Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 186030 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1185 on: November 24, 2017, 05:10:36 pm »

Y.
Your First/Last excursion into illustrated games went well, now its time to return to the main event.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: November 24, 2017, 05:14:06 pm »

Y but before that

put your hand on that hole

It was a cool trip, make someone else suffer is always delightful
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: November 24, 2017, 07:28:49 pm »

I am not sure how to handle this interlude...

The obvious would be "Sydney awakens from the most disturbing dream". That seems too obvious though... Would that adorable portrait be enough for someone to recognise Sydney? That might be significant if someone else had a traumatic vision...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: November 25, 2017, 05:02:57 pm »

You awaken feeling a little nauseous. Your shoulder feels a little... stiff. Lifting he armor to take a look, you also see a little bulge and, more importantly, a stitched up cut. Looks like you've been having a bit of an episode again. Still, you're at camp, and Yunikki seems to be nodding off next to you. Her helmet is still on, and there are a lot more dents on her back. You also see a hole in her leg armor, probably from a bolt. There's also a small bit of dried blood around the hole, but she doesn't look to be in pain. I mean, here she is, dutifully failing at not falling asleep. You decide to get up, taking care not to move your shoulder overmuch. It's probably a little tender, even if it doesn't hurt at the moment. You tap her on the shoulder, and she wakes up.
Rather violently.
She falls over, scuffles back a little bit and then looks around in a mild befuddlement. Then you can hear her exhale behind her helmet, calming down.
Holy hells, you damn near gave me a heart attack!
I'm only a little sorry... Can you fill me on what happened? Did I do something unsavory?
Oh, no. Quite the opposite, you cleared out a camp... I sent the adventurers to secure it, while you were out. Eveline said it should take a while for you to wake up, especially considering you don't really... sleep.
I do sleep, you know
I don't count four hours as a proper sleep. At best, that's a nap... It kinda shows, you know.
Nobody points it out
Nobody saw you before you got your noodle damaged. I mean, I've seen you sleep during the time I get up early. You are not subtle about your nightmares.
You don't say anything to that. What is there to say? You suspected waking up with your cheeks wet from tears isn't really normal, but you didn't wake up FEELING bad... If nothing else,you don't remember the nightmares, which probably helps.

Is there anything I should know? What did you guys do?
We went on a raid of our own, with less success. We had to retreat after Meandra got hurt. Crossbow bolt to the back. Apparently, she got lucky, a few inches higher and she would have bled out. Right now, it's just kind of a gut wound. Takes a while to kill you, and with the alchemists, we've got the means to save her.
How is she now?
Oh, she's fine. She's sleeping right now... Most people are, actually, but they wanted me to keep watch in case you woke up bad.
Well... I think I'm fine.
Yeah, I suppose you are. I'm going to bed properly, if you don't mind. Unlike you, I need to get my winks in.
Alright... Do you sleep in your armor?
Not usually, but if you expect to get attacked I prefer the safety.
You probably REEK in there.
I wash myself, don't you worry. And besides, who's saying there's anything that can get dirty under here.
You blush a little, flustered at the implication... How is she not incredible uncomfortable? I mean, armor like that isn't comfy even with the proper gear, and she's implying that she...
Maybe it was a joke.

Regardless, you don't really feel all too sleepy, right now. Probably because you just slept for the better part of the day. It's night-time, and your other companions are asleep.
Maybe you should do something.

Reinforce the camp
Plenty of ways you can improve the place. Some webbing in the right spots will certainly help.

Scout out the forest.
There may be some things skulking around. Best to take care of that right now.

What's this book?
Seems a little odd...

Other?

Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: November 25, 2017, 05:29:57 pm »

Read the book.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 25, 2017, 05:51:40 pm »

Read the cookbook. If it has detailed instructions on properly preparing ancient necromantic tomes, then we may have to deal with jealous literature for the foreseeable future.

Although.. A quick patrol, maybe half an hour, would probably be prudent.

And, umm, we can probably use our draining breath to heal, if we find something edible out there.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: November 26, 2017, 12:43:58 pm »

Some webs won't make a really good work in fortifications (although with necromancy bone and web can make really nasty stuff)

Scout, try to see if the cloud can help our maxhp heal a bit or something like this

A quick glance at the cookbook can help the scout, and say something nasty about the odd book

The darkness book(if he turns out friendly and a bit harmless i will begin calling it Darky) will probably talk to us in the middle of the scout,

We should probably notice that there is something weird in our butt (Eggsacks on poison)
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 26, 2017, 12:57:43 pm »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: November 27, 2017, 04:37:44 pm »

It wouldn't do to be worthless, right now, and you aren't that excited about the idea of the vampire making another sudden visit in the middle of camp. It's probably best to scout the forest out a little, even in the dark. Your night vision isn't awful, but you're not nearly at the level of Eveline or ratlings. And Eveline isn't that exceptional, come to think of it, just above average. At any rate, you're still going to have a little scout. You decide against waking your companions, and set off. As you walk, you also decide to open up your cookbook again. You use a passive little death-bolt to cast some light. You just hold it in your hand like a little flame to help light your way and the book. To be honest, it doesn't really give off light or anything, but it's more that it... absorbs the darkness? It has the same principle, easier to see, but it's enough of a change to comment on.
Man, being a necromancer is cool. That also reminds you to maybe get something more combat effective than a giant spider as a minion. Or the little lizard. It can glide on those little wings you made for it, but not that well. At least it can lash out a little flame-tongue. Not that it'd kill anything more dangerous than a dust mite, and it could just bite for the same effect except faster. Still, you got a B- for it.

The forest is as empty as always, it seems. Little more than the usual recipes are here, squirrel stew, mouse paté, about thirty recipes with just the local plants (apparently, there are some exceptionally poisonous berries that are very healthy if cooked properly)... The forbidden section has recipes for kobolt and human. Those'd be your friends, of course. Looks like there aren't any real threats around, and the ultra bearine is out of range for the book. You don't really feel like scouring the cave for that thing, as it's still kind of a nasty cave. Spiders DO poop, you know, and it's a watery business. It's kind of like birds, in that regard. Eventually, however, you notice a the jostling of something new on your back. You hadn't been paying that much attention to it before, but it's clear you've got something new...
Looks like the queen's been looting. Well, you don't really care where it came from. It's new, and you're just a teensy bit bored.
You take the tome off your back, and take a good look at it. The title's in a language you can't quite read, but the book cover gives you enough of a hint. It's a leatherbound book, with strange demonic fingers holding the sides together. A skull is attached to the top of the spine of the book, a spine that seems to be rather literal, besides. The title looks more like a single mark, too.

It should have been enough to stop you, but you just... can't help yourself. You carefully try to open the book, and the fingers creak as they pull away behind the book, bending more than the finger should allow. Faintly, you swear you could hear the quiet little pop every time they seem to break. With your heart-rate increasing, you open the book to the first page. It seems to be two symbols.

The significance is lost on you, although you do get a faint headache from looking at it. You turn to the next page, which is a lot more meaningful, at least. It seems like a well-annotated textbook on... You're not quite sure. The drawings show some disturbing imagery, however, showing creatures that seem look like a dog and a squid were mixed and then turned inside-out. The text itself seems to think these creatures are about as awful as you could expect, describing them as the dogs of the final, maddening days. The annotations become more and more incoherent as the description goes on. These "Flesh Hounds" aren't even close to the most dangerous thing around, but their presence seems to imply much worse. Exactly WHAT it implies is unclear. It seems to ramble about a horrible, unspeakable truth of the world, one that the annotator seemed to be unfit to properly write. At any rate, you ARE very interested. Especially when you see the most important part of this book.

The summoning ritual. Apparently, it's deceptively simple. All you need is to write the marks in a circle, and place the book in the middle as you say the incantations. They will be bound to your will, "in the most direct way possible", whatever that means. Surprisingly though, this process will require some mana. It makes some sense, however, considering you only need to write some symbols. The book must also be a rather rare ingredient.
The annotations change a little bit here, a different handwriting.
"Avoid summoning at all costs. Previous owner devoured."
Well, you'll NOT be using that thing, then. Although...
Suddenly, you notice some ink splotches rearrange before your eyes. You only barely resist dropping the book in shock, and continue watching as the splotches form a very neat handwriting.
The hounds do as the master wills. Even if the master does not know it himself.
You blink, and the message is gone once more.

You decide to leave the book at that, and only when you close it do you realize you didn't need light (or negative darkness) to read that tome.
There is great power in this book, if that was the first chapter. The annotations seem to be the safest thing to read, besides, as they contain accounts of the previous owners. You suspect this may be the ONLY way to discover things about the eldritch without harming yourself.
Still, the book makes you uneasy. The skull along the spine seems to stare at you, and you swear that skeletal grin is not just because it lacks lips.
You won't be leaving this book behind, that's for sure.

Map
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 27, 2017, 05:12:52 pm »

Hmm, we can make the pets have fire traits without much work and don't hurting thenselves, tongues, eyes...

We maybe can make those splitters split fire instead of venom, that will be VERY useful against the vampire.

When was the familiar toasted? maybe we could repair it or reinforce it with some dead tissue of spiders, and put some webs on the wings just for Aesthetics

Well, we should just walk a bit more and go back to reinforce the walls while eating breakfast and seeing with Eveline if our health can be restored to what it used to be somehow.

and then decide our next step. We should talk about traps with the rogue, talk about what our scout saw and see if there is an efficient way of disarming many of them on the go without having to stop all the time (maybe The only way is to make ALL of them active with spiders, but maybe we could plant a bunch of vermins ready to activate on the enemies head/disarm the traps while we invade in case the rogue teach us the basic of traps)

To deal with the meat golem we will need everybody, and use a lot of traps (hey rogue), and some ropes to put him down.

Sydney don't know that they are reinforcing the towers, although now i think that they are reinforced by now so whatever.

But Sydney knows that the vampire loves the use of fear.

After winning the golem if we can't reanimate it to our own gain and use against the outposts we should hang it and write in fire or whatever in front of it  "Sharkboy and lavagirl" err, i mean "FERAL GIRL AND FIRE BOY, I CHALLENGE YOU ON THE VILLAGE" (this way we can make them walk into OUR traps, and get rid of them.)
Novice english wordsmith

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 27, 2017, 07:39:15 pm »

There is some risk that our will is self-destructive, also that it is everything-else destructive... We really have had a lot of unfun times.
Then again they might just leap down our throats. "Eat everything" doesn't seem like our will, but the evidence is clear...
We should probably get a divination of our will at some point. There are likely self-help wizards out there or we could just ask Death about it. I mean, not that we should go summoning a horde of feral monsters just because we have been informed that our will is favourable to generally good things, but it would be good to know what the outcome is likely to be if we ever find ourself to be truly desperate. Or we could just get Queen to do it. Her will is, by all accounts, a bit more direct, and very likely involves the destruction of enemies...
Read the First Post!

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 27, 2017, 07:46:27 pm »

Actually, we may want to consider having a chat with Death sometime in the near future. We could use some godly thoughts on all the weird/eldritch stuff we've been getting involved with lately.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 27, 2017, 09:02:15 pm »

-quack- Or we could just get Queen to do it. Her will is, by all accounts, a bit more direct, and very likely involves the destruction of enemies...

The elder beings will probably force her enemies to worship her

By the way, we got a thousands of names to play with and name her, and nobody named in the end, me and RAM have problems deciding it, other players sometimes pops but no one wanted to name... the queen is still, the queen...

Maybe we should create 4 acceptable names and ask for spleens to roll the 1d4?

(Although if we are so undecided Liquified could get a name he thinks that will be more significant story-wise or better to write)
Novice english wordsmith

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 28, 2017, 03:57:29 pm »

My personal proposals for Queen names are
Canberra
Alexia
Lilith
Dentera

If any of these strike you fancy, vote on them. Really, we've got plenty of time to think about this. The Queen isn't that bad, it just occurred to me that it makes more sense for her to give herself a name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, no. Most likely there is very little we can do to fix it straight away. You CAN do whatever you like, however, it should be as strong as it always is. Apart from a little bulge and some initial stiffness, you're completely fine.
Oh my god, PHRASING.
I'm... not that sorry, to be honest
Back to the subject, I am able to heal through life-drain.
Oh, that doesn't fix broken bones, generally. Meandra adds, taking some time to stop drinking her milk. They actually raided the farmhouse for some bottles while you were out. You don't even know where they looked for them, considering you didn't see anything. Still, it's nice to have, that's for sure. Milk is pretty awesome.
Sad but true, but bones just don't grow back easy. That's why we've got proper healers. If it came down to it, we'd all just use alchemy, wouldn't we?
Not that it's easy to make healing potions... We've got things to make stuff clot, things to basically add a few pints of blood... I killed a man with that one, it was kind of awesome. It's not stuff you should use without some knowledge of how it works is what I mean.
Didn't you fail Health class?
Like I said, I killed a man.
Oh. So THAT's what happened to the bandits they carried off... Kinda brutal.
They were going to get executed by the crusader order, regardless. This was a mercy, they were sedated in this case.
Believe me when I say we don't fuck around with our executions. The Cleansing Flame was not a subtle man, to say the least.

You take the time to look around with your little scout to check out the different traps that were put in place. Most of them look like simple enough tripwires. Most of them just swing something heavy at you, although said heavy things tend to have something sharp. As long as you don't go too fast, you should be able to deal with it all. Or just use a spider to trigger the things, if things need to go fast.
That leaves you with little else to do for right now. You planned on talking to the kobolt in the adventurer party, but they're currently in the outpost you cleared out. You could try to discuss laying traps for the golem with your current party, but you don't have anybody that knows that much about traps.

Go to the outpost and pick up the kobolt, or other members of the adventurers.
Best to get somebody who knows what they're talking about

Figure it out yourself.
You've got more time to mess about in the morning, the patrols come a little later.

Read the book a little more
It's... captivating.

Other

Map
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 28, 2017, 04:47:40 pm »

How plausible would it be to construct a smal, extremely fast, limited-use undead construct dedicated to webbing, within a couple of days? It'd probably be mostly legs and silk-glands. Maybe a grid of about 5 silk-depositors on a fist-sized body with a one-metre leg-span with three-dimensional leg-coverage... Something designed to just spry webbing all over a certain someone while they are otherwise engaged in battle. Maybe even with something extra-flammable(and melty-sticky) mixed into the webbing? It would probably be too fragile to work effectively unless we had other means of reducing vampiric combat ability, but still, we pretty much need something with nonsensical speed or something that disables across a large area without warning. Somethign like that might also be used to block off escape vectors...

Probably better to just get a mess of exploding birds and wait for them to monologue. Actually, we could do something like that if they pay us a visit again. I mean, sure, ground-zero exploding birds is no fun, but we must have gotten our burn scars from somewhere... And if we can manage some near-silent gliders with order to fly around us until we are approached by a vampire, then all group up and then glide into the vampire's back to explode... Well, it might make our next visit more interesting...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 216