Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185978 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1290 on: December 18, 2017, 04:23:27 pm »

Before you do anything, you decided to get a feel as to where, exactly, your familiar currently is. As you suspected, it's right outside the room, sitting on the doorframe. Considering the door is locked, however, you can't really get him inside the room right now. Returning to the note, you write your name on the paper, and add a small "yes" next to it. If this is going out to your party members, you should probably have somebody who can write make it clear that it's you doing the talking. To add to that, you also describe what happened, or as much as you can fit on a small piece of paper like this. It's short, but it gets the job done. They should know about the vampire's attempts to convert you into a vampire like him, and that you are otherwise fine. In a castle, and getting fed, is all well and good, all things considered. Of course, you could do without the leering and poisonous drinks. You don't know how trustworthy this message is going to be, but the fact that you don't want to be here is probably public knowledge.
The raven sticks out its paw again, making another quork in your direction as if it is impatient. Using the little string that came with the original message, you tie it to his leg. You've never been too great at knots, but it should hold well enough... You think.
The raven stares at the piece of a paper for a while, before cawing at you and jumping out the window into the night's sky.
Well that's over and done with.

Now it just leaves you being locked in a room. You just spent an inordinate amount of time sleeping already, even if it was under sedation, so that bed isn't going to see much use. You decide to continue in the book, expanding upon your note to avoid future owners from slamming firesalt into their veins or that of the queen. Your addition on how removing the queen returns the local inhabitants to (relative) normality was also new information. You are only barely surprised when the book absorbs that part of the note and visibly writes more of itself about the curse. It's... kind of impressive how much that doesn't affect you anymore. A magic book made of possibly human skin and using demons as a bookbinder has become a strangely normal thing to you in a short amount of time.
You're kind of used to a lot of things by now, aren't you?
Still, the book is too useful to leave, even if it DID scare you. But if this thing is as magic as you think...
Hey, Book? What's the effect of drinking vampire blood?
The book's pages begin flipping wildly, suddenly stopping at a blank page. Words begin to appear in the form of ink blots, spreading out across the page before stopping at neatly written cursive
I will have to rely on you to discover this.
How do you have a ritual on making vampires, but nothing about vampires themselves!?
The ink splotches write some more, though slightly less neat than before
Because my other editions hold different information. I am but one part of a collection!
...Truly? And where would the others be?
The book remains blank. You snort, unimpressed. You move on to the next question, regardless.
Anything about this thing?

The book begins to turn its pages again, and eventually stops at what it calls the Inhuman Burden.
There is quite a bit of information on this kind of thing, apparently. One note to the side seems to indicate why.
Why did I create this? Why did I curse humanity? Damn me and all who would follow me in my doomed research!
Looks like there have been some important people in possession of this book. The actual information goes as follows:
Through the drinking of a very peculiar alchemical concoction, originally intended to serve as a way to cleanse oneself of any impurities, all the horrible, beastly things slumbering inside man is unleashed. In accordance to the moon, the beast will come out, a horrid snarling animal that is tough to put down by anything that is not silver. Fortunately, as age affects the victim, so too will the beast lose strength. After a mere year, simple tools will serve to damage a creature such as this without issue, and the one who carries this burden will even gain a modicum of control. Whatever horrors the churches will apply upon these monsters is justified, and all must fear the brand of the Abomination. Distance yourself from it, lock it up, or even bring it to where it may die in service to the realm.
As for actual abilities, there are multiple things to note. A human in the furthest states of the mutation will share the beast's thick hide and putrid bile at will, through a partial transformation. As that implies, the beast itself is horribly toxic, and those that resist the initial dose will not be able to resist a second. The very blood of the creature is toxic, which will cause it to have an enhanced resistance to most diseases and other toxins. The claws of the creature are sharp, to be sure, but the main problem lies in the awful strength that the creature gains. Where it gains the mass and energy from is an utter mystery. Perhaps this is just the true, darkest power of man?
Upon transforming back into its humanoid form, the flesh will also rearrange itself accordingly, causing a burst of healing, closing all but the most grievous of wounds.

These things all seem to fit with the creature you've fought, but something seems quite off. The text describes a creature that is 100 percent an animal, while the creature you fought was clearly still human, partially. It even seemed... unfinished? You do find a footnote at the bottom, with the same handwriting as the one above.
Fools have found my notes, and attempted to gain the power of the corrupting force. But the fools have mixed it wrong, and are only partially transformed. They have the same strength as I had in the first year of my curse, but their body cannot handle the changes. Over time, beast and man will become one.
They will be transformed worse than the horror I have become, and it will prove addictive. I can only pray this cult will not spread.

Well, seems like his prayer was for naught. This note must be considerably older than that woman was, so there's likely a bunch more of these things. Hopefully, they're far apart and rare, at least.

Suddenly, the door opens. You close the book and keep it behind you as you look at your newest arrival. To your disgust, it's the vampire.
Enjoying your stay? Come. The servants have drawn a bath for us. I need to see you clean if I am to have you around my castle.
Didn't stop you from leering at me before...
I will appreciate craftsmanship where it is due. That dress suits you.
...Right.
You follow him to the baths. You already know he would force you to come regardless, considering his goals are likely more base than to see you clean.
Do you know your lineage? He suddenly says, as you walk down the winding halls. You are far too clever to be an eastern spawn, but too similar to not have relation.
Don't. Know. A thing. You say, slowly and venomously.
Hmp.

When you arrive at the baths, which is actually a water spring underneath the castle (seriously?), the vampire shoos away two servants that were gettingt he coals ready. The steam is heavy in the air, and it seems a bit hard to breathe because if it. The heat is suffocating, but you can't deny that this is a damned impressive place.
As you were looking around the place in a combination of wariness and (hidden) wonder, the vampire has stripped down entirely. You instantly look away when you see the surprise nudity, clicking your tongue in annoyance.
Right. Didn't need to see that.
No need to lie... There is another smug smile on his face as he wanders into the bath. It's actually a small plateau filled with water, connected with the larger water reservoir nearby. A small furnace, filled with hot coals, heats the thing up. As he lies back, he beckons you in.
Something tells you it's not just a request.

Undress and enter
Not like you've anything left to hide, is there? He did put on this dress first...

Cover up and enter
There are towels nearby. This guy isn't seeing anything more.

Refuse
You're not entering that bath with him. He disgusts you.

Seduce(? ? ?)
WHAT

Attempt murder
Drown the bastard.

Other

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 18, 2017, 04:58:26 pm »

Undress and enter - Better to not offend him, then show too much defiance.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 18, 2017, 06:55:28 pm »

Deploy smokescreen!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 18, 2017, 07:59:55 pm »

Cover your intimate parts with your own hair before entering the water

It will not offend him,

Will make him wonder (maybe it was the servants who dressed us?), and not showing anything.

would be weird to seduce him, although we did that before in the bandit camp, we are just in the same situation, the difference  here is that in the bandit camp we could die because of the numbers, and failing to seduce one wouldn't kill us, here, the guy can kill you alone
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 18, 2017, 09:53:58 pm »

Also, our defence is largely reliant upon being interesting. We should probably remain generally reluctant without being overtly and insistently stubborn. Always look for the third option, if only to keep things interesting. Never give anything away, we are playing to win afterall. Always participate, we may not like all the games, but our actions are what we use to buy our future actions...

Try to play to his station. He is acting as a lord here, he should maintain a certain level of propriety. It would be unseemly for a member of the aristocracy to bathe alone with a stranger of unknown parentage...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 18, 2017, 10:37:35 pm »

Something to ask the book when next we get a chance, what are the other volumes?  What do they look like?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 19, 2017, 03:20:18 am »

Something to ask the book when next we get a chance, what are the other volumes?  What do they look like?

And maybe some extra info about driders and who made the first drider.

Death told something about driders being created by a wizard
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 19, 2017, 06:02:52 pm »

You wish your hair was long enough to actually cover any privates, but you just barely don't have enough to cover anything. You decide to step to the second possibility, and breathe out a thick smokescreen too cover yourself up. The vampire seems surprised, and kind of disappointed, but he doesn't act on it. Showing off a little magical prowess might have convinced him to not complain. You find the dress distressingly easy to remove, and move to the bath as soon as possible, making sure to cover yourself with the water. With the steam and bubbles spread around, he doesn't see much more than when you were wearing the dress. It's clear he is disappointed, but he doesn't seem to act on it overmuch.
While you are glad to be cleaner than before, the  situation makes it very difficult to enjoy yourself. You're pretty ashamed of your nudity, even if nothing much is visible to that everleering eye of his.
It's good that you understand when to please your betters. But it hurts, doesn't it?
He's mocking you. God damn it...

You are meant to rule. As I am. As long as you show this restraint, you will never be as powerful as you could be. But I understand. You are still young, and authority is a learning process. You impressed me with that bit of magic, I admit, but why not flaunt what nature has given and you have sculpted? You have a warrior's corpus.
And you, a predator's eye.
Hm.
He begins to come closer  to you, half-swimming. You do some effort to keep your distance, but you're already in the damned bath with him. There's nothing else he could do that he couldn't have done in your sleep, anyhow.
You deserve more, you know. I could tell when I first saw you. You have a glow to you, a spark that show the potential millions of other could not hope to attain! And I am giving you the offer to rise even higher!
An "offer" implies that I can give consent.
A teacher must wield a heavy hand for the brightest pupils.
You scoff, not looking at him. You stare at the little furnace, and the coals inside...
The water's already really hot, but you could add more coals if you really want to turn up the heat. And, in this case...
You're thinking of burning me with the coals, no? Somebody must have told you that I cannot handle fire.
I heard the legends of vampires, yes. I've been a child once, after all.
No... You heard it from a servant of mine. The one that got away... Ekuna.
Who?
I suppose she would have changed her name, after what she did. Did she tell you that she just ran away?

Your silence is enough of an answer. You continue trying to bore a way through the steel little furnace with nothing but a stare.
She was not alone in her escape. She was the first to shake off the control, but she shook the others out of it. She made her little potions to harm me, and began a small uprising. I didn't even need help to tear it down, even though she did burn me multiple times. The few servants I had to drain are her fault, aren't they? If she wasn't so selfish...
He sneers in a very conceited way. He's clearly quite angry about the whole history.
In the end, she desperately burned me with her last few cocktails. Me and five others that I had just caught. They burned as well as I did, but I was the only one strong enough to survive. She murdered so many of her village! And now she returns, to continue her havoc throughout the area... Thinking she can defeat me with whatever tricks she learned out there in that cold world.
...I think you may be thinking of the wrong person.
Am I? I don't think so. You will understand, in due time, why a mortal like her had no right to soil an eternal like me... Like... you. You suddenly feel a hand around your breast as his breath is close enough that you can feel it. He 's so close... In the heat, you didn't feel him come closer until he's all but covering you...

In a heartbeat, you sock him across the jaw and make distance. With your spider-body, you easily make your way through the shallow water and he stares in shock and anger. There is a trickle of blood coming from his lip.
Oh crap.

Apologize.
It was a reflex! A warrior's reflex!

Run!
This is going to be a bit of a naked run through the castle, but maybe...

Stand your ground.
Let that be the first show of YOUR rules. He wants to make you his equal? He better start ACTING like it.

Sock him again!
That nose is too perfect to be left unbroken.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 19, 2017, 07:35:14 pm »

Stand your ground. Threaten to unleash the part of you that took down the leader of his mercenaries if he touches you without your permission again.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 19, 2017, 07:50:24 pm »

Stand our ground.

On Alexia: I suggest listening to her, she knows a lot about expressing authority, but remain Sydney. Alexia is our surprise if things get violent, and thus should only be used if we see a path to victory. Vampy's ludicrous speed and strength make a direct tussle risky at best, but she is our secret(although we have told him about our "battle trance" and it would not be surprising if he is deliberately antagonising us in order to see it) weapon when an opportunity arises. The coals are some distance away and wrestling him into them seems doubtful. Is running water a thing? Can we convince the bath to run? Breaking his furniture might go poorly but we could try smashing a hole on the far side from the inflow... Driders are often referred to as gods, but is it worth trying to bless the water? Especially with so few followers... Maybe Death could bless it? If only Death didn't insist upon not being a "god" specifically... Either way, holy water seems unlikely, but Death Vomit might be hostile to something that is unnaturally prolonging its soul's presence even if Death itself takes an apathetic view and is happy to wait however many eternities it takes...

Still, it feels far less about proudly showing off our "warrior's corpus" and more about going along with what he dictates. Does he truly have no appreciation for the power of discipline and decorum. One can expend a great deal of personal presence to control a court of far weaker individuals, or build a stifling code of civility that can bind anyone not strong enough to resist the whole community. Such a code can maintain your authority for you... No doubt Vampy here has a far more capable "warrior's corpus" than any of the neighbouring lords, and yet his territory is quite small. It is clear that he is having fun with the freedom that comes from having such finite ambitions, but his talk of greatness rings hollow...

Stand your ground. Threaten to unleash the part of you that took down the leader of his mercenaries if he touches you without your permission again.
I suspect that he has confidence in his own abilities, is curious about what happenedto the werewolf, and is curious about our own abilities. In short, I suspect that threatening him with that would only encourage him.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:06:21 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 19, 2017, 08:50:15 pm »

Stand your ground.

We need to escape his clutches.  Maybe we can not only escape his clutches, but steal some power, too.  The first step is to put up resistance.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 20, 2017, 04:53:05 pm »

You stand your ground, standing out at full length and staring down your opponent. He seems to pause for a moment, before spitting out a trickle of blood. He's barely bleeding, he's trying to intimidate you.
Well? You wanted an equal, or was that all hot air!?
You impudent-
Hush! If you mean to speak to me as if you'll make me an equal, then you should EXPECT me to treat you like any other equal.
Hnnnng... He growls. There's something distinctly feral there, only barely held back. You shortsighted wench! Can't you see? we are MADE for eachother, we are both eternals! Everything around us, even this very castle, is finite! WE can live forever, and you won't let me enjoy that!? Do you know NOTHING of value!?
You're hardly impressed by his outburst. That smug attitude, the detached looks... It all melted after he doesn't get what he wants. He's more of a child than a man.
If we are to be "together", you would do well to learn about discipline instead of decadence. You walk out of the bath, and begin toweling yourself off. You are turned away from him, to not give him a show beyond your bare back. With the towel wrapped around you, you also leave the dress where it lies and steal his vest.

You hear him burst out of the water, and you turn around with your elbow out, intending on smacking him away. To your surprise, he actually jumped over you, and landed on your abdomen! Your legs crumple at the sudden weight, and he pulls his arm around your throat. You are put in a chokehold by him.
I will NOT be denied! He forces his teeth in your neck, and you cry out in pain. However, you don't feel like he's draining you, instead he's...
He's ADDING.
You swear in equal parts horror and disgust, and try to throw him off. After a few unsuccessful attempts, you finally manage to throw him over your shoulder, but you have the distinct feeling he allowed it to happen. You feel dizzy as a cold, horrible feeling spreads from your new wound into the rest of your body. It's like a icicle clawing it's way through your veins...
You gag a few times, but nothing comes out. Gritting your teeth, you regain your composure.
I-is this how an eternal acts when he doesn't get his way? Like a damned child!?
I WILL have you, Sydney! And you WILL be purified! I do not settle for less, and you shouldn't either!
If you learned some decorum, you'd probably be happier. You take what you want, when you want it, with no regards for consequences.
I have the power, I DESERVE what I can get.
Yes. A small, desolated land around an inherited castle...
You rub your throat, feeling short of breath. The cold is fading, at least, but you still feel wrong.
If you tried to think, and ACT like an adult, you'd be far more deserving of respect. You spit on the floor before him.
You know NOTHING! I will teach you, whether you like it or not, about how the world works! Grah! He throws a bucket of water to the floor in a tantrum. Even as you are here, corrupted and bleeding, you still feel like the victor.

Just... go! There is a servant outside. He will take you to your room... And if you try to escape, I'll KNOW.
You walk outside, taking his shirt with you. He's still naked, which kind of made his threat fall flat, but still...
True to his word, there is a kobolt girl here... She couldn't be older than twelve, if you look at her.
C-come wi-with me missus-AAH, NO! I-i-i-i I mean MISS! MISS Tinnitus. Oh no, I mean...
Please, it's fine. Just bring me to my room, I... I feel like the whole place is spinning.
W-will you be alright? I-I'll take you to your bed.
Thank you.
Your breaths are coming in deep, as your vision swims. You can't feel anything in your fingers, but you manage to make it to the bed. You thank the small servant, and promptly collapse on the bed.
Tomorrow's another day

You don't know what tomorrow brings, but you can try to think of a few things to take care of. Things to read, attitudes to take, and so on.
I will give you a warning right now: reaching maximum corruption will END THE GAME. HOWEVER, higher corruption will increase your strengths, so with some careful maneuvering, you can strike a real bounty. Higher levels of corruption will reap greater rewards.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 21, 2017, 12:21:29 am »

Lets find some way to reconnect with our minion, and start accumulating dead things.  We can smoke out vermin from the walls to kill them, and raise a small army, stored away.  Then we can start getting an escape route planned.  Insects can open locks, and can examine the castle in whole, looking for anything particularly valuable for us.  Perhaps we aren't the only prisoners?  Perhaps there are other resources available that he doesn't want us to know about?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 21, 2017, 02:20:24 am »

Werewolf-juice is pretty toxic, but the skull probably isn't very gooey anymore. That's a thought, the skull is dead-ish, maybe we can channel something from it? We should talk to Death about the whole thing with vampires lasting too long and this werewolf still having a soul, maybe ask for news on people we know who are dead, like, well, we should ask about dad... Maybe our mother? We still don't know anything at all about her for certain... Maybe Death knows something about this corruption the vampire is doing to us, and might have some anti-vampy mojo it can teach us, and it might know about the book too.

We should also ask our book about necromancy spells that work on undead that we didn't make ourselves, or if there is anything about driders having dual spirits.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 21, 2017, 01:02:17 pm »

Oh god.

Okay let's calm down,

Ask book: (death too? at least hug death literally because we could use a hug right now, become a puppet to a vampire is scarier than dying)
First: necromancy tips and tricks? controlling others undead?
how to control/get rid of corruption (in case we have to deal with higher amounts)
Something about driders that could help us RIGHT NOW?
(Later when we have time)
What else you know about driders?

Others:
maybe we should consume the werewolf soul to get mana back ASAP
minion hunting vermins for us to ressurect? nice, vermin can also destroy the traps that are filled in this castle, or better, activate it on unsuspecting guards
Novice english wordsmith
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 216