Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185790 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1935 on: May 07, 2018, 04:54:42 pm »

Other???
I'll do a lot of things if you just ask right now, tbh.
Minimalist RTD time, then!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: May 07, 2018, 05:46:07 pm »

We can play with that paranoic orc maybe that probably saw this whole thing happening

with the police officer, gathering info, beating turncoats and grabbing weapons for the grand-day

with the lamia? Deciding to take Sydney words in her heart and taking action against the driders

Kai, damn, he got saved by sydney and discovered that the same driders that almost killed sidney wan't him dead

.... hmmm I don't know what would we do while playing death

That drider-reporter, knowing too much or being hunted by helping an escapee and maybe she realized that she must be on the right side of the history and that the queens days is counted

If we are going to play a minimalist RTD i prefer to be somewhere else on the world so we don't screw ourselves too hard here

maybe a hero going into a rogue-like dungeon

HOLY FUCK WE CAN PLAY WITH  OUR PAPA HOW WILL HE REACT WHEN THE DRIDER-CLONES ARRIVE ON THE DARKEST DUNGEON AS MERCENARIES?
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: May 08, 2018, 04:11:04 pm »

Right.

Minimalist RTD Time!

Basic rules:
There is always going to be a 6-sided die roll for most actions. The results are as follows:
1. Critical failure! You not only fail at your task, you do it so spectacularly that you suffer even worse consequences.
2. Failure. You don't succeed at your task. How bad that goes for you is to be seen.
3 Meager success. You succeed, but only barely. You may not have the exact effect that you wanted, but it's close enough
4 Success. You made it. Your action goes as you hoped.
5 Critical success! You not only succeed, you do it so well that you gain a bonus of some sort. Perhaps your attack was so great that you strike a different enemy,
6 Overshot! You tried a little too hard. You put yourself or others in trouble with this action, because you managed it to almost superhuman ability. Nice one, idiot.

Wound system
You can generally only take three "wounds" before dying. At three wounds, you are considered at Death's door and you take a penalty in your rolls.
Wounds are acquired as you'd expect. When something hits you in some way, you will take a wound. Some effects take a little while to cause a wound, such as poison or bleeding. You can remove a wound on your character by successfully resting, having a healer take care of you, or taking the time to medicate yourself.

All heroes have three wounds they can take, unless specified otherwise (for instance, the grave robber only has two wounds she can take)
Death is permanent.

Defence rolls
Defending yourself against an enemy is a free roll. The same rules apply as the normal rolls, with the difference being that overshooting is less likely to punish you.

Stress
The dungeons in the estate of horrifying. Taking too much stress damage will cause you to be Afflicted, forcing you to act in a certain way, and gaining some penalties (or even bonuses) to some actions. A fearful character will gain a -1 to all rolls, but his defence rolls go up by 1.

Combo rules
You can attempt to help your ally in succeeding. In that case, you both roll, and the best roll is used to complete the action. This means, as close to 5 as possible. Note, however, that failure would put you both in hot water, and overshooting together is likely to result in outright casualties.

Free actions
some actions don't require a roll to succeed in. Holding your breath for a few seconds, or just plain shouting an order, things like that are free to be combined with whatever strikes your fancy.

Guaranteed actions
Some actions don't actually require a roll to succeed, but take up enough time to cost a turn, anyway. These include Mark and Detect Weakness.

"You will arrive along the old road.

It winds with a troubling, serpent-like suggestion through the corrupted countryside, leading only, I fear, to ever more tenebrous places. There is a sickness in the ancient, pitted cobbles of the old road, and on its writhing path, you'll face viciousness, violence and perhaps, other damnably transcendent terrors.

So, steel yourself, and remember, there can be no bravery without madness. The old road will take you to hell, but, in that gaping abyss, we will find our redemption."

You fancy yourself a hero. More likely, you are a fool for venturing here, your arrogance only eclipsed by your wanton disregard for your own mortality. Nevertheless, you are precisely what this war has need of. What would you call yourself?

Classes Only one person per class. You can design your characters as you wish, so long as they fit the given ruleset.
Abomination
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Antiquarian
Arbalest
Bounty Hunter
Grave Robber
Hellion
Leper

You are given fairly free reign on your characters, and you are even allowed to bring in an extra item. If you wish to have caltrops for your bounty hunter, you may. If you wish to have books with you, you can. If you want a concubine to follow you, you can do that (though I'LL decide just how good that is for you...)
Right, go nuts. If there are more people than there are classes, you are allowed to make your own class. I will have to look at it and decide whether or not I'll accept it, however.  Anybody is free to join.

NOTE: this is STILL in the Web Of Life universe. The situation is just lifted wholesale from darkest dungeon. So yes, you will be seeing Sydney's father here.

And finally: You're not here to succeed or even to survive. You're here to die. Death can happen in an instant.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:44:55 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: May 08, 2018, 04:17:51 pm »

I call abom!

We appear to have no direct healing heroes! Joy!
...As my extra "item", could I learn Wyrd Reconstruction? Having an actual heal would be nice. :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:33:47 pm by Egan_BW »

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: May 08, 2018, 04:42:59 pm »

What, no Flagellant?  :(

I call Leper! My item shall be the head of a highwayman named Dismas, otherwise known as Dismas's Head.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:57:04 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: May 08, 2018, 05:17:21 pm »

And no DEUS VULT. It's like you're not even trying! ;P

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: May 08, 2018, 06:07:08 pm »

I seek the path of the Antiquarian, and carry an heirloom of sorts. An elder bestiary of creatures most foul.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: May 09, 2018, 04:08:06 am »

I call abom!

We appear to have no direct healing heroes! Joy!
...As my extra "item", could I learn Wyrd Reconstruction? Having an actual heal would be nice. :P

Wyrd heal will remove one wound, but will CAUSE a wound if failed. Overshooting will be a surprise. Probably not a good one.

I seek the path of the Antiquarian, and carry an heirloom of sorts. An elder bestiary of creatures most foul.

Wish granted. You have the Third Tome of Eternal Darkness.

I call Leper! My item shall be the head of a highwayman named Dismas, otherwise known as Dismas's Head.
Despite Dismas still being alive, you still have his head. Time is convoluted here. You gain +1 on wounds, but people won't take kindly to carrying a human head in a sack, and you take a lot more stress damage.
This also means that, as a leper, when you hit a target it's likely to result in giblets rather than a corpse.

And no DEUS VULT. It's like you're not even trying! ;P

There is a selection of heroes not made available for both game and plot reasons. The highwayman and the crusader have already been met in the story, and they are still alive. Bounty hunter was going to be restricted, but I figured that "bounty hunter" can be done due to Sydney's father being distanced from the bounty hunter character in Darkest Dungeon.
No outright healing classes is also intentional. There are NPC healers, mind, but there's no guarantee they'll like you.
I intend to kill you. But you'll have a fighting chance.

And, more importantly, you have free reign over your character. Nothing's stopping you from being all DEUS VULT with a different class! In fact, it's encouraged. I love religious zeal in warriors.

A second update will follow later today where I give you your contexts. There is now a mercy period for other people to join or to switch classes.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 09, 2018, 04:48:35 pm »

So, you people are the next in line? The next fools to brave the impossible? I'll be sure to see you soon again, I'm sure. I'm sure. Says the coachman as he drives you on that twisting, terrible road. You found the coach at the agreed upon location, and sure as clockwork there are always new men and women ready to brave these dungeons. The money was good, so no reason not to go for it, no?
Suddenly, the coachman starts laughing. He already seemed... off, but something about his laughter seems desperate and afraid.
THEY'RE ON OUR TAIL! HAHAHAHA! I MAY JUST FIND THE END AFTER ALL! Hooting and hollering, the coach starts rocketing forward at breakneck speeds, forcing the three of you to hold on!
After a tense five minutes of shaking, almost tipping and the horrible sounds of gnashing and barking hounds visible just outside the cart, suddenly, a corner is taken just a bit too sharply. With a terrifying lurch, the cart falls over as the horses are tipped over from the crushing weight. The madman controlling the cart flies away, out of sight, and the hounds are upon you!
You just barely crawl out of the wreckage, and stand close together as the hounds close in!

DolosusDoleus
You were the first to climb out of the wreckage, with your weapon at the ready. There are four dogs around you, circling you and the others. A small, chain-covered man is just barely climbing out of the wreckage, and a strange woman garbed in all manner of cloths and bags is stuck under some wood. The dogs look... wrong, emaciated and wounded beyond anything that would allow movement.
Still, they look small and weak. One hit should do it, hell, you could probably hit multiple targets, if they die easy.
Health: 4/4
Stress: 0/75

Egan_BW
Dazed from the crash, you see the shape of four small creatures and a man standing tall next to you. You also hear increasingly worried groaning from a figure stuck under some of the rubble. Your vision clears after shaking your head a little. Those dogs are getting read to attack, they've surrounded the lot of you. You don't see the coachman anywhere...
Your chains are ready to fly and crash into an enemy. Though perhaps it would be better to help one of your allies? The man with the sword seems a little unsteady, and that mask can't be good for his sight. And that woman would likely prefer having that block of wood off her...
Health: 3/3
Stress: 0/100

RAM
You ended up in a bad position after that crash! You have some powders available that you can reach, but you can hardly defend yourself when you're pinned like this! The wood is on top of your legs.  Those dogs look hungry... Perhaps it'd be better to stand ready to stab one rather than focusing on lifting this damned log! Perhaps you could spot something to use to your advantage, or something?
Health 3/3 (Immobilized, -1 to def rolls)
Stress: 5/100

NOTE: Others are still free to join, but they will not be part of the current situation. They will already be in town.
Neat stuff I do:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 09, 2018, 05:47:57 pm »

(Given free reign over my character, I'll go ahead and say that my abomination is female. That would be an easy enough mistake for the legally-blind leper to make in the middle of combat, of a moderately mutilated person covered in chains. :P )

"Join our cult, they said. Seek eldritch power, they said. It'll be fun, they said..."

Use my chains to assist the guy with the big sword.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 09, 2018, 06:10:39 pm »

“The tide rises. And the tide falls.”

Cleave these nuisances in twain.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:29:21 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 09, 2018, 07:14:53 pm »

"Grrrrrmmmmphfff!"
A hissing smoking bag(flashpowder) emerges from robes, cast between the ruin and the wolves.
"By the accursed stars this blackguard rubble shall release its hold or face a reckoning most heinous!"
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: May 10, 2018, 09:57:00 am »

RAM
Your attempt at throwing some flashpowder is a resounding success! (Roll: 5). The powder manages to fly right against the snout of one of the dogs, causing it to howl and whine in pain. It runs off in a confused daze, taking it out of the fight. The other dogs are also affected by the powder, and they all suffer from it! You may be down under a block of wood, but you're damn well not out!
Feel free to shout something along the side of victory shout!

Egan_BW
That guy with the big sword seems like somebody who knows what he's doing, that's clear. It's best to help him kill something, no? (Combo action!) With your chains at the ready, you send them flying at closest dog and yell at your ally to strike the thing down! Your chains hit the dog over the head, stunning it long enough for the man to send his blade crashing down. To your dismay, however, he somehow finds it within himself to friggin' MISS!?
The massive blade comes crashing down into the dirt, even if the leper quickly recovers, that's a missed opportunity! At least the dog is still a bit stunned, and that flash of light might just help out...

DolosusDoleus
With your poetry out of the way, you force your full might into the next blow. You are too close to properly see the dog, your mask disallowing you to look down. You are about to fumble entirely, when you suddenly hear a chain below you, and the wine of a dog. With a quick adjustment, you slam down your blade where the noise was, and feel the blade softly entering the ground rather than any sort of accursed flesh!
(Combo roll: 4(Egan_BW) 1(DolosusDoleus). Highest roll used for the Leper. 4= Miss! (welcome to leper-town, baby)

The dogs, distracted as they are by that flashpowder, attack the big blade-wielding warrior and the immobilized fighter!
Rolls:
1-1=EXCEPTIONAL FAILURE
1-1= EXCEPTIONAL FAILURE
3 -1=2 (failure)

Two dogs, intimidated by the fearsome visage of this massive, bandagewrapped man combined with their blindness, causes a simultanious leap at the man. He does not even flinch as the teeth fly towards his breastplate, but then the dogs collide in mid-air. Their minds too addled by rabies to care about the flesh they eat, they start tearing into eachother. Both tear and wrench at the piece of flesh they got. The one that was stunned by the chains is the first to die, but in its death throes it tears off a chunk of flesh from the other dog! The dog starts bleeding profusely, almost certainly lethally... It just needs a little more time before it dies properly.

The other dog rushes at the weakened target, as the other two dogs tear each other apart. The powder is still wrecking its sight, however, and it bites down on the wood, instead, before backing off again.

One dog remains, through a staggering bit of incompetence on their part. How did they even keep up to the carriage?
What now? The antiquarian is still trapped, everyone else is mostly fine (the leper will see that the figure in chains is female in just a moment.)

Neat stuff I do:

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: May 10, 2018, 11:45:58 am »

”The storm infuriates the sea...”

Lift the wood off of the trapped woman. She can’t fight if she can’t move!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:54:23 am by DolosusDoleus »

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: May 10, 2018, 01:42:54 pm »

Grave robber

" I've Bought some time ago a weird lucky talisman that the oriental who gave it said this one was special, it was adorned with a drider carapace

quite lucky if it wasn't for some weird dreams about a crying drider either asking for her father either for her kids, this shit is stressing me out, better take another beer and see if I find some meatbags, I am going soon to enter that hellhole"
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 216