Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 186010 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1230 on: December 04, 2017, 03:22:32 am »

I feel as though the other tower is a bit of a separate engagement, so now is the time to regroup. They "might" be able to lob a bolt at us from where they are, but we have plenty of cover, and if they have some sort of magic sniper then they would have been a problem regardless, and it is not as though nobody is watching. Two minutes could mean a lot for Eveline, and we will likely need another three if we want a decent complement of undead with us, and taking undead at all will probably cost us mor time than that due to their slow speed. It is unlikely to mean much for reinforcements from the castle, and the alarm is already raised at the other tower. If you have reason to believe that reinforcements are going to be organised and arrive in a timeframe where 5 minutes will make a big difference, or that it'll make a significant difference to the preparations that they can undertake when they are already alerted and we still need to cross the divide then I may have missed something, but otherwise...

I really don;t see as any plan involving undead would be greatly affected by The Stitch Spell and nothing else. Of course, if you want to go Queen and rush the place solo, then that would be a different matter. She can cross the distance alone and start breaking stuff quickly enough that we might still be able to catch them handing out weapons, but nobody seems to be suggesting that. Honestly, that might be the best option, she can probably smokescreen herself well enough, and a tower can be filled with smoke and most people don't have a multitude of spears for legs nor unnatural foot-gripping for when stumbling around blind. Throw in that Queen probably doesn't need to see in order to use her absorption breath... Of course, we can do that without involving Queen, but she is getting antsy, and would probably be content to break the place and then stick around for a self-congratulatory after-party with the adventurers then taking her leave. And Eveline isn't in a fit state to tranquilise us either, so it would be showing some good-faith...

Of course, I could cast "Summon Anatoli Flashback" to go all "take no risks with health" obsessive.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: December 04, 2017, 04:07:27 am »

For speed, five minutes in combat is golden, and even if they've just been alerted now, it takes minutes for them to wake the off-shift guys up, for everyone to get armed, for them to reach the battlements, for them to properly bar the door and bring out spare arrows, etcetera.  The faster we go the less time is taken.  As for Necromancy, there's also combat necromancy where we raise undead from the enemy slain in the battle itself, which can be an immense advantage in having regenerating arrow fodder for each day.

There's no reason to give the enemy five minutes.  We have others who can take care of Eveline.  It will save lives, time, and effort if we take the other tower as quickly as possible.  Sitting around doing nothing will be paid for in our blood and the blood of those we love.

And I am suggesting we go now.  Giving the enemy time to prepare when you don't have to is a terrible idea in combat.

The attack is where our skills are most useful.  There's combat necromancy, wall-climbing, significant combat skills and equipment, our large size, doombolts, etcetera.  Why take all those away from our assault group, when doing so means killing several of them and risking the mission?

It's not a choice between Eveline living or dying.  Both of those can happen if we stay or if we go.  It's a choice of what we ourselves do, which is between acting to save others and doing nothing while others are dying in our name.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:18:04 am by Devastator »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: December 04, 2017, 05:07:44 am »

5 minutes "can" be golden. It is a matter of scale. We don't have exact scale so we can't know for certain. I propose we wait, send in some somewhat arrow-immune fodder, and make sure our small friend doesn't suffer critical blood-loss from human-sized weaponry. A good alternative would be to capitalise on time and rush the place by ourselves, but that leaves behind a full squad of adventurers and a trained witchunter. You propose a hybrid which will probably take too long to be effective, they have more warning and we have fewer forces than last time. It is the OTHER tower that sent a flare, thhey have already started their preparations and they can run to the armoury and back in the time it takes us to sprint all the way between the towers. And if they are the slightest bit competent then the door already has a beam against it and the braces are being flipped over from the other side of the room, in place well before we can run the distance.

Or at least that is the impression I am getting. We have lost the chance for the stuff that you want. We can hit them fully prepared with us fully prepared, or hit them mostly prepared with our forces in a mess. To get a full squad of soldiers prepped and marched out here from the castle should take an hour. Special forces could complicate that, but we can't account for what we don't know, and for all we know they could have already teleported over...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: December 04, 2017, 05:18:53 am »

We can't make sure our friend lives.  We have no skill in medicine, and we have a minimally useful healing spell.  There are also other lives here which depend on us.  I don't want to throw away other lives, and possible the life of our friend, by delaying unnecessarily.

It's easy to say that we've lost the opportunity, if we take actions to intentionally lose it.  Of course we've lost the opportunity to hit them by suprise if we're taking a long time to get set up.  The Witchhunter thinks we have time if we go now.  So we go now, and do it right.  Delaying doesn't provide us any benefit at all.  You can't prove we've lost the time without going now.  You can ensure that we've lost the time by delaying.

In the end it seems simple to me.  I don't want us to sit on our ass so we can feel better about our friend, and in doing so, take risks with the lives of dozens of others, our friend included.  It'd be different if we had a strong reliable healing spell.  But we don't.  It might also be different if the enemy rang a bell or a horn or something to signal an alarm.  But they sent up a flare.  Sending up a flare means there is someone to see it.

What's the upside in waiting?  We are not a good healer.  Our presence here is not the determining factor in Eveline's life.  Our presence in the attack may well be, as we are a good fighter.

Also, RAM, "I propose we wait" is not the right answer here.  Everything we can do, we can do on the run.  Sending out guys with shields?  Can do that now.  Assaulting the other tower?  Can do that now.  Raising undead?  Can do that now, or can do that at the enemy tower.  Waiting does not improve the sitation.  We have no support coming, no mighty rituals to enact, no benefit.  Our enemies will get stronger, and we will not.  So we go now, when we have the best chance of winning, and keeping everyone alive.

Lastly, "they have more warning and we have fewer forces than last time."  That's why we need to go now, and we need to go ourselves.  The odds aren't as good, and they will get worse if we wait, and worse if we stay.  So we go when we have the best chance, which is now.  If we wait, only bad things could happen.  They could get reinforcements, or they could be more prepared.  We get nothing, as the only thing we can do in preparation is raise a few undead, and it would be a better plan to raise undead inside the enemy tower.

So we go now, and we can carry the day, which will save more lives of those who follow us, than sitting here and letting us get surrounded or slaughtered.

Even running would be better than staying.  Admit defeat, and plan later, and get some genuine help for the wounded instead of sloppy field work.  Staying is worse than attacking, and worse than running.

If you're worried about that we're not doing the assault right by doing it too quickly, then we need to start arranging it now.  Waiting while we see to someone seriously wounded will take many minutes and ensure we don't have the initiative, and that we're facing a now harder fight.  Start organizing the assault now and move as soon as we are ready, not after we've spent five minutes or ten minutes or an hour or six days helping our friend.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:45:16 am by Devastator »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: December 04, 2017, 04:18:11 pm »

You need to do your thing with Eveline if you want to get this done. You tell somebody to pull out the bolt so you can stitch it shut, but Meandra is quick to stop you on that.
It's in her lung, right now! Bleeding is the least of her troubles. We either move or take care of her. That bolt stays in until we've got something for it... Hold on,
 I've got some poppy-milk on me. Don't want her to wake up right now...

She meanders off, conversationwise, and joins forces with Sucy to take care of Eveline. You're not useful, at the moment, as you gather up the people that are willing to assault the tower. Almost instantly, the kobolt adventurer jumps on your back. You're about to complain, but honestly, you're strapped for time as it is! You wasted enough time fussing over Eveline.
You only get a few people with you. One of the sword-and-boarders wants to stay behind to stand guard for the wounded, Meandra and Sucy are taking care of her...
It's just you, the kobolt, Yunikki, the witch-hunter and the other sword-and-boarder. Hopefully, that's enough.

As you charge across the road, dodging or blocking the occasional bolt, you look up at the flare they shot. You have no idea how they did it, but there's just...  colored smoke in the air. You thought it was a fire arrow of sorts, but this must be some kind of eastern technology. You've no time to ruminate, however, as another bolt clatters off your shield. The witchhunter  takes a glancing shot, but apart from a scratch, he's fine. He makes a retaliatory strike with his crossbow, and the sudden decrease in projectiles seems to indicate he was successful. To pull off a shot like that on the move with a crossbow shows some real finesse, you have to admit. As stable as you can keep yourself in full sprint, you wouldn't be able to pull it off. Speaking of full sprint, you have started climbing. Turns out it's not quite as easy with you have to block bolts on the way up AND have eight little claws in your shoulder from the kobolt hanging on for dear life. She's not complaining, though, so you suspect she expected it at least. When you reach the top, you are happy to slam the bastard that was slinging bolts at you to kingdom come. Teeth go flying, as well as your furry little backpack. With two small blades, his throat is cut, followed by his ankles. The ankles seem more out of spite than actual purpose, considering the thrall fell to the ground gurgling and dying. The downward assault goes similar to the tower before that, and the help from your kobolt friend means you don't even have to worry about the crossbowmen. One big difference, however, is that your assault party isn't getting through the door. When you step reach the second floor, you find considerably more thralls than you were prepared to deal with. You hastily start making you retreat, abusing the direction of the circular stairs to have a better shot. These towers were curved in such a way to be easier to defend from an assault from the bottom. They didn't really account for spiders, clearly.

The thralls failing fighting style, your kobolt ally and the high ground provide you with more than enough advantages to not get overrun, but things are looking pretty dire! You're just not killing them fast enough, and they may die as easy as any other human, they still tend to disregard pain! You hear a thumping against the door, downstairs, but you don't think they'll be getting through without an alchemist! Damn it all...
You reach the top of the tower, with nowhere left to run. Your back is against the wall, and you can only barely block the next attack. You call for the kobolt to get on your back, and perform a plan they never expected.
You just kinda... saunter down along the wall. They look over the wall, looking as dumb as ever. You even need to dodge a little drool from them as you head down. It's considerably faster to get down, of course. The second you reach the bottom, you hear a small explosion at the door. You turn to see the shield-bearer kick the door in, while the witch-hunter is holding a flask. You recognize the things, they're Sucy's bottles! He must have ran back to get them...
What a waste of fucking time!

You can already see some reinforcements approaching... It's probably best to grab a barrel and get out of here! You look inside the tower, mercifully free of histiles considering they're still on the way down.
It's also free of fucking oil, so that's great. Just completely and utterly empty.
Time for a retreat, you'd say! You rush back to the other tower, intending on carrying Eveline back. This whole thing was a damned bust! As you rush to the tower, however, you see a horrid orange light coming from the door. And a more horrid shouting from a familiar voice
You're gonna scream, just like she did; open mouth, open heart, blood and noise forever piercing my skull, poisoning me with its psychopathic purple prattling. We watched it all, and felt the knife edge split down the middle... CAN YOU HEAR ME?!
You turn the corner, and you see the Hellborn again, already on fire and smashing his axe against the shield of the guard. The shield is the only thing keeping that burning lunatic away from him, until, suddenly, he grabs the shield with his off hand and slams his axeblade right in the skull of your ally! The axe embeds itself deep, and the adventurer twitches for a moment before becoming still.
You roar in a rage, and shieldbash him at full speed. A bolt hits the psychopath's shoulder, and without a weapon he is quick to tear at one of the animal skins along his hip. Like before, he is suddenly engulfed in a blinding, blue fireball! You are smart enough to look away, but you still hear his shouts.
REMEMBER THE THUNK! MY THUNK TOOK YOUR PAWN AND I'M GONNA EAT YOUR CHESSBOARD! HAHAHahahaha....
His voice fades as he is reduced to nothing but ashes.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!?
Shut up and help me get the rest out of here!
When you enter, you see Meandra clutching her arm. She has a pretty bad burn wound... Fortunately, everybody else is fine, relatively. Eveline is currently unconscious, but the bolt is out of her chest, at least. Sucy looks to be unharmed, although she still looks majorly pissed off. The white-hot seething rage that's scarily quiet.
You pull Eveline on your back, and tell everybody to pull out. However, the adventurers want to take the corpse of their fallen friend with them...
It'll slow you down, and those reinforcements must be breathing down your neck at this point!

Let them take the corpse.
It might be important for morale, and you'll be able to fight off some thralls, right? Just need to make sure Eveline stays safe...

Forget the corpse! We need to move.
Tell them to leave the corpse. You can only hope they'll actually follow that order.

Leave that corpse or BECOME one!
Force them to leave the corpse behind, possibly with violence.

Other

Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: December 04, 2017, 07:14:47 pm »

Animate the corpse, we can't carry it nor can we fight the thralls off on our own, but we don't want to leave it here, where the vamp could get it and use it against us or defile it or something.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: December 04, 2017, 09:29:24 pm »

Carry the corpse ourselves.  We can move faster than the adventurers can unencumbered, so we'll be slowing ourselves down to stick with them in any case.  Since our stinger isn't much use, it won't hamper us in combat too much.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: December 04, 2017, 09:49:55 pm »

Carry the corpse ourselves.  We can move faster than the adventurers can unencumbered, so we'll be slowing ourselves down to stick with them in any case.  Since our stinger isn't much use, it won't hamper us in combat too much.
+1

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: December 05, 2017, 03:41:58 am »

+1
+1=+2
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: December 05, 2017, 04:50:26 am »

You can't be serious right now! You look to your right and see the reinforcements getting closer. Considering everybody's injured, you know you won't get out of that fight without casualties, but these idiots are willing to become a liability so they can dig a damn ditch for a corpse! The man is dead, why should anybody care about the corpse?
You briefly considering resurrecting it, but considering they need to pay respects to it, you suspect that the adventurers won't like that either. What the hell are you going to do...
You hear a labored breath from Eveline on your back, and finally give a restrained little scream of frustration before ordering:
Yuni, take Eveline. I'll carry the damned corpse!
The adventurers are thankful, if nothing else. But they're not the ones carrying an extra thick guy with armor and weapons. One more than usual, considering that axe is still lodged in there. All in all, it's not a weight you're super stoked about, even with the hydraulic musculature.
You run as fast as you can, but you feel fatigue before you get very far. You grit your teeth and keep moving, even as the adventurers actually start to outpace you. Yunikki is in the same boat as you. While she's more than strong enough to carry Eveline, she's still doing it in full plate. Before long, sweat makes your hair stick to you, irritating your upper eyes a little bit from the salty liquids. Sucy is also running out of breath, clearly not used to running a long distance like this. More of a sprinter, if you had to guess.

Fortunately, most of the reinforcements went to the tower instead of the people running from it. So you've only got two thralls on your tail.
You really wish the feral woman wasn't with them spouting very angry things in a language you don't understand... Might be deadlands native, or even from far up north! If she really is the leader of these mercs, you suspect that you don't want to fight her in the current state of tired and overloaded. The adventurers didn't seem to keen on sticking close, and the kobolt is outright gone! The witch-hunter, however, is performing some more on-the-move shots with that crossbow. You notice he has a crank to load the string back, which explains some parts of his reloading. The fact that he pulls out the bolts from a small belt around his shoulder with his teeth show that he's not afraid to improvise, as well. Two of the thralls are quickly taken down, but then the feral woman roars  successfully tackles Yunikki!
Eveline rolls away, landing in some relatively soft grass, sure, but it was still a nasty fall. The feral begins to savage Yunikki with her own claws, far better quality than the ones you saw on the others! All your armored friend can do is flail her arms, hoping to stop the frenzied hits as her armor is torn to pieces! Deep gouges in both metal and flesh leave Yunikki screaming, and you are quick to dump the corpse and charge to your overwhelmed friend.

Fortunately, a bolt to the side of the feral is enough to distract her while you use your shield to bash her away. With your full momentum, a scream of fury, and some serious repressed rage from your sane side, the feral woman is sent flying head over heels! She takes a rough landing on her back, but she's back up in as little as a second!
Ggrrh! You loosened my teeth, abomination!
I'll jostle a bit more than that if you come closer, you cunt!
My, what language. Your opponent is happy to oblidge, getting down on all fours. Her legs seem to bend unnaturally to permit it, and she rushes forward at speeds you never could have imagined. An unearthy scream comes from her as she pounces on you. If you had the balance of a normal human, you'd have been knocked down and savaged like Yunikki. Fortunately, you have eight legs and some serious abdomen to prevent that. You hold her back with your shield and throw her off, sending the feral sprawling. Suddenly, a large arrow hits her in the thigh, from behind. For a small second you look away to look at the witchhunter, who has taken some distance and his longbow. The arrow completely pierced the woman's leg, and she falls on one knee.
D-dishonor!
Yeah yeah...
You walk closer, the shock from the pounce still wearing off in your joints. It was still a damned mighty pounce!

You thrust your blade through her chest, and pull it out to let her bleed. You most certainly hit her heart, and she falls.
There... A victory. Perhaps a turning point.
Help me carry the rest, alright? Take care of Eveline and follow me!
Who?
The kobolt!
You pick up Yunikki, and plop her on your back. She's not unconscious yet, but she's losing a lot of blood. She's clamping to your stomach as you go. Her armor would have made her even more weighty then the corpse, if it wasn't for the fact that she leaves the ruined metal around her arm. The claws tore it apart, and she could cut herself even more if she left it. She groans in pain from the effort of releasing the little belts.
The corpse is left behind. You've got bigger things to worry about.

When you arrive at camp, you are absolutely exhausted. The adventurers look to be creating the grave for their companion. When they see you don't have it with you, they are quick to complain.
We need to show respect to our fallen compatriot! the big-chinned shield-bearer says This is honorless!
You snap at them. These morons left you behind!
FINE! GO GET THE CORPSE! ASK HIM IF HONOR MATTERS!
Nobody says anything. You can only hear your own panting for a while, your vision blurry and your lungs burning from exertion.
His silence is your damned answer.
I...
Just go. We have wounded to take care of.

You have two injured party members, and those adventurers left you to rot. What should you do now?

Rest
You'll deal with these idiots in the morning, when the tension isn't so high and you're not in danger of passing out.

Help the injured
Sucy will need some help. Eveline's wounds opened up, and you've got some stitching to do on Yunikki. You're tired, sure, but you'll manage

Other
Perhaps those adventurers deserve a bit of a chewing out.

Map
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:07:01 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: December 05, 2017, 07:53:16 am »

Help the injured
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 05, 2017, 11:50:32 am »

Take a moment to catch your breath first, and then help the wounded.

(After the spiderlings thing we really should improve our physical capabilities.  If we were a bit stronger or bigger that would have been much easier.)

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 05, 2017, 02:09:53 pm »

Breath heavily and help the injured
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: December 06, 2017, 03:23:28 pm »

You do your best to help Yunikki with her wounds. It looks pretty ugly, but she'll live. After that was done, however, you just about fainted on your bed. Stitching somebody together while being so tired is quite the exercise. It's mentally exhausting, above all.

When you wake up, it's already dawn. The adventurers are still here, looking disheartened. The witchhunter has set up a tent nearby. Apparently, he's staying as well. You have a headache from overworking yourself, and both of the injured are still bedridden for the moment. Eveline may be fine, for the most part, but her breathing is still a little hampered. If you send her out, she just won't be in a great position, not to mention a bod jostle could lead to her lungs filling up. She needs another day before it's safe. Yunikki can't even lift her sword, at the moment. She's still got plenty of internal damage, and Sucy will be busy all day giving regular drops of whatever it is she uses to heal her. You're basically out of a party, and you don't want to deal with the adventurers right now

Get everybody together for a fresh plan of attack.
Even if you need to wait for them to get better, it can't hurt to get some things ready

Swallow that anger, and set up a mission with the adventurers
You're a little absolutely livid miffed at the moment. But you can't just do nothing for a day, can you?

Rest and socialize with the newest party member
It was a busy day. Maybe it's best to take a day off.

Other

Map
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Exceptionally short update today. I'm really tired, and there wasn't that much happening, either way.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:56:34 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: December 07, 2017, 10:52:44 am »

We need to rest today, (too many injured) but we should try to keep up morale a bit.  Lets try to rustle up a good meal with the cookbook, and improve our skeletal dragon thing a bit.  I think some cicida-like spurs on the hind legs so it can send coded messages would be useful.  (long/short, etcetera.) That would let us communicate over a pretty long distance, and isn't too physical so the wounded can recuperate, but mentally engaging enough to keep people thinking positive.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 216