Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184919 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2017, 08:47:05 am »

After a drought of suggestions, the great Fist-bumb demon appears and gives you, well, a fist-bump.

No really, i won't continue without SOMETHING to keep going, unless you want me to just let things play out without your interaction.
If that happens, we're switching perspective over to a character that's actually doing things until the end of the night.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:02:12 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2017, 08:50:29 am »

Prepare for the raid.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2017, 12:45:57 pm »

Make sure our team is well equipped, and that there is something to cook in the morning for our team's breakfast. Poison our sword using the poison box. If we have any time left, sleep.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2017, 06:02:47 pm »

Visits

You decide you'd best prepare for the raid tomorrow. You most certainly don't look forward to it, but you need to keep up some appearances, after all. You'll try to get some bolas ready, for non-lethally taking people down, and figure out how to convince your squad to not kill people.
I guess you could actually take part in the raid, but that would be evil. You're not an evil person, no sir, not you.
Are you?

You try to sleep with that in mind. it certainly keeps you awake for a while, but eventually, sleep wins the battle. It's a rough, restless sleep, filled with dreams. You feel like you're falling with no end in sight, as strange, abstract visions appear before you. An old man on a warpath, a blinking moon and something...
Something else entirely.
When this sight flies before you, the falling stops. Your legs are broken, your body bruised and shattered. There is a dull pain, as if it was there for an eternity, and around you is nothing but an eternal black, stretching far into infinity, and monsters. monsters of impossible size and shapes, forming shapes you couldn't even imagine as they twist and transform from shape to shape. Only at ground level are they stationary, forming a hulk of flesh, metal and bone. A latch seems to fall open, and it slowly comes down as tendrils of gore keep it in place. One by one, they snap and reabsorb themselves inside the mass and eventually you can see inside the hulk. Inside is a horrible white light. It blinds you, and you twist your head away, awakening pains you couldn't imagine. Your white hair falls before you as you twist your crippled, decaying body away from that horrid light. Crawling on crippled, broken arms as nothing but fear surrounds you.
The last thing you see as you try to escape that light, is a shadow.

You awaken with a jolt. Your heart is hammering in your throat as you try to catch your breath. You still feel aches throughout your body, a cruel memory of whatever nightmare you just awoke from. You try to swallow the lump in your throat and get up. Whatever that was, you hope you never have to see it again. You're not ready to just fall asleep again after that experience, so you decide to get some work done. You put your sword in the poison-box and go look for something in the way of breakfast. You're quite distracted as you wander throughout camp, and after some wandering you decide that some bread will have to do. You find a decent collection of loaves and even grab a block of cheese. You essentially steal it, and bring it inside your tent. You crawl back inside your mat and try to sleep, hoping to avoid nightmares. Karliah is still sleeping soundly under a small mountain of furs. This gives you something to chuckle about as you close your eyes. You don't even reach sleep when you are woken again.
Your strings have gone off. You get out of your mat and remove the sword from the box of poison. It's dripping some poison, so whoever wants to try something is going to regret it. You wait, ready to strike, and then the opening flap of the tent softly opens. Slowly, gingerly, the female one of the twins enters the tent, freezing in place when she notices you are up and already holding your sword. She begins shivering a little, but quickly regains her composture.
A little lost, are we? You say condescendingly.
The short girl reaches for her own sword, and says: No... I'm right where I need to be, bitch.
You take a step closer and lift your sword in a threatening manner
Watch your tongue, now. Wouldn't want to lose it.
She quickly tries to draw her sword, but your slice her hand before she can manage. She almost instantly drops her sword, and begins to scream in pain.Clutching her hand,  she sprints out, faster than even you can follow. You decide to leave her be. You'll be out of here soon enough, anyways.

You reset your strings and go to sleep again. This time, the sleep is dreamless and calm. When you wake up, nothing seems to be all that different. You gather up everyone you work with. Through Geldstone's efforts, it's as easy as yesterday, and soon enough everyone is enjoying bread and cheese. The bread is a little dry, but the cheese distracts from that fact. Then comes the time for questions. You stand in the middle of the circle they formed, and ask them if they are ready for the raid tomorrow. Everybody is honestly kind of fine, fortunately. They've been here long enough to gather up what they wish. Still, some requests are made. Midas, in-between his rhymes, asks for a sickle, of all things. Yunikki asked for a large collection of spider silk, so she could improve her armor and Thorgal wanted a private audience.
You could easily take care of the spider silk request, and Yunikki happily got to work on the inner layer of her armor. This is the first time you could see her out of her armor, and she does not care about being seen in just her underwear. She wears bandages over her chest, and a simple loincloth other than that. Still, you've got better things to do. You send out Geldstone to find a decent sickle and then you give Thorgal his private audience.

I needed to talk to you, Sydney.
....I gathered that. Say your piece, Thorgal.
You must get out of here. This place is not meant for you, and I fear that it soon might be.
What is that supposed to mean?
I am not part of these bandits by choice, but there is something here that is... wrong. Destiny has brought me here so I may find and destroy it. Until i have found it, I must remain. You, however, have no place here. I can tell you aren't like the rest of these degenerates.
You remain silent. You honestly don't know if you should put up some bravado, or admit you don't want to be here at all.
I want you to wait until the raid, and use the confusion to escape with whoever would be willing to follow you. Many people merely wish guidance in their lives. You could give it to them. If you need a place to go, go north to the sea. Find a woman named Aricia, she will help guide you and who-ever you took with you.
And why should I trust you on this?
Because, like i said. Some people need guidance, some less than others.

He turns away from you, and walks back to the group.
You have the rest of the day. What now? You have to remember that there is someone out there with a very pained hand, so you should be wary...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:11:13 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2017, 06:35:47 pm »

Tell Thorgal that we appreciate the sentiment, but we can't flee now for fear that the boss will punish our village in retaliation. We ARE a good person, and protecting the people we love is more important than our own freedom or mental health. We must constantly remind ourselves that if we wind up having to do something nasty tonight. We can can consider escape once the clan moves to Orc country, making it somewhat harder for Vullf to march troops on our home on a vengeful whim. Also, spending more time with the squad should allow us to convince more of them to run away with us.

We would like to someday return home without being branded as a criminal, and wherever we are raiding might be close enough to our village for news to spread. Try to find a helmet or mask to conceal our face for the raid tonight. If anybody asks we want to be more intimidating. That way if we do have to do something evil to survive and fit in, we have some plausible deniability. I mean its not like there are many Driders running around in this part of the world, I'd imagine, but it would be better than nothing.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:37:26 pm by Weirdsound »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 05, 2017, 03:16:13 am »

Tell Thorgal that we appreciate the sentiment, but we can't flee now for fear that the boss will punish our village in retaliation. We ARE a good person, and protecting the people we love is more important than our own freedom or mental health. We must constantly remind ourselves that if we wind up having to do something nasty tonight. We can can consider escape once the clan moves to Orc country, making it somewhat harder for Vullf to march troops on our home on a vengeful whim. Also, spending more time with the squad should allow us to convince more of them to run away with us.

We would like to someday return home without being branded as a criminal, and wherever we are raiding might be close enough to our village for news to spread. Try to find a helmet or mask to conceal our face for the raid tonight. If anybody asks we want to be more intimidating. That way if we do have to do something evil to survive and fit in, we have some plausible deniability. I mean its not like there are many Driders running around in this part of the world, I'd imagine, but it would be better than nothing.

+1
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 05, 2017, 02:56:12 pm »

+1

+1

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2017, 06:56:33 pm »

On the Case of Identity

You put your hand on Thorgal's shoulder, and pull him back into a private area. He follows meekly, and once you're there again, he crosses his arms and waits for you to say your piece.
I appreciate the offer, Thorgal, really, I do. But I won't do it.
He casts his gaze downward, clearly disappointed. He gives a small grunt before he speaks again:
...Why? You can easily leave during the raid. Vvulf cannot pursue one lone drider and her entourage, it wouldn't be practical enough for him.
The village I'm protecting isn't exactly mobile, Thorgal. I'm here because Vvulf promised that he will leave it alone if I joined him. If I leave now, he'll take it out on my town. If I have to take a couple hits to save my friends and family, then so be it.
You call having to murder innocent people "hits"?
I'm not exactly planning to kill anybody at all. And I'll be out of here if we reach orc country, then he can't retaliate.
...Fine. I see your point. I don't agree, but I see your damn point. He sighs, clearly annoyed.
Besides, with some more time, I can get more people on my side. The more the merrier, no?
Alright. Talk with them about it, however. The worst mistakes happen through assumptions. Believe me, I'd know.

You decide against asking for details on that, and just return to the group. Considering that the amount of requests was unbelievably low, you decide you need to get some work done. You're going to have to raid, and even if you don't do anything, you are going to need some deniability. You need something to cover up that pretty face of yours. Yo head over to The Scrapyard, the nickname given to the miscellaneous loot piles the bandits set up. Anything that isn't food, weapons or (complete) armor sets is thrown on here. You honestly feel like you could end up with tetanus just by looking at some of these things, but there are some choice its and pieces here. Not to mention, this is the only place where you could find a helmet that isn't part of an entire armor set. You are very sure that Vvulf intends for you to wear this rather revealing leather armor, if only to show off the tattoos. Finding something to cover the face with shouldn't be a problem. You begin to scrounge through the pile, throwing aside pieces of cloth too ripped to be of use, and making sure not to cut yourself on the collections of rust that happens to be in the shape of a blade. Eventually, you find the first potential prize in the mountain of trash. A bucket helm, with the ragged remains of a feather sticking out. It's quite heavy, and your visibility is limited, especially considering six of your eight eyes are blocked (they are mostly superfluous, but it's still a little strange to be without them). That might end up being a problem, so you continue searching.

Eventually, you find a leather helm of which the back end seems to extend to the point that it reaches your shoulders. In addition, it has a loose bit of fabric in front, that can be hooked to the back end of the helmet. The end result is a mask, and something to hide your hair with. You even see some tatters of a very thin material that would further obfuscate the features of the wearer over the sight-holes, but that is long since gone. It doesn't give nearly as much defense, and and you it feels very stuffy if you wear it for a while. Of course, you could make alterations, but you're not sure how much more this helmet can take. The stitching is a little loose, and the bolts holding it together are also looking haggard. The bucket helm looks a whole lot better, in comparison, especially considering the metal isn't rusty.

Your choice will have to be made here, and you've got a day to fill. You've got to take care of quite a few things, not to mention...
You're going to have to eat a meal with a lady you slashed and poisoned.
That could get weird.

A bit of a short update, but the story will pick up again in a couple of updates, don't you worry.
The "bandit camp arc" has been a bit of a bore, and I'm sorry for that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:12:06 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 05, 2017, 07:34:23 pm »

Go with the leather helm. The idea is concealment. We should hopefully be avoiding much fighting anyway.

Also, I'd explain what miss-stabs-alot did to Laiko and Geldstone. If they think she needs to die, I say we call her out at lunch and eat her. If killing (another) lieutenant would be a bad idea, tell the squad to lie in wait after lunch, jump her, rough her up, and break a few bones. We ate the dude who tried to rape us no problem, so I'm guessing doing cruel things out of vengeance is not out of character, and I'm pretty sure she was trying to kill us.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2017, 07:58:56 pm »

Go with the leather helm. The idea is concealment. We should hopefully be avoiding much fighting anyway.

Also, I'd explain what miss-stabs-alot did to Laiko and Geldstone. If they think she needs to die, I say we call her out at lunch and eat her. If killing (another) lieutenant would be a bad idea, tell the squad to lie in wait after lunch, jump her, rough her up, and break a few bones. We ate the dude who tried to rape us no problem, so I'm guessing doing cruel things out of vengeance is not out of character, and I'm pretty sure she was trying to kill us.

As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2017, 02:27:22 am »

I say go with the bucket helmet whatever anyone else wants to do (unless they want the other helmet), because I'd rather we didn't get Knocked Out/Maimed/Killed.

As a seperate thing to the thing I first mentioned, I would suggest only fighting in the raid if we're attacked, or we are under extreme pressure to do so. Being watched by Vvulf, for example.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2017, 04:06:06 am »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 06, 2017, 05:38:02 pm »

Buckets and Forgiveness

You pick the bucket helmet, for added protection. You put it on, and try to get used to the weight and the small loss in vision. It's far from comfortable, but it's better than the alternative. Now, on to the rest of the day, you need to figure out how to deal with the female one of the twins. You figure your group would know the best way to go about it, and wander over to where they were earlier. It's getting close to lunch, and some of the cooks are already gathering up ingredients. Apparently, it's going to be roast pig and apples. That's a fairly dangerous game with these idiots, so you'll take care of it after your discussion. Upon arriving at the group, you see Midas is up to his tricks again, having started a fast-paced song. Yunikki and Nakir are performing a dance, although it would be more accurate to say that Yunikki is dancing and Nakir is trying to keep up. He dances like a rhino, but at least he's a jolly rhino. Some people have joined in, and others are simply making merry by conversing or clapping with the music. Thorgal is keeping to himself, mostly just looking at the dancers. Some strangers have joined in as well, most of them are dancing and two of them are playing a strange game with a candle. They have to try and tap each-other's fingers through the flame, which seems like it would end up quite bad. 

Still, not your problem. You find Laiko chatting away with Geldstone and Howard. You couldn't catch what their discussion was, as it stopped when you drew closer. You explain to them that the female twin tried to attack you in the night. Laiko look skeptical as you tell your story.
She didn't have her sword out when she came in? She wasn't planning on you if that's the case. I'd assume a threat or perhaps she'd just steal something. I think she just tried to improvise when you were awake and pointing a blade at her. I suggest you leave her be, for now. That poison will serve as enough of a lesson.
I was planning on beating her up with people.
You've already killed a lieutenant. Self-defense or not, you DON'T want to make that a habit. Vvulf will notice, and if Vvulf notices that you've been killing his messengers, he'll kill you. Trust me, you don't want to mess with this any further.
Geldstone shares Laiko's sentiments, so you decide against doing anything else to the Twin. You've got food to cook, anyhow.

When you get to the kitchens, they've already got the fires going, but they are far too warm. You tell them to lower the flames a bit, while you check on the pigs themselves. They look fine, surprisingly, although they're a bit thinner than you'd have liked. Still, there's enough pigs to feed quite a few people, so you make sure that the spits are put through the pigs properly and that the poles on which to hang them are adjustable enough. Then, you convince some schmuck to stay there and turn the spit for about half an hour. To avoid the waste of some proper meat, you stick around to make sure they don't leave their post. To keep yourself busy, you check on the apples. The idea here was applesauce, but there isn't nearly enough sugar to make it taste good. You tell them to make it baked apple slices, instead. That'll work better with less sugar, in your opinion. Then, you go back to the pigs after half an hour, and tell them to up the heat. The pig's skin begins to crackle and the smell is downright heavenly.

Based on the extensive meal, you guess that the raid will start in the morning, before the usual lunch-time. You'd better get a full night's sleep, if you want to be on top of your game. You go to lunch as the pigs are finished up. You see that there is not chair missing, meaning that Lucius rarely ate with the rest of the lieutenants. You might just avoid that little talk if you're lucky. As you wait for lunch to be served, the female twin sits next to you. She is wearing a bandage over the hand you struck with your sword. She says nothing for a while, but you keep your eye on her. After a little bit, she begins talking with a strangely upbeat tone.
Hey! Good to see you here. I thought you wouldn't show up after last night.
...why would I do that?
Most people don't dare show themselves after a little scrap, even if they won. I respect that you just showed up anyways. My name Jack, by the way. Short for Jacqueline.
What is your game here?
I... Kind of wanted to give my apology? I can understand you striking me with your sword after I just kinda showed up in your tent, but I really just wanted to talk. I panicked after you had your sword out already and, uh... bravado is kind of my THING.
You squint in suspicion at her. She seems undaunted in your attempt to melt her with a stare.
Look, i get that you don't trust me right now, so lemme just tell you what I wanted to tell you then. Nobody's listening in on us, anyways. Vvulf wants to perform some kind of ritual after the raid, and my brother and I think it might be something really, really bad.
And you're telling this to me because?
You're the type of gal to take action, not to mention really hot, spider bits aside. Also, my brother doesn't like you, and I kinda wanna mess with him.

As she mentions said spider bits, she glances back to your abdomen. she cringes, and shakes her head, as if trying to dispel that little factoid from her mind. She's got some conflicting ideas, it seems.
You're not sure what to make of this lady. What exactly should you answer?
Also, for the sake of moving things along, you should also get your plans together on what to do for the rest of the day.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:12:51 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 07, 2017, 05:23:15 am »

Hmm... Not sure if I trust her... But if she does both fear and lust for us, she might make the ideal priest if we do go the benevolant god route. Also, does our character already have a sexual orientation? Even if she is completely straight, might be worth faking it to gain influence over another lieutenant. Faking interest in Jack can't be any harder than faking being evil to fit in with these bandits.

Regaurdless... I'm not sure she isn't messing with us. We can't test if all her words are true, but we can at least check how her claims about finding our spider bits hot stack up.

Tenderly and abruptly caress her face with one of our spider limbs. See if her reaction matches her words. If her brother is watching, gauge his reaction as well.

Tell her we don't think she has given enough to take action on, but that we will look into it. Tell her we will leave a strand of silk above the entrance of our tent if we find something out, in which case she can visit us again.

Talk to Vvulf next. See if we can get details on our role in the raid. Try to get him talking about his plans after the raid by asking what he would prefer for a victory feast, and what time he anticipates our return to camp so that we can have it ready by then.

Track Thorgal down and repeat what Jack said. Anything interesting we learn from Vvulf as well. It might mean something to his 'mission'.

Drill with the squad. If Vvulf tells us something useful about our role, drill with that purpose in mind. If he dosen't, just do the usual.

Once evening falls, track down the blind/handicap lady and see if she knows/is willing to tell us anything about Vvulf's ritual.

If we get anything useful from any of our meeting, and if we detected some desire in Jack's reaction to our test, hang some silk from the door of our tent. When Jack comes, tell her what we have learned. Also flirt just a bit, and imply that you have feelings for her brother as well, asking what his problem with us is.
(If we are going this route, Might as well see if we can get the package deal on the twins. Long term plan could be to break with Vvulf with both their followers and ours, and slowly transform them from a group of bandits to a benevolant cult with us as god.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:26:52 am by Weirdsound »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 07, 2017, 07:49:20 pm »

Final Meal

You decide to rub your front leg against her, carefully. She instantly freezes up, and begins to scrunch her face up a little. When you stop, she just shivers a little and then turns to her meal. She's biting her lower lip, and doesn't look displeased, but she did stop talking. Seems she's sincere in being really fricking confused about you. You see her brother across from you, and he looks at you with disgust, gritting his teeth. You chuckle, and turn to Jack.
You tell her you appreciate the information, but don't think there's enough to go on for right now. She just mumbles out that she doesn't know much more as she seems to tries to hide her blushing. You then tell her to enter your tent if you've got a strand of silk above the door, because you're going to check some things out today. She just nods, and tears into the pig meat she got. You do the same, now that the smell has hit your nostrils. The skin is crunchy, and the meat itself is wonderfully soft. It practically melts in your mouth, and you enjoy every second of it. While you had varied meals as an innkeeper's daughter, a properly roasted pig was usually just for the guests. This stuff right here....
Heaven.

After you enjoyed the meal, you wait for Vvulf to finish his meal. He eats quite a bit, and ends up eating quite a few ribs. He burps when the last bone is thrown onto his little pile, which is honestly the most human thing you've ever seen him do. He gets off his throne, presumably to return to his tent, and you try to interrupt him to ask about your duties. He spits before answering.
You are to follow me, then do what I ask of you. Then tell the rodents what I wish of them. What you do other than that is none of my concern.
He enters his tent, and you see another glimpse of his shaman. Now that you're closer, you see that the figure itself isn't white, just the armor they wear. An armor of bones, with a wolf's skull covering the face. A horrifying smell wafts from the tent, a strangely familiar scent to you, but it is far more horrid than anything you've smelled before. You resist the urge to retch as the tent-flap wafts some of the smell to you.
It's strange that he didn't want to talk any further. He seemed rather chatty the previous days. Based on the smell and shaman, however...
He might be preparing for something. You get an intense feeling of foreboding. You feel a little light-headed as the tent in front of you seems to grow larger, until the horse's skull over the entrance seems to stare right at you. After shaking your head, everything flashed back to normal. You rub your eyes (well, four of them)
You're not sleeping enough.

You gather up your squad, and begin the usual training. They seem work together fine, now, and you decide to put that to the test. You ask the local schmucks to try and defeat the different groups, using a numeric advantage. As Vvulf said, the random banditry is nothing interesting when it comes to fighting. Still, your squad fill sin where-ever things don't quite add up. Nakir is usually dealing with up to four people at same time, and Yunikki is downright unbeatable in her armor.
The main surprise here would be the bolas brothers. Now that you can see their teamwork in action, you realize they can take own a group more than four times their size if given the occasional bit of support. Communication is perfect, and they're perfectly in tune with each-other. A real dream team, these guys. After a bit of fighting, your squad turns out victorious, with few casualties. Harahkilaka was taken down, and was too far away from everyone to be rescued. You tell him off about his solitary habits, and praise the rest of squad on their fighting abilities. As the evening draws near, you manage to catch Thorgal before he leaves.
I found something out about Vvulf, I think it might have to do with what you're looking for.
Really? What is it? Did you see his shaman?
That too, but the main thing I heard was that Vvulf was planning ritual. Even his top dogs are concerned about it.
A ritual... That narrows it down a bit. Although, who are the "top dogs"?
The twins. At least, they introduced themselves as the top dogs when they first met me. Tried to do that shtick where they finish each other's sentences.
...Right. Well, if he won't tell his closest men... It might be a sacrifice ritual. But he could just grab a collection of bandits, and nobody would bat an eye. It must be something else.
He holds his knuckle against his mouth as he tries to think. Eventually, he shakes his head
There's too many things that he could do. A ritual removes some other suspicions, however. It won't be a large spell, or a resurrection scheme. You said you caught a glimpse of his shaman, right?
Yeah. Some guy wearing bones, uses a wolf's skull as a mask.
...Really? That's a northern priest. They don't come out this far south, it's forbidden. If a heretic is here for the ritual, this could be very bad. Tell me, did you notice anything unusual?
You strain to remember what happened right after you glimpsed the shaman. Something about... A skull? Smell?
Can't remember, but something feels off.

You finish up with the rest of the squad as the sun goes over the horizon. Everybody is to get some solid sleep in, so they're all ready for the raid.
Of course, that's just a guideline, not a rule. You need to talk to somebody. You rest in your tent for a while, and do some talking with Karliah. When night falls, you leave the tent in search of the crippled woman. She proves to be a bit of chore to find, but eventually, you find her. She has far less men around her this time, but Sven the half-giant is still with her. He gives a small wave at your approach, and gives a warm smile. The woman turns to you without even moving. She just moves her wheelchair with a strange, green glow around the wheels. Such casual magic is rare.
Welcome back, Sydney. You've come to interrogate an old woman, am I right?
True. I need to ask you about Vvulf.
She makes another croaky laugh. It sends a chill down your spine and you resettle your legs in discomfort. Then she speaks:
Even I don't know much about that man. If I can truly call him that. He's dabbling in things even I don't wish to touch.
Really now? Would those things have anything to do with the ritual I hear he has planned?
The twins have started talking, have they? Didn't think they had it in them... Although... Jack always had a weakness for blondes. Are you blonde, girl?
It was Jack, yes. Please answer the question.
So snippy! Tsk, tsk. Well, most likely those forbidden powers will be used for something quite sinister. but like I said, I won't touch upon the powers that he is seducing. Or is being seduced by, I suppose. The Gestation of the Aorta is nothing to trifle with.
The what?
She turns grimfaced for a second. The ever-present knowing smirk falters, and her blindfold lowers, as if she's frowning underneath it. Her voice is flat and almost... fearful.
We are far from the first to live on, or inside, the earth. Ancient ones used to rule the world, but now... they are dead, true, but they still dream. And their dreams are of conquest. They cannot return until time itself has died, but until then... They dream.
So Vvulf is worshiping a dead god? Doesn't sound like they'd give much power
They are far more than gods, child. They are shapeless beings made of pure power, chaos and... Well, evil would be too little a word for it.
This still doesn't give me a clue what he's planning.
What is an ocean planning? Where does the wind want to blow? How does a mountain wish to grow? Can anybody answer these questions?! No! I cannot help more because I know nothing! And for your sake, don't try to know more. It's a dangerous things to have insight of. I saw knowledge like that break men like twigs. Left the strongest men I ever saw into gibbering lunatics! She nearly shouts the last few sentences. She is breathing heavy by the end of it, and Sven has come closer to check up on her.
Fine, fine... What would you suggest, then?

Her voice takes on it's playful tone again. It's such jarring switch it makes you even more on edge
You should run. or maybe just stay. Driders are resistant to raw magic, after all. It's not for me to say what you can and cannot do. Still, visit me when you awaken. You'll know it when it happens. Sven?
Sven taps you on the shoulder and gives a nod to where you came from. You skitter back, to your tent. Once your arrive, you take a piece of silk, and start considering.
Should you hang it? And also, how will you deal with the march to the raid in the morning?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:13:29 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 216