Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184929 times)

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2016, 12:31:44 pm »

Join our father!

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2016, 12:33:16 pm »

Join our father!
Read my proposal before you pick a side.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2016, 12:34:54 pm »

I'm going to go so far as to say my vote changes to a no if we fail the negotiation role.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2016, 12:52:41 pm »

I'm going to go so far as to say my vote changes to a no if we fail the negotiation role.
Well that's fine If we get a chance to negotiate At all.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2016, 01:36:50 pm »

Vvulf's Mark

You shake your head. You turn to the leader, holding your head high. It hurts to say what follows, but you keep your composure.
We need to make a deal. You don't touch this village or my family, and I'll join you.
Done. I'll gladly take a soldier over the drek this village has to offer. No problem. He laughs to himself as the crowd around you goes wild. They hoot and holler. You're not exactly sharing in their feeling, however. You turn to your father, who still stands there with his hand outstretched. His face is frozen in shock. You walk closer to him. He seems to wake up from his stupor as you come closer. Tears roll over his face as he looks at you in fear. You shakily draw in air as you fight back your own tears
I... I lost you. Didn't I?
No! Please. I just want you to be safe.
Safe? What does my safety matter. We could have lived in the city! We could have survived, as we always have. He cries in earnest. He begins to sob as he falls to his knees.
I don't want to live this life. What did I do to deserve this?
You shake him by the shoulders. Nothing seem to snap him out of it, he just keeps muttering things like that. You eventually just draw him close and hug him. You say in his ear:This isn't a goodbye. I'll get out as soon as possible, alright? Please.
But you're just a little girl. Who knows what these bastards might do...
just... keep the fire warm for me, alright? Take care of yourself. For me.

You notice that the crowd around went silent a while ago. You push your father away, and walk towards the bandit leader. Alibert turns around, and leaves. He looks back one more time, and then runs along the road. You fail at holding back your tears, but you wipe them on your sleeve. The bandit leader drops his shield, nearly crushing the closest bandit under it's weight, and puts his rough, calloused hands on your shoulder.
That will be the last show of weakness I'll allow. You can't show yourself as soft, or you'll quickly find that my men aren't picky in their meat. Now come, An apostle must look the part.
The bandit army leaves everything untouched.  Some even throw some valuables on the porches of some houses. Some houses were reduced to rubble during the actual skirmish, but it's nothing that can't be solved.
You saved the town.
Let's hope that idea will soften what follows.

The trek back to the bandit's camp is long, and you are kept close to the leader. He calls himself the Carnivore Of The North, or just Vvulf among friends. He points out that nobody has gained the right to call him Vvulf in a long time. The pecking order is made clear. You are not to call him anything other than "boss", "leader" or "Carnivore".
When you arrive to his camp, you realize that it will be almost impossible to find by just searching. The deep forest is a rough place to move through, and multiple climbs must be made. Vvulf does so with trained ease, hauling his entire body weight up with just one hand. Others have more difficulty in climbing the rocks, but you obviously have little trouble. You briefly consider helping some of them, but decide against it. No weakness, he said.
And these bastards will all pay in due time.
Vvulf takes you to his own tent in the middle when you finally arrive. most of the livings here are squalid, with simple green tents dotting the massive camplace. There is a huge bonfire before Vvulf's tent, which is big enough to house a giant. It looks just as big on the inside as on the outside, to the point that your mouth falls open. There are actually different rooms in this things! The main room, which holds a massive wooden beam to keep the structure steady, has three connections to places with a lower "ceiling". Vvulf wordlessly brings you to a smallest one. There is a steaming pot here that smells horrid. looking inside, you see a dark-red mass, with swirling stripes of black moving around. It looks unbelievable thick. It must be paint, you realise.
It's not hard to think of where he got the colour from.

As I promised, you are to be one of my lieutenants. The boy you slaughtered was next in line through nepotism and anger. he was so filled with rage... I expected far more from such a type of anger, but fortunately you proved much more interesting.
His way of talking feels grim. Nothing seems to remain of the sadistic, hearty laughter he seemed so full of just a few hours ago.
Now strip. You'll bear the marks of the red moon.
You take a step back(or steps, considering your body). You feel scared.

https://youtu.be/1F96clRenx4

I said. STRIP! Or I'll tear it off myself!
You try to keep yourself from shaking as you undress yourself. The apron first, then your tunic. You shiver a little, though it's hardly cold, when you also remove your binder. You keep looking to the floor as you attempt to cover yourself with your hands. Vulf grabs your hand and pulls you closer. You can't even shake it away. He is so much stronger than anything you've ever seen or felt before. You feel as if a stone has lodged itself in your throat as he puts his hand inside the cauldron, seemingly unaffected by the heat, and he begins to draw marks on you. He begins at your belly, and makes a strange insignia. The paint burns as he puts it on making you grimace. He continues moving his fingers across your body, making more of the same insignia's and connecting them with a curved line. by the time he's finished, you have marks on your shoulders, one on your belly and one on your upper back, all connected with thick lines. He then grabs a brush, and adds small branches to the thick lines. By the end of it, you look like a painting.
He finishes it off by drawing two lines from the shoulder insignia to your eyes, trailing over your neck and cheeks.

There. You'll sleep here for tonight. Tomorrow, you'll have to show you belong here to the men. Keep that sword sharp, and your sleep light. And no, you don't get to wear your clothing. The paint needs to bind.
Shakily, you lie down on the furs in the other room, fortunately not in the same room as Vvulf himself. You wish you could cry. But you just feel numb.
Eventually, sleep comes. It will be a needed mercy

Level up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You didn't think this would be fun, did you?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:51:36 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2016, 01:46:15 pm »

Mana eye because out of 1000 probable realities it probably exists in only about 5 of them that we choose it.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2016, 01:49:14 pm »

Growing Shell, because that could potentially save ourselves from breaking ribs, being stabbed through the ribs, having our arms cut off, and having our arms broken. The most logical decision is the best...I feel like spock lol.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:54:10 pm by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2016, 01:57:50 pm »

Growing Shell, because that could potentially save ourselves from breaking ribs, being stabbed through the ribs, having our arms cut off, and having our arms broken. The most logical decision is the best...I feel like spock lol.

+1 I agree. Growing shell would be extremely useful. Our human half is our biggest weakness right now. It only takes one lucky blow to end us.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2016, 02:30:13 pm »

I say we take screech. If it can show giant spiders who is boss, it can show puny humans who is the boss. We need to be scary to survive in our new home.

For the next few weeks, lets take out any angst we feel on bandits below us on the totem pole. Volunteer to help administer punishments if need be, perhaps offer to eat a few limbs.

If there is no law or discipline in camp beyond might makes right, just suck it up and hang out in only your new body-paint until somebody is dumb enough to make a pass at us, at which point we make an example and meal out of them.

Although I'm not advocating becoming a total slut, or even losing our virginity at this point, our innocent prudishness about our body will not suit us here. Take note of who is most frightened of us, and make a point to change near them. Tease and flirt with these poor souls while doing so as further practice, using frightening lines that hint at violence and hunger as much as they do sex.

Once we earn some respect, start protecting some of the more dexterous and crafty bandits who might otherwise be subject to bullying, be harsh on them in public, to avoid showing weakness, but make it clear that anybody who messes with them messes with us. Give these bandits Bolas to help them in combat, and raw silk for any tinkering projects they might have. In private, begin to cultivate friendships with them.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:36:15 pm by Weirdsound »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2016, 02:37:23 pm »

Mana eye because out of 1000 probable realities it probably exists in only about 5 of them that we choose it.
im going to go with this one
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2016, 02:53:33 pm »

im going to go with this one
It litterally sais, and I quote, 'Mana eye: the upper two of your eight eyes can peer into the realm of magic. There's nothing of interest there, most of the time." Nothing of intrest. Meanwhile, a growing shell can actually protect us, which makes a growing shell usefull. And don't you try to use the excuse that seeing magic is better than defending against it, it's better to not see a hit and live than to see a hit and die. Besides, most magical spells you can see normally anyway, and seeing a hit and living seems like the best option to me.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2016, 04:55:54 pm »

Sounds like it's going to be the magical Key of Awesomeness for that one time that works though. Do you really want to miss it so you could have a hard-ass?

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2016, 05:20:15 pm »

GM: Are some perks inherently rarer, or more powerful than others? Or are they all roughly balanced in terms of power?

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2016, 05:58:30 pm »

The perks are rather varied, but I try to keep them balanced. Some perks later on will only be possible through what happened recently.
When I was planning a sanity mechanic,for example,  the paint-job you just got would have given the opportunity to enhance mental fortitude, while the alternative marking you would have gotten in a refusal of Vvulf's offer would give the same potential advantage. As I decided against adding a sanity mechanic, this is no longer the case.
For this level up, there is nothing exceptional. The main thing here was to give the three perks per type.

Physical, Poison and Mental were the three bits. I'll try to give an equal amount of perks per level-up, but that isn't guaranteed.
Perks can return at a later level-up, but that isn't guaranteed. contextual perks are guaranteed to only appear once.
Also, some perks are going to be useless. For I am a cruel and merciless god.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 216