Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185995 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1260 on: December 09, 2017, 07:50:00 pm »

Raise the bodies, and bring them back that way.  You're not a beast of burden this time, that's what magic is for.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: December 09, 2017, 08:31:44 pm »

Whatever is driving that monster to such feats can't last for long, hunt it down and end this or it will just come back fresh later on with yet another ambush. Use soul sniffing to track it, and fight it too. Smoke and soul sight should be a wicked combination, and it can't leap like that without seeing its target or landing off-balance... Perhaps whatever is wrong with our poison might help find its trail. We can come back for these people once the threat is ended, and can tell them as much as we leave, whether they hear is beside the point, rather than just letting it play its hit-and-run game with no lasting consequence. If we need some token to appease them after we are done fixing this disaster, then they can take whatever trophies they like from the creature's remains, they did weaken it somewhat... but no need to bring it back to them intact...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: December 09, 2017, 10:31:53 pm »

That's not a bad idea, RAM.  I'll go with that.  Use Doombolt or whatever to kill it.  Then head back to the other group.  If it's evaded, just raise the bodies and go home.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: December 10, 2017, 11:11:09 am »

+1 to RAM idea

yell something at the adventures as "I will bring the corpses with the beast head, cowards"

Shriek

And show who is the real predator of these woods
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: December 10, 2017, 03:48:14 pm »

I WILL HAVE THAT CREATURE'S HEAD!
The queen's screech echoes through the forest, causing the adventurers to flinch away from the noise. In a surprising moment of clarity, the queen uses her soulsight to follow the trail. In a surprising switch, it turns out she actually see souls. To be more accurate, she can see injury and blood far clearer than anything else, even as the world is thrust into a dark haze she can see the creature fleeing, the smoke still ravaging her body and the blood leaving a trail to follow. The adventurers can't hope to keep up with the queen as she rushes ahead at breakneck speeds, dedicated to catching that creature.
She soon comes closer to the beast, but it leaps from tree to tree using its unnatural strength. The queen finds it less than impressive.
Come down! You halfbreed coward!
The creature roars, with less force than before. The injuries are mounting on that thing, but it soon doesn't find the energy to properly jump. It doesn't quite reach the tree it was jumping towards, and only barely makes a safe descent by raking alongside the tree. It still makes a rough landing, only made rougher by the queen launching a doombolt at it. The thick hide does nothing to protect against the magic, and an afterimage snaps back into the abomination. More tainted blood gushes out of the existing wounds, and it growls at the queen before performing a charge.

The creature fights like any animal would when cornered. With little regard to self-defence, it's throwing everything it has into killing the queen. The queen is happy to oblidge, and the mounting wounds serve to slow it down enough for some smashing hits and even two more injections. A stomach punch makes the sack inside of it burst, poisoning the abomination to the point of vomiting. It hardly seems to move as the bile leaks out of the sides of its malformed muzzle. The wounds and growing exhaustion are taking their toll, and the creature eventually completely runs out of steam, it's mouth filling up with foam as it pushes its body to the utmost limit. The queen is tired and wounded herself, and she took a bad hit to her sides on multiple occasions, but her rage and contempt for the abomination feeds into her, keeping her moving. Finally, the creautre tries a far too slow overhead swipe, which the queen catches with both hands. Before it can tear the hand away, teeth tear into the twisted hand, and two fingers are bitten off! The queen spits them out with disdain, the bitter taste of the creature's blood lingering in her mouth. The creature itself is holding the mutilated hand, and the Queen is quick to capitalise on it!
Just for once, she unsheathes Sydney's sword, and uses both her hands to crash into the left leg of the creature. As tough as the creature is, it cannot handle such a a terrible assault. It falls, the twisted doglegs providing no knee to fall on. The Queen stabs the sword through the remaining healthy arm, and leaves it in. The sword has pierced deep, bypassing the tough hide by virtue of there being a wound. The arm is stuck to the chest, and the queen moves in for the finishing blow as the creature is left squirming.

She jams her hand around the creature's chin, and pulls. Slowly, the human teeth at the front come loose, snapping one by one as the creature screams and desperately tries to bite the fingers away. For all its strength, it just cannot bite with it's malformed mouth. An audible SNOK is heard as the jaw is unhinged and a distinct sense of fear can be heard in the roars. The queen has a manic grin, and her eyes take in all there is to see of the creature's suffering as the jaw loosens, small snaps can be heard as more and more muscles pop and ligaments tear until finally, in a horrible spray of blood, the jaw is finally ripped off and discarded.
Hhhh... The queen looks at the pitiful creature before her. The tongue is flopping loosely as it gurgles some more. She grabs the head forcefully and twists it back a bit, enough to open up the throathole just a little more.
She bites down over it, and expels all the smoke she can. The creature, left unable to scream or run, can only barely manage to scratch the queen's back with her mangled hand as the draining smoke is forced into her at such quantities that it begins to pour OUT of her wounds. When all her mana is spent, she releases the dying wretch.

The flesh visibly blackens and looses it's solidity, as the skin begins to bundle up. The muscles and organs begin to melt, and the eyes fall back into the sockets. With just one heave, the mutilated arm is torn off, more flesh falling to the sides as it completely melts.
In a short order, all that is left of the creature is melted flesh and broken bones. The queen laughs, her vision blurring from the effort and mana deprivation. Despite that, she still tears off the skull and walks back to where she left the adventurers, following the blood trail in reverse. She can't run anymore, and she feels ever so faint. But still she giggles, staring into the malformed and mutilated skull as she occasionally leans against the trees to stop being so dizzy. Eventually, she meets the adventurers.
They are taking care of the kobolt.
The creature is DEAD! I WON. I AM THE RULER OF THIS PLACE.
C-calm down! Look, you've...  done amazing work. H-how about you... Leave the rest to us. We've got... We've got people to move.

The wretches are still mourning their dead. Fine, let them... the queen is far too tired to object to useless practices like that. She stands by the wayside, trying to catch her breath. The dwarf is hauling the orc's corpse on his shoulders, and the kobolt has a broken arm. Leaving the shieldbearer to carry his friend.
Good. A queen will not serve as a damned beast of burden!
On the (slow-going) way back, the queen decides that there are many important things to consider. Such as a name! As fun as it is, and appropriate, there should be a name to differentiate her from Sydney...
She's a bit too tired to come up with much, and consideration is taxing... She'll settle on the first name she thought of, Alexia.
It's a fine enough name. Perhaps she can think of another later, when she isn't too tired to properly think of it.

As much as it goes against her base instincts, the queen knows when to go for a lie-down. She's low on blood, and there actually fairly deep scratch in her flesh. But, fortunately, nothing immediately life-threatening. Sucy throws her one of the transfusion potions, and after drinking that the queen just about instantly falls into a slumber.

Sydney is now too badly injured to go on a mission without great risk. But fortunately, you'll be able to send out just about everybody tomorrow. Apart from the adventurer kobolt, who has a broken arm, they're all fine enough.
Make your plans.

Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 05:53:34 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: December 10, 2017, 06:01:25 pm »

I think setting up an ambush for the reinforcements is a good idea.  Ask the adventurers find a good spot on one of the roadways to create an oil-filled pit?  We can then get some of the tougher thralls to fall in there, set them on fire, and reduce the vampires forces further.

Set traps and prepare an ambush position for reinforcements or enemy troop movements.

I'm not quite sure where would be the best position, though..

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: December 10, 2017, 06:56:39 pm »

I think setting up an ambush for the reinforcements is a good idea.  Ask the adventurers find a good spot on one of the roadways to create an oil-filled pit?  We can then get some of the tougher thralls to fall in there, set them on fire, and reduce the vampires forces further.

Set traps and prepare an ambush position for reinforcements or enemy troop movements.

I'm not quite sure where would be the best position, though..

I think we didn't found the oil

but some hit and run tactics on small patrols are always fine
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: December 10, 2017, 08:26:19 pm »

Hitting patrols sounds fine. We haven't been doing so much of that so they likely haven't bothered to mix ringers in with them. Still, our forces should be on their guard, it doesn't hurt to check twice.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: December 11, 2017, 08:05:08 am »

...So that's why I currently feel like vomiting? God, I hope I didn't eat that thing...
You'd be dead if you did. Looks like the blood is poisonous... Not too much, sure, but after what it did to you I don't think fighting off the poison would have ended well. Sucy says, looking over the skull. A few scraps of flesh are still on it, allowing her to look into the creature.
It probably tasted too awful, even for your alter ego. Eveline guesses. Her injuries are healed well enough, though she'll keep the scar. And the bald spot where her fur had to be shaven away.
Alexia.
What?
She's calling herself Alexia.
Eveline looks at you with clear concern. Don't talk about her like she's a... person. It's a problem. And I don't mean that in a bad way, but this isn't good for you!
I'd say it's none of your concern. There's nothing to be done about it, let's just be glad she's a force to be reckoned with.
Yeah! Changing the subject! What are we going to do now?

After some thinking, you decide that you'd better stay at camp while everyone else lays some traps along the road. Even with her broken arm, the kobolt should be able to help with some directions. Not to mention, the witchhunter seems like an avid fan.
A curious art, trapmaking. Your efficacy will never be witnessed by your own eyes...
Soon, the whole gang is gone, leaving only Sucy to get you healed up. The potion from before your nap makes sure that you won't bleed out, sure, but if you want those wounds to heal properly you're going to need stitches, here and there. For the sake of keeping you lucid, you decide against anesthetics. IF something were to attack, you need to be able to defend yourself or flee.
You regret not asking for anesthetic when the needle enters your flesh, but changing your mind now would make you look like a wimp. You did get a block of wood to bite down on, at least, but it does nothing to aid against the slow-going stitching progress. Sucy's better at it than you, at least, but your unnatural amount of clotting is failing as the ruined flesh shifts. The stitching itself stops some of bleeding that occurs, however. You leave deep teeth marks in the wood as Sucy continues her work. Meanwhile, she talks to you a little, more to amuse herself than to get a response.
You have an impressive bone structure, you know... I bet you hadn't realized your spine is thicker than ours, to allow you to carry your weight more effectively. Still, in almost every other aspect, you're the same as us on your upper body. I suppose that's why you're a magical creature, above all. No logical sense would dictate you would look so much like us, and so attractive, besides.
You make a litte groan of confusion. Is she...?
I mean in general, of course. What I mean is, there are very few "plain" driders. They've all got a predisposition to being pretty. If you see an ugly one, and I'm sure you haven't, it's almost certainly through their own actions.
You give grunt of approval/understanding. You're not about to stop biting on your wood while she still works her steady hands with the needle.

Sucy ran out of conversation shortly there-after, resorting to complaining that she didn't mean to end up as the local medic. That's Eveline's job. But her hands are still shaking, not exactly fit for stitching.
You snort in response.
Still, she knows enough about anatomy to fix about as well as she can kill. After that, she finishes up on your wounds. She ties some bandages around you as well, just in case the bleeding starts again. You're just glad you can put your shirt on again. Things were getting a bit...  nippy.
A shame, I must admit. It's a look I enjoy. The vampire says, leaning against a tree. Neither of you even saw him approach!
Both you and Sucy scream and jump back in surprise. She's quick to throw a bottle of... something, but the vampire catches it like it's most casual thing in the world.
Hm. Flashpowder? Good thinking, gives you time to get to your supplies. Of course... He crushes the bottle with his bare hand, causing it to explode where he isn't looking.
It DOES imply you have nothing else left.
...Damn it. Sydney?
She looks to you for guidance, but you're not exactly sure how to go about this...

Polite talk
Let's not have this... escalate.

Run!
You need to get Sucy out of here. Who knows what the vampire is planning!

"What do you want!?"
These are going to be negotiations. No need to think you're treading on eggshells.

Stand your ground
Take a defensive position and protect Sucy. You're injured, but you're not out!

Map
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: December 11, 2017, 08:11:04 am »

Polite talk
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: December 11, 2017, 08:17:03 am »

Did we send the tiny skeleton with them?  We can alert the adventurers.  Of course, they might just get killed if they try to intervene at this point..

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: December 11, 2017, 09:47:43 am »

Put sucy behind you and politely asks what he wants
Novice english wordsmith

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: December 11, 2017, 04:55:00 pm »

Negotiate. Ignore Sucy and get into the conversation. Hopefully she can be relegated to irrelevance. His speed suggests that force won't reliably protect her, but he is likely accustomed to overlooking things that don't interest him, and he has likely seen a great many alchemists in his time.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: December 12, 2017, 05:01:07 pm »

You take a step forward, keeping your shield at the ready and shoving Sucy behind you. She seems to get the message, and tries to keep herself small.
She can't stop herself from glaring at the enemy, however
So. What do you wish?
I see that you killed one of my most powerful units. That werewolf should have been invincible to everything that isn't silver. Well, that's what she promised, but I can't expect a mutt to be truthful, can I?
Have you come to ask me how I did it?
Go on, amuse me. And don't lie to me, or I'll deduct the fine from here.
...Then I can't help you. I don't know. I don't remember what I did, or even how I did it. I just... wake up with injuries.
The vampire's smug grin does not fade, but his eyes show a flash of anger.
I truly don't know a thing! I go into a battle trance, or whatever I can call it! All I know is that I stabbed it a few times during the fight, and then I woke up with a skull on my belt!

The vampire shakes his head, closing his eyes and chuckling. Looks like this isn't going to end well.
The next second, he's up in your face, his face just inches from yours. H-he's fast!
I shan't deal with a lying monster. It's clear you are in need of... re-education! His mouth opens, his fangs visible. An unnatural breath escapes his lips just before you bash him away with your shield! This is not going to end well!
To even your surprise, he's actually affected by your bash, as he is sent flying. You think he leaned away from the blow, as he performs a showy backflip rather than any natural way of dealing with a sudden push. Your wounds scream as you rush forward, intent on skewering the vampire as Sucy rushes to her supplies. You try to block his charge towards her with your sword, and he slides on his knees to dodge the blow. He reaches Sucy in an instant, and grabs her from behind, pressing his fingers against her neck!
In just a few moments, she faints from the chokehold, and is thrown away multiple meters. Against the odds, she seems to land safely. But then, the vampire places his full attention on you!

You know his speed, but you can still try to predict! You take a cautionary swipe from behind your shield, before he could even reach normally. The fact that you feel your sword hit bone is the sign that you are successful, and you see him blocking the sword with his bare hand. Then, he grabs the blade, and pulls it from your grasp! That should have taken his fingers off! He takes a moment to gloat as you take a step back for both safety and because of the shock
I must commend you for your hit, but your martial training avails you nothing! It's useless! Useless! Useless!Useless!Useless!Useless! In comparison to my power, you are but a speck of dust!
You stumble backwards, and as you look down, you see a syringe jabbed in your chest.
O-oh my god...
You lose consciousness shortly after.

When you awaken, you can establish several things.
For one, you're wearing a VERY extravagant ballroom dress. The next thing you notice is that you're working on candle-light. By which I mean it's already nighttime. HOly shit I was tired
The third is that you're in the castle.
This is about to get weird.

Escape?
There's a window, but you're not entirely sure if you'll fit. And besides, you have none of your equipment.

Play along
You're not dead, so the game might still be on. Maybe this is an... intermission?

Kidnap victim, with style
You're not going to enjoy this. No matter how much he might try to make it more pleasant.

Other?

Map
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:30:39 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: December 12, 2017, 05:23:37 pm »

Play Along.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 216