Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 186019 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #930 on: September 08, 2017, 05:08:34 pm »

It was an odd sight, although some would consider it haunting, in a way. A drider covered in lanterns, chasing a group of hunters as they take down all manner of prey. The flames turn brighter, and discolor into a pleasing purple as the souls are placed into it. The hunters did not care overmuch about for your necromancy, but they deemed it no problem for you to just follow them and take up the soul afterwards. Although they made it quite clear that they only allow it because of your academic achievement in proving that all souls pass on into the afterlife, or whatever it is that follows after death. Was that not the case, they might have tried punching you for even suggesting it. Either way, here you are, collecting batteries for a school project. It's exhausting to say the least. The hunting party keeps a brisk pace, and you're expected to keep distance so the lanterns don't tip off the wildlife. You've already had to defend yourself a couple of times against a Rough-hide, and the whole thing is starting to take its toll.
You're quite glad when your final lantern has changed color, so you can finally return home and...
Rest. Just rest. You're drop-dead tired, and you haven't even gotten anything done on the golem yet!

Sadly, it shows on the quality of your work. You don't quite meet your intended quota of finishing up the first walking arm in the usual four hours, and the two extra hours the lanterns grant you (You hunted for three hours!) only allow you to get a tiny bit of work done on the central body. At least Atsuko's on schedule, in a day or two she'll be finished with the massive spine neccecary to keep such a war machine aloft. She even started working on the face in her free time, mostly as an art project. Considering the mixed nature of the golem, you'll probably have to use a classic control mechanism, anyhow. Something made of clay. If it was a homogenous type, you wouldn't need to leave in such a clear weak spot, but so is life. The power of the mixed golem more than makes up for it, and it's nice to have a failsafe of sorts.
While hunting is not only a rather exhausting way of gathering batteries, you also can't do it a lot. The town only needs so much meat, after all. Hunting for monkey's like you did for the meat is also just not feasible with the lanterns on you...
The walk to the main city takes up about quarter of an hour, and reaching a butcher may take longer still, not to mention the return trip. It's unlikely to be better than the hunting, considering that it's also quite likely that the city is using the souls. It's not a necromancy-only thing to use the deaths of something as an extra energy source, and your research paper only furthered that power source.
You're quite glad about the high marks and all, but you did not count on it hindering your final exam so much.

Continue the current way of working.
You'll only get batteries every two days, and it's exhausting, but if it works, it works.

Let Akko do the magical lifting
As long as you're here to supervise, things should end up fine, right? Of course, that might cause a little resentment from her. Nobody likes it when somebody looks at their fingers to tell them where they're wrong.

Double down on the physical work.
Bind stuff up with silk, get some sticky stuff. You'll end up working far more hours, but Akko won't be nearly as annoyed when you ask her to do the heavy lifting. Of course, you may end up frustrated and tired of this quite easily...

Other?

Beastiary
Roughhide

A foul-tempered herbivore common to the jungle. They are wellknown for their tough and barbed hide, that deteriorates so rapidly upon death that it cannot be used as a material. Add to that that the meat is tasteless and without nutrition, and they are considering one of the most useless creatures in existence. Their horns are directly attached to their skull without any extra padding. So the moody way of living guarantees the creatures don't live long before ending up with minor brain damage. The only thing they seem to be good at is breeding.
Exterminations are underway, but prove difficult as the creature is more skin than valuable organs.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: September 08, 2017, 05:45:17 pm »

Hmmm

Every 2 days we hunt for souls and go back in the magical uplifting

The days in beetween we could do a mix of the two others options, work a bit harder and personally guiding Akko's fingers on the more delicate stuff

WAIT

Mutterstew. It's the most complicated thing here, but it refills a mage's mana by a heck of lot. You start by taking a bottle of your poison, pouring into a special pot and putting it in the oven to boil. This will prevent it from actually poisoning someone. You can peel the vegetables while it works.

Can we do it yet even with our new eggsack poison? Ask the cookbook. Somewhere in the city sell it? Can we buy venom from the spa sisters? Or even teach them when they find the idea of selling their venom weird. They will surely profit a lot learning how to make Mutterstew to sell to the students.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 08, 2017, 06:26:26 pm »

AAARGH!!! I was thinking of mutterstew only about, umm, a dozen-or-so updates ago?. And Checking the cookbook for an actual recipe would be nice, see if it knows about mutterstew, or if it knows of something similar under a different name.

I think it more important to have our head on straight than working another hour a day. Akko seems very tolerant, and could probably use a bit of a subtle lesson in people being demanding, but we should have the skills to get more physical if we want. Strong sticky string is about what you need to hold a skeleton together afterall.

Oh hey, just thought, there are a bunch of slave-driders owned by criminal underworld types that are very illegal. Maybe the police have confiscated some? That is if we are in need of venom from our own variety of drider prior to mutation in order to make mutterstew... And it is way too late to start getting uncomfortable about harvesting and eating other people's venom after making it our own signature dish for years...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:27:27 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 09, 2017, 05:49:25 pm »

So is there a reason you're cooking? I mean, it's a bit early for lunch.
You ever hear of mutterstew? It was a specialty of mine. Completely restores your mana when you eat it.
...You mean Karisumini? We can only get that from some rare animals, and it's considered such a delicacy some of our restaurants have you pay just to SEE it.
That's messed up, but nah. The only rare ingredient here is my poison.
Ah, so before it kills you, you at least get to enjoy casting some final lights. Very useful. Akko says with a sarcastic tone. She doesn't do that a lot, which is good considering that she's infuriating when she does so. It's odd how somebody can simultaneously be the most wonderful and most infuriating person at the same time. She started doing that a lot more after the Erika incident, trying to get a rise out of people. She's strangely good at it.
It loses its sting when it's been cooked, and I'll have you know it's delicious. I just need to know if it all still works with my poison being the way it is.
I'm not testing it. Sucy's bad enough!
Oh shush, you like her.
...I do. She's funny in her own way.

The stew is ready after a short moment. You had to change the ingredients up a bit. Cows and pigs aren't quite the same in this country, and the vegetables are a nightmare to figure out. Still, after four years, you've figured it out for the most part. The smell is good, if nothing else, and the texture is fine as well. The color is the only thing that's a little off, but it's something you can easily overlook. The comforting blanket of nostalgia is all-encompassing while you made this home dish, and now that you can finally eat it you're honestly quite glad. You end up giving Akko a plate after she smelled the pot a little, and she is happily digging in. You smile to yourself as you take a first bite yourself.
You wake up about five minutes later to Akko waving her hand in front of you. You zoned out for a while, apparently. She was too engrossed in her own meal to pay attention to it. As for you, you were just thinking of the Inn, the village, your father... All things you've lost.
Nostalgia's a double-sided sword, you mutter to yourself as you wipe away the tears.

Still, you do get FAR more work done after the meal. Although you really can't do this every day, you still increased the speed by a LOT. You can finish this monster up on time, if you put in a little extra work with the webbing to help guide Akko's hand. She's actually quite decent with enough practice. Once she did it enough times she always manages, but she has a tendency to get distracted. Thanks to the extra speed, you've got about two days left when the creature's almost finished. All that's left is putting in the skeletons and the ribcage, which can be done in an afternoon.
If you want to add some final touches to the creature, now would be the time. Currently, the face that controls the locomotion of the creature is going to be a clay human skull, without jaw. The creature will look to be made mostly of visible muscle, with the occasional bit of bone sticking out.
Not to mention, should you animate it right now? It will have more control when the examination is here, but it gives it more time to potentially go wrong. The intelligence of the two skeletons can't be ignored, especially considering it's made to patch itself up.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: September 09, 2017, 06:48:14 pm »

Akko is good at the handwork right? Let her decorate it to look more, magesticl? Something that people would mind less if it were guarding the entrance of a town. But still shouldn't look furry, it's a war machine, maybe she could cover the weirdest parts with clay.

Casters can do magic without the hands free? Or just us? Give them maybe some weak wooden weapons, shield and sword to the front caster and a spear to the rider (or bow?). In the exam hour we can put our own gardener shield in their hands to make it more nice. If we can trust 100% the golem already

How much control she can have with the heads? Can we train it to make reverence or some silly trick? It would be very nice to see it leaning and looking straight in the eyes of somebody. Ask it to be less self suficient only doing the asked magic until we give a keyword of "break havoc in them"?

Can we "shut down" without exploding it?

Web it heavily before raising it, Or after we finish working and we are going to rest, to make less likely it will run away while we sleep.

Raise first the body of centaur, guarantees it is in our control and then raise the skeletons. This way at least we can make the body keep the skeletons out of trouble before Akko get's them obeying properly.

Not for now:

We should keep in mind of making some spare bolas after the exam. Using undead critters to do this would be nice, throw bola, raise the critters and when he cuts the rope the critters begin chewing on his arms.
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: September 09, 2017, 07:14:22 pm »

And if we use moles, then they can be named "Molars"!

Can we get an early night before the exam and animate it in the morning with time to spare to get some control practise? It'd probably be best not to risk something happening while asleep... Also it mught be an idea to do some control drills on something simpler, like a skull on a femur or something. We could try to put some wood or leather on the front for armouring, or even just some cloth. Actually, making a simple outfit for it might add a little something. A dark cloak for the rider and a cap, cape, and tunic for the centaur with a simple dome-dress hanging over its body with slits for the torsos and legs to extend out of without Maybe we could tie-dye it to give it a mysterious vibe. Ehh, the examiners will want to look at its muscles, clothes will probably irritate them...

Clay cosmetics do sound like a good idea, I guess that I will agree with that then.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 09, 2017, 09:33:31 pm »

The capes in the front centaur might make the rider's work harder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But a cloak on the rider is fine, something easy to remove, we do the mysterious entrance, and then remove the clothes "hey, we just wanted to make it better looking as appearances are important even in the heat of battle, but we know that you need to see the golem not the ornaments" maybe a quiver in the front centaur just to show it can hold weapons normally and even act as a extra stock of arrows to the rider behind it. "We all know that mana can end, he must have something else to use in the fight, that's why we put these wooden weapons, Just to show and make sure it can still use them."

And the idea of waking up early is okay, as i remember who has problem with control is Akko, we still might still wanna raise the corpse to see if the movement is smooth and whatever we can do to make it better.

And, about the hand, she put two middle fingers right? If she can at least keep it symmetric it's perfect
Novice english wordsmith

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 10, 2017, 05:26:36 pm »

Alright, so we're... Akko trails of a little bit before yawning. She's not used to waking up early, that's for sure. We're gonna raise it early, n' see if it holds up?
You just nod, and start gathering up the necessary energies. This will take up just about half your mana, and Akko is the one who needs to raise the skeletons. It's a proper beast, to say the least. You most certainly wouldn't want to be the one fighting it. You managed to make a sort of cloak for it out of an old bed-sheet. It was covered in blood, and you never quite managed to wash it out. At least it wasn't your blood, which was the silver lining. The cloak makes the creature look almost like a centaur, as it hides a lot of a the ugly exposed flesh on the lower side. Bone is more aesthetically pleasing, so it helps to hide at least some of the flesh. Although aesthetic isn't much of a deciding factor in the grades. Adding a couple of weapons wasn't that hard. You just nailed it in there, and the skeleton took to it quite easily. The problem is, of course, it's a bit too high up to properly use a sword. You ended up giving it a broom handle as an improvised spear, but it still has some trouble using it. A little too much weight, you suppose. Skeletons aren't too strong without magical assistance, and their independence is the selling point. It would lose a bit of spark if there was some additional strength.
Bow and arrow has considerably more success, especially from the one in the back. You figure a crossbow would be even better, but considering none of these weapons would actually work, it doesn't really matter.

The exam is the first thing in the morning, just after the sun ceased it's kiss with the land it emerged from. ('BOUT NINE BONG IN THE MORNIN'!)
All the golems stand outside, and yours dwarfs them all. There are only two mixed golems here, the other one belonging to Polifia Adams, the leader of the clique that bullied Erika. She became a lot more reclusive after the incident, and is the only one to not have a partner. Her golem looks like a mostly ordinary humanoid, but considering the quality of her work (when she isn't high as a kite) there's probably more to it than that. The golem just looks like a large man, stitched together and yellowish. The increase in size is clearly just to make it easier on herself when she built a man from the ground up. Not an easy task, in and of itself.
The other golems are simpler. Mahirma and Lars built up a bone turtle, and a hole for a man to hide in, you suppose. Defensively solid, and that jaw looks like it could chew a tree in half. Geoffrey and Connie made a flesh golem, a spider from the look of things. They twisted the muscle like ropes to make it tougher, which is actually pretty cool, though you suspect that had to find a different way to make the thing move. Perhaps it works on hydraulics, though you'll have to wait and see. The examinators are arriving. Your main teacher is here, along with the headmaster, a member of the Blighted Beak and one last orc that you don't recognize.
The stranger is the first to speak to you all, with a voice seemingly made for presentation. He stands tall, like most orcs, but actually managed to pack on some muscle, as well.

Alright, bonesmiths! You have had two weeks to create your very own golem, and now we will put them through a series of rigorous tests. We will test them on strength, toughness and speed, respectively. I am Bulerim Harkunosto, the siegemaster, and will place the final design in a battlefield situation. Now, let us begin. Geoffrey Caerbannog and Connie De Maio, step forward with your golem, please.
They both step forward, Geoffrey with considerably more confidence, leaving Connie to nervously shuffle next to him.
MY FINE STUDENTS! The headmaster bellows in his signature way. I SEE YOU HAVE BROUGHT A FLESH GOLEM BEFORE US, BUT WITH A MOST PECULIAR DESIGN INDEED! A SPIDER, BASED ON THE INFAMOUS BLACK ARACHNIA, PERHAPS?
A-actually Connie says, shuffling in place. We kind of based it on... Uh... O-our classm-mate. Her voice trails in in embarrassment as she glances back to you. You're actually kind of flattered that they'd base something on you.
A fine inspiration, no need to be ashamed. Now, Explain to all of us how your golem works.
They give a detailed explanation of how they use hydraulics and rope-like muscle twisting to create a golem that is as flexible as it is tough. The original plan was to make an outright drider, but they ran out of flesh and didn't have the time to gather more, not to mention the logistics on making it work. They decided to create a normal spider, to make up for it, using powerful clamps at the front, and hooks on the inside of the legs to subdue prey.
The tests were about as to be expected. The professor raised a small horde of monkeys, to see how effective the golem is. This test will change depending on the type of creature, as something that works on sharp hooks can't quite be tested with just the force behind a tackle.

The spider is quite effective against flesh, but it's quite clunky. The fact that it needs to step over what it needs to kill, and the "mouth" not having anything in the way of tearing or gripping, meaning all it can do hold something in place. It wouldn't work that well for combat, you suspect, but quite well for a distraction. The toughness test was... Abrupt.
Before siegemaster even finished explaining, the headmaster had already leaped forward and punched the golem in it's "mouth". It shuddered and fell, and a dent was clearly made, but it still managed to pull itself upright. The headmaster then said that he's pleasantly surprised at how well the creature absorbs shocks. The flexibility is a plus, that much is clear. The speed test was rather boring, just a hundred yard dash. The spider cleared it in a decent time, not quite as fast as a creature of its size should. You could easily outrun it. All in all, they were quite pleased, and got an 80 percent for their flesh-twist technique.

The next two are Mahirma and Lars, two underachievers. The turtle was... Boring. Nothing really happened of note. It did very well on the strength test, managing to uproot a tree as an example. The toughness test was lacklustre. The punch from the headmaster managed to pulverise the part he hit, and he noted it was too hard to properly take blunt blows. Still, an edged weapon would have trouble. Speed was abysmal, as to be expected of a turtle. The results would have gotten them a failed grade, if it wasn't for the fact they though to include the room for something to hide in, and a system that grabs them. When it comes to saving the wounded, the turtle does a very fine job. It ended up giving them a passing grade.

Polifia's golem proved to be... interesting. It got the undead monkeys, like the spider, and then it proved to be as interesting as you suspected. The flesh bubbled and morphed, and almost instantly a collection of tentacles burst from the surface, grabbing the unfortunate victims. Some are crushed outright, while others are brought to the massive, strong hands of the main golem. It has perfect control, and even has a range of expressions. On the toughness test, it did surprisingly well. It managed to dodge the first punch, for one, and braced itself for the second. It was sent flying, but was left relatively unharmed. It landed nicely, as well. The speed test was quite good as well, the creature ran like an experienced sprinter, and launched itself using the tentacles that came out. She was granted a ninety percent total.

Then came your golem.
Boy was that explanation fun. Proving that the skeletons could resurrect creatures was a bit of a hassle, considering they weren't really giving your creation a chance at first. Their eyes just about popped out of their head when they saw that it instantly proceeded to add the resurrected creatures to its mass. With that in mind, the strength testing took a bit of a weird bent. You also got the monkeys, and the golem had a little trouble at first, until it managed to use both the upper arms and the ones in the front that it was using to walk. It takes a little doing, but it eventually managed to twist the monkey's head off. And then it instantly added it to the mass, which is kind of unnerving you as well. in an increasingly faster manner, it completely ends up taking over the monkeys. It looks a bit... bigger, than before. The ribs that protect the upper rider have been strengthened by some flesh, considering it doesn't need to see from there, it only helps.
The headmaster's punch makes a fist-shaped hole in the creature. Which would be really bad, if it wasn't for the fact that it regenerated it from the absorbed monkey meat. You didn't even realize the regenerative aspect by making it patch itself up all the time. This could spiral out of control, actually.
The speed test was nothing to write home about. It just isn't that fast, all things considered, and it still moves about a little clumsily, even with the practice from this morning.
You ended up getting a 95, and were also told to never EVER make this outside of this particular exam. The potential to spiral out of control, especially in a battlefield situation where corpses are easily available, has been taken into account. Akko's been placed on a watchlist, even!
However, that's not the end of the exams.

As a way of deciding the best golem in class, and for a bit of fun, they will all be pitted against eachother in a large arena in a few hours. People are allowed to make some final adjustments before sending them into the fray.
Make some final adjustments. You are allowed to add weaponry, but you need to get it fast.

Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 10, 2017, 08:18:08 pm »

The spider is probably not too much of a threat, it has a difficult time attacking and that is one of the reasons we gave it hands, so that it could grab things that approached its base.
The turtle is either going to bite or not bite. Adding enough agility to dodge appreciably more is unlikely to happen as is toughness. Probably best to work on the spear to outrange it.
Tentacles are a worry. We do have lots of limbs with which to individually battle lots of tentacles though. Again, outranging it would be nice, but we could also try some spikes and daggers.

Proposals:
- Work some of the bone and muscle mass into the spearman's arms and spine to give it decent force behind a decent spear.
- Morph some of the extremities into blades. Ideally serrated blades to sever tentacles in the motions of a struggle.
- Arm the rear rider with a machete for tentacle clearance. And give daggers to the rear pair of "legs" for lower tentacle clearance and to try to ward off spiders from behind.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: September 10, 2017, 09:20:59 pm »

Make akkos try to work her control to make the creature to heal itself but not to make it any bigger UNLESS given permission (We might give it permission when facing the golem), she is pretty decent when repeating something, she must practice control right now. It should be okay for them to store a bit of extra mass inside for later healing.

Is our friends seeing our exam? We could ask them to grab our sword (and give it to the rear rider, i don't think it will make much difference) and ask if Yukinni has some extra  expendable weaponry (unless we know that she won't help necromancy no way cause of the god)

If not, at least we can make our little familiar dragon to go fast catching the sword and sending the message to our friends while we mutate the creatures.

At least we robed the monkey's mass to our project and we will not need to hunt for materials hehehe

And give daggers to the rear pair of "legs" for lower tentacle clearance and to try to ward off spiders from behind.

Daggers? legs? Isn't the rear riders fused with the creature? Or you are talking to put a little spikes or laminated ends to the feet?

hmm we could make the back of the rear feet of the creature spiky/laminated, and then it can kicks from behind and cut them.

The turtle is weak for blunt attack, yes, spear is nice but just make the spear attack it's face to distract it when the horse "STEP" it to death.
-bite spear
-before it opens it's jaw again it will be already being trampled and being absorbed

Nothing to add in the spiders situation, it need to step us, and we have plenty of hands to stop it.

The tentacles will test to the end the capacities of the skeletons to patch itself up with the parts of the tentacles, they will rip off our parts and we will "eat" his parts, it will be a fun fight full brutality vs regeneration.

If we still got spare time after doing all above, see if there is an easy fix in making it walk better.
Novice english wordsmith

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #940 on: September 11, 2017, 12:05:54 am »

(Random drop-question... does she still use her crafted bolas?)
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 11, 2017, 03:45:32 pm »

I never made bone weapons before, get off my back!
How did you not make any, you did the same tests as we did!
I made cutlery!
Who would ever eat with bone cutlery!?
I kept them.
That's disgusting! You get a scooping of old man dust every time you use it!
But they're cheap and easy in the hand!
So is a normal fork! Now shut up and try to make that machete!
Out of what!?
Monkey bones!
You're currently on top of your creation, trying to get some of that flesh attached to the front rider; The ribcage will prevent most of the effective spearwork, but it can still stab down. You brought the broom handle, you just had to sharpen a bit of bone manually to make it a spear. Muscle is all he needs.
The problem is, of course, that the skeleton isn't really part of the golem, at least in the case of different energies. You needed to cut at some of the muscles to make this possible, but they didn't seem exceptionally needed.
Fortunately, Atsuko figured out how to make a proper blade, even if it is just an over-sized butter-knife with an extra edge.

While usually, you would find an extensive fight sequence here, the writer is currently working under a bit of a time problem and will only be able to give that fight sequence tomorrow.
It's for the best, I'm actually pretty tired right now.

Also, Roseheart, Sydney hasn't used her bolas much at all due to the fact that we never quite got around to plopping down and just making the little shits. Not to mention, bolas don't have an excellent track record to begin with, and anytime you fight something that has non-human proportions it's likely to not work.
Still, she's is down to clown on the vermin-bolas, mostly for the puns.
Neat stuff I do:

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 11, 2017, 07:40:12 pm »

That's okay. Hmmm, can we still suggest a little thing?

Our silk can hold our eggvenom? Can we soak the silk in it? Put it around all the blades and fingers.

Let's see the tentacles deal with little spiders inside him.
Novice english wordsmith

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 11, 2017, 08:10:08 pm »

That's okay. Hmmm, can we still suggest a little thing?

Our silk can hold our eggvenom? Can we soak the silk in it? Put it around all the blades and fingers.

Let's see the tentacles deal with little spiders inside him.
We don't have egg venom yet, we have nonleathal venom we can eventually make INTO egg venom.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 12, 2017, 03:36:39 pm »

You have to hand it to the siegemaster, he can make one hell of an arena in a very short amount of time. Evidently, he's a very capable user of earth magic (Lapisomancy, if you want to use the official term, but it sounds fairly girly for something so manly). In short, it's just a very deep hole with plenty of walls. Most of it is made from simple dirt, so it won't exactly stop the creatures from plowing through, but it blocks vision. You have an overlook of the whole arena from where you're standing, and the golems are ready in their own starting locations. they're spread out fairly evenly, and the walls make it hard for them to see eachother right away. There are multiple open areas inbetween the maze of walls, most likely to allow for larger battles to take place.
The starting signal echoes through the arena, and the golems lumber forward. Yours was placed in the middle, while the others were placed at the corners. The bone turtle is surprisingly quiet with it's steps, as the weight is very well spread over the wide feet. It's similar to elephants, who are unfairly quiet in their footsteps. It's in very clear contrast to your golem, who scrapes against the walls, and has his uneven handfalls are clearly audible. The humanoid one made by Polifia is actively trying to remain quiet, with limited success. It's just a little bit too heavy to do so perfectly. The spider has the same problem as your golem, uneven footfalls and size working against it. As a result, it doesn't take long before the first fight breaks out between the spider and the turtle.

It barely even constitutes as a fight, ultimately. Both opponents can barely harm eachother, the turtle is too slow to bite or crush his opponent, and the spider just doesn't have the power needed to crack the tough bone. After a short struggle, the spider crawls on top of the turtle and slams down it's meaty feet repeatedly. Apart from creating the concept of a drum solo for the continent, it doesn't do much at all for the longest time. However, it DOES lead to your golem finding the pair, even with the walls in the way. In fact, that wall hardly even matters at all.
The entry of your golem is dynamic, to say the least, as it crumbles the wall with surprising ease. It's clever enough to pull it down from the top and using its mass to burst through the damaged wall. The enemy golems don't waste any time, however, and the spider walks off the turtle. Unfortunately for the spider, it wasn't paying attention where it placed its feet, and the turtle rushes forth with its gaping maw and clamps on the toughened leg. After the tiniest little struggle, the leg get snipped off where the turtle bit down, causing the golem to squirm and fall. Just the distraction your golem needed to grab the spider's clamping bit with the upper arms, while holding down the front legs of the spider with it's own front "legs". The skeleton sticks the spear where the eyes aught to be of the spider, which doesn't even pierce through the twisted flesh.
It did grant leverage, however.

With a mighty heavy, the clamps are first broken, and then torn off. The skeleton wiggles its hands a little bit, before the golem rams the pieces of flesh inside itself. Considering the flesh of the spider is fairly dense, you can be sure it will help your golem. The spider manages to wiggle itself free shortly thereafter, but the turtle wasn't just standing still in the meantime. It bites off another carelessly placed leg, leaving the spider unable to properly walk. It is beset on both sides, with your golem tearing any part that sticks out off and adding it to the mass. It's visibly growing, and every torn limb causes it to blood the fluid it needs to move. After the fifth limb, it has lost all motor function. Both golems quickly realize it, and turn to eachother. In a shocking show of intelligence, your golem shoves the massive husk of the spider into the maw of the turtle. more than it can chew, and before it can maneuver itself out of there, your golem already climbs over the spider husk and ends up on top of the turtle.
From there, there is very little the turtle can do, but your golem doesn't have the strength to crack the tough bone shell.

After another surprisingly boring minute, your golem figures it out. It goes to the back and...
Flips the turtle over. The turtle is essentially hollow, after all, so the weight isn't an issue for your golem. As it struggles on the back, the back skeleton throws his simple machete (butterknife) on the ground, and the golem picks it up the thumb and pointing finger. Then, with nothing but perserverance, it starts cutting at the spider to add more and more mass to itself. You wonder where Polifia's golem is, considering it's been quite a while.
Then, suddenly, your wondering ends. Tentacles spill through the hole and almost instantly pierce your golem's flesh. More and more of the fleshy pieces of work fly in, and tear themselves out of your golem. Rapidly, the flesh is torn apart, and the front skeleton torn to pieces as the tentacles move between the ribs. Your golem charges, but it doesn't help against the organic ropes of terror. Eventually, the upper part is blasted apart, sending the back skeleton flying away.
As it turns out, it was an excellent idea to place the actual controlling part at the bottom. Polifia's golem steps out from behind to wall to oversee the wreckage it had made if your creature. That's all that was needed for your golem to rush forward and slam it against a wall. The wall nearly collapses at the shock, as the humanoid golem wrestles with the flailing mass of limbs against him. Unfortunately, you weren't the only one who though to arm his golem. You hadn't even seen it, but as the limb goes flying you see that Polifia gave her golem a proper, massive machete. You groan as the tentacles and the blade quickly tear your golem to ribbons.
The match is about to be called as the massive yellow fist of Polifia's golem breaks the clay skull, until suddenly the skeleton in the back end waves it's arms around and seems to chatter its skull. Polifia's golem moves around like a puppet on badly controlled strings, and stumbles towards the skeleton. Once close enough, the skeleton makes the humanoid thing give it a piggyback ride.

The skeleton rides it around for a while, and Polifia is looking at it in disgust as the teachers look to eachother. Who the hell won in this situation? Technically, it's not the golem that won, but the skeleton was part of a golem. You also notice that the skeleton is holding out two middle fingers and appears to be laughing to itself.
You do not like this skeleton
Its smug aura mocks you.
Eventually, the winner is Polifia's golem, although they have no idea how they're going to convince that skeleton to stop laughing and controlling it.
Atsuko retro-actively got a higher grade, at least.

The graduation ceremony is up next. Make your choice on how you're going to make your appearance, and perhaps try to think of a speech, perhaps.
After this you will also choose where to go next in your life. There are plenty of options, and I will list them after the ceremony.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:12:10 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 216