Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184989 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #435 on: March 01, 2017, 05:05:29 pm »

Blarg with a vengeance

You focus your necromantic powers, and attempt to "probe" the room for something. Closing your bottom eyes gives you a strange purple haze over your vision, and after a short while, you catch something new. You see little flames inside the bodies of the people in the room. Those must be their souls! You try to reach out to the closest man, the one with the purple robe trying to make people bid higher for the pigman next to you. eventually, your vision seems to zoom in, giving you an intense case of vertigo. You feel your stomach turn, and suddenly...

You start SPEWING out the black goo, making the whole room recoil and scream in disgust and fear! You severely underestimated how much of the stuff would be coming out, and you can hardly breathe from the sheer amounts. You gasp for air, and only manage the smallest amount inbetween the spills. Nobody dares coming closer, and the pigman is also doing his best to stay away from you, clearly as terrified as the rest of the room. You can't focus on making a "tidy" mess, and you stagger over to the pigman, as you continue to vomit. Some of the stuff is actually coming out through your nose, and you're glad the stuff is tasteless, at least. You start pulling with all your might on the arm you can reach, and the pig has just enough sense to help pulling. Slowly, the brick containing the chain is starts to crack and loosen. You turn to the rest of the room. Some of the "patrons" are trying to get out of the room, and more importantly, Silver is coming closer. He's gritting his teeth, and is very warily coming closer to stop you. His arm has transformed into the red-hot blade, but the arm isn't completely free yet! It's very hard to make sense of the arena as you keep vomiting out black goop, but the chain seems to give way a little bit, just the tiniest inch. The vomiting is just slowing down as you hear loud footsteps behind you. Silver is rushing forward, intent on stabbing you! But, just in the nick of time, the pigman shoves you out of the way with an amazing amount of force. Even with your eight legs, he manages to push you out of the way. Silver misses, and now has his back turned to you as his momentum carries him a little further.
Perfect...

You stand on your hind legs, twisting your human back a little to account for the collar, and thrust your abdomen forward. Silver manages to block the attack, just barely. He managed to twist his metallic arm into something resembling cover just in time. Then he gets a hammer punch from the pigman, knocking him back a little. As he is reeling from the hit, you take another stab at it. This time, you succeed. Your stinger hits him straight in his belly, knocking him back and winding him. He starts writhing and screaming on the floor as the pain from your poison does its work. He rolls away from the both of you, just barely avoiding the tremendous weight of the pigman's foot.  You go back to pulling on the chain, and finally, it comes loose. The brick snaps in half, and the pigman yells in triumph. Silver is slowly getting up, using his rather prodigious girth to somewhat mitigate the poison. He's still shaking, and he's drooling a little. Both of his metallic limbs are growing a little spiky as they become less stable. The pigman is using both arms to pull on the remaining chain, and quickly manages to pull it loose with his tremendous strength. He then quickly rushes to your chain as Silver stumbles towards you. His blade arm is hardly proper, and he makes a clumsy swing at you. You dodge, barely. Just then, a small explosion of gravel is heard behind you as the pigman has managed to break your chain holder as well. You can properly move once more!

Silver suddenly sprints to the exit, essentially serving as a battering ram for the people that ended up stuck in their haste to escape. The pigman next you is winding up his chains around his arms. He looks ready to crush something. He starts by stomping on the head of someone who was groaning on the floor, having been trampled by the other people. His head downright explodes! This pig is so unbelievably strong...
You spit out the last bit of black goo, making the pig look at you strangely. He's a little covered in it, but he doesn't appear to be that scared right now.
Now what?

Try to get something to defend yourself before going out.
You don't have much things available here, just a corpse and a chain around your neck. Maybe you can figure something out...

Rush out, now!
We'll see where we're going when we get there. Charge out!

Plan something.
Now that you're loose, you need to think carefully on your next move. Maybe you can free some prisoners?

Other

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This pig got some lucky rolls, I gotta tell you.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:35:49 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 01, 2017, 05:17:49 pm »

Free the pixie and our minions at least.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 01, 2017, 06:03:13 pm »

Errrgh, I wanna get Silver, but I don't know how : (
Tell the pigman that you want to rescue the other slaves, safety in numbers and all that...
Move quickly. You know they will have thugs about and the slaves should be restrained in an emergency, so punching whatever in the face before you know who it is will probably serve you well.
Look for keys, they don't seem the type to have magic keys so they will probably look conventional...
Exchange names with the pigman and inform them that the black stuff is sort-of a message from a sort-of friend and is probably harmless, but if they start having weird dreams about puzzle towers then it might be your fault and they might want to see a qualified mystic.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #438 on: March 01, 2017, 10:19:56 pm »

Errrgh, I wanna get Silver, but I don't know how : (
Tell the pigman that you want to rescue the other slaves, safety in numbers and all that...
Move quickly. You know they will have thugs about and the slaves should be restrained in an emergency, so punching whatever in the face before you know who it is will probably serve you well.
Look for keys, they don't seem the type to have magic keys so they will probably look conventional...
Exchange names with the pigman and inform them that the black stuff is sort-of a message from a sort-of friend and is probably harmless, but if they start having weird dreams about puzzle towers then it might be your fault and they might want to see a qualified mystic.

+1

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 02, 2017, 04:42:34 pm »

That corpse is tempting, we could have a go... but, ehh, it is so big, we've never tried anything like it before... What if it bursts and makes a mess?
Should we burn 20 second mugging it? someone is bound to in all this mess and it may as well be us, we might even surrender the loot to the authorities and if they have identification then it could be good to blackmail notify the next of kin...
And it would be nice to have a proper shirt, one with,, like, pockets, and doesn't itch like the pits of madness...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 02, 2017, 05:32:32 pm »

Other Slaves

We need to rescue the other slaves.
You 'figure we got enough time? I figure they have more than one guy with a sharp stick around...
All the more reason to get more people involved! Come on, we have to go before they get the reinforcements in here.
Gotcha, I'll keep 'em off you. MY fists are itchin'!
Before you go, however, you frisk the corpse of the man with the crushed head. You get a heavy pouch filled with coins, and steal the soft, satin shirt. It's better than your current itchy cloth, and probably defends about as well. You don't look like a prisoner, though.

You rush outside, doing a small wall-run towards where you came from. It's mostly so you don't lose any speed, and it looks cool as hell. You ram the first door you see with your shoulder. It's another room filled with people, but no slaves are visible. The few patrons that are there look downright gaudy in their riches. Thick cloaks, gold trimmings... They seem to be fighting a battle in looking like rich bitches. One of them looks like she garbed herself in a golden jumpsuit and added eyelashes as big as her forehead. You look at it in disgust as the patrons looks at you in surprise and vague amusement. They don't seem to be panicking.
Alright, SHOW'S CANCELED! TELL ME WHERE THE KEYS ARE, OR I'M GONNA-OI! The closest patron has decided to lift your cloth, looking at you with detached interest.

Now he's on the floor with some teeth missing and a confused look on his face. Now the crowd starts panicking, of course. rushing in all directions  like cockroaches. You grab a piece of cloth from the idiot you punched, and cover yourself up a little more, giving you a decent bit of cushion around your midsection.  . It feels like you're wearing a dog around your waist, but it's a comfy and cute dog. But that's not what you came here for...
Pigman, make a noise.
It's Alexander...
He uses his chains to slam on the floor, making a hellishly loud rattle against the floor. One of the tiles cracks from the display of power.
I'M GIVING YOU ONE MORE CHANCE. KEYS, AND DIRECTION TO THE CAGES.
One of the more collected patrons shouts out that you need to keep heading to the left, and that the keys are "below". As you've wasted too much time already, you just rush out. You hear a large collection of footsteps far away in the hall, they sound heavy and armored. Better move it...

You continue running, slowing down a little to let Alexander catch up. For all his power, he's a little slow. You head down some stairs, and reach a collection of cells. They're outright cell doors in a stone wall. Looking inside, you see all types of creatures. A collection of small, gray humanoids in one cell, a mix between a man and a goat, a kobolt... They seem to jump to life when you come near, pleading for their freedom. You grab the small bundle of keys on the wall as the footsteps, shouting and clattering becomes louder still. The hallway is rather small, so they will be funneled, but you don't have weapons! You try the keys on the cell doors, starting with the closest one. The gray humanoids stick out their arms, showing how inhuman they look. The limbs are too long, and their faces are black, with little more than a hint of nose. They are soundless, but they don't deserve being stuck here, probably. When you finally manage to get the right key in, the gray things burst out. They somehow climb the walls, but you've got better things to do. The other cages are easier, as you now know which key to use. The kobolt pretty much instantly jumps on your back, she's so light and you have better things to do. You open up the last cage, and the goatman inside rises to his full length. When he stands in the light, it turns out that he is more of a flaming goat-skull than just a goatman. Very satanic, very scary. Still, the door is open, and he thanks you with a soft-spoken voice.
Alright people, we've got assholes incoming! Let's move!

You continue along the corridor, and eventually find the door you came out of. There's nothing else to the sides! You must have missed a passage somewhere...
You open the door, and find the fairy in the cage. She starts yelling a little, but relents when you make a clear hole in the salt cirkle, allowing her to escape. But now, of course, you're trapped. The good news is, you've got a large, circular room and the dagger is still here. Your companions are a seven foot goatman, a six foot pigman, a mass of connected grey men crawling like a clump of spiders, and a small kobolt that is currently rising you like a horse and hiding its face in the heavy cloth you stole.
You should figure something out, those footsteps are getting louder...

Note: Kobolts are essentially humanoid puppies. Small, hairy, dog-eared, cute eyes and easy to scare.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:36:28 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 02, 2017, 07:01:30 pm »

((Kobolds, yeah?))

What can we do, what can they do, look for their souls and put the fear of death into them.  Also web the door shut.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:08:31 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 02, 2017, 08:01:20 pm »

Option 1: Hide
Some of you can gain altitude and at least one of you can hold others on the roof with silk webs. The enemy may check the room without looking up, and even if they do, dropping from above is a great way to break a formation, and possibly a few necks...

Option 2: Bluff
 We are probably in the city, if we can get out a signal, possibly smoke? Then we can hope for some sort of rescue. Convince the guards that none of them want to be the first to attack and you could stall them for a good while.

Option 3: surrender
 No.

Option 4: Pray
 We've met two gods, one of which doesn't completely hate us, and the other has a personal interest in us and won't hesitate to raze a city over a stale muffin... Not to mention that our own mother may qualify if there is any substance to those drider cults, there must be some reason that it feels so right...
 And perhaps the goatman can offer up some sort of fiendish contract?

Option 5: Charm
 Driders are worshipped in many parts of the world and we have our own talents at convincing others, not to mention that we could compel a gaggle of sycophants from our fellow prisoners to help sell the image. This chain around our neck does cut into that a bit though, but it can be covered... The guards are probably in it for money and liberties, in theory it should be possible to make them think that you are offering something better.

Option 6: Fight
 We have been through a war ourselves and Alexander is strong at least, give him a weapon long enough to keep out of harm and he should be devastating. The fairy can probably do something from above, they are meant to be magical, right? If the, umm, community over there can form hands in close proximity to one another then arming them should make them difficult to approach. So long as our rider feels safer on a large, angry ally than off in a corner then we have someone to watch our back. One assumes that Satan is probably dangerous, but may be a pacifist, hopefully they are intimidating enough to keep us from being rushed.

Resources:
Necromancy:
 We have two noncombatants out there somewhere, probably, maybe they can get someone's attention and come to us?
 We can see souls, can we do anything with them? A bit of spiritual groping might unnerve someone enough to fall for a ridiculous bluff...
 We have several living creatures. Living creatures can become dead creatures... Of particular note is grey goo that seems amorphous enough that recovering from dismemberment may be an option and we can stand, but probably not fight, on what, three legs? That leaves us with up to five legs that can maybe be necromantically warped into carapace swords/spears or maybe two of them could be fused together and used like a vice?
 If we can keep someone fighting after being stabbed through the heart, especially if we can do it fluidly, then it would sell the whole goddess story and suggest to the guards that maybe our minions won't stop fighting while we are inspiring them...
 We can control hair, and if they have long hair and helms then that could be a lasting problem for them.
Items:
 There was a table, right? Wooden? Should be smashable into some clubs, and Satan is on fire, right? Or maybe the fairy knows fire magic? A clubs is of some use against armour but a burning club is a loud thing that can mess up someone's attention if it is near their face. That and a cloud of fine embers is a decent way to make someone regret being in armour.
We were in a cage if I recall. Metal bars? If that can be smashed then we have lead pipes. We can maybe dose them with poison or spin them into some slash-resistant armour or a fragile shield, or even into some sort of segmented whip...
 There is also a knife, probably best if it remains a knife. Someone can use it to poke into things, or we could cut stuff.
 clothing exists, we have this flimsy silk job and the fairy has that flower, and Alexander is presumably slightly decent, depending upon what market they were aiming for... Bolas are probably actually quite good against armour if we can find weights for them, a glob of cloth is not quite completely useless if it can be webbed tight.
 Webs can be used to make a tripwire, tripping is bad for people in armour. It can be used to make the ground sticky, it might catch up people's feet and bind them together... It could stick something heavy to the roof that can be dropped at someone. It can bind a barricade together...
 Alexander and I have chains. We can't drop them, which is a bad thing, but Alexander could have his chains wrapped together to turn them into one flail with twice the heft which would probably be more effective than trying to control two at once. Or just the ends could be webbed together to make a loop with which to grab people and pull them over.

Allies:
 Well I do not have a bestiary and I do not know where these people would fit into one. If anyone has any notable abilities it would be nice to hear about them.
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 03, 2017, 01:08:17 am »

Fight!
Ask Alexander to break the table and cage into clubs and cross the far ends of his chains together and web them that way.
Ask Greyfolk to hold the door closed and wedge it with wood shards.
Ask the goatman to hand out weapons and ask if anyone can set fire to the tips of the wooden club/tablelegs and warn everyone that you might screech loudly and it might hurt.
Ask the kobolt to collect some salt to throw into people's eyes and make a silk tripwire across the doorway(between the door and wall with slack enough to open about three quarters if it opens towards you).
Ask Alexander to break off your second-back pair of legs, grit your teeth and concentrate on the plan. Animate Piece on the first then try to Reshape Minion it to straighten it, fuse the joints, and extend a blade/spike from the tip, then give the spear to your kobolt rider. Repeat the process on the other leg and stretch it straight(though a curve is good enough), flatten and compress it to one and and give it a sharp edge and crude handle then web a handle onto an intact facing of the broken cage to use as a shield/blade-catcher.
Form up with yourself at the centre, the greyfolk ready to attack from above/behind if they get a chance, Alexander and goatman either side of you and the fairy ready to mess with them at its own discretion.
Be ready to dodge darts and bolts and spin the shield to break their aim. Have the door opened, speak with all your conviction "stand against me and die", rise up onto your toes, breath in, think of your pain, then descend upon them and screech, scream every bad thing that has every happened into them, scream into their souls and drive them from your path, break all that comes before you and leave this place. Any that fall are to rise to your service and clear your way.

I am not sold on this, so if anyone wants to modify the above or offer something else then there is a fair chance I will vote for it...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 03, 2017, 01:47:25 am »

Late-update beastiary!
I was going to do this, but I SERIOUSLY did not have the time. I was honestly considering just not updating at all.

Pigman (Normal)
Not to be confused with the eldrich types, these people are a type of beastman with prodigious strength and resilience. They generally look like a large, fat(although this is healthy for a pigman) man with a pig for a head and rough black fur over his body. They are quite rare, being an offshoot of the bestial races of the north, and are not considered as part of the Sentient Alliance. Despite this, they have the same rights and rules as any other citizen.

Kobolt
An interesting off-shoot of the goblins that is much smaller and less advanced. They appear like small humanoids generally reaching up to around one meter (although some size differences may occur). They appear doglike, and have small, ineffectual claws.
They generally still work in tribal groupings, but are not ignorant of society's advancements. Generally, it is assumed that the kobolts do not feel like they belong in the world of the "tall ones". Despite this, many kobolts go on pilgrimages, and wanderlust is one of the most common traits for a kobolt. They are quick and loyal to a fault.
Artists impression
I'm barely even joking, this is what they look like. I regret nothing.

Cave-crawlers
One of the strangest creatures in the dwarven tunnels, Cave-crawlers appear like a mass of gray humanoids, like clay figures. Despite their somewhat frightening appearance, they are mostly harmless due to their docile nature. They are known to help lost travelers return to a city, and will sometimes even help with menial labor. Despite their docile and helpful behavior, when their nest is threatened, they can fly into a rage, leading to them throwing rocks with their many arms and strangling their opponents. Because of this ferocity, and the sheer numbers of Cave-Crawlers, nobody known how they reproduce. Whether or not they are sentient is a hotly debated topic. They are well-known for their ability to climb walls, using their surprising grip strength and minor "stickyness"

Baphoro
Extremely mysterious creatures. They appear like a very tall man with a flaming goat-skull, and goat legs. They are considered a subtype of chimera, but their intelligence is far too high to be considered an actual chimera. They are known to have a calm demeanor, but to showcase terrible strength when properly angered or threatened. Some are known to be adapt in fire magic, but that is not a rule. Almost nothing is known about these creatures, and they are looked at with distrust by almost everyone. Their tendency to never say anything more than necessary does not help.

Fairy
Very small humanoids with extreme bio-luminescence. They are technically an extention of forest spirits, but can live far outside the actual forests. These fairies have a strong connection to magic, but due to their small size, they are incapable of performing any exceptional feats of magic. Some are known to link themselves to people, serving as guides, but this is extremely rare. They are prized among slavers for the supposed magical effects one can harvest when they are kept in a cage. While it is true, it is considered unethical to keep a fairy in a cage. They have been known to even die from the stress.
Like most spirits, a circle of salt can block their approach. This circle is very generous in what is considered a circle, so fairies are terrified of kitchens.

Sorry for the very late bestiary. Update will come tonight.
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 03, 2017, 02:26:57 am »

man with a pig for a head
Just to be clear, they have an actual, whole, pig on top of their neck? With little legs and a tail and everything?

And thankyou again for the story!
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 03, 2017, 05:54:24 am »

man with a pig for a head
Just to be clear, they have an actual, whole, pig on top of their neck? With little legs and a tail and everything?

And thankyou again for the story!

I'm VERY STRONGLY considering making it like that.
Why did you do this to me?
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 03, 2017, 12:43:30 pm »

Because kobolts! are awesome.

Also, pig necks are horizontal, human necks are vertical, unless the pig-head is looking up it will need to have its neck attachment radically altered. But ifyou just slap a whole pig up there then it all sort of just works...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:21:37 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 03, 2017, 02:01:27 pm »

"Alexander, are you strong enough to pull metal bars out as spears? Otherwise turn the Tablelegs into clubs. Name's Sidney, by the way." Give the Kobolt one, have her continue riding on you.
Cover the dagger in your poison.
Does the building have high ceilings? if so take the upper route.
Do not stay here. Storm forward. A defensible dark room is also a deathtrap that muffles your screams. They block the Entrance and you starve.
"This room is a Deathtrap. Let's show them that trying to enslave us was a bad idea."
Have your troops stand to the sides of any door, ready to attack anybody outside and proceed forward, opening door after door until you can leave the building.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:05:12 pm by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 03, 2017, 04:56:38 pm »

Suggest that Alexander could use chains to provide leverage against the cage's bars, and it would also allow a collaborative effort with others.
Also suggest that something could be propped against the door to hold it closed, unless it opens outwards. Rushing out is nice and all, like, really super-important, but we want to arm ourselves first.

In before these are city guards who, regardless of how corrupt they must be to turn up here and chase down the slaves, will produce huge legal troubles for anyone who hurts them.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 216