Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185957 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1305 on: December 21, 2017, 05:20:06 pm »

We could also try meditating on The Crimson Curse. It might be that we can use it to fight vampyism directly.

It seems that vampyism takes time, otherwise the child would have just injected a boatload of the stuff as soon as they threw their first tantrum. But short of overdosing deliberately there is little that can be done to exploit that short of resolving this quickly, which we already intend. Maybe an overdose would buy us more time by making further treatments dangerous? Or maybe they are slowing the process for some other reason, like it granting them greater control over us? Still, rushing the process does feel like an act of desperation. Well, it probably means that we are relatively safe until the required time has passed...

We could try just ignoring reality and overtly treating Vampy like a child. Also we should climb the tower. The view from the tallest tower should be decent. It is about as far from an escape attempt as one can get, unless we can figure out a way to spin a giant wind-catcher and fly away. Seeing their response might also be interesting, it would make us relatively inaccessible while still being well within their territory.

Aslo, any decent warrior loves having suitable equipment. The guy clearly is looking only at ideals and has no concept of pragmatism.

But as a general rule, we should avoid further exposure to vampy's blood. this does not seem like a strain that we want anything to do with. The speed is nice, but this is a human strain, so it probably doesn't translate well into arachnid ichor and hydrolics. If we are going to have vampirism, then it should be proper bug/human hybrid vampirism. Okay, Crimson curse is more insects than spiders, but still...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 21, 2017, 05:42:37 pm »

Actually, spinning a wind catcher sounds like a really good plan.  We also don't need to regain mana, we're full.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 21, 2017, 06:02:29 pm »

We also don't need to regain mana, we're full.

oh, my braincells stopped working. I somehow saw the mana depleted (?)
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 21, 2017, 08:44:19 pm »

I am pretty sure that, at a minimum, we would need a frame upon which to spin a windcatcher, and it would likely need to be somewhat massive, and the vampire could likely run faster than we would drift, and the author is unlikely to give us flight so easily, even if it is lame flight. But I guess we could spin a web between two towers, just play it off like natural spider business, then try to fill in the holes overnight and wait for a gust before signalling some undead to sever the anchors smultaneously... Still a bit of an insane plan, and leaves us with a mad vampire and no good way to stop them.

But maybe we could pretend to do all of that to lure Vampy onto the web and then set it on fire?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 21, 2017, 09:10:37 pm »

"WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU MAKING A WEB THERE?"

"Oh you know, if I am going to turn into an eternal drider I shall begin to think bigger, a web to hunt perfect birds so I can reanimate them and have aerial control and an bigger surplus of scouts, together with the spiders i shall hunt some bigger beasts so I can work on my meat golems till we start to marching into neighboring lands"

"You just wanna catch me and put fire on my body, right?"

"Also"

"It's to stay away from me?"

"Too, you're horrible at flirting"
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 21, 2017, 11:46:43 pm »

It would be easy to leave the parts around without raising suspicion, and we can then assemble the parts quickly.  Besides, it doesn't need to fly a long way, just outside the castle, where we then leg it.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 22, 2017, 09:01:28 am »

Sooo... How are you doin' to-DAY! Death says, rolling a bowler hat down his arm and flipping it on his head with a welltimed shoulder toss. He's got a different cadence to him, today, as if he's a singer of some type. He certainly looks the part, with his spiffy suit and bowler hat. He looks like a skeleton with an impressive jawline, if you look past the clothing.
I'm not doing too well, I think.
Mmm-hmm. I can tell, little lady. You're a step closer to undeath than before, and trust me, that's some bad jazz, ya dig?
...What!? You mean to tell me this is LITERALLY killing me?
He waves his finger side to side as he shakes a no.
Closer to UNDEATH, baby. Means you're close, but not quite a cigar, right?
I don't... Just what are you doing?
Heyyy, last guy I did figured death was a party and life's a bore. Who am I do deny 'im that kinda fun!?
Fair enough... Look, I need your help. Is there any way I can control undead that don't belong to me?
Hmm... Yeah, I guess so. Didn't they teach you that at the school?
Controlling another necromancer's minions is considered very rude, apparently
Hm. Well, you'll be gettin' an understanding of how it works fairly soon, but... I can't guarantee it'll be easy for ya.
I'll take it, anyways. Is there anything I can do about this vampire's corruption?
Nope. 'Part from goin' cold turkey for a long while.
Alright, so this isn't permanent, at least... One more thing, this... werewolf I killed? Its soul is still there.
Mmm-hmm. Well, it brought it upon itself. not my problem that nobody's killin' it with a silvery bit of cutlery.
So... Can she still feel anything?
What would she feel? Ya need a brain to feel, and she's got very little grey matter knockin' 'bout right now, y'know.
I... Guess that's kind of a relief.
Say, honeybuns, I'd say you better hit the road. I got clients to be at, and you got vampires to deal with... Might not be best they see us minglin' the way we do, ey?

Almost instantly, the connection shatters. You spit out some of the last goop that was coming through. There's quite a bit of goo, but it seems to be disappearing rapidly. You... didn't get anything about controlling those undead, though. Death's probably waiting for a more appropriate time. You delve into the book in the meantime, though.
The book doesn't mention anything about driders in particular. You suspect this book really only deals with the eldritch or things that are fundamentally wrong. So you're normal in that sense, at least. You're kind of confused as to why fluffy wamblers are in this book, though. That seems to imply something really weird about those adorable little teddy bears. As for corruption, the book only mentions that you can counter it with a more preferred corruption. So, you know, if you wanted to counter this, you could try summoning and implanting a Kos parasite. Trade in the vampirism for tentacles and a grotesque look.
Not really an option.
You do get an idea of what to do if you ever get outside, at least. It'll be the biggest web you've ever made, but if he keeps on feeding you, you should be able to manage. A web, from the tower to a nearby roof(While putting it between towers would be dandy, those things are a LONG distance away from eachother.) You'll be able to catch birds and eventually glide your way out of here. As fast as the vampire is, he can't fly. Probably.

Still, you'd need some stuff to make it work. For one, you're going to need something to "plug" your web up, so it can catch enough wind. You could try to do that with your own webbing, at least. Second, you need some way to actually hang on to it, preferably something that could hold your weight. Some way to steer would also be good, but to do that you'd need a framework and some rope to pull the wings. And you'll have to do all that without being detected, on a roof where patrols regularly see what's happening. And smuggling supplies past them all.
...On second thought, maybe sneaking past a guard and climbing down the wall would be easier. Still, catching birds and keeping distance from the man-child seems to be preferable. You'll still try out the web if you ever get outside.
You do get your little dragon started on killing whatever bug it can find. Considering the lizard was a capable predator in regards to bug catching, it shouldn't take too long to gather up a pile of little monsters. Not to mention, no mana investment! Still, it'll take a while before you get anything good, especially considering the cleaning staff is rather diligent. The introduction of traps to the castle is the only reason you'll be able to find any of them at all! Fear is a powerful motivator, you suppose.

As you loaf around the room a little more, you wonder what else you can do. The window is still too small for you, and the door remains locked. These doors are serious business, too, solid oak. The sun's already up a ways, and the vampire still hasn't called for you. You wonder if he's...
YOOO, SIDNEY!
You turn to your left, your face a mask of death at the potential new threat. Instead, you see the small girl, the one that called herself a dragon, squatting in the window. This is dozens of meters in the air! How did-Oof, ya don't like surprises, do ya? If looks could kill, i'd be dead... Meh, nah, more like a knock te ma face!
What... What do you want?
I wanted to have a look-see at the lady me friend's always yakkin' about. Gotta say, good stuff. You LOOK like you'd be able to knock out somebody who's explodin'
Who is this friend of yours, anyhow?
Can't really tell ya. Sorry. Some magical oath thing to stop us from betrayin' eachother. Might make my head pop off. Still, imma introduce you to the best thing ever: Me!  Me name's Sette Hummagem, and I'm the best thief you've ever seen, period!
I see yer not clappin' yet. Fair 'nuff. You haven't seen me in action yet, have you? Anyway, I got you some clothes. That vampire shirt don't really fit you.
She throws a blouse forward, having it land on the floor.
I figured you don't really use pants, but I got a skirt if ya want.
This will do fine, thank you, but... Where did you get these? They're not your size/
Pfft, rub it in why don't ya? My development's perfect normal fer my age!
You didn't answer the question.
Vamp likes his occasional concubines to dress more western. What can you do? Prolly saved that little blouse from blood spatters.
You stole this from the vampire, you mean?
Yup, right under his nose. He's actually sulkin' in his room right now! I don't know what ya did, but it musta been mean. I like you!

She jumps inside the room, and begins to look around. She quickly takes notice of the book. You take notice of her. She really is quite small, and you think you may have been correct in saying she's hardly out of her tweens.
Heyyy, now there's a precious antique! How long have you had this?
A few days. And I'd prefer to keep it, if you don't mind.
Ah, don't worry. I don't steal anything that can be traced back to me easily. I don't wanna get on yer bad side quite yet. I steal for the rush, ya know? And to show the fancy ponces what for.
Uhh, Uhuh...
Her shirt is rather lowcut, showing off her neck as she takes a closer look at the book. You're feeling a little... odd.
Is it already that time? Can't be, you took a vial not TOO long ago!
But, then again, it's been days and you've been healing from injuries so...

Sette. I need you to leave. I've got a... problem. It's been a bit too long since I drank blood, and-
What? Oh crap! Yeah, I forgot. You're ALREADY kind of a vampire. S'kinda cool, but...
You can almost hear her heartbeat. You don't usually feel this thirsty about it, but...
Yeah, I'm going now. Don't like those eyes of yours. I'll, uh, hang a "do not disturb" sign outside. Yer eyes are looking a little hungry.
You watch her leave, not letting her leave your eye for even a second. GOD you're thirsty. it should be this fast
You bite your lip nervously, and quickly flinch as you somehow draw blood! You suck on the wound a little to avoid making a mess, and carefully touch your teeth.
Fangs. You've grown fangs.
Oh gods.

Most of the morning seems to pass without much else happening. At least, nobody tries to enter. You, on the other hand, feel antsy, agitated. You know it's not nearly as bad as when you go completely cold turkey on blood, but that vampire's blood must make you far more dedicated towards feeding. You can't stop yourself from scratching your arms and shaking as your body feels wrong.
You need some blood in you, but you can't leave the damned room! Your arms are covered in scratches, occasionally even drawing blood. You feel like an addict, weak-willed and pathetic. A thought that does not aid your disposition. Eventually, you start hitting the door, more as a way to vent. But soon, the door is opened.
The vampire enters the room, looking quite smug.
You've been tearing this room apart, my guard says.
You feel your heart beating hard enough to almost hurt.
Surely you can keep your discipline?

Attack him!
You need blood. He'll do.

Admit you need blood
Whatever he did, it worked. You can hardly think about anything other than blood.

Bite through the pain. Keep your composure.
This boy will NOT get the best of you. Will use 1 RESTRAINT point.

Other.
An new mechanic has been added in the wake of this corruption. Explanation below.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Restraint points are a representation of Sydney's willpower. When she needs to make a real, true SOLID effort of willpower, she will spend one point. These points will be regained after a long rest or special events that would logically lead to her trying harder. These points will not be used to help you work past physical limitations, as Sydney will naturally do that by default. She's a survivor, after all.

I also apologize for the delay in today's update.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 02:57:21 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 22, 2017, 04:21:41 pm »

Use two restraint points to attack him without blood drinking.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 22, 2017, 04:33:15 pm »

we had our vials of blood

we can resist the urge now and try to get the vial with the dragon/girl the vampire surely HAS a stock (our spider can scout the place and find it)

we also can say something " Here, if you don't coming here with a blood that is not yours, a dinner and an excuse for being an horrible flirt i am gonna enter in a state where it lacks composure but is the personification of authority, if you wanna talk just do this and we can go back in good terms"

This way we are asking for something without begging, and if he denies we can still have a plan B to solve this.

When we get time i suggest in advance to make the following questions " something about two souls/personalities in one body" "something queen of spiders" because we remember that an elderitch being talked about this and the queen acted as she knows nothing
Novice english wordsmith

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #1314 on: December 22, 2017, 06:43:36 pm »

Achievement Unlocked: Ariel from hell.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 22, 2017, 06:58:46 pm »

we can resist the urge now and try to get the vial with the dragon/girl the vampire surely HAS a stock (our spider can scout the place and find it)

we also can say something " Here, if you don't coming here with a blood that is not yours, a dinner and an excuse for being an horrible flirt i am gonna enter in a state where it lacks composure but is the personification of authority, if you wanna talk just do this and we can go back in good terms"

This way we are asking for something without begging, and if he denies we can still have a plan B to solve this.

When we get time i suggest in advance to make the following questions " something about two souls/personalities in one body" "something queen of spiders" because we remember that an elderitch being talked about this and the queen acted as she knows nothing
+1
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: December 22, 2017, 07:01:11 pm »

I think that it is pretty clear that this means spending a single point of restraint, but it might help to be explicit on resource expenditure.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: December 23, 2017, 06:41:11 am »

Gritting your teeth, you change your stance before the vampire. This will NOT defeat you.
...Indeed. I CAN.
Really now? Are you certain? I have a bloodbag available, some girl that thought it a good idea to stab me after our night of fun.
You... You can't help but swallow. It's VERY difficult to keep your composure, but through a mighty force of will, you manage. You are not degrading yourself to this, no matter how much it hurts.
You DISGUST me. You offer another, and for what? To get "closer" to me? It's pathetic. You spit in his direction at the last word. You know you look absolutely ragged, but you still stand proud above him. He rapidly begins to lose HIS compure (what little there is).
NO! You will destroy yourself over a petty grudge! This thirst is impossible to resist, and this is your first! HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS!? He grabs you by the collar. As you are, you can hardly even resist the pull, but your expression remains unchanging. You didn't even blink.
I think you know how.
He pushes you back, and gives a short roar as he leaves the room in a huff. The second the door closes, you release the breath you didn't know you were holding. You nearly collapse in a shaking fit, the desire for blood becomes harder and harder to ignore. But for now, you are the victor.

An hour later, your throat and stomach are burning in agony. A hunger more intense and horrible than anything you've ever felt before is assaulting both mind and body. You can't even manage to move much anymore, instead lying on the bed, shaking and scratching yourself however you can. But you will NOT fall to this child's attempts at making you dependent on him, and you most CERTAINLY won't kill somebody for the blood.
Holy shit, you look BAD. You hear from the side. You turn your head, and see Sette standing there.
Blood vial in hand.
You can hardly talk, wheezing out G-give! Please! as you reach towards the vial. Sette is quick to flinch back at the sudden "attack". You can hear her heartbeat, smell her blood... Her jugular is so visible you can see it move her blood.
After the first flinch, you force yourself upright, starting to move towards her. However, she quickly hands you the vial.
The cork goes flying after you bite it off, and you drain it in one go. For a moment, all the pain and hunger disappears, and you finally fall back in the bed in a manner you can call restful. After catching your breath again, and finally stopping your near-on panic, you finally talk. Still a bit weak, but you sound like your old self again.
Thank you. Truly... I felt like I was going to die!
Yeah, the "first feeding" they call it. They taught me about that before we went here, 'n case we had to deal widda Bride... Uh, not that you're one, or anything. Yer too resistant.
Lovely... So, where'd you find this, anyway?
Vampire's room. He keeps all yer stuff there, so i'm guessin' he plans on givin' it back.
Let's hope it's really JUST for safekeeping... I find new stains, I'm not wearing it.
Imma pretend I don't know what ya just implied!
Probably for the best.
Right, anyhow, I gotta go. Vampy sent me on a raid on yer camps. Anything you want from there?
What kind of raid?
The type where nobody's supposed ta see me. Of course, I'm just gonna be yakkin' to my partner.
...Get me some of my spare clothes. I stashed them at camp. I'll be using the blouse you got for me, but I'd like my own clothing around too, you know.
Right, you got it. Oh! That reminds me. Here!

The girl hands you a fairly thick armlet, closer to an ornate bracer than jewelry.
It's an old thingy I "found" once. You press this button here to make a shiv pop out! Not quite me style, but I figger you'd like it!
You thank her for the gift, and she just about jumps out the window with a quick wave goodbye. When you look out the window, you see that she landed in a pile of hay.
That really shouldn't have been enough to break her fall, but she seems to be fine, based on her speedy run to the gates of the castle. She probably knows a few tricks that aren't JUST a thief's.

You remain in your room a little while longer, until you hear loud crying from the hall. Before you can try to listen more carefully, the door flies open! The vampire stomps in the room, holding an eastern woman by the arm before throwing her in the room.
You WILL need to fee-... What.
Something wrong?
You look... You shouldn't look this good. No. You should be WASTING AWAY. WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS.
I suppose I'm just a bit stronger than you, no?
B-but this should have been your first feeding!? He sounds completely and utterly confused, his voice cracking.
To think you once thought of him as imposing.
Guess it's not so bad.
He leaves again, in another huff. He leaves the girl behind, as well. After a little while, the girl looks around in fear. She's dressed rather inappropriately, to say the least. Little more than an ornate bikini covers her young, fit body. She must be a dancer by trade, you recognize the type from the eastern travelers. Her chocolate skin seems to show she's from the southern parts of the eastern lands.
Likely a slave.
She doesn't seem to speak much common, and she's currently against the wall in near fetal position. She must be convinced that she's going to die by your hand.

Throw her your shirt
You need to switch into the blouse, anyway. This girl could use some covering up.

Give her the blouse and skirt.
You can deal with just the vampire's shirt. This girl should get some clothes.

Give her no clothing
She might take it the wrong way if you throw clothing at her. You don't know the culture.

Ignore her.
She might just be a spy, instead. No matter how childish, the vampire can't be underestimated.

Try to talk to her
Perhaps, with some coaxing, you can communicate.

Other

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Edit: added in the empty vial for the inventory
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:45:37 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: December 23, 2017, 02:50:15 pm »

Offer her the shirt.
Try to talk to her.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: December 23, 2017, 04:02:40 pm »

We could really use some blood storage, if only we hadn't eaten the vial. Maybe we could warp some undead beetles together into a sealed container of some sort... Wouldn't be the nicest drinking vessel, but we have stuck our pedipalps into some unpleasant things... We could probably mime our way into asking for blood. Prick our finger, drop some drops of blood into the container, make a drinking motion, then pull her finger over it, and then make a drinking motion... Of course, extracting enough blood to drink is a difficult and dangerous process, but I hope that we were briefed on it at some point either as part of vampirism counselling, magical reagents and necromantic resource acquisition, or from observations during our time as a test subject. Of course, we aren't going to convey a message like that coherently while she is terrified, so all of that is just speculation for now.

We could almost certainly lower her down the tower with some silk, but she is not likely to get far in her current state, even without the vampire's army out there.

We still have the revealing nightclothes the vampire left for us right? Combined with the vest they should be decent enough for the girl even if they are horrifically mis-sized and ill-fitted.

Likely the best way to win her trust is to go to the far side of the room and take a submissive/defenceless/nonthreatening posture... It's not shameful... She is clearly not a threat to our countenance, and we have plenty enough dignity to lend some to her! Although she might take it to mean that she is being made into some sort of bride and we are her maid, but taking distance is pretty sound by itself, let her have the run of the room...

And she probably is a spy, I mean, basically everyone here has been beaten into submission, so it is safe to assume that everyone would report everything if questioned, but still, no need to be impolite, and a spy in our room is little different than a spy right outside of it...

It is worth noting that the vampire might react poorly to his "gifts" A.K.A. "property" being given to a slave. There is not much as we can do about that really... Better to make plans on how to stab Vampy in the back when he focuses on her than to just leave her naked and desperate and hope that he overlooks her and leaves her here to starve. Maybe we could use some silk to adjust the outfit to make it look like maid's garb? We might be able to convey her as a lady-in-waiting...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 216