Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185991 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #855 on: August 14, 2017, 11:37:20 am »

I'm slightly confused.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 14, 2017, 03:21:24 pm »

That was the intention, yes. Here's the actual update

The first win

It was almost too easy, ultimately. "Spider" was a freelancer they hired for a cut of the take. Alibert's wounds weren't even fully healed when he managed to find him. He walked with an even worse limp, and his jaw is wired shut to allow it to heal. But that's fine, he's not a talkative sort either way. Finding him after such a big job wasn't as easy as asking where he was at the bar, but it was easy to discover what wretch suddenly has money to spend and goods to pawn. Alibert found him in the brothel, being cared for by an ugly whore. She was forced to fawn over the man, as he sipped his sweetened wine and laid back in a comfortable chair. With his wounds bandaged, and his helmet covering his face, Alibert won't be recognized. Of course, he couldn't just get the guard and let them sort it out. A fair trial would only take longer, and get him no closer to the rest. He needed names, total number, hideout...

It took hours before Spider left, drunk and satisfied. He stumbled towards the poor district, most likely to continue his pawning of stolen goods. Alibert followed. The wretch was too drunk to even take notice of the armored man following him. He did his best to blend in with some of the crowds, what little there are at this hour. Eventually, Alibert and the drunkard were the only ones left in a dilapidated street, fit only for the lowest of society, and just one street away from the control hub of illegal activity. Spider would never reach that place. He hardly even noticed the hook entering his flesh, until it pulled him backwards and on the ground. He cried out, but nobody heard. The rope of the hook is quickly tied around his neck, and tightened. He could not breathe, and the blood would not reach his head. He fainted in less than a minute. Alibert removed his shoes, and rammed one of his socks in his mouth before he awakens again. It takes a lot of effort from his healing body, but Alibert manages to lift him over his shoulder and take him to the place he prepared.

It was a good guess on his part, that the basement would now be abandoned. The punks that troubled his daughter couldn't squat here forever, and they were evicted a short while ago, guessing from the dust. Going from the poor district to the rich was no easy task, especially with a body, but the little sneaking routes and use of the sewers (a safer part, controlled by ratlings that care little for the acts of humans), he was there in no time at all. He had already prepared the wheel two days beforehand. It was an old wagon wheel, which he personally modified as his leg healed to bear spikes of any kind. Most of it was metal fragments collected from the smith. Wasted metal, too small and low-quality to be of use, but just enough to make the wheel that much worse. The small pole upon which it rests was a greater conundrum, but he had a day to carve the hole in the floor. After all, what else was there to do? He was too weak to go after his targets properly.

Spider had been awake for a while, but the ropes were strong and the sock did its work. He could do little. Now that he has been bound to the wheel, and they are below ground, he can scream to his hearts content. He demanded to know what the meaning of this was. Alibert just needed to remove his mask before he caught on. He took to bargaining quite fast, which only sped up as he noticed the club Alibert was holding. Before he started, he shoved a paper in his face.
Associates?
It took a while before Spider understood, but soon enough he started singing. He didn't know a whole lot, of course. People don't talk to the freelancer. But at least Alibert now had a more complete list of his targets. He took great care to pen down the nicknames, leaving spaces for their real name. Spider kept on talking and talking, showing just how much of a coward he was. At this point, he was just prattling on, mostly trying to defend himself as a man who was in need of the money, and didn't mean to hurt anybody.
Alibert just snorts, and raises the club over his head.

There are a few nuances to beating a man. If he could talk Alibert would have explained it to him. You don't stop on contact. The intention should be to drive the stick through the victim, not on them. Not to mention, hit them at an angle, and the bones break easier. All little things.
Spider had lost his ability to scream a while ago, after the fifth strike against his ribs. He was choking to death, of course. At this point he most likely welcomes it. But it was still slow, and Alibert watched every minute of it as he choked on his own blood. Eventually, The wretch's eyes go glassy as he stops twitching. Behind the mask, Alibert's expression was unchanging. This was the first of twelve. They had lost seven in the attack itself, but after that it became easy.
Tragically, he would have to wander to the next town, meaning that they may spread even further. It will not save them, it will merely extend their time.
He crossed off the first name, and took the first tooth. He placed it in a small pouch.
He will not forget this, even when it is over.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:31:22 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 14, 2017, 05:51:08 pm »

Ugh, it is always the way with these movies. The "spider guy" "gets it" first. Well, okay, first its the young couple doing naughty things, but that happens during the intro so it doesn't count, but then it is straight onto the racism, first the spider, then the dwarf, then the elf... until just the two perfect humans remain. Why does the world hate spiders so much...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 15, 2017, 04:26:00 pm »

So the plan is clear, right? We sneak inside, grab the tarts, get out. Atsuko says.
S-sure, but why are w-we doing this? Erika asks, timid as always. Although that didn't stop her from showing up, regardless.
Didn't you listen!? These snobby bastards think they can just shun us and not invite us, well, then we're going in and stealing their pies!
But we all hate each-other! I would have hated an invitation, and you would have too!
Yeah, I woulda, but it's the principle of the thing. Today, we strike back!
But what if they report us?
As if the guards will do anything about stolen pastries! Have you HEARD their mockery about sweetrolls?
...No?
That's cuz you don't talk to anybody. Now come on, we can make a go for it in just a little bit.

I thought you two hated those people? a contralto voice suddenly says behind the two girls. Atsuko jumps in surprise, flailing her arms in vague combat poses at the new potential threat. Erika just fell on her behind as she turned around, making only a small "eep". However, they quickly calm down when they see the owner of the voice is just Sydney. While she is still very intimidating with all her scars, a whole spider for legs and how she looks like she could kill you with her bare hands if she so desired, she's been very friendly. In fact, she's one of the few people Erika can reliably call a friend. Atsuko considers her to be a friend too, of course, especially after the daring rescue she did. While it was a horrible situation, and Sydney did end up with a small breathing problem because of it, Atsuko didn't let it get to her. There's better thing to to worry about. In a way, it was even kind of exciting!
Geez, Webby. You're going to give somebody a heart attack like that. You DO know we can't hear you coming, right?
Nevermind that, what's going on here?
W-w-we... uh... W-we were g-going to- uh, Akko here wanted to s-steal some pastries from the party.
And you just went along with it?
Erika just glances away. She doesn't really want to admit that she's hardly against stealing these people's stuff. And that Atsuko can easily browbeat her into doing things.
Well, whatever. I think it's hilarious. I won't be stopping you when i'm in there.
You're actually going in there?
It's free food, plus I get to string Mahirma along for just a bit longer.
Y-you really shouldn't play with her emotions like that...
She tried to beat me up on the first day, and tried to do the same to you. I think she deserves a bit of emotional anguish.
Damn... That's cold. And kinda hot? Whatever.
What? Don't tell me you're...
Gay? Nah. I just kinda like that.
I mean, the world isn't that gay, ultimately.
There is a collective shrug. This isn't really a fanservice thing, regardless.

The rest of the evening went about as well as to be expected. Polifia the queen bitch's birthday party was ultimately a blast, if only because there was a half-hour chase that ended up with two people getting some type of pastry to the face. And one person with something considerably less tasty. People found it strange that Sydney couldn't seem to catch them, considering it's well known that she is stupid fast when she wants to be. But who is going to antagonize her after she performed a piledriver on Mahirma on the first day? All in all, it was kind of alright.

Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 15, 2017, 06:40:04 pm »

That was fun!

a small breathing problem
*sighs* Another for the heap. We gotta take better care of our spider-child. Or find/invent some really top-notch regeneration magic. Probably both...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 16, 2017, 03:35:35 pm »

Eveline does make one friend though, so that's neat.

So your problem is that you're too popular? Sucy says to her smaller friend. She was a tall girl, with puce hair that covers one of her eyes. She has a slouched posture that makes her look a bit tired all the time, not aided by her somewhat pale complexion and seemingly constant bags under her eyes.
Yes! I can't walk down the street without people either getting closer to me to form a damned posse or they shrink away like i'm gonna start something! Seriously,
 I DON'T want to deal with that kind of stuff. I don't wanna be around people I hardly know.

Have you tried pouring things in their drinks? Sucy says in a disturbingly matter-of-fact voice. Eveline had heard stories, but they seemed far too fantastical to be true
Very funny. I don't have a reputation to work off of, Sucy! They think of me as a hero for some reason!
You did save their hides.
All I did was walk up to the plant and put some salt in it. A monkey could have done it!
Sucy cocks her head and raises an eyebrow. She seems more annoyed than questioning. Didn't you take an explosion to the face?
The arm, but that hardly matters. I had painkillers, and we have the largest concentration of healers in the world.
People will still be impressed.
Then they're stupid. Hand me that mushroom, would you?

The witch hands the odd mushroom to the kobolt, who is angrily cooking up... something. Sucy has a suspicion, but she doesn't really pay much attention to most of the books. She's here to get her hands on all sorts of special materials that you just can't find elsewhere. There are rumors that she steals things from the stockpiles, but nobody really wants to end up on her "list". She has a frighteningly good memory, and she never lets go of a grudge. Although she spends plenty of time just pranking people that aren't quite so aware, especially that one girl from the necromancy course.
Well, this is about ready. With a bit of luck, this should encourage regeneration of the body.
Are you trying out healing thing for your drider friend?
Of course I am. She's done so many things for others, so I figure it's only right to try and fix some of her wounds.
She healed up. You're not supposed to regenerate it, you've got to change the basis.
The kobolt pauses, backing up a bit. She seems to be thinking a mile a minute for a while, before sighing and slamming her head on the table. She swears as her concoction bubbles. Quietly, Sucy just puts a cork on it.
I'm gonna take this. Might work well on my garden patch.
Oh go ahead... Ugh, I need to start on a whole new thing and we're getting close to the midterm exams again.
Trust me, you can't change somebody's body permanently. I tried. While the results are hilarious, they're only temporary... Though I did get Kagari's head to still sprout the occasional flower.
She laughs to herself, exposing her abnormally sharp canines. Eveline doesn't even take note of those anecdotes anymore. She's just glad somebody calm and collected is around to help and talk with. She understands, which is better than most of the other people in the alchemy course!
Of course, she won't be introducing her to the rest of her traveling friends. Sydney's friends with Kagari, so that alone is a good reason not to try anything.

Sucy left shortly thereafter, as Eveline looks through the book for something to get her started on reconstruction. If nothing else, she really wants to fix her eye. It's uncanny to see that glassy eye just stare on ahead. It's a horrible mark on something so strong and beautiful...
Eveline blushes as she thinks of her crush on Sydney. She should tell her, but...
Not yet. Once she manages to fix her up completely. Then she'll accept. Right?
Right.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:40:04 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 17, 2017, 02:18:52 am »

Well that's good. Eveline needed someone to be friendly with who she wasn't infatuated with. Also, Sydney has a bit of a heroic streak that might tend to make one feel a little uncomfortable about indiscretions in her presence, despite her own indiscretions being somewhat contrary to common standards... Sucy does not seem to have an overabundance of heroism. Not that she couldn't be heroic, I just rather see her more as the sort to build a doomsday device, or innocently pop down to the larder without minding the screams. I wonder if she and Sydney have any common acquaintances at I.D.C....
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 17, 2017, 04:48:26 pm »

Experiment Log 36
Test subject: Sydney Aestinus (special case, see addendum)
Test performed: Magic Resistances, natural or otherwise.

Researcher's Log: Due to the unique nature of the test subject, we were finally able to test the resistance inherent to magical creatures, or at least that of driders. Contrary to popular belief, driders are not resistant to most types of magic, as we have tested extensively. Although that impression could be gathered by the presence of her carapace, which functions as it should in protecting her against low-level destruction magic. When it comes to other available magic, subject noted discomfort at even the most basic level. This implies that there is no change in magic resistance compared to the "ordinary" races (Driders are a magical race, meaning they would not function without the presence of magic). However, we did note one type of magic she is resistant to, although it is by far the rarest. We were only able to test this through some of the eldritch blood graciously granted to us by the Black Swordswoman (Real name unknown). The blood has the documented effect of "corrupting" spells, when applied to the hands. (See safety regulation 55-56-57, in addition to the existing rules, keter-level.) I MUST remind everybody to always wear two layers of gloves, one rubber, and one leather, to guarantee safety when performing chaos magic. On that note, however, our find is relevant to those gloves

When chaos magic is applied to the subject, test subject completely failed to notice the blasts until we upped the power to the point that most others would have noted pain. even then, she felt mere discomfort. This shows that driders ARE resistant against chaos magic. It is still unsure if this is inherent to driders, or magical races.
For safety's sake, it is currently attributed to just driders, to discourage "impromptu" experiments. I would like to remind you that the previous person that tried such an experiment was fired.
Out of a cannon.
Back to the main point, the resistance to chaos magic is a very important point, and something that the test subject was aware about (in a sense, see addendum). However, according to the test subject, drider-silk is ALSO very resistant. This seemed somewhat ludicrous, but it is ultimately made by her body, so it isn't that far of a stretch. Magic creature are somewhat simple in comparison to most races when it comes to biological sense. On that note, our test subject was kind enough to grant us a collection of silk so we may run further tests. She has been compensated above the originally stated reward, as per Testing Law 12-B. Professor Flitbort also paid for some silk, albeit for personal use.

Tests are still underway with the silk, as it proves difficult to say if it is actually resistant to chaos magic or is just extremely sturdy. The silk is truly exceptional in its toughness, especially when bound together. Sadly, we have no weavers on staff.

Conclusion: Driders are more resistant to chaos magic, and there is a possibility that this applies to other magical races as well.
Driders are not resistant to any other types of magic, and there is a decent possibility that this applies to other magical races as well.
The report on silk will be available next week, or longer depending on testing.

Small note: We also noticed several disturbing burns and scars on the subject, which she claims to be the result of eldritch magic.
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 17, 2017, 05:41:45 pm »

I can't help but think that the manifestation of 'all things end' might technically count as eldritch...

I wonder if we can talk to Taxes somehow. Probably don't want to though. I mean, it is starting to look as though "you can't save a village without mangling a leg" is holding true for us, and that sounds like some sort of "everything is an exchange" deal. And then our continued survival might be an affront to it. We are afterall Big compared to humans, Damned by an eldritch god, and a Hero when the opportunity throws itself at our head... The B.D.H. trope rarely lasts that long in eldritch settings.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 18, 2017, 04:35:32 pm »

Death speaks with Taxes

Nah, entropy isn't represented by a figure.

Join us next time for Sydney's molting and drider sisters.
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 18, 2017, 06:50:14 pm »

Wow, we first heard about moulting back in reply 268. Time for some juicy spider anatomy! Pun intended, what with there being a vague concept of spiders being filled with juices, but evidently not very successful.

I can sort of see why this is. Everyone dies on a personal level, so there is a personable Demise. Entropy doesn't have much need to talk to folk, being more of a constant background thing. But there must be circumstances, I mean, every so often someone is going to use eldritch forces as a power supply, almost cause universal stasis as a consequence, and then someone needs a good telling off...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:54:49 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 19, 2017, 03:42:34 pm »

Sisters

Magnolia
Lavender
Rosemary
Violet

Lavender is the first to speak after all the sisters entered the room. You made it a point to wait until late in the day, because you know the molting takes a long, long time. Easily up to a few hours. Whole the molt itself is unpleasant, by the end of it you always feel like a new woman. Or drider.
So, you're seventeen, right? Not a lot of molts to go, in that case.
Really?
Oh, yes. You only molt so long as you're growing. Driders stop growing at around... what was it again, sis?
Average of twenty, but we technically keep growing over hundreds of years. It's just a LOT slower, from then on. That's why I'm bigger than my dearest sisters. She says, shaking her body a bit. You feel as though she isn't just referring to her height when she shakes.
Why, rub it in why don't you. Look, I'm only forty, I may still develop...
Face it, Rosy, we're both gonna be pancakes for the rest of our lives. Apparently, Rosemare and violet are outright twins. They act quite differently from eachother, however. Violet is a lot more butch. There's also a massive difference in ages. Lavender is three-hundred years older than Magnolia, and she's two-hundred years old. You feel like a child when the numbers are compared. Still, it's good to know you'll be really well preserved over the years.
So, when d'ya think you're going to molt?
You don't even give an answer as your back splits open with a very audible CRACK. There is a wince from Magnolia, although the other three seem less bothered. Violet laughs in response to it. You don't regret starting the process, but you have to admit that it actually hurt a LOT this time around. Apparently, having some more carapace on your human body means that stuff will split and replace itself as well. Somehow. You honestly feel as if your spine just split open, but it's a cool, burning pain. It's the sharpest around the actual carapace, of course. Moltings are not usually painful, but on rare occasions, some nerves will still be connected to the superfluous layer. Sometimes that gives feedback to the rest of your nervous system.
Did you ever mention that they rarely go well? Because this is one of those times.

It's probably even more worrying the pain doesn't even bother you in the slightest anymore.
Does it hurt? I had a couple bad molts before... I find chocolate helps.
Ah, it doesn't hurt much.
Is that in perspective? Cuz you look like you used to headbutt saw-blades for a living.
Violet! That's entirely inappropriate! Sydney, love, you look wonderful, don't let this bi-uh deplorable give you the wrong idea
Scars aren't exactly that bad, you know. Did you know they're a mark of pride up north?
So is eating your enemies. Barbaric practices are far below you, darling. Magnolia says, turning up her nose at the mention of the people up north. Of course, you've only ever met Thorgal, and that was like a million updates ago. Who knows how the northern people act when they're not being noble dudes in the pursuit of removing eldrich.
No racism in the household, please. It's unbecoming, especially with guests.
Uh, returning to the original question, it probably hurts a lot if you're not used to it. My old doctor explained that to me once, the nervous system not fully letting go of the stuff that gets removed. Speaking of removing...

You violently shudder your legs, mostly on instinct, as it loosens the carapace just a little further. Your back has split open complete, showing the fresh carapace underneath. It's still a little pale in comparison to your usual blue, but that will darken in just a few days time.
We'd better get you flipped if you're going to continue. Uh, we'll just move ourselves a bit so it's not too awkward, right ladies?
Of course. Oh, while I'm up, who wants biscuits and tea?
Get some chocolate milk for Sydney, though. Trust me on this, it really helps.
Considering you're still getting shocks of pain, you're not about to complain. You've also begun scratching at your hands, trying to get the natural armor to get off. It itches like mad.
Wait, hold up. You're not wearing gloves? What kinda drider are you, anyway? None of us have extra shell like that.
Most likely some mutations from some exceptional things. If a drider pushes beyond the usual and manages something, they can fairly spontaneous mutations. Those can go any direction, from what I heard... Of course, we live in the city, so none of us ever experienced it.
I have, a few times. I had a turbulent few years, if I must remind you.
Nono, I just... I never asked.
It's nothing exceptional. My hairs are an irritant and my webbing's a bit more sticky. Ah, on that note, have you noticed something about us, Sydney?
I haven't exactly known you for long... No offence
Still think you shoulda noticed that we don't exactly fit together as sisters. I mean, me and Violet are the same species of spider, jumping spiders. But Magnolia's a wolf spider, and Lavender's a... What was it?
Rose tarantula. Anyhow, Sydney, did you really not notice?
I just didn't pay much attention to it, I guess.
I guess it's all based on perspective. Anyhow, we're technically only half-sisters. Our mother died about thirty years ago. Old age, too. Not common for our kind, but I suppose it has to happen. She got up to a thousand and seventy-eight. Was a city parade about it too, people loved Mami Gossammer. She was a fortune teller. We lost some business when we had to downgrade to "Spa" instead of "Spa and fortuneteller".
What happened to the fathers?
My sisters never had a father, he ran off when his bounty caught up with him.  Lavender's tried to start a cult, and that came over poorly with the Tower. and mine... Well, that deadbeat left because he was scared of raising a family. Damned bastard...
Not many reliable male driders, I suppose?
Well, the majority of driders is female to begin with. I guess with enough bad luck it could seem so.
The guy in the city doesn't seem so bad.
Yeah, if he'd ever come out of the house, maybe. He doesn't even want to talk to anybody.
He looks dreamy, though...
Contain your thirst, sis. Eesh.
Oh! that reminds me. I'm going to go get the drinks!

You've been shaking your legs out of your... legs. for quite a while, with your mangled leg coming out entirely. It looks... unpleasant, to say the least. The stump is showing the flesh usually underneath the carapace, which is a whitish-brown in color. You sip your chocolate milk, which surprisingly does help with the pain almost instantly. The rest of the drider are drinking tea, lamenting that they can't drink coffee without getting shitfaced. Except Viola, who calls it crappy beanwater. That gets a chuckle out of everybody, which abrubtly ends as the plating on your human parts finally sloughs off. It clatters on the floor, surprisingly, showing that it's a bit tougher than you'd expect. Less flexible than your usual carapace, at least.
Disgusting?
They nod awkwardly.
I'm not apologizing, you knew what you were getting into.
They look at each-other with a look that can only be described as "miffed acceptance of own fate". Still, you're still lying on your back, so you're not in much of a position to pick it up. Honestly, you're in nothing but your new bra (Meandra finds the BEST deals), so they hardly even have the right to feel awkward. You cross your arms in a small huff as you pull yourself a bit further out of your old carapace. You're just about out of there by now, but the third one on the left is sticking a bit...
Viola suddenly janks it off, freeing you of your old armor and giving you free motion once more. You twitch a little with your legs, before rolling back on your feet.
You put your shirt back on in a hurry, and pick up the small pieces of carapace. Now, of course, there's the husk to deal with.

Well, I can sell that thing.
Honestly, it's still drider plate... Find the right person and you could make some solid armor. It's really lightweight.
That would mean you'd be wearing your own skin...
Brutal.
We'll be keeping it here for a while, though. It's really too large to comfortably carry through the city, so we won't make your suffer through that. Besides,
 nobody enters the spider's parlor.

Far too erudite on old rhymes that we can't use for fear of being called walking cliches.
Not to mention there's no flies around that we can talk to.
Too literal darling
Oh bite me.
I just might.
Uh, right. Well. Thanks for the tea. I'll go have a look around on what to do with that husk. I'll try and get it out of your hair before the sunset.
Of course, dear. No pressure. Oh, try to avoid sunning for the next few days. It lets you keep that lighter shade that I think looks quite lovely on you.
I'll... keep that in mind.

Reinforce your leather armor with carapace
It would be a little flashy, but the effectiveness can't be denied. You can probably make it work.

Sell it
Plenty of people would love a piece of chaos-resistant plating. Of course, that would mean there'd be more stuff of you available on the market, which is... weird.

Split it?
You can get your armor reinforced a tiny bit, but it would look kind of bad. Selling a bit of it means you've got some extra spending power, sure, but not nearly as much as selling the whole thing.
It really isn't that great an option, but it's there...

Other

Neat stuff I do:

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 19, 2017, 04:00:51 pm »

Reinforce your leather armor with carapace.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 19, 2017, 05:26:50 pm »

So is eating your enemies.
And that would be terrible.

Check if Yunikki is interested. Maybe Eveline too? We could even consider getting a little piece carved, buffed, and waxed and putting it on a silk string as a pretty charm for Meandra... except that would be disgusting? It can be so difficult to be sure about these things.

But do reinforce our armour. Generally keep it in the family, we have comfortably met our quota for selling our body.

It is worth remembering that chocolate can has caffeine in it, but that is probably the point. I mean, cocaine and alcohol are used as pain treatments and caffeine is probably similar, although who knows exactly what the best equivalent is, and I am sure the girls know what an appropriate dosage is. Huh... I guess there are all sorts of substances that would be illicit in a single-species society that just can't be practically controlled in a broader demographic. Maybe covering our carapace too much might reduce our breathing. Meh, I have too many biology questions and not enough interest in studying spiders. Meh, 'tis the price one pays for laziness.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:37:46 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 21, 2017, 04:58:17 pm »

I'll be honest, this is the second time somebody came in here with their own skin to attach to clothing. The wide-set leatherworker says, as he stitches the plating on your leather armor. He didn't seem at all surprised when you explained you had a husk to deal with.
What?
Yeah. Some old fella came in without his skin, or any of his flesh for that matter. Essentially just a skeleton with eyes and a brain. And I was pretty sure those noodles were plannin' on falling out at any moment.
So... It was some kind of prank, right?
Nope. Turns out the fella succeeded in becomin' something wild. Think the newspaper was a bit wild about it, and plenty of dem journalist people came 'round to have a snoop. Something 'bout necro... necro- necrosomtin'
Necromancy?
Dassit! That's the word. Anyway, apparently he's the first to turn 'imself into something called a litch? or Lich. I wasn't payin' attention. Sure made his skin tough, though, had to get the stone needle for the stuff. Joy to work with, though. Toughest AND softest leather I ever worked with. Hm. Speakin' of, your stuff here's pretty good too. Pliable. Course, my normal needle works fine enough, it ain't dragonhide.
You worked with dragonhide!?
Lady, I'm the only leatherworker next to a big ol' tower full of wizards and potters and what have you. I've worked with everythin' under the sun, and plenty of things that 'ain't. It don't bother me none. Tower even brings me the tools. That stone needle's enchanted, of course. Stone's pretty rubbish otherwise. Our smith told me some stories 'bout all the people that wanna make stone armor just because they some ring that makes equipment lighter. Course, they stole that enchantment off the paladins from before they avoided magic. Some fella by the name of Havel or something? They keep forgetting that removing half of the weight on a ton of stone is still half a damned ton. Not te mention the fact that it's damn hard to move in, chips... Lemme tell you, the smith gets real steamed about it at this stage.
I'm not much of a heavy armor user.
Most people 'ain't, this day n' age. Just not practical. Even if you get past the price-tag, you need to get used to it, and adapt to proper weaponry. It's a cryin' shame that the crusaders don't use the proper weaponry with their armor. They still go for one-handed weaponry, to properly defend. The armor aughta be enough, this should be in the thick of it swinging away at the enemy! Instead they drag out fights, lettin' any ol' schmuck figure out where the weak points are.
The man snorts. He clearly has some clear opinions about how to fight.

How long will this take, anyhow?
Well, if you had to go use it right now, i'd finish it in an hour or two. But I know ya don't, so I'm gonna take my time and make it damned good. Come back in
a week or so and i'll have reinforced this baby up to a hundred percent. Reminds me, how you gon' pay me?

I figured I'd try money. That seems to work most of the time.
Well, missy. I may have an alternative option for ya.
I'm not selling the remains. Bad experience with pieces of my body in the market.
Oh no, don't worry. It's nothin' like that. It's just that I want somebody to get something very special for me. I asked the hunters, but they don't do requests.
 Mercenaries are a risk i don't wanna take, but you. You live here, and I know you're a damned good fighter. Heard about it. So I want you to go make a visit to the giant spider cave just north of here, and get me their queen. The skin on those things alters n' shifts, and it's breedin' season for it. Skin turns really tough and really pliable to hold in all them eggs and silk. I can make some of my top quality work with that, and just one of those armors gets me through a season. You do this for me, and you get this armor for free. Not to mention, you'll have a favor with ol' Eli here. Oh, and if I got any of your carapace left over, I'll fashion it into something you'd like, free of charge. That's a good deal,
 innit?

Hmmm... Well.

I can't believe you agreed to this. Eveline says, in an uncertain tone as you stand before the gaping maw of the cave.
It seemed like a good idea.
Well, it is a good deal. But this is still a nest of giant spiders. It's not going to be easy, and we're a bit... outnumbered.
What else is new? I'm itching to put this training to the test! Yunikke says, clearly excited. She has numerous scriptures attached to her armor with wax, and she holds herself a lot straighter. She looks like a proper crusader now.
Well... Just shout if you feel something tickle, and make sure your antivenom's ready. We ready?
Close Enough your two friends shout.
And in you go.

Not a choice thing or anything, this is just a quick non-interaction romp.
Although you can suggest something if you really want to.
Neat stuff I do:
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 216