Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184917 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #345 on: February 09, 2017, 07:46:16 pm »

Meeting the Town

You go for the room. You ask your dad to take some food with him as you head upstairs. The innkeeper, a plumper goblin that was in the kitchen, shows you to your temporary room.  You enter, and just plop down on the bed. It's not quite made for your size, but it hold your weight easily enough. You still feel a tingling in your hands, but your heart-rate is slowing down, at least. you take a few deep breaths, and eventually manage to sob a little.
You have no idea what the fuck that just was. You were fine, and then you just go through a... seizure or something? You hold your face in your hands, and push your nails in your forehead in frustration. You made an absolute fool of yourself! The whole city is going to be talking about the crazed drider now! And you just ran away from the problem like a little girl, too! You feel your nails digging through your skin as you squeeze harder, but eventually you throw your hands in the air. You were about to continue freaking out, when your group comes in, carrying a platter of food. They silently put it on the floor and let you talk first. After an awkward few seconds, you eventually just ask:
What just happened?
You had a flashback, Sydney. I saw it all the time during the crusades. People that saw more than they could handle get stuck in it.... Some just stare, some start seeing enemies everywhere and some... well, they're like you. They just want to run away, regardless of whether or not there's a threat.
Gods... The ritual was bad, but I didn't think it affected you that much. You seemed fine! A bit shaken up, but we all were.
Well, she's still just sixteen years old. Tough as she is, we've all got limits.
A-am I going to keep doing this kind of thing?
...It depends. I've seen some people work through it, accepting it as just a bad memory, and others were messed up for life. You look to be alright, though. You don't act out of the ordinary unless you're... well, triggered. I'd suggest you don't talk too much about the ritual. Some people use a code-word for the trauma, but honestly, I'm not the man you need to talk to. I saw it happen, lived with 'em, but I couldn't really help.

Your father hugs you, suddenly. It's quite tight, and he doesn't say anything for a while. The silence is deafening, but eventually you push him off. There are tears in his eyes and he can't quite seem to meet your gaze, as if he's ashamed.
I... I should have found you sooner, damn it! It was bad enough you were so hurt and now you've got... this!
Hey now, old man. I know we don't get along, but I know you did everything you could, alright? Come on, I think the bo-I mean, Sydney, needs more smiles than tears right now.
Your uncle takes dad by the shoulder and pulls him away a bit. He gives him a pat on the back, and then turns to you.
You should take as long as you need. We'll finish up dinner, and then we can talk about where we're going to sleep. We could all do with a little rest, I think.
You nod. Food seems good right now, even if you did get a mental breakdown over a sausage. The thought of it makes you blush, but you squeeze your eyes shut and shake your head. You just take a deep breath, and make a sandwich with a very hefty helping of assorted meats and dig in. Your companions join you, and the meal continues in silence. You don't even think much during the meal. When it concludes,  Yunikki is the first to speak up.
Alright, so... We were going to talk about where we were gonna sleep. I've got a bed waiting for me at the barracks, so you don't need to worry about me. Sydney, did they give you a room to stay?
[glow=orange2,300]No. They don't have a residential area in the tower, it's all just large rooms for different areas of magic. [/glow]
Well, I usually spend the night in the inn, but I don't stay here longer than I have to, usually. I don't stick around much, got plenty of students, after all.
I don't think we can do that. The rooms are for long-term staying.
I've got a bed at the refugee camp. You're technically not allowed in there, as you're not part of the initial wave, but I don't think anybody will complain if they see you in there. Liam, you can probably join us, too.
No no... I'll pay for the night here, and after that I'll just rough it on the streets. I know some soft cobblestones around here, I'll be fine.
God-damn it, have you been living like a hobo again? I know it saves money, but come on.
Ah, shut it. It was years ago since I spent the night on the streets. If I really feel unsafe, I can use the thieves' guild. I know a guy there, they'll keep an eye out for me.
You know people from the thieves' guild?
You don't need a clandestine background to be part of the crusades, you know. A lot of sinners flocked to it to find redemption. Of course, old habits die hard...
Alright then. I suppose we've all got someplace to sleep, then. I'd say we get to it, so we can do what we need to do tomorrow. Sydney, you think it's all right to go now? We can wait a bit longer if you need to.
I'm fine. Don't worry about me. Let's go, alright?

You make some arrangements to meet up at midday in the market district, and then you leave the inn. You give your thanks to the goblin owners before leaving, of course. They say it was no trouble and wish you well. The walk to the refugee camp was simple. There wasn't much to be said, after all. When you reach the place where everybody is expected to sleep, you're downright shocked. This building used to be a barn! When you enter, most people are still walking around, although some have already retired to what qualifies for beds around here. The elders and children get beds, but many sleep on simple bedrolls or even piles of hay. Your town consisted of around fifty people, and around half of them are in this barn. After a short while, people notice you.
The reaction is quite positive.

People run up to you, for the sake of shaking your hand. The fact that you decided to save their town, even if they can't return quite yet. Not to mention, some of your childhood friends are here! Tommen decided against coming to you, he's just dreaming away in a corner, cutting a piece of wood into some sort of shape. Your little posse of gossipers are here too. You haven't even though of them since the attack on the village. They're all around your age, and they happily chat away about some inane things they saw. You consider telling the story of what you've been up to, but...
You can't risk another episode. Not with these people. You mostly just stay quiet and listen to them talking about whatever boy captured their fancy recently. Apparently, they breed them well in the city. Or at least, they have some fat wallets. One of the girls is even dating one of the nobles right now. You suspect the noble is playing her, but you don't know enough about this to really talk. You're a bit too tired, either way. You just remembered that you haven't had a proper night's sleep in a week! You spent so much time skulking around the bandit camp...
You find a nice pile of hay, and try to go to sleep. The village chatters on for a while, but your sleep still comes easily.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're dreaming again. You can tell because you recognize the place. The warping, impossible buildings made of flesh and metal, the whispers...
This time, however, you can move. Your body is healthy and young instead of crippled and old. You're naked, but you don't feel bad about it. Whatever this is, it will pass. After a short while, a door opens again. like last time, there is a blinding light, but you don't fear it. The figure is hard to discern, but the shape is human, at least. Looking a bit closer, trying to peer through the blinding light, you see...
An orc?

You wake up again. There is hay in your hair, but you don't feel all-together uncomfortable. Your unique form doesn't allow for many variations in comfort, so the sleep on the hay isn't uncomfortable.
What to do now?

Go to work.
They didn't mention working hours, but you can probably go to the mages' tower. Better get some work done and some money in.

Amuse yourself.
No clear working hours for the tower means you can kill some time. There's plenty to do, after all.

Other

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FORUM RUNNERS
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:22:01 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 09, 2017, 08:07:48 pm »

Get to work, we can probably have our "Pets" help somewhat while we are there...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 09, 2017, 08:29:35 pm »

Yeah, let's get to work.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 09, 2017, 09:00:11 pm »

Get to work! And try to send your pets ahead to find/greet/summon Meandra to show-off/compare our necromancy.
Hopefully we can get finished early, or take some time off in the middle of the day, and try to make the beginnings of some hammocks for the other refugees. Also, it would be REALLY nice to team up with Yunikki and kit out your Father and Uncle with some magic-resistant armour...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 10, 2017, 07:48:25 pm »

Cleaning and a proposal

Well, they may have neglected stating some working hours, but you might as well get to work. You take your sword and shield, and notice something's... off about your shield. The part where the bog unicorn nuzzled is covered in a very short bits of moss. It's green and very soft, and it doesn't look like it'll do anything bad to the shield. And, of course, trying to scratch it off proves to be nearly impossible and rather dirty work. You'd need some proper tool for that. You shrug and go outside, after telling your father you're off to work. He mumbles something, being somewhat dazed from waking, but he gives a thumbs up in-between his yawns, so he probably understood. The moment you step outside you notice that there are a lot less people here in the morning than anywhere else in the city. It's honestly weird to see the streets completely empty, and it gives you a lonely feeling. That changes as soon as you reach the more reputable parts of town, however, as people of all sorts are wandering already. Dogs, too. Many people seem to be walking their dogs, bringing them to the patches of nature so they can relieve themselves. It's usually little more than a small square containing a tree, but it's preferable to just having it on the street. On that note, you realize that there hasn't been any rain to warrant the puddles in the refugee districts.
Ew.

Most of the walk is uneventful. You can cut through quite easily from the market to the nobles' district. People don't even look up all that much when they see you, although some people still stare. You adjust some of the belts on your costume as it still makes you a little self-conscious, but it doesn't really bother you that much. In the nobles' district, there is absolutely nothing walking around. Most of the windows are closed, as well. It's a bit odd, does nobody do anything in the morning here? When you reach the tower, you see the door has grown a face that is currently intoning your name as you come closer.
Apparently, people HAVE been busy in the morning. You open the door and walk through, too tired to really care about the door's opinion on the matter. It grunts a little, but it doesn't seem that affected by your action. Looking around, nothing seems too out of place, apart from a small bed of flowers in the left side of the room. You need to get your cleaning supplies, but meanwhile...
Your lizard and your mouse are on clean-up duty for the flowers. They tear into it, ripping the flowers out of the stone and mulching them with their teeth. You'll clean up the compost when you get to the bottom. As you go upstairs, some new faces are seen in the tower. Men in white robes are experimenting with a collection of animal parts on the floor for necromancy and similar things. They wore strange bird-masks, but seemed quite harmless as they moved around the room. One of them stops to stare at you from behind his staring mask. It creeps you right the hell out, as those masks are a bit... creepy, when you look at them.

When you reach the top, the door is already open. Kasimor is working behind his desk, and doesn't even look up when you enter the room. It looks like he's writing something, quite furiously from the look of things. Eventually, you cough to get his attention. He doesn't react, but he does speak to you, while still writing his letter. With a disinterested voice, he tells you to get your supplies from the closet with the mirror on it, and to disregard anything the mirror displays. You find it an odd statement, but you walk towards the cabinet anyways. When you stand in front of the mirror, however, it becomes clear why you shouldn't pay attention to what's displayed. A disturbing reflection of you is visible, with red, swollen flesh and sharp teeth poking through the skin. You make a noise in disgust, and open up the cabinet. Inside, you have a mop, a full bucket of clear water (somehow?), a dustpan, and an ordinary broom. They look rather simple, mostly. You also spot a sponge inside the water bucket. You shrug, and put most of the stuff on your back, using your ample behind to store most things. You carry the bucket yourself, however. Wouldn't want to spill any water of Kasimor's carpets. When you close the cabinet again, the mirror shows you a different image. It looks like you, if you were ten years younger. Your hair's in pigtails, and you look really cute. The outfit's a bit strange though, as you never, ever wore a ballgown.

You decide to start working from the top of the tower, and to then go to the bottom. Your first stop is the room with the aquarium and massive humidity. There's very little to sweep here, so you just mop up some of the puddles, of which there are very few. The ceiling, however, could likely use a dusting. You crawl up the wall, holding your broom, and then begin sweeping the ceiling while hanging from it. It still makes you a little uncomfortable to hang upside down like this, as you're working against gravity itself using little more than what must be existing magic in your system. Normal spiders hang using the hairs on their legs, but your legs are covered in smooth carapace. And yet, you can hang just fine. It's probably best not to think about it too hard. There isn't that much dust here, though, as the humidity seems to prevent too much of a dust build-up. The stone is damp, and you have little more work than cleaning out a spider's nest in a corner. The little guy sprints away into a hole in the wall, and you don't care enough to pursue it. As long as it doesn't make its webs in visible spots, you're fine with 'em. You're finished fairly soon. This couldn't have taken more than around half an hour. You crawl back to the ground, and shake your head to clear away the dizziness from hanging upside-down. One floor down, seven to go.

The animal room is a downright mess. The rabbit/turtle thing from yesterday is gone, but it left quite a collection of scales, from the looks of it. There's also the piercing aroma of dung in this room, and you find a couple piles of the stuff. You use your dustpan to gather them, and throw them in the bin in the back of the room. Cleaning up poop isn't as bad as it sounds, apart from the smell. Just a couple nuggets you really don't want to touch, is all. After that, the real work begins. There's dust everywhere, so you start with that. You start by scrubbing the ceiling, so you can gather it off the floor later. The dust buildup isn't nearly as bad as on the ground, but it still needs to happen. After loosening the whole ceiling, taking the occasional break to deal with being upside down, you get to work getting all the dust in one pile. You start humming a little song that doesn't really go anywhere as you gather it up in a corner. You'll have to come back with a bin or something, later. You were about to start mopping the floors, when one of bird mask fellows appears. He walks close to you, soundlessly. He wears a long, covering cloak, obscuring most of his features, and the long beak of his mask is very distracting. You keep an eye on his, and then he gestures for you to follow him. Considering that he's a wizard, and you're a cleaner, you decide to just follow him. It's probably important.

He brings you to the room where a group of his colleagues are at work with animal parts. They all work soundlessly, the only sounds being the billowing of their cloaks and the occasional sawing of flesh or bone. It's a very, very creepy situation. The one who brought you here coughs, and reveals that he is either very young, or a woman. The rest look you over, to what end is a mystery to you. Eventually, one of them speaks. He is wearing a darker robe than the others, and his mask is slightly different, bearing a greenish tinge and a shorter beak. His voice is rather raspy.
You have been dabbling in interesting things. We would like some small samples from you. We will heal you up, and you will be very well compensated.
He has already grabbed a scalpel, and his colleagues are standing all around you. This went from creepy to nightmarish.

Try to leave.
You don't need to answer to this. You don't ask people for things while holding a scalpel.

Politely refuse.
You've got work to do, and you're not entirely comfortable with giving out pieces of yourself.

Accept the offer.
This is free extra payment, for pretty much nothing! Not to mention, they could help you with your magic or even removing your mark.

Other.

FORUM RUNNERS
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:23:47 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 10, 2017, 07:57:20 pm »

Ask them why they want samples and what they want samples of.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 10, 2017, 08:04:09 pm »

Ask them why they want samples and what they want samples of.
if it sounds somewhat reasonable, accept.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 10, 2017, 08:28:25 pm »

This could be an opportunity, and we could use some extra funds, but... We are here on other business and it is best to draw a distinction between cleaning staff and experiments! Politely decline and suggest that you might be interested if they went through the proper channels for finding volunteers but you have cleaning to do and can't afford to be getting caught up with other matters while your are about your work.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 10, 2017, 10:39:16 pm »

This could be an opportunity, and we could use some extra funds, but... We are here on other business and it is best to draw a distinction between cleaning staff and experiments! Politely decline and suggest that you might be interested if they went through the proper channels for finding volunteers but you have cleaning to do and can't afford to be getting caught up with other matters while your are about your work.
And ask them what they want.  If it's just silk, we can give some of that, right?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 10, 2017, 11:18:14 pm »

Ugh, I suppose, but it is still an awkward breach of professionalism.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 11, 2017, 06:17:35 pm »

Cleaning

What KIND of samples?
The birdmasks look to eachother for a while. The silence is deafening, but eventually, the one with the shorter beak gives an answer:
Everything. Blood, tissue, webbing, piece of carapace, hair. There would be no pain, and we will heal you before you wake.
You blink. You blink again.
This is not to your liking?
Look... I'm here to work as a cleaner. If you really want some tissue samples from people, go through the proper ways, and ask for volunteers.
You are completely unique. There are no volunteers that match you.
...Fine then. I'll give you some webbing and a bit of my hair, but you keep those scalpels away from me! I need to get back to work soon, anyhow.
These will help, but we need more. Your payment can be whatever you desire. I noticed your skills in necromancy below, we can teach you more. The Order of the Blighted Beak know much, drider.
...I'll think about it. I need to get back to work.
The masked people bow their heads for a short while, and give you the space to leave. They don't even want your web or hair if you don't include the whole package. You shrug, and get back to work.

Your mop is exactly here you left it, and you continue the work. It's a little different from cleaning wood, you must say, but you can adapt quite easily. In fact, it's somewhat easier, for the most part. You also notice something very peculiar about the water bucket. The surface is completely unchanging. No matter how much water you use, the amount does't seem to change. Apparently, almost everything in the tower is magical. It certainly adds to the ease of work. Considering there are only two empty cages here, you're finished quite fast. You decide to give a quick rinse of the cages, as well, using the piece of cloth. The water is enchanted to be permanently soapy. It's a pretty shitty soap,  however. You shrug, clean the cages, and move on to the next. Just as you finish, a man walks into the room carrying a lantern glowing with a purple light. He raises an eyebrow at you for a bit, but then moves on and places the lantern on a table. You're already moving to the next floor before you see what he's going to do. You reach the kitchen area. A few people are already hard at work, cooking up a storm. Literally, from the looks of it. While they are with two, most of the pots and pans are floating around, begin carried by small clouds. Some of the food is getting cooked by tiny flashes of lightning. You are honestly too scared to even dare wander in there, so you're just going to do the kitchen when nobody's using it. You duck under an errand kitchen knife on the way out, and move to the herbology department. This room is... A mess. There's dirt everywhere, and many, many flowers are here.
Best get to brushing.

It takes nearly an hour to finish sweeping all the dirt in one place, because of all the tables you need to work under and the different corners. Fortunately, you can put it in bin that's already in the room. There's still plenty of little bits left, but you'd just spread it out over the floor if you tried to sweep it some more. You just get to mopping. That doesn't take as long as the sweeping, though. less pushing, and just some water is enough. It must look damn odd to see a drider as a cleaning girl, though. Every person that went up stops to stare at you. You just continue working. You need to get these dirt-stains out, anyway. Also, getting out of the room should really be the number one priority. Some of these plants look hungry...
Eventually, you finish up, mostly. The ceiling would be next if it wasn't covered in strange, purple moss. You aren't even going to risk this without asking someone who knows something about it. That's how people end up inside plant dimensions or something similar. You give the walls a dusting, though. That goes easy enough, at least. It goes a lot easier when you can crawl on the wall, at least. This is honestly really boring. You can just get into a rhythm, at least. Eventually, you finish the plant room, and now you get to the room with all the bird masks.
You just move to the bottom of the tower. Your minions should be done by now. Actually, they probably finished a long while ago.  You should check up on them.

As you expected, they have torn the flowerbed apart, and even brought all the little clumps together in a pile. You summon them towards you, and the both of them occupy a shoulder each. You gather up the plants in your arms, and bring them upstairs for the herbology bin. It looked specific for the plant matter. It's a bit of a rough climb, and your minions need to pick up the errand strands bits that fall out of the pile. You already know it looks adorable and you hate it.
Still smiling, though. While you were on the way up, however, you notice a familiar face walking next to you. She looks a little winded, but Meandra looks as happy as always. She's also carrying some bits you dropped, and doesn't say anything. She just beams happiness out to you. You reach herbology soon enough, and dump the pile in the bin. Said bin is very full, right now, but it's not your responsibility right now.
So! How are you liking the cleaning job? If you think it's boring now, don't worry. Things get a little heated from time to time.
People have asked me for tissue samples today, Meandra, I think I understand that.
Oh! The Order talked to you? They have a vow of silence, you know. Well, kinda. They can only say what is needed, and their masters can speak to other people. I had a friend that used to be a member, but he quite cuz they started to creep him out. They're really good necromancy though, some of the best. Did you know that they formed after the corpse-plague went around from the deadlands? Apparently, some parts started rotting a bit worse than others, and some nasty plague went around the borderlands. That was a long time ago, though, so now they just spend time finding new ways to take care of people and how to deal with necromancy. You know, I think those bird masks are just kinda cool, I would join but I think I wouldn't be able to just keep quiet for the rest of my life or nuthin'.
That's abundantly clear, yeah. How do you know so much, anyways? Did you study at the orc tower?
I'm preparing to! I'm following a master right now, so I'm well-prepared for the studies. I'm actually from the dwarf cities, originally. The upper layer ones, of course, not a lot of ordinary humans in the deeps. I traveled a lot, but we've been in this city for a while, probably because of the tower. Uh, anyway, I'll leave you to it, because I actually need to take care of the flowers. Kick-ass job on the cleaning, by the way! Bye!
You wave a little goodbye to the excitable girl. She's really endearing, with her massive round glasses.

It takes around an hour and a half to clean the average floor, but some take longer than others. You are likely to spend almost three or more hours in the alchemy room, and the necromancy floor is covered in blood and similar liquids. Quite hard to clean. For the sake of having lunch at a decent time, you should ask if you should fix the face-door. After that, you can go out to lunch, probably. You go upstairs, and ask mr. Kasimor what, exactly, the deal is with the door. He explains it was a strange ritual, and that he expects it to be scraped off. He can fix any damage to the door, so you can go wild. You smile from ear to ear.

You wipe some sweat off your brow. That was some work! The eyes died easy enough, and scraping them off wasn't that difficult, but the mouth! Goodness, it even bit your sword a couple of times, and it kept changing position. After around ten minutes of trying to catch it (and having to awkwardly let wizards enter while you're murdering their door) you finally manage to get a good strike in. It seems to be reeling, and you're pretty glad it doesn't have lungs to scream with. You scrape off the "lips", and use the pommel of your sword to knock out some of the teeth. Eventually, it stops moving entirely, and falls out of the floor. The facial features disappear into smoke, and you feel quite satisfied.
Now you should get some dinner. You have 88 coins.

Go to the Inn.
People will remember your little "episode", but you know you can get some decent grub, at least. As you know the prices, you can get some food for 3 coins

Go to the brothel
You can ask people what they would suggest when people deal with that sort of trauma. Not to mention, you could get some fruit there. They seem to like sweet things, from what you could tell. Their balcony's are filled with grapes and apples.

Go to the Order
They might not be there when you get back, and the offer of training your necromancy is quite tempting... .

Other
Not eating will make you a little grumpy, but you won't exactly starve. This will prevent you from spending money.

FORUM RUNNERS
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: The forum runner competition is ending in the next update. I will appoint a winner in that time, but I would like it if you could properly describe the ritual and transformation. You aren't forced to do this, but it would be much appreciated. Not to mention, I will add the monster to a future update.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:26:24 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 11, 2017, 06:23:38 pm »

Eh, Might as well go see if the order is still intent on removing bits, if what we now know is true they can probably be trusted, But it's best to tell them we are a virgin AND interested in learning more about necromancy before they get going.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #357 on: February 11, 2017, 06:40:14 pm »

I've decided this will be a best of three competition. So if TankKit wins thats game. Otherwise it will be down to one more trial.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 12, 2017, 05:53:35 pm »

Realm of Death

You sigh. You should just go ahead and donate some bits and pieces, if they really are a respected order. You're still not entirely comfortable with the idea of letting people cut you while you're asleep, but some necromancy will come in very useful down the line. You enter the wizard tower again, and walk up the stairs. Slowly, as if the idea will become any more enticing if you think about it long enough. When you reach the third floor, the bird-masks are still at work, having acquired more flesh than when they started, somehow. They managed to create a whole torso, and added an arm. The whole thing is covered in stitches. The members of the Order are all touching it with a finger, and flooding the construct with magical energy, from the looks of it, causing the arm to twitch and move. The leader is keeping his distance, and is watching with his arms crossed. The arm twitches, and even cracks. Eventually, it starts flailing around, breaking the arm outright against the torso and it then locks in place, pointing at a beak-head right behind the torso. The darker-colored one taps one foot, and all the beaks stop touching the construct, causing it to instantly turn limp. They all turn to him. Some of them stare at you with their masks, but the main man has not noticed you yet. He points to one of the people that was touching the corpse, and that man comes forward. They put their foreheads against each-other, and a purple glow appears between them. The light grows in intensity, until you have to cover your eyes. Then, a crack of thunder goes through the room. You give a groan of pain, but the light has stopped. You stop covering your face, and sort of wish you kept our vision covered, as all of the beakfaces are staring at you. They seem to be waiting for you to speak.

...Alright... I've been thinking and I think I'm going to let you... do what you want. I need lessons in necromancy, and you seem like my best shot for that.
The man with the darker colors nods, and walks towards you. He holds out his hand, apparently expecting you to shake. He gestures you to come closer with the same hand, and you eventually take his hand, recoiling slightly at the texture of his glove. It's rough, but there's a gross film of... something over it. The other beak-heads move closer, and begin surrounding you. You sigh, and make some webbing by rubbing your hind legs together as some silk comes out of your behind. You always feel self-conscious when you create webbing while people watch. It's still coming out of your butt, after all. The beakheads gather it up after a bit, and after you stop they spool it around a stick. After that, they take a swabbing stick and put it close to your mouth. You'd feel a lot more comfortable if these people could just make a single sound, but that's not in the cards, apparently. They collect some of your spit with a vigorous swabbing at the back of your mouth. You feel a little pulling on your hair, and you can hear the tell-tale snip of a pair of scissors. You see one of the beaks with a handful of your hair. It must be quite a bit, actually, but before you can complain, that same student grabs a syringe filled with a clear liquid. He lets a bit of the product squirt out, most likely to avoid any air from being injected in you, but it mostly just intimidates you. You don't know how comfortable you feel about getting injected with some liquid you never even heard of. Two people are holding out your arm, and it takes every bit of self-control to not struggle out of it. The needle enters your skin, and you can feel a tingle spread wherever the liquid goes. Your arm goes numb first, and you feel dizzy as the tingle continues. You feel bile in your throat, and you drool a little as you lose muscle control. Your breathing becomes deeper and labored, until your vision goes black. You feel yourself falling, but the landing never comes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This place is dark. There is no sun, but your eyes seem to adapt to the darkness. Eventually, you manage to look around you, and see nothing but white sandy material. You scoop up a small bit, and it feels like very rough sand. As you look at your hand, you also notice that you're as naked as the day you were born. This would be concerning , but there's nobody around and the temperature, while still cool, isn't uncomfortable. You blink a little more, and as your vision slowly improves, you see a path, lines with human skulls, of all things. This place seems absurd. You look behind you, and see a pure black mass of nothing behind you. Clearly, there's only one way to go.
Forward.

The skull-path is quite creepy, all things considered. The utter darkness is intimidating, but there's absolutely nothing but sand and the skulls. You keep following the path for... a long time. Maybe an hour, maybe a day. Your perception of time is completely out of whack, but you don't feel tired from the long walk. There's still nothing but skulls and darkness. You kick one of the skulls over, which doesn't seem to give any type of reaction other than falling over. Suddenly, something different appears in the distance. A purple glow in the distance. It would be a faint light, but after such a long time without light, it's like a beacon. It's also right on the path, so that makes this even easier to choose. Eventually, you see a purple flame, on top of a tower of some sort. When you reach the bottom of the tower, there is a door and a hole in the wall. At the very end, you see another purple bit of fire. You try to reach out for it, until you hear a THUNK. When you pull your arm back, you see that you are missing a hand. The stump leaks  little blood.
Ah.

It hurts, but not a whole lot. You don't feel the same sense of panic you'd expect from an injury like this. Looking inside the hole, you see your light-blue hand, limp and dead. Still need to touch that flame, one way or another.

RIDDLE TIME!
Instead of choosing from a list of options, you now need to find a way to touch the flame in some way. While you have nothing in the way of items, you still have your magic, wits and strength at your disposal. Everything that is proposed will be attempted, unless it seems too dangerous to try at first. In order, from least to most dangerous, the different proposals will be tested.

Stats

FORUM RUNNERS
WINNER IS: TANKKIT!
Additional stuff inside the spoiler!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:29:30 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 12, 2017, 06:34:58 pm »

Well the obvious would be to Animate your hand and touch it with that...
It would probably be a good idea to throw a glob of webbing to test how the mechanism reacts...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 216