Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184955 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2016, 04:35:05 am »

So we're just above grunt status. Good to know.
start making a name for ourselves by sparring with some of the others. Try to see how many it takes for them to overwhelm us, then work on countering that many people at the same time till we can reliably do so.
+1 seems like a good plan
+1
+1

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2016, 02:48:04 pm »

Dinner and a show

If you're going to be surrounded by about a thousand potential enemies, you need to learn how to deal with a multitude of them at the same time. You look around the campsite for a training area of some sort. After about an hour of searching, you gather that they don't have one of those. At best, you have a few open areas that have some blood clinging to the sand. You assume that will have to do. Fortunately, that hour of searching means that the entire camp is just about awake. The people that could had their breakfast, but most didn't. Supplies aren't quite so great that they have enough food for three meals a day. Based on some of the fights you saw breaking out, it's also not a good idea to try having breakfast if you aren't strong enough. The smaller, less skilled bandits get beaten down by the bigger ones. Power hierarchy is the name of the game.
So let's abuse it.

You decide to choose an open area close to the forest. You don't have wooden swords, and you don't quite have the know-how or time to carve them out. You do go rock-hunting, however, in order to create a few bolas. A few scouts kept watch on you from the trees. Vvulf must have given them the order to keep you in. Those crossbows look like they'd hurt. Despite the looming threat of a bolt, you manage to collect and create around five bolas, using your web and some hefty rocks. They aren't nearly as good as a proper pair of bolas, of course, but you can't really start making balls out of these rocks. They will have to suffice, and they probably will.
When you wander back to your chosen area, you see that a fight is already busy. Two smaller bandits are wrestling on the floor, grabbing and clawing at each-other like men possessed. You break up the fight by pulling one of them up by the scruff of his neck and keeping three feet on the other. Your body gives you amazing stability, so you can handle keeping one of the back with just one arm. You order them to stop struggling, and the one you're holding stops instantly. The one under your feet struggles a bit more, even attempting to kick the underside of your belly. To little effect, as he can hardly reach. A little squeeze with your legs makes him stop.

What are you morons fighting about? you ask, annoyance in your voice. One of them explains that they're having a squabble over a debt. One made a bet with the other, and now the loser doesn't want to pay. You explain to them that there are far more important things than an amount of money that couldn't even buy you a single carrot. You then tell them that they've been volunteered to spar with you. They don't look very excited about that. As you don't have the time to make a proper wooden training sword, this is going to be an unarmed fight. You may be more trained in sword & board, but the essentials are the same:
Hit them more than they hit you.
You order them to stand opposite to you, and that they must take you down. They look at each other, and then proceed to charge. Seeing how that is as predictable as it gets, and you've been dealing with Tommen's overly aggressive tactic for six years, you know how to deal with it. This time, you use both his momentum and yours to slam your fist in the stomach of the faster one of the two. He crumples together, and the other one attempts an attack from your side. You backhand his arm away, and then bumrush him. Due to your superior size, you topple him with ease, and stamp your legs down on his body. Perhaps a little harder than needed, but whatever.
You're pretty pissed anyway.

Too slow, and no teamwork. You won't be able to beat me like this... Catch your breath and try again!
While they rest up for a few minutes, you climb one of the lookout towers dotted at the edges of camp. The look-out yelps in surprise when you crawl close to him. You try to see some other schmuck. Eventually, you see one laying on the ground. You crawl over to that one and poke him with your leg. He yelps and crawls away with surprising amount of speed. He's a spirited one, you can tell. You order him to follow you and to explain why he was just lying there. He explains that after getting a stomach-punch and having your money stolen, he found that just staying down for a bit is generally better. "Makes for the difference between a pain and a shank, y'know". He's a surprisingly amiable guy. When you return, the two men you beat down look ready to go again. You tell them to stand together, and try to take you down.

As they groan on the ground, you have to admit that one more man makes all the difference. You took some solid hits, and you'll have a collection of bruises to show for it in the morning. Still, you won. Your spider body really gives you the edge in combat. A crowd has begun to form around you, making the next man to join the fight easy. You select one from the crowd, the one who was cheering loudly. He's a bit heavier-set than the rest, but otherwise average. The fight that follows is... brutal. You can easily win from the original two by this point, but the amiable guy is fast and clever while the newest one hits a lot harder. Your new armor plating's really doing some work, and you suspect it made the difference in getting a broken rib or not. You're fairly sure you're at your limit, but you decide to try another. The next one to join looked like more of the usual fair, but by this point they have wizened up to your size and shape. They all rushed together, attacking your human front and forcing you down with their combined weight. Call in your defeat very shortly after, although some of them keep hitting you. They eventually let up, though, allowing you to get your bearings. You clock one of the original two, the one that continued beating you, in his face before wandering off to rest. You've definitely got some bruises now, but you learn from it.

Opponents with little experience or tactics go down easy in a non-lethal fight, but enough numbers can overwhelm anything. Furthermore, your incredible stability and size give you the edge over most humanoids, not to mention your stinger (which you intentionally neglected to avoid killing someone).
Of course, in a real fight, it just takes one mistake to fall. You cannot possible handle more than three in that scenario, not unless you can perform some sort of trick.
While you don't quite feel like you could fight without getting seriously hurt, you do decide to reward your opponents with your freshly crafted bolas. You give an example of what they can do with the other one that kept hitting you after you gave up. He falls on his face, and clutches his bleeding nose as you free him. As you expected, you don't have quite the range or power as a proper bola, but it can certainly tangle someone up. Not to mention your webbing is hard to easily cut. You give them a quick lesson in how to throw it. They are quite excited about it, and the nice guy (the one you picked off the ground earlier.) is a quick learner. He seems to like you a lot, for some reason.

You can't possibly teach yourself how to deal with a horde of enemies consistently in just one day. That will come with experience. However, you've been fighting for multiple hours now, and you are hungry. The smell of food fills the air, and you feel hungry. A man bearing the same paint that marks him as a lieutenant tells you to come to the bonfire in front of Vvulf's tent. The man does not look special, apart from the paint, and is quiet on the way there. When you arrive you hear a terrified yelling coming from the bonfire, which remains unlit. The wood has been stacked, however, and one man is holding a torch. The yelling is coming from a naked woman tied to the post in the middle. There is a cold sense of dread in the pit of your stomach as you realize what is happening. They are going to burn her alive.
And they're going to do it while they just eat their lunch. You see your "seat" is right next to Vvulf.
Please! I'm sorry, it was just a dare! Don't kill me like this!
You stole from me. You got caught! I will not accept incompetent traitors in this army!
What to do about this?

Kill the victim yourself.
Burning to death is too painful for anybody! Kill her quickly, to spare her the pain.
Accept it and just eat your dinner
The nightmares will pass in time, hopefully.
Attempt to convince Vvulf to let her go.
You will need a good reason, of course. Puppy eyes don't work on that... monster.
Other
Something of note. Remember that not eating will leave you weakened.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:59:34 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2016, 02:57:32 pm »

Accept it and just eat your dinner.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2016, 02:58:12 pm »

Unfortuantly, I see the best option as Accept it and just eat your dinner. We can't show weakness by killing or saving her because then we might have a problem with Vvulf, and making an enemey with Vvulf could prove fatal if we try to fight him. So... Accept it and just eat your dinner is unfortuantly the best option I see.

Edit: Dear god, looking at my spelling a few months later I just realised just how many spelling mistakes I made. I suppose that happens when you post on a forum when you're half asleep.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:33:44 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2016, 03:02:45 pm »

Accept it and eat dinner, preferably focusing on our food. There's nothing we can do short of brutalizing them ourselves (not giving them a quick sting, mind you) and that's not something we are likely to do simply because of our mindset. on the same note, I have a feeling this is more of him making an example to remind people not to mess with him.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:04:34 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2016, 05:24:32 pm »

If we kill her ourselves, we spare her a more painful death, and we look badass for the troops. Win, Win. I say the more we practice being cruel now, the easier it will come to us when we actually need to be nasty.

"Ah, Vvulf, It seems I came just in time. Didn't last night teach you that I prefer my meals raw?"

Kill her quick and painless, then make a show of eating her slow and messy.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2016, 06:07:04 pm »

If we kill her ourselves, we spare her a more painful death, and we look badass for the troops. Win, Win. I say the more we practice being cruel now, the easier it will come to us when we actually need to be nasty.

"Ah, Vvulf, It seems I came just in time. Didn't last night teach you that I prefer my meals raw?"

Kill her quick and painless, then make a show of eating her slow and messy.

This
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2016, 06:31:32 pm »

Attempt to convince Vvulf to let her go.
You will need a good reason, of course. Puppy eyes don't work on that... monster.

I need someone to test my poison on.

Make her your pupil. Direct her towards a life away from this riff raff. Being your poison dummy is a punishment. But she will eventually grow immune. And we will learn a lot about what we're capable of. Non-lethally.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:45:29 pm by roseheart »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2016, 11:52:21 pm »

If we kill her, we are going to appear weak. If we sit back and watch we are also going to appear weak because he will know that's not what we want. He's not a fool. In his eyes the strong take what they want as he did with you. You don't want her to feel pain. But to these people pain is strength. He demonstrates strength by showing pain. If you want to impress him do it better than him. Make her feel the pain of your poison. Repeatedly. And let her live because that's what you want to do so take it.

Spoiler: The Drider (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 11:55:04 pm by roseheart »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2016, 02:59:14 am »

If we kill her, we are going to appear weak. If we sit back and watch we are also going to appear weak because he will know that's not what we want. He's not a fool. In his eyes the strong take what they want as he did with you. You don't want her to feel pain. But to these people pain is strength. He demonstrates strength by showing pain. If you want to impress him do it better than him. Make her feel the pain of your poison. Repeatedly. And let her live because that's what you want to do so take it.

Spoiler: The Drider (click to show/hide)
...I suppose you make a valid point when you put it like that... I'm going with this instead
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2016, 04:35:27 am »

Getting loyal mooks will not be hard, so I don't think the risk/reward on trying to save this woman is worth it. Also, our venom seems to change and grow stronger over time, so she might not be able to develop a tolerance for it like you guys assume, in which case we will be stuck torturing the poor girl forever.

I say get the quick kill and eat her; The show we make out of dismembering her after the kill will more than distract from the fact she actually didn't suffer much. We can justify this one as a mercy killing, and we need to look far more tough and wicked than we actually are if we want to survive among these bandits. If we find even the flimsyist reason to justify such behavior, I don't think we can afford to pass it up.

Also, Tankit changing his vote puts us in a three way tie. If it is still tied when it comes time to write the turn, you can change my vote to ignore the situation and focus on food. They don't know much about our venom... I'd imagine trying to argue that we need a tester would be a hard sell at this point.

---

During lunch, interact with that female lieutenant who fears spiders. Try to get her to show her fear, her weakness, in public.

After lunch, claim the lower floors of the lookout tower, and start spreading silk around to turn it into a proper drider's lair. If we do end up killing the girl, display her bones. Appearances are everything.

Find the guy who kept beating us after we said stop while sparring. Give him a good one x one beating. Once he is whooped, tell him if he ever disobeys our command again, we will kill him. Then tell him that we like his intensity, and that we task him with picking another 6-7 men for our personal battle entourage.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2016, 07:30:58 am »

We didn't choose the BERSERKER trait though.

(it's pretty much the same thing as you or me eating another person)

How about this, as I said before he obviously knows that we wouldn't want her to die, and I still believe strong strength is taking what we want: keeping her alive.

Also, our venom seems to change and grow stronger over time, so she might not be able to develop a tolerance for it like you guys assume, in which case we will be stuck torturing the poor girl forever.

I don't want to see this. I know you know that. I'm not going to try to hide that, because that is weakness. Give her to me, give her life to me.

(Set aside your poison, a dangerous but non-lethal amount, enough for 3 doses.)

I will give you the punishment you want times 3. She will suffer in pain three times and then she is mine.

(I really believe this is the gambit that shows strength, I don't think he's going to be a fool and see us chowing down on her as strength just you trying to trick him...)

During lunch, interact with that female lieutenant who fears spiders. Try to get her to show her fear, her weakness, in public.

After lunch, claim the lower floors of the lookout tower, and start spreading silk around to turn it into a proper drider's lair. If we do end up killing the girl, display her bones. Appearances are everything.

Find the guy who kept beating us after we said stop while sparring. Give him a good one x one beating. Once he is whooped, tell him if he ever disobeys our command again, we will kill him. Then tell him that we like his intensity, and that we task him with picking another 6-7 men for our personal battle entourage.
+1

I say we either show repsect for his authority, and watch her burn(which will remind us why we hate him and he must go down) or if we do challenge his authority in any way go all the f -ing way!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:00:57 am by roseheart »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2016, 08:07:17 am »

Please also consider her social butterfly/curious personality. Of the provided options, which path would she really choose? I mean if we literally gave her these options and asked her to choose one? I think the choice is obvious... (Mine! lol)

If we choose a path where... she has to pretend to be this monster... When she gets out of here she is going to be mentally f'd up. Because that's the opposite of who she is. We need to own this right now. We need to be ourselves in a big way.

Or at least try, amiright?

She is clever. She is smart. Isn't it possible at a moment like this she would be inspired to use it?

At least that's how I see her. Maybe I am wrong.

We've already physically coated ourselves with the hardened shell let's not do it to our heart.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:34:39 am by roseheart »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2016, 09:37:21 am »

Please also consider her social butterfly/curious personality. Of the provided options, which path would she really choose? I mean if we literally gave her these options and asked her to choose one? I think the choice is obvious... (Mine! lol)

If we choose a path where... she has to pretend to be this monster... When she gets out of here she is going to be mentally f'd up. Because that's the opposite of who she is. We need to own this right now. We need to be ourselves in a big way.

She is clever. She is smart. Isn't it possible at a moment like this she would be inspired to use it?

Well, you convinced me. +1 to rosehearts plan
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2016, 09:51:04 am »

Well, you convinced me. +1 to rosehearts plan
I'm convinced. +1

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 216