Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 186044 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #960 on: September 16, 2017, 12:44:40 am »

Also, Roseheart, Sydney hasn't used her bolas much at all due to the fact that we never quite got around to plopping down and just making the little shits. Not to mention, bolas don't have an excellent track record to begin with, and anytime you fight something that has non-human proportions it's likely to not work.
Still, she's is down to clown on the vermin-bolas, mostly for the puns.

Well there is the God of War answer: just make bigger chain-blades bolas. Did the lesbianism stuff keep up or is she bi?

I am thinking of doing a Forum Runner, you in?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:49:58 am by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: September 16, 2017, 12:20:29 pm »

Well there is the God of War answer: just make bigger chain-blades bolas. Did the lesbianism stuff keep up or is she bi?

She dated a boy, but she isn't really into romance, aromantic maybe? I think she might not even had sex, but that is not THAT important (till we stumble into another unicorn)
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: September 16, 2017, 02:53:39 pm »

She has yet to attain reproductive maturity, that is apparently marked by the first time she properly lays eggs. Of course, magical creature, so all the rules are out the window. I mean, I don't doubt that there are pseudo-species out there like dryads that probably reproduce by talking a tree into getting some exercise, or nymphs that are a stable distinct species with the same dimorphism as humans, except they don't have males... or sirens that probably reproduce by eating people or something. So yes, it is weird, but by human standards her humanesque components and mind are pretty much those of a 20-year-old human. But by drider standards she is still a child. But driders don't really have social standards and generally use those of their surroundings, in this instance, human... And then we have the readers' and author's standards, which, in this instance, I can only speak for my own views. Which roughly translate to "Romance: Nuke it from orbits, 'tis the only sure way!"...

Oh, and we may currently have a tie over what to do with the leatherworker's favour. Proposals include helmet, travel pack, and poison applier, with 1 vote each for the latter two.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: September 16, 2017, 04:51:54 pm »

Sydney has experimented both ways during those four years, but is ultimately asexual. A race that lives for a thousand years or more is probably best off not having that high of a sex drive. Of course, this did lead to the elves dying off. 
Also, she punched her V-card, if that matters to you. That's also probably the last time we'll mention just about anything outright sexual in this, as I find it generally unneeded to mention. In the middle of psychological exploration, grand battles or politics, we don't need to know how often characters boink, most of the time.
Also of note, driders start making eggs at the age of 14, but they need to be fertilized before than can be laid, and there's a relatively high death rate in the eggs themselves. driders age at about the same rate as humans, and they're considered adults at the same time, as well. This wouldn't be the case if driders had a culture of their own, but as it stands they're too spread out.

You decided to get that favor with the leather-worker done in the way of a poison-box, like the duck-man had made for you during the bandit period. It didn't take long before he followed on how it works, although he did warn you that you would have to replace the leather fairly often. He gave you some rejected patches that have no use for anything but activating your biological trigger for some poison. Even if the poison is largely ineffective, it still has value as a cooking ingredient. Plenty of protein in there, apparently...
When it comes to travelling companions, there aren't a whole lot of options available. Akko is going back to the far east, to apply her new knowledge there. There were some serious looking guards there to take her away, too... Apparently she's from a very well-off noble family, or the equivalent for that area. You honestly wouldn't be able to tell, considering her simple mannerisms. Although it would explain her excellent grasp of common, considering her mother tongue is Nipponese (You think that's the name she gave it?). Sucy, on the other hand, would be very interested to join your group. She doesn't have any place to return to, and she likes Eveline.
You kind of suspect she might be a bit of a bad influence, though. The kobolt you got to know didn't turn people into barn animals for shits and giggles. Still, it's mostly harmless, they all turned back in the end. Meandra doesn't particularly care about the extra food and transportation costs for one extra person, so it's all fine on that end.

You spent some time with the driders before leaving. They're rather sad about it, but they knew it was coming, of course. None of them will follow you, as the eldest wouldn't let them even if they wanted to. Apparently, they're such a tourist attraction, and the city is so large, that they can have adventures about every week or more, depending on reruns. You didn't fully understand, but the point is that wanderlust is considered a disease and that they tend to cure it by reminding themselves how annoying traveling can be. It looks like Sucy is the only one who is available for travel, as if right now. You also made a quick visit to the detective, to have some final chats. You didn't really keep up with him like you did with the driders, but you found it a good idea to have a man you know with the police force. Apart from a quick congratulations and a glass of cider, there wasn't much to be said. His duties keep him busy enough. He did warn you that stealing dwarf weaponry is generally not worth the hassle, and that he should know. He spent two years on the run for that pistol he has now, and he would rather have those years back. With a last "best wishes" he sends you on your way.

Richard had some final talks with Meandra, and they both agreed it would be best if they parted ways. Richard needs to serve as the new teacher here, and Meandra's apprenticeship is officially over as of her graduation. As an arch-mage, Richard will find another person to teach in time, but now he'll spend some time as a destruction teacher. That's just about everything, ultimately.
You hoist the travelbag you already had on your back, do some final stretches and stand before the carriage that will take you away from the tower and the city, back into the relative unknown...

Straight for the dwarven homes.
There's a fairly straight path, which is likely to be beset by some bandits or cultists, but nothing out of the ordinary. The faster you get there, the less trouble you'll encounter.

Detour for the village.
You will be passing by your own village if you take a fairly major detour. You suspect this will add quite a bit of time to the journey, but at least it's peace of mind. You might be able to see your father again!

Will you be taking Sucy?
She's a bit of an oddball... Are you sure you want to include her to your party?
This will make your party consist of
Sydney
Eveline
Yunikki
Meandra
Sucy

Also, Roseheart. I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline on the forum runner for now. School will be starting again soon, and I don't know exactly how available I'll be. Not to mention, I'll be outright unavailable for the upcoming Tuesday and Wednesday as I need to go on a forced two-day trip. My apologies.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #964 on: September 16, 2017, 04:59:59 pm »

I understand. *tips heart*
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: September 16, 2017, 05:38:12 pm »

Well we could really use a chat with our father. We need advice about our siblings, battle-babies, and a possible absent mother being used to mass-produce slaves... Hopefully the "Queen" situation has stabilised a bit, we could at least try to get him a somewhat impartial account of what exactly is going on, perhaps write an essay...

Ask Meandra of course, and remind her that your detours tend to be more time-consuming and horrible than distance and terrain would suggest... I believe that she has already seen our village, so it is not as though she will be enlightened as to the secret backstory of the resident drider. There is also the matter of it being next to gestation central, but if we are heading in that direction regardless, Corruption tends to spread afterall...

I think... For ourselves, we choose to detour past our village, but we are apprehensive about it and it is Meandra's party.

Sucy is probably good for Eveline. Even an evil friend is better than being totally obsessed with one person? Then again, travelling can be uncomfortable and demanding, it is a great breeding-ground for grudges and practical jokes tend to have their consequences exaggerated and their humour strained... Meh, voting for a half-hearted "bring her along to refresh the group-dynamic a little".
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: September 16, 2017, 11:45:04 pm »

Straight for the mountainhome. I seriously doubt that the village will bring back anything resembling happy memories.

Don't bring Sucy. My gut says no.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: September 16, 2017, 11:51:48 pm »

Straight for the mountainhome.

Do bring Sucy.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 17, 2017, 12:21:13 am »

Straight for the mountainhome. I seriously doubt that the village will bring back anything resembling happy memories.

Don't bring Sucy. My gut says no.
+1

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: September 17, 2017, 12:37:46 am »

Oh, but we really must check up on father. He probably stopped writing because of some guilt about what happened to us. Surely we can go back to our nice familiar inn, talk it out with our concerned and extremely present father who no doubt is just worried about our admittedly worrying insanity issues which in truth are not as bad as they look. See off our alive former neighbours and say goodby to the not-burned-down scenery!
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: September 17, 2017, 10:49:43 am »

Go visit your father
In character is good, it's what she would want.

BUUUT metagaming, R.A.M, you remember that in that small stories we got that the village got destroyed again and our dad became a psychopat right?

oh wait, after writing this i saw the almost tangible sarcasm in your wors

hmm, that will make the trip harder, she will be stressed, and i don't know what else will happen, maybe she will go cold-blooded to the dwarven city

Do bring sucy and do a little commentary, "plz we are on the field and transforming people in animals might kill us all, only do this on the enemy"

father route: 2 votes
straight: 3 votes

bring sucy: 3 votes (1 was half hearted)
don't bring this brat: 2 votes

Hmmm, it's not for sale those dwarven weapons? or you need tons of paperwork for them too?
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 17, 2017, 03:55:08 pm »

Sucy looks quite glad to be taken along for the ride. A little too glad, to be honest, she has oddly sharp teeth. You don't think she outright sharpened them or anything, but orthodontically she just has fairly sharp equipment. Her robe is all-concealing, but it clings to her figure. She keeps a few vials on her thighs, apparently, but you just don't know her well enough to know how she'd get to them. Compared to Eveline, she's far more aggressively oriented. Eveline knows a LOT about healing materials now, although her main strength mostly lies in "making do". Both of those together will make for a very dangerous combo indeed.
Let's hope just for your enemies. Eveline seems a bit more cynical than four years ago, although you suspect it's because she still hasn't found a way to fix your eye. It's all fine, of course. You have of the things left, although it's not the perfect vision you had before. You can manage, though.

Meandra's rather excited to have her join, however. Apparently Sucy's infamous throughout the school for the sorts of things she pulled off. She's responsible for some of the most spectacular stories over the last four years. The necromancy course is rather removes from most of the other courses, so you missed out on some of the stories. More specifically, you didn't know they all came from one person. Still, if the stories are true, she's an asset. But enough about her, the journey to the dwarven lands begins now. You take a final look around the place before entering the carriage to another adventure, and marking the end of a chapter in your life. Honestly, this should all be rather exciting! It's been too long since you had a change in locales.
You step into largest carriage, the only one that allows you to remain inside without much issue. You kept up your exercise throughout these four years, but you're still quite a bit larger than you were before. You haven't lost your figure, but on a whole you're just a little bit bigger. And a lot bigger in some areas. You had to look for new binders for combat situations, and find proper support was a nightmare. The drider sisters could help you out, at least. All this adds up to a bit of an awkward situation when it turns out you're sharing your carriage this time around.
With Sucy.

You should probably have a talk with her. She seems content to dream away a bit, but this is kind of a prime moment to get to know how. If nothing else, you should apologize for the fact that she's currently caged by two front legs and pedipalps, the latter of which are currently resting against her legs from lack of space.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:43:58 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 17, 2017, 07:48:13 pm »

Well, umm, we could talk about, umm. What do we have in common... Magic! She has her discipline and we have ours, a bit of curiosity in how others do similar things is natural, right? Ugh, it is sort of massively awkward, but if she is going to be stuck between our pedipalps, we probably ought to be honest about why they are hollow. But maybe not? I mean, she probably doesn't worry much about the sword we are carrying... but she will find out eventually, we are not going to e skulking about in secret just to feed ourselves... probably best to be upfront about it, but mix it in with a conversation about our weapons and abilities? Sort of suss out what our respective roles will be like on the journey?

Well we can talk about Eveline? Try to avoid gossip, but we can talk about how we first met! in a slavery den... where we blacked out and ate someone... and were promptly banished from the city... but her first action being to ride our spider-parts is slightly amusing... We could talk about how she cured- Ugh, we weren't even properly there, and no doubt there are plenty of second-hand accounts...

Talking about clothing would likely descend into a complaint about the lack of drider clothes or bragging about actually finding drider clothes... both a bit self-centred...

And I guess nobody wants to hear about all our personal grievances against the world in general, various cosmic powers, or the few instances when we did actually manage to avenge ourselves against our enemies... Not like us and Sucy can trade stories about our most glorious crushings of enemies...

P.S.
 It just now occurs to me that Sydney will likely find out about her hometown eventually, and it will probably feel worse if she hadn't ignored the chance to drop by while she was on holiday, and just abandoned them all, completely carelessly... Not that she can actually do anything at this point, nor that she ever reasonably could have, but the emotions, they do not care! Still, it would have been crazy-awkward to show up there and get all vengeancy when we have a place to be and would be delaying the whole trip over it...
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 17, 2017, 10:52:52 pm »

Only talk about the hollow legs stuff if she ask, she might already know because she is close to Eveline. Sydney get a bit stressed sometimes when talking about these stuff.

Begin apologizing, and just begin professional asking what are her strengths, just to make sure in case we have problems we don't accidentally make the fight harder to her by standing in front of her when she has a more aggressive approach that might get us killed or not standing in front of her when she prefers to have a meat shield to boost, then begin the chit-talk to something more okay when get the chance or let the silence and day-dreaming sink in
Novice english wordsmith

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 18, 2017, 03:29:21 pm »

...Sorry.
She's smiling calmly, and doesn't seem bothered at all by the current cage of legs that surrounds her. It's alright... More than alright, really. she says, as she pets a pedipalp with an odd fascination.
I, uh, wouldn't touch those too much. I use them to, uh... Well.-You drain blood with them, yes. Eveline told me all about you.
 She told me a lot about you, honestly. I assume you know she has a massive crush on you?

Well, obviously. She isn't the greatest at hiding secrets.
She snickers to herself, a grin clear across her face.
That's the short of it, yes. Oh, the things I know about her... ever heard one of her fantasies? One of her most dear fantasies is you picking her up, and-I'm going to stop you right there. I'm not going to ask how you know that, but I don't need to know what kind of fantasies the little munchkin has.
She sleeptalks.
The silence is nearly audible as she stares into your eyes, smugness radiating off of her. She seems quite pleased with herself.

Are you trying to mess with me?
I'm not. I'm succeeding. But I did want to know something about you. Tell me, how is it to drain blood?
...Why do you want to know that?
Vampirism's just a new biological need, right? Same way eating or sex feels good. How is blood for you? Does it feel good or is just like drinking?
It's... I... You puff a little as you try to come up with an answer. Eventually, however, you concede to her interested stare as she continues to pet your pedipalps. Yes. It feels fairly good, but I always feel awful right after. I don't like having this... addiction.
Probably didn't help the schizophrenia.
The what?
The "Queen", obviously. Vampirism tends to come with different types of insanity. Eveline's vampire had rampant narcissism and some obsessive compulsive disorder, you already had some schizophrenia. Probably didn't mix well.
I'm done talking about this.
You're no fun.
Drop it. You say as you come in closer, fangs bared and eyes squinted in a restrained bit of anger. She seems entirely undaunted. Her smug little smile and tired yet unblinking eyes never looking away.
I'm dropping it... Why did you invite me, anyway?

Well, knowing my luck, I suspected I would need some extra help, and Eveline suggested you. You didn't seem to mind.
It seemed very interesting. Not to mention I'm sure to discover some interesting new things. I'm especially interested in the mushrooms the dwarves have available. Things only get stranger the deeper underground you go, and the dwarves dug VERY deep. And, of course, I had nowhere else to go after the education. I was kind of chased out of my village for souring the milk and blighting the crops.
WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? you say, arms raised. You hit your knuckle on the roof of the carriage.
It started as an accident, but it was kinda funny after a while. I mean, it was nothing permanent... You could've put those lettuce-mushrooms on toast,
 no problem. Also, they deserved it and I didn't have a family anyhow.

I'm hoping you didn't kill them?
Oh, I never met them. The old bat that adopted me passed away a year before I was chased out... I loved Granny. She taught me everything I know.
I suspect she had some interesting morals.
I don't think she had any.
What a surprise.

Alright, final bits. Anything I should know about your combat style? Eveline just kinda did her thing, are you the same?
I'll yell for you to get out of the way on time. Also, you may want to practice your breath-holding, I use a bit more gas than the kobolt.
Noted.
Suddenly, the cart comes to a very sudden stop. Sudden enough to launch you forward against Sucy, although you quickly recover. Sucy looks... a little bit more gone from this world, but otherwise fine. You both silently step out, and Meandra shows you the road with an exaggerated gesture.
To call it a road would be a massive act of goodwill. It's more of a long patch of dirt where there's less grass and similar vegetation. You're still going to travel through quite a bit of jungle, and you can already tell it's not going to be that fun.

Take point
You will take the front, letting the squishy people hang back. Yunikki will protect them.

Backside defence
Yunikki will take the front, while you defend the mages and alchemists.

Something else?
Any party composition is fine, really.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Sadly, I'm going to be gone for two days. There's a possibility i'll already be able to update on Wednesday, but even that's not guaranteed. I just don't have computer access to where I'm going, or at least I think so.
I'm honestly kind of miffed about the whole thing because it's going to be a massive waste of my god-damn time.
Neat stuff I do:
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 216