Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185982 times)

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1245 on: December 07, 2017, 11:15:47 am »

Rest, playing of reshaping her familiar is okay

Cook something nice for everybody, something Sydney likes to cook if it's possible

Talk leisurely with the new party member also see if the bolts we got from the thralls can be repaired or become something useful without a miracle and if he can teach us a bit about long-ranged weapons later or maybe today

Hug Eveline when she wakes up, if she is already awake hug her. We almost lost her.

And go lightly on the adventurers, think about it better, they are inexperienced and shit got scary, first time we saw hell went lose we lost our rationality too, now they even lost a friend, besides the kobolt who seems a bit nihilistic they must be also very stressed.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: December 07, 2017, 04:46:27 pm »

Take a day off, completely, ask the Witchhunter and kobolt rogue to look into defences in case they come after us when we are vulnerable, then let Queen have the day.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: December 07, 2017, 05:04:09 pm »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: December 07, 2017, 05:36:33 pm »

Hm. I'm glad I came at this time... I enjoy a little R&R, and the road hasn't been kind.
Met trouble along the way?
It'd be more accurate to say that trouble met me. Not that I went and took down bands of raiders or anything, but I found a few solitary troublemakers. Feels good to have a rest.
Mmmhm. Could you throw me the salt?
He throws the little bag of salt over to you, and you catch it with a little bit of fumbling. He didn't throw it quite far enough.
Thank you. So you said you're a bounty hunter by trade?
On the sides. I'm a witch-hunter above all. But it turns out, wizards that let themselves get assassinated don't have much loot, generally. It's the worst when tey take on the outlook that real wizardly only happens when you're poor.
Never heard of that
A lot of wizards think they're artists. A lot of artists feel the need to justify not having a job. It's not hard to see where they got it from.

The rabbits are just about done. It's not an exceptionally extravagant meal, to be sure, but damn you love yourself some rabbit. Just need to make sure you get some other game in, considering that you can't live off rabbit alone. Meat's too lean. Some people make up the deficit with some type of biscuits, but you don't have that available. Still, you'll make do.
Another bonus is that rabbit falls apart quite easily. Makes it quite a bit easier to feed it to the injured. Most of them are up, but Eveline's far from fine. Her breathing's normal, sure, but she took quite the dose of poppy-milk. She's still groggy and even a little queasy. Another bonus to having lean meat like this is that it's a bit more likely to properly stay down on an upset stomach.
Yunikki will need a little help with the eating. Her arms are mostly fine now, but the fine motor control's still a bit shot. She's shaking a lot. If it wasn't for your alchemists, that'd probably be permanent. Sometimes you think about how the world would be without magic healing (alchemical or otherwise). You probably wouldn't be able survive long.

During dinner, most people stay quiet, except for the witch-hunter. You're glad for the conversation, considering everybody is drifting off. Sucy's looking for ingredients, and Meandra's nodding off after skipping a night of sleep making sure Eveline doesn't stop breathing. There wasn't much risk, but it's nothing you really WANT to risk.
So then, after he cornered me with all that magic, guess what happened?
You shot him with a bolt? You say with a smirk. As much fun as he's having (relatively, he is very composed, but he sounds amused), most of his stories seem to end in the same thing.
Not that time! You see, he was so angry he actually blew the last of his mana on that teleportation spell! So now, all he had was the physique of a guy that got bullied up to his forties.
So you took him alive for once, I'm assuming?
Nah, I don't do that with wizards. And the town was planning on hanging the guy, anyway. So I beat him to death with my crossbow.
...ah.
That wasn't a funny story at all!
I'm not a writer. If you want to tell some stories, go for it. See if you have something interesting!
...I have a few things to say. Yeah. Let's go, hotshot.

An hour later, the witchhunter is contemplating the nearest ground. Apparently, what you went through (fighting and killing eldritch beings and mutating into a vampire to name a few) he doesn't have a lot to say to it all. You stand there in triumph, with one of the most advanced grins you've ever created. Although you have to admit, reminiscing about that kinda freaked YOU out. You can keep up appearances for the sake of looking smug.
After everything is finished, and you give Eveline a hug (she barely reacts. She is REALLY out of it, isn't she?) You go on to more practical things.
I can teach you a thing or two about ranged weaponry, sure. But I'll need time to set up a range. I want my distances put together clearly, or else it's chaos!
I'll need a couple of hours.

Another thing, can we look into getting the bolts from the thralls repaired into something useful?
...You mean the ones you pulled out of corpses? I mean, they're just sharp sticks, and they've all got some. If you REALLY need to, I can cut some bolts for you with my knife, but honestly, we can gather up bolts with ease. As long as you keep the tip, you can even make them at full effectiveness... Mostly. I guess the feathers are a bit of a hassle, but at the ranges you'll be working it should be fine.
...Right.

You finish off a bit more time trying to modify your little lizard. You consider adding spurs, similar to that of crickets (horrid things), but that will prove to be rather difficult. You need something spur-like to begin with, and with the age of the skeleton, you really can't go about stripping bone from the legs. You added the wings from a bat that hit somebody's window, you doubt you'll find something that can serve as one of those things.
However, that doesn't mean you can't get the spirit of things. With the bones of the rabbit, you still give your lizard a few extra bones. He can clack them together at different speeds. Perhaps, you could even make a little xylophone using his ribs! While that would be funny, it's a risky thing to do. Skeletons don't exactly have organs that can fail, but any piece of bone lost is another part that the necromantic energy has to pick up the slack for. Once it can't keep it together enough, the whole thing collapses. Fleshy corpses are sturdier for that reason, there's more of a buffer for the energies to keep flowing through.
But enough about necromantic theory. Magic is a horse-shit thing to explain anyway, considering it's literally just breaking the rules of the universe by thinking at it.

You're not really willing to speak to the adventurers to say that you can forgive them for their bout of cowardice. If they make you carry a corpse for their benefit, then they could at least stick around to help when you get attacked over it. You could have lost Eveline AND Yunikki, and imagine how that fight could have gone without having some back-up! You were essentially left for dead by these bastards.
Screw 'em.
You are taking the rest of the day off, but you should choose what to do with the adventuring party.

Move them to the outpost
You don't even want them around. How about they defend that outpost they so proudly had?

Set up a mission to go get that corpse.
...You need them. God-damn it. This means you will not be taking the day off properly.

Cold shoulder them.
Bare minimum of interaction. Let THEM figure it out, they know what they did.

Other
Quick note that the Queen should usually be agreed upon by most of the others. Considering how much it changes for future choices and the story, it's probably best not to let that happen through one guy's decisions. Otherwise, I try to make a compromise among the suggestions.

Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:43 pm »

It is probably a mistake to split the party while we are vulnerable, but whatever, if they want their friend so much we can go get them. There is no need to be polite about it though, we should give them an earful for abandoning the corpse, and, more to the point, the one carrying it, in the first place. We should also check for the barbarian queen's corpse too, these people have a disturbing tendency to come back. Even if she is still dead, you know who likes the corpses of their enemies? You know who has all the sass that we want to bestow upon those adventurers? Queen does! Politely inform them that we are willing to inspect the site where we were ambushed while carrying their companion's remains, but on the conditions that they admit that it might have been moved and we have to be back soon so we can't go searching if it isn't there, and that we will be significantly less polite than they have likely come to expect of us, and if any of them so much as considers pointing a weapon at us out of fear it will end very poorly for them. The correct response to seeing an ally bite an enemy's throat out then tear their body in half with their bare hands is to congratulate them and offer assistance.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: December 08, 2017, 04:23:54 am »

..let Queen have the day.

Umm, you need to come back and stop me from summoning Queen again. I won't do it myself! Also worth noting that I honestly think it would be a good idea, but only on our day off. I am in favour of having a more cordial relationship with our other side in general, but I won't just be spamming it for no reason until everyone gets bored. I'm only repeating it now because the situation hasn't changed much...
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: December 08, 2017, 07:40:37 am »

Give them a tongue-lashing, and tell them that recovering the dead can wait for a day, when you're more healed from the wounds you got carrying it back.

(I'd actually like to take Queenie out if we were going for the corpse with them, in order to try and make the adventurers our worshippers, but we're just too wounded for that.  Tomorrow.)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: December 08, 2017, 02:47:14 pm »

Actually, you're not wounded enough to hobble the queen. Of course, if she were to get injured, it'd be a bit worse than normal.

Alright. We need to have a damned talk.
Yes, that we do. We don't much appreciate you leaving our fallen ally behind after you promised to take care of it! the sword-and-boarder with the chin says. He has a pompous way of speaking to him, right now.
You don't much care for it.
I abandoned him? YOU ABANDONED ME AND YOUR ALLY. You kept on running like cowards, leaving us to face the enemy alone! If the witchunter wasn't here,
 WE COULD VERY WELL BE DEAD!

But he was there, wasn't he? The kobolt adds. Not very tactful...
Suddenly, their mage steps to the front. This is the first time he ever even did anything that wasn't reading his book, and you had honestly forgotten he was even here! Where the hell was he during the assault?
That's enough, Jaime! I wasn't there, but I have no doubt you and our little rogue turned tail at the first opportunity when we lost Moloch. That you have attachment to his corpse, I can understand, but do NOT place it above the needs of the living, do you hear!?
Oh, good of you to finally join us, your majesty! Finally found enough scraps of common to actually help out?
Don't test me. You know what I needed to do.
Yes, of course, look though a burned haunted house. Very useful. If you were there, we might have prevented Moloch's death!
I ASSURE you, what I achieved there was very important, and I could hardly expect that to happen, could I?
You stuck up greenskin! My best friend is DEAD!
Aye. And instead you ran? A crossbowdwarf says. It's a blonde female dwarf with a crossbow and a... tenuous grasp on the language. Her intonation is all wrong, as is the speed of her sentence.
You've seen her around, you remember, but like the wizard, she didn't seem too present. You'd think she would have helped out better with some crossbow tips instead of the dour dog.
YES, I ran! Because I thought SHE would be able to carry him back!
ENOUGH! You yell, with enough force and tone to make them all stop bickering. You develop a fearsome look in your eye as you give them the lay of things.

As it stands, you ran away from a battle, and blame me for it. You want that damned corpse so much? Then go get it. I will rest, and wait for your return.
So you shan't even help fix your mistake? Let others do it for y-*UF* His pompous speech is cut off by an elbow from the dwarf. She had to tilt upwards a lot to manage it, but it shuts him up. She speaks a bit of dwarven in his direction.
My friend is telling you to shut your mouth and get ready for the journey. This woman could kill you with her bare hands, please do not antagonize her.
I can and HAVE done so. For that matter, if you see me fighting a bit dirtier than normal, DO try not to kill me for it? I get my... moods. Now, the lot of you,
 clear off!

Suddenly, Meandra's high-pitched voice cuts into the conversation. She still looks positively wrecked from sleep deprivation.
Sydney? You should go with them.
She stifles a jawn for a moment, words barely forming.
That feral lady was important, right? It'd be best if we took care of her corpse before it gets moved. Burn it, or resurrect it, whatever... I don't want to leave it there to bite us later.
After what they did?
The Light asks to forgive those that show weakness.
What?
Urf... Yunikki was sleep-talking. Look, just do it for safety's sake.

Make a final decision. Will you go, or not?
For that matter. Maybe the queen should take the reigns on this one. Also your call. The vote will default to YES in case of a draw, and a NO if there are no votes.

Map
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Yes, I admit, I COMPLETELY forgot about characterizing the other adventurers. The thing about people being comically background-y characters is that they're exceptionally easy to forget

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:40:22 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: December 08, 2017, 03:47:45 pm »

Go, no queen unless situation looks harsh

Maybe we should explain that if we are in an dis vantage we maybe enter a kind of battle trance, the problem is only that this battle trance make our skin shape form and gets an alternate personality it demand respect and some times she even make some enemies knee.

The rest they will discover when the Queen starts yelling at them  in fury of abandoning Sydney

Say to the mage "Here, I am a necromancer, I never saw you in battle, say me what you can do so I can evade being in front of you when you shot a fireball"
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: December 08, 2017, 05:00:20 pm »

Go, as Queen. Queen might be curious about their business in the mansion...
Read the First Post!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: December 09, 2017, 11:07:24 am »

No. No queen. Nononononononononono. If we have to, we can let her out later.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: December 09, 2017, 12:41:41 pm »

Let's not use the queen unless it's an emergency, she has a tendency to kill things other than the objective.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: December 09, 2017, 07:25:54 pm »

There is more to her than just killing things. Better for the adventurers to first meet her in a social setting than a combat one...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: December 09, 2017, 07:28:28 pm »

Fine. Fine! I'll join these morons. That wizard might have something of note, anyhow
You won't regret it. Really. Now, I... need to take a nap.
True to her word, she goes to her bedroll and essentially slams facefirst into the pillow. Out like a light, that one.
You join up with the adventurers, but out of principle you walk with the dwarf and wizard. You don't need to be with those two cowards leading the expedition. You just make sure they keep going in the right direction, as they take the wrong one a few times. God damn it, these idiots can't do anything on their own. The wizard, meanwhile, didn't have nearly as much interesting things to say as he claimed. Although that's mostly because you already know everything he noted. He suspects there was a ritual of great power that caused the insanity of the house, and that, by association, there must have been a very powerful catalyst for that ritual. He looked through the old brickwork with the crossbowdwarf. (who only knows the very basics of common. She mostly speaks dwarf, which is a rough language at best. It's kind of what you'd expect language to sound like if they shortened everything they could get their hands on, based on a language several rocks made because they were bored. So it's a combination of complicated and mindnumbingly boring at the same time, somehow).

He figures that burning down the house led to the destruction of that catalyst, if the ritual did not cause it to be taken. You don't tell him about the book you found. No need for that drama, and he'd likely do something... drastic, to get that kind of information. You spend most of the journey discussing magical theory, but the orc is actually shockingly unqualified to have a proper discussion. Look like he wasn't schooled, like you were. When he starts talking about how magical theory is made up to keep true wizardry down, you know enough. He's kind of an idiot too. Still, you do blow his mind on two separate occasions. For one, he didn't know how the energies when something is resurrected, and he also didn't know that you don't actually need a damned spell book to cast spells. (on that note, you taught him how to make his waterballs look different. Now they look like tiny stampeding horses). He's a water mage, apparently. Mostly slinging water around at high speeds to do all sorts of things. If he were to make the effort, he could probably heal people. Unfortunately, he never went to school, and you don't know the first thing about healing things. Even your stitching's kind of bad, you have to admit. Sure, it stops the bleeding, but it's not exactly pretty. Long-term, it may even leave scars that could have been avoided. Still. Cure what kills first.

You also take a small amount of time to tell them about your... battle frenzies. You don't elaborate much, just that they should be careful if you were to suddenly ditch your weapons and change a little bit. The wizard takes it to heart, while the two at the front hardly seem to care.

When you get to the small clearing where you fought the feral, you discover that you're just BARELY on time. Two thralls are dragging the corpse away by his feet, and you already can't see the feral woman. Good thing they went in at two separate times.
The crossbowdwarf is the quickest on the draw, and launches a bolt. It goes wide, and it warns the thralls of the approaching party of pain. Still, they remain poor fighters at best, and the addition of the wizard attacking them with the water (high speed, low contact area. Quite deadly, actually) makes short work of them after you and the shield-guy charge them down. Now, you just need to deal with the corpse, you suppose.
You'd think that, of course.

Suddenly, an earpiercing screech can be heard, and before you can even react a figure lands on the other shieldguy, smashing him to the ground with an earthshaking thud. A horrible creature, looking like an awful mix of man and wolf, begins to tear into the shieldbearer, his shield barely enough to block one of the massive claws. You stab it in the back, causing it to rear up and roar. It twists away, and you only barely keep grip on your sword as it jumps off its victim. Without the blurring speed of the creature attacking the shieldbearer, you see many gruesome wounds, as if the skin could not keep up with it's insides. Tears in the skin reveal twisted flesh and bone, and the arms look horrifically stretched to give it the gait of a great ape. The legs are bent back, and it's face looks as if the mouth was just moved forward by an open tumor, startlingly human teeth at the front.
HHHUAAAAAHH The creature screams with an all-to-familiar voice.
Seems none of them like STAYING dead.
In an all to familiar move, it pounces towards you again. Fortunately, with familiarity comes preparation, and instead of merely blocking the creature, you raise your sword to catch it. The leathery hide nearly breaks you sword, but you thankfully pierce. The force of the pounce is not negated, and once more you take a hard hit. Without your other hand to steady the shield,however,  your protection is turned against you, slamming against your head. Fortunately, the wound you inflicted upon the beast keeps it at bay, as the kobolt jumps on its back and tries to jam her daggers through the splits in its horrible hide. The creature screams again, before a crossbow bolt hits it right in the chest. Left side, where the heart should be. A bloody good shot!

With a strangely quiet growl, the creature grabs the kobolt and slams her against the floor. She bounces, and you can see her arm was dislocated from the sheer force. Before the abomination can follow through, however, you and the shieldbearer simultaneously attack the back. You hit each-others shoulders, but you succeed in keeping the creature from popping the kobolt like a grape. The wizard also throws in a waterbolt, and another bolt hits the creature in the arm. Suddenly, it plants its arms on the ground and kicks the both of you with its short, but massively powerful legs. Then, it leaps almost 15 meters from a standing position to crash atop the wizard. With no armor but his robes, the wizard is disemboweled in short order! He screams and does some final futile movements before dying as the creature begins to eat from his exposed guts.
You deem this enough of a reason to make a swap.

Fuck you! The queen shouts as she puts her weapon away and charges at an impossible speed! Shoulder-first, the creature is rammed off the corpse. The creature feels like a slab of meat, but the small legs are a weak point. Before it can recover, the queen follows up with two more strikes to its head. Some parts feel far softer than others, especially the unfinished mouth, and it has good effects. One quick grapple to the mouth and a charge with all the power her legs can muster force it on its back. Then, the queen stings. It feels strange, to inject a tough sack of something, but it has good effects. While the poison is negligable, the soft tissue is blocked and hampered by the little sack. With the stinger tearing into the stomach, the creature vomits a little.
That's about the end of the good fortune, though.
All at once, it rakes and flails it's dagger-like claws, and it is only through Sydney's shield that the Queen isn't completely torn to shreds. But the attack is relentless, and even a bolt from the crossbowdwarf does not even slow it down. Eventually, the other shieldbearer reaches you, and uses both hands to slam his word down on the attacker. That finally fazes it long enough for the queen to breathe a horrible, toxic cloud that seems to seep into the wounds of the abomination, quickly worsening them. All at once, it is wracked with intense pain, and it flails away, trying to tear at the rapidly darkening flesh as rot begins to set in. The fresh wounds only aggravate the condition, but the flailing makes it a ball of death! Neither the queen nor the shieldbearer can even get close.

Eventually, with a final scream, the creature jumps away into the thicket. It's injuries were too much for it to handle, and it is sadly not wild enough to fight to the end.
COWARD! WRETCHED ABOMINATION! HALF-BREED SCUM, COME HERE AND FACE YOUR DEATH!
Enough! We need to get the wounded back, and my ally. You can carry the corpse, I'll take care of Rogue!
DO NOT THINK YOU CAN COMMAND ME, COWARD!
The queen says, teeth bared. Her eyes shine with rage.

Say, you got the adventurers in kind of mess. And Sydney may not subconsciously care for their well-being.
Should you maybe make a push towards something?

Map
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: December 09, 2017, 07:38:27 pm »

Kill the Damn Fools if you want, but it's your fault if you end up carrying everything because our other servants are incapacitated. My Suggestion dear is that you Get the dead bodies walking and head back before more of the damned dirty apes kill the rest of your ignorant mules.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 216