Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 186067 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #990 on: September 25, 2017, 02:33:48 pm »

Stay a while and listen...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 25, 2017, 07:03:35 pm »

... Seriously? Why!? Were we not already cursed enough!?! Ergh... +1!

We warned them, we can take precautions, what else is there... Take a look around for souls. Make sure that there aren't any in the walls or ground or sky such that the whole village is actually a giant mouth... Discretely swish some hair around to check that it is not mimics or flesh-monsters that are completely alive... Remind ourselves that we are only being paranoid because there are gods and whle religions dedic- no! Nope! We are definitely paranoid! but a little paranoia can be healthy! It is a dangerous world and the one time that someone isn't what they claim to be tends to be more important than the 1000 times that everything is just as it seems. And we aren't exactly hurting anyone, a little trauma maybe, but we are saving them from much worse!

And goodness gravy please no, why do they have to have mind-bending brands. At least a brand should leave a mark, until they learn to reshape the flesh...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 25, 2017, 09:16:46 pm »

“Once that mark was on them, they ceased to be themselves. They joined the woman, cackling and raving about the Harmony.”

Oh, it remind me some parties i have been...

... Seriously? Why!? Were we not already cursed enough!?! Ergh... +1!

We warned them, we can take precautions, what else is there... Take a look around for souls. Make sure that there aren't any in the walls or ground or sky such that the whole village is actually a giant mouth... Discretely swish some hair around to check that it is not mimics or flesh-monsters that are completely alive... Remind ourselves that we are only being paranoid because there are gods and whle religions dedic- no! Nope! We are definitely paranoid! but a little paranoia can be healthy! It is a dangerous world and the one time that someone isn't what they claim to be tends to be more important than the 1000 times that everything is just as it seems. And we aren't exactly hurting anyone, a little trauma maybe, but we are saving them from much worse!

And goodness gravy please no, why do they have to have mind-bending brands. At least a brand should leave a mark, until they learn to reshape the flesh...

+1

After checking a bit where you are just talk with companions and have their opinions, at least you can stress out talking a bit
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 26, 2017, 07:55:29 am »

You walk around the village a little, while you keep your wits about you, you are a little more relaxed than before. Things don’t seem to be that bad, all things considered. You do wonder why all the cultists were humans, while everybody other than the priest looks to be an orc, but most likely those three were his choir boys or… something. You don’t entirely know WHICH god he prays to, but as long as it isn’t the elder gods from beyond understanding or decency it’s probably fine. You also make it a point to swish around the hair of some people, practicing your necromany while you’re at it. It’s been a while since you even spent half a day without using any form of necromancy. Come to think of it, perhaps it would have been a good idea to ask if you could keep one of those monkeys from the exam. Well, it’ll come up when it comes up. Considering you aren’t about to risk resurrecting cultists, it may be a while before you can resurrect something big. Most of the jungle creatures that are worth resurrecting are too hard to kill. Once you’re back in your homeland, you should maybe look into killing an elk of some sort.

The hair-checking doesn’t show anything of note, although most of the orcs are completely bald. You could only check the women, for the most part, and the occasional beard, but considering that absolutely none of them seem to be anything out of usual, it’s all good. You come up with an idea for checking the general magic, but you’re honestly not sure how to start. You’re fairly set in your necromantic sight, and it never came up at all in your four years of magic study to look for general magic. You suspect there’s no spell to do it with, or if there is, that you don’t know it. Perhaps Meandra could help? Although it wouldn’t help in case of a ritual, though. There’s very little magic involved in creating those, until the THING happens. Some of them require some sort of magic power source, sure, but most of the time it’s just obscure symbols and ingredients put together in such a way that it couldn’t be an accident. So you go about it the way you should, and put some real elbow grease in looking around. The locals seem to be a bit wary of the strange spider-woman that goes around checking every nook and cranny in search of crayon markings of weird bones. None of them seem to mind overmuch, though, being too busy wandering around looking concerned about something. It took a while for you to notice, but you haven’t been paying attention to them to begin with. It’s getting clear that things aren’t quite as they should be. Too many people seem to be lost all of a sudden, like they were going somewhere with just the intention of not being where they just were. Another thing you noticed is that there isn’t a church of any kind. You wonder where that priest is doing his services…

The rest of your companions are a lot more laid-back, although Yunikki is kind of looking down at the general populace here, and not just because of the differing religion.
“They’re all so backwards… Civilisation is a day’s walk from here, and here they are in furs and mudhuts. I’m expecting to find out they cannibalize their dead at any moment.
I’ll take my homeland’s savagery over this, at least that still had a beauty of its own!”
She says to you, having joined you in your aimless wandering through the village. The place is fairly small, so it only takes about ten minutes to walk through the whole place. You estimate only about a hundred orcs live here, and none of them have spoken a word of common, as the priest said. You haven’t really been trying, though. You find more of your friends in different places around the village. Eveline is talking to the village shaman, mostly around the local flora and fauna, and what type of poisons and tonics they make from those. The Shaman’s common is rusty, at best, but it’s serviceable. Eveline seems to be enjoying herself, and the old man is happy to share his knowledge. He’s strikes an odd figure, to say the least. His legs look too short for his torso, while his arms seem too long. His carries a staff with a skull on it, which has been adorned with all manner of paint, dolls and other. The shaman himself is wearing a skull mask, and has a large satchel filled with all manner of things. You see a few skulls in there, as well. Most of them look to be monkey skulls, though. Nothing too bad. You watch for a time as the old man’s baritone carries the conversation between him and the kobolt.

Suddenly, you feel something icy cold on your neck, and you nearly jump out of your skin! You take a blind swing at the offending sensation, but catch nothing but air. Then you notice Sucy standing below you, looking annoyed at your reaction.
“Do you do this to everybody who needs your attention?”
“Just people that sneak up on me like that… Seriously, how are you so quiet!?”
“Practice. Anyhow, things aren’t going too well around here.”
Yunikki cuts in to the conversation, feeling a little left out, apparently.
“Yes, I can tell, they haven’t gone beyond mud huts yet in the same timespan the rest of the world figured out bricks and literature. Not to mention indoor plumbing!”
“These guys choose not to follow the rest of the world. But that’s beside the point, they don’t like the priest very much. They do what he says, sure, but they don’t like him. I figure there’s couple of cultural renovators ready to claim this land. It’s not uncommon, from what I heard.”
That does sound awful, but…
“Is this really OUR problem? We don’t have time to make a political movement to save the tribe here, at best we help out their immediate problems.”
“Another thing…. How did the priest know the way back if he was kidnapped?”
“Just what are you implying, here?”
“I’m saying that he-“ Suddenly, the high elderly voice of the priest cuts into the conversation. He seems to be a lot more jolly than before.
“Aaah, my rescuers!” He says, placing his hands on the shoulders of both you and Sucy. Sucy tells him not to touch him, but he hardly seems to hear.
“I’m happy to tell you that the meal will be served soon. It’s just the four o’ clock meal, but I believe you will be glad to have a quick snack before you go on the road again? Of course, you are welcome to stay for the evening meal!”

The turnaround is uncanny, but you have to admit your uncle could be much the same way whenever he arrived at your father’s inn. The man just loves being home, or whatever equivalent this is. Yunikki is quick to say that she’d prefer to leave soon, but this could go either way, really. You’ll have to ask Meandra first, considering it’s her expedition, and then democracy will decide whether people will stay for the evening meal or not. Regardless, the four o’ clock sounds good. You look to Eveline, and see the shaman staring at the priest with contempt. They clearly don’t get along, the way they look at each other is evidence enough of that. Still, the shaman tells Eveline to join up with you again, which she does after a few more thank you’s and leaving a few supplies of her own. Her short legs carry her to you in short order. You just need to find Meandra, and the party’s complete. The priest assures you that he has already spoken to her, and that she will continue studying the totem pole at the center of town. Considering how studious she is, it makes sense that she’d stay there, although you wonder where the meal is going to be if not the center of town. Your question is answered as you enter a larger than most home. It doesn’t have a floor, but it is strangely cosy with it’s simple furniture. The entrance leads to a large room, but there are a few other rooms, much smaller. There is an awful smell here, which the priest explains comes from the paint vat in one of the siderooms. The paintsmell is easy to get used to, but something about seems familiar…

He offers a large basket of fruits to all of you, and two rabbits are turning on a spit above a small fire in the center of the room. Eveline is happy to eat a few of the fruits, and Yunikki does the same, but not before scoffing about the lack of chairs. Sucy takes one, but doesn’t take a bite of it yet. Before you grab one, however, the priest invites you to follow him. According to him he has something for you specifically, but it’s on a very high shelf. He can’t reach it, you can. Considering he is still just a single old man, and you’re armed, you decide to humor him. He takes you in the back of the building, in the direction of the awful paint smell. When the curtain is taken aside, the smell hits you like a sledgehammer. You hold your nose closed with your hand as you wander deeper inside. The smell is awful to you, but the priest hardly seems to mind.
Then it hits you why this is so familiar.
Your mark itches as you look at the pot of paint, you look to the priest, and see he is blocking the curtain. You hear a pot clattering to the floor in the main room.

NOPE STABBIES NOW.
He’s not keeping you in here!

Demand answers!
Let’s not be too hasty. It may just be normal paint, but this is the most suspicious thing you ever saw..

Keep Calm
It’s just paint. Grab whatever it was that he wanted you to grab and move on.

Other

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:03:15 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 26, 2017, 08:18:26 am »

Keep calm, and keep an eye on him. He didn't say he wanted you to grab anything just gestured you to follow him before you ate anything... That could mean he has poisoned everyone else or that the orks were ordered to Kill everyone once he had you.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 26, 2017, 08:41:25 am »

Demand answers. Be prepared to go full stabby-mode at any time.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 26, 2017, 08:49:36 am »

We just followed him because he wanted us to grab something.

*blink*
Soul sight, look around
*blink*
Keep a calm look, but do it fast, see what else is there, is something resembling a poison or alchemy ingredients?

WAIT, what was that pot clattering?
*blink*
Soul sight In the direction of the room, soul of friends getting weird? RUSH THERE ( But keep in mind that he might interfere)
Nothing?

Okay, Question time point your sword to the paint and question with a calm voice but with that angry look "WHAT is this paint? WHO it belongs and WHY?" (this way we already have sword in hands)

Grab whatever you have to grab, and if everything alright till we go back ask sorry again, no need to explain two times why we are so Defensive
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 26, 2017, 04:58:32 pm »

Stabbies feels a bit premature, but a shield-first sprint through the entrance seems fitting. *checks stress levels* huh, pretty low considering... I am inclined to run to Yunikki and blabber about the priest having a pot of paint as though it were the end of the world. Of course, a hundred-odd kilograms of spider impacting shield-first is not exactly safe. And there are, no doubt, many highly virtuous rituals involving paint-usage, possibly even in tattoos, but between the cultists, the paint, having something special just for us when the whole group rescued him and we didn't even go into his hole... We are not staying in this room! We are going to go through that door, freak out properly about how suspicious everything is, finding Meandra and asking if it is either an evil cult ritual focus or a protective item that is blocking some evil cult ritual.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 26, 2017, 07:54:14 pm »

NOPE. STABBIES NOW.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 26, 2017, 09:17:04 pm »

NOPE. STABBIES NOW.
I can hear the author's glee from here. The xanatos gambit is in place...
Kill the priest? He was innocent all along and just wanted to talk shop about magical tattoos. Sydney is a murderer!
Leave the priest be? Ritual time! External organs for everyone!!!
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 27, 2017, 01:29:00 pm »

Now is the time to remain calm and not do anything rash.
You pull out your sword and point it at the priest while yelling: WHAT'S THE MEANING OF THIS!?
The priest seems more annoyed than scared at the sudden escalation.
It's a spice rack. I need you to reach up there and gra-THE PAINT. You interrupt. You're not panicking, just majorly angry at the current development.
Yes, it's paint.It smells a little, now please just-I know what this paint does. You say. There is more emotion in that interruption than you planned, but considering the memories, it's hardly surprising.
The man blinks in surprise. That's about all you're willing to accept. You activate your soulsight, and see there is a TON of movement right outside the walls. The priest Looks to you with a disdainful look in his eye.
I thought I had found a colorful collection of fools... I was not aware you would be the traitor to the Harmony. He flicks his sleeve, and a dagger flies into his hand. It has a curve to it, and looks to be partially covered in flesh.

You remove your shield from your back, and charge forward! The priest was prepared for it, but there is little he can do against your assault. He almost goes flying, and your walk over him on the way to your friends. You see Eveline and Yunikki lying motionless on the floor, as more cultists enter the room. They all bear the mask, and all of them are humans. You notice Sucy standing in a combat stance, with a corpse in front of her. She is nursing a wound on her belly, but she's still standing. She glances in your direction, and just points to the entrance as she goes over to Eveline's limp body. She groans in pain as she puts the kobolt over her shoulder, and then cries out!
Behind you!
You twist, and just barely manage to block the clumsy stab of the priest with your sword. The thin dagger cracks apart, and you bash him with the point of your shield. He stumbles backwards before hitting the wall and fainting entirely. His forehead is cut open, and a steady stream of blood is running over his face. Of course, you still need to focus on the cultists that are carefully coming closer. They seem hesitant to attack for now, but they are steadily trickling in. Two of them make a run towards Sucy, but she throws a little sack of green powder on the floor, which bursts into a green fumes that you can smell from here. It smells acidic, and the advance of the two is stopped long enough for you to charge forward and thrust your sword in the closest one. He screams in pain, and the other one backs up rapidly. Nobody is keen to fight you, it seems, but as more and more of them enter the building, that fear is disappearing.

There are six of them as of now, and they are trying to circle you. Your back is to the wall, considering you also need to defend Sucy. She has dropped Eveline, having forced herself too much for her wound. She still has a few things to throw, but she won't be moving from there. Which is a problem as the cultists aren't here to take you down so much as they are here to take Yunikki! Two of them are getting ready to carry her out of here, but you won't let that happen just yet! You perform a charge, bowling one over and forcing another one to dodge. You perform two quick slashes to get the cultists away from Yunikki, but a sudden pain is felt from your shoulder. One of those bastards managed a glancing hit against your shoulder, but your armor has taken most of the blow! Apart from the punch itself, you're not damaged. You start dragging Yunikki to the back, where Sucy is sitting against the floor. She is waving some kind of vial around to keep them at bay, and the green gases from earlier are still dangerously sparking and sizzling. It's one direction they can't come from, at least. It takes every muscle you have to move forward, keep cultists at bay, AND keep on dragging Yunikki's heavily plated ass forward. If you weren't a drider, this would prove to be impossible, for sure! Eventually, you bring her close enough Sucy and Eveline so you only need to defend in one direction.

There are ten cultists in the room at this point! They are roaring among themselves in that guttural language, clearly planning on a strategy...

FEED FEED FEED
LET ME SHOW THESE FOOLS THE MEANING OF POWER! LET ME OUT!

Play defensively!
You can't let them get close to your friends! From one direction, you should be able to handle them for now... You hope.

Work to intimidate?
They're clearly very hesitant to attack for now... You need to play that up, somehow!

Other

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

The queen will still not harm your friends. She is considerably more feral than before, sure, but she still follows some of your rules
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 27, 2017, 01:38:33 pm »

Let loose the queen, These fools shall DIE.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 27, 2017, 01:41:07 pm »

FEED FEED FEED

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 27, 2017, 02:01:40 pm »

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 27, 2017, 03:51:23 pm »

Well they've demonstrated a lack of ranged weapons, we could try for doombolts enough to deal with the current group. A couple of doombolts into the priest would probably be a good plan regardless of what else we do, that guy just reeks of "going to be a problem later"... We could try raising a cultist(or a random corpse if there have been fatalities) and try for a human-sized fleshbang with whatever ambient souls we could grab put into overloading it. No doubt messy on a large fresh corpse, but should put anyone looking at it out of commission for long enough to insert the pointy end.

We could throw up a smokescreen and send our familiar in to attack anyone trying to get through. It might buy enough time to Stitch Sucy and load Yunikki onto our back. Putting up a smokescreen would probably combine well with a fleshbang between us and it.

Smoke would probably also combine well with Sucy's toys, if people don't know where not to step...

This village is somewhat... 'rustic'... so we can probably just bash through the wall, but there are likely more cultists out there and being surrounded would be bad.

We also need to save Meandra. She is our ticket into dwarftown afterall!
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 216