more than a token effort to get the ball rolling and sending most of the plaster surrounding the hatch crashing down. You follow up with some more effort, being able to abuse the added leverage to the fullest potential. It takes no time at all before you have enough room, though the floor is really messed up. You'll have to carry your allies up, the ladder is completely unstable. But that's a small bit of effort, after all, things are going well all-round.

Then the door explodes. A bird screech is followed, and you give yourself the time to sigh before grabbing your weapon. Why are things never easy?
BANG OUT! you hear the kid yell, which only barely gives you enough time to cover your eyes. More accurately, Alexia covered your eyes. Your ears, however, are ringing. You think you might be talking, but you can't confirm that. Might be you're making noises so you can notice when your hearing comes back. Either way, the kid and Sucy are quick enough on the draw to try to get up without you. Sucy is giving the kid a boost, to your surprise. You didn't think she had it in her. Though, guessing from how strained she looks, she might not really have it in her. Still, the kid manages to reach the edge. He tries to climb up, but  the brittle floor gives way. Yeah, that's your fault. Probably should have considered that one, as well. You hack the first few birds that come through to pieces, the disorientation from the flashback being worse for them than it is for you. Your hearing begins to come back, at least, just in time for you to notice that they're starting to bash at the doors in the previous few homes as well. You cannot stay here.
SUCY! AREA DENIAL!
Fine. You hear her just about snarl, having gotten the kid landing on top of her. She uncorks a bottle (where was she keeping that?), spits in it, and quickly throws it at the door where the birds are bottlenecking. The concoction explodes before it even lands on the ground, and a wild myriad of sparks begins to cover the area. The one bird foolish enough to test it out is quickly set on fire, and begins flapping its arms around in a wild panic. They look like firecrackers, but you really don't want to touch those. Still...

You haul Yunikki up first, over your shoulder. You make a small amount of distance, making sure that the ceiling won't collapse under her, and then you move on to the kid. You just pull him up with your hand, no need to go down to pick him up. He's an agile enough kid, the energy of youth keeping him strong. Sucy, however, isn't quite as good at swinging, and you have to make the effort to carry her over to relative safety.
The birds are rapidly filling up the area below, but Sucy threw down another potion (she's keeping them in her new pockets. Logical, actually.). You're not entirely sure what it's doing, but the birds don't like it very much, not even daring to touch the area.
Window, now!
Nodding, you grab Yunikki's unconscious body and move to the window. It's a bit of an awkward fit, but you manage to pull through. You lay her down on the ceiling, before heading back down. A few birds have begun climbing, but they're not overwhelming yet. They are climbing over eachother to reach the ceiling, and Sucy is fending them off with just a single syringe. One jab, and they're down, but she's down two of them already. She can't keep that up. Still...
You take the kid, and hurry up to the ceiling. Sucy can handle it for a few seconds longer. The kid is quick on the draw, nearly leaping out of your arms to get to the rooftops. You go down, and Sucy is alrady at the window, the birds are climbing up. You just pull her through the window, no time for finesse. She makes a startled, choked noise at your sudden move, but hangs on well enough. You reach the roof, at long last.

Now that you're here, you've got a few moments to think. More birds are approaching the house, but there's no obvious way to climb up, yet.
What now?

Find a hole at groundlevel, and keep moving.
You need to get to the hideout. Speed is of the essence.

Make distance over the rooftops.
A hole here would quickly surround you on all sides. Best to try and make some distance.

Hold out.
If you can thin the horde here, things will be going much easier.

Other.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: May 03, 2019, 06:31:56 pm »

Move, counter the inevitable fliers. By counter I mean bisect.

Oh, and cough a siphon down the hole we just ascended from. Easy money.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: May 03, 2019, 11:03:37 pm »

Move, counter the inevitable fliers. By counter I mean bisect.

Oh, and cough a siphon down the hole we just ascended from. Easy money.

This way we get a bit of distance and maybe thin the horde a bit, later they maybe will get dispersed on the other critters
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: May 04, 2019, 01:27:20 pm »

Thin them out with a good old siphon cloud first.  Then we can move.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: May 04, 2019, 04:31:31 pm »

Yee. Heavy air moves downward, so I imagine that's it's just going to be a messy miasmatic mess down there. Best move soon after casting that spell though. If we're confident enough that these fly by air, we could consider throwing up a smoke cloud or two behind us to keep em busy. It only costs one mana, so it would definitely be worth it.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: May 05, 2019, 02:59:48 pm »

One second, guys. You say, before turning around and flying downward into the window you just left. You choke up a bit first, and then unleash a massive, thick cloud of life-draining smoke. You don't hit anything directly, but it might just catch a few of them off guard. They're not exactly clever. Once that's done, you clamber back up and place Yunikki on your back again.
We should move.
You make an acknowledging grunt, and begin moving. You don't go at full throttle, both for keeping your blade at the ready and to make sure that the others can keep up. The one good thing you can mention about this architecture is that it's at least easy to go from roof to roof. The birds seem to be flooding into the buildings, still, mostly following the others. They're not really clever. Well, they aren't. But as you found out before...
You heard the whoosing before you heard the screeching, and you were just a tad too slow to attack. Dodging worked out, at least. They were going for your head, and you can dip pretty low compared to your rather horizonal undercarriage. You would have loved bisecting that harpy, but alas, you didn't notice her in time.
Then it starts screaming, which is just great. All the birds know where you are, now, so they rapidly begin to crawl out of the buildings, getting on the rooftops. To your shock, they started using eachother as stepping stones, their wings allowing them to gain just enough height. You breathe out some more smoke clouds, to at least try to slow them down. Your initial draining cloud likely dissipated at this point, though you feel marginally better than before. You must have hit a couple of them.

It doesn't take long before a few birds come bolting out of the smoke, headfirst and keeping their arms level at their torso. Their little bird tongue is flopping about as well. it'd be funny if it wasn't for the scraps of clothing, a grim reminder that these were all normal people until recently. Still, you saw a couple of them falling off the roof because of the smoke cloud, so that worked out all right. You keep on running, dodging the occasional harpy divebomb as smaller hordes converge on you. You need to take down that harpy, but nobody here is very well equipped for a flying enemy. Sucy is accurate, sure, but not when it comes to flying targets. Too much movement, provided it's even close enough to be in range. And while you need to keep moving, it's hard to get a good swing in. Eventually, though, Alexia just cuts to the chase. She sheaths the blade on your back, and before you can ask what the hell she's doing, she elects to close her fingers around the very thin torso of the harpy. You hear a few very noticeable pops and cracks as the body is twisted into an uncomfortable mess. You toss it aside, and you swear your arm feels tingly. If she was able, she'd be laughing.
With the harpy out of your hair, all that's after you is a few birds. They're rapidly clearing out, especially after some more gas to cover. Eventually, you drop down into an alleyway with the rest, and dodge most of the horde. Your party is wheezing from exertion, but you're glad to be done with that. Now...
How are you getting to the safehouse? Are you even headed there?

Gather up medical supplies and field medicate Yunikki
It'll take some doing, and you'll need a safer location as well. Still, might be easier to work without an unconscious body precariously placed on your body.

Get to the hideout through as much side-paths as you can find.
The main road can't go on forever. You should be able to find a way there without crossing the main street and appearing in the open.

Try to cross main street.
There has to be a quiet moment at some point. Alternatively, you can have a big distraction elsewhere. Maybe Sucy can make something?

Other.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

While I hate to do it after such a long hiatus, I'm going to unable to update for the following week. I will not have access to a computer until the 11th of May.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: May 05, 2019, 04:20:14 pm »

Take a hot sec to catch your breath and take stock. There's got to be a dead body or two around here you might be able to make a suitable undead servant with. With something like that, you could make a pretty creative distraction to cross main street with.

Maybe also ruffle the poor kid's head. The little guy has moxie.
BIRDS.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: May 08, 2019, 11:02:27 pm »

Yup.  We've got bodies, we have distractions of various kinds.  Flashbangs, or just them being there.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: May 09, 2019, 12:54:30 pm »

we can even trap our zombie with something that might explode later
Novice english wordsmith

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: May 12, 2019, 05:04:31 pm »

Look around. I'll use a few corpses to make a distraction. Might even make it explosive, who knows.
Oh, you're a necromancer? I thought you were just kind of a... you know... A meat wizard?
Healing magic, you mean? No. If only.
I mean, necromancy is just really late healing, yeah?
You roll your eyes at the little quip, and ruffle the kid's hair. He's rather against it, but that doesn't really stop you from doing it. If anything, it convinces you to keep going. His hair is actually quite nice, not nearly as scraggly as you would have expected. You're no barber, but you like to think you can tell good hair from bad hair. Anyway, it doesn't take long before more dead are found. They're... Well, they're honestly barely even corpses! It's just gore, occasionally interspersed with a bone or three. Something was either very violent, or a very messy eater. Or the plague does some exceptionally funky stuff in rare cases, but let's just hope there isn't some kind of meatball rolling around doing messy things to people's psyche's.
Oh what the hell, there almost certainly is.
Anyway, it takes quite a bit of extra mana to get anything useful out of it. It's a good thing you're not making a bone-zombie, you seriously don't have the time for that. It takes nearly all your mana to get your meatballs on legs moving, though you took the time to make them explosive, at the very least. You never had to work with just a collection of blood sausages and thin red paste before, but them's the breaks sometimes. You send the little meatballs moving, after shoving some sharp implements (like a board with a nail in it) into their flesh to serve as a makeshift weapon. Fortunately, undead can move as fast as biologically possible, which gives these particular little abominations at a speed above "pained waddle" but below "jog". Well, it doesn't need to look good.

Sending those things out there to make a lot of noise was easy enough, at least. You send them running, and watch as a small horde of birds come check them out rather than attacking. They look too odd to be attacked instantly, and you make use of the added distraction. You only have the mana to explode one of them, though, and that's only barely from the improved regeneration. You're going to feel that weird bit of lethargy from being at zero mana again... You really hate that feeling. It's only a mild discomfort, but it's constant.
When the birds have mostly gathered around the meatball on legs, you decide to pop it with a gesture, blinding dozens of the birds. You hear screeching and swooping, and you're fairly certain that the creature's started attacking whatever they could reach, including eachother. Well, they're certainly distracted now.
Your party reaches the relative safety of the alleyways once more, the big street is now a something that's done and dusted, at long last.
I can't believe we made it.
Son, we just crossed the street... You notice a lone lizard stalking around in the upcoming alleyway. The troubles aren't over quite yet. Let's not throw a party till' we're out of the city.
The lizardman was easily removed, at least. It didn't notice you as you stalked above it, and when it noticed the sudden shadow, your hand already enveloped the creature's head. You hear a disgusted scoff from Sucy as your crush the creature's skull like a wet paper bag. To your surprise, the creature doesn't fall over instantly, instead standing up for a few more moments before the legs give out. You hope that's an exception, not a rule. If those things are getting tougher, it might be time to get out of the city.

It takes a while before you can orient yourself, and finally, you find the hideout again, though you had to do some sneaking to get here without any further interruptions. Fortunately, these creatures don't look up much. If it wasn't for the harpies, rooftop travel would be the best way to go about it.
When you enter the hideout, however, you can tell something is wrong. You can hear whimpering in the dark, and when you get down you can see what the problem is. Several people are tied down, or put into what looks like a makeshift stocks. Made up of boxes, sure, but the blades put at gut level would likely convince somebody not to struggle too much.
Why. Why is nothing ever easy?
Well, they're tied down, and I'm sure Francine will be here soon to explain. MY guess? There was an infected amongst them and she's trying to find who was infected and who wasn't.
Suddenly, you hear a voice from above you. Francine, but... She sounds distant.
Mmmm~ exactly right. Ohhh, how I could just eat you all up.. I AM pretty hungry.
One of the people in the stocks begins yelling
Please! She just came in and started demanding we follow! I don't know what's wrong with that thing!
Francine slowly and steadily comes down from the ceiling, taking slow deliberate steps along the wall. Her head, however, is constantly turned towards you despite the angle. Her eyes look bloodshot and... vaguely purple?
This is something that REALLY shouldn't happen. What will you do?

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: May 12, 2019, 05:12:29 pm »

Boot to the head.  Except we don't have any.  Go smack her one.

Miiight have to kill her this time.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: May 13, 2019, 06:59:46 am »

Crush the cheeky vermin.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: May 14, 2019, 12:08:13 pm »

Ye. This can only end one way, and that way might end up with her having a mind-control slug forced down her throat.
BIRDS.

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 216