Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185950 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #795 on: July 19, 2017, 06:35:15 pm »

Hrmmm, mentioning that we have friendly chats with Death but not mentioning that we have first-hand experience of trying to keep a soul from leaving. And we don't remember that little soul-catching experiment with the slavers? And there is The Dwarf Incident, but nobody cares about The Dwarf... But soul vision is presumably not the first skill that most aspiring necromancers develop...

Not feeling strongly on social matters.
 Replace The Queen Bee? Still nervous about Queen.
Attract, trap, subdue, then bind The Queen Bee before dragging them back to our lair to suck out their juicy innards? Mmmmm, are there any giant bee colonies nearby? Note to self: People who are technically large, man-eating mon magical creatures should never make first-impressions on an empty stomach.
 Join the "B" social group? Plenty of opportunity to play hero, probably an overall good experience but you never know how much protection they might need(especially if they can be perceived as a "weak link" in our defences) or whether they have some hidden menace...
 Bail on Team Smells-Like-Death completely and go hang-out with the cool kids who make stuff explode or the convenient kids who learn Living-Maintenance magic? Probably wouldn't suit us to go out of our way like. And people who have gone through a sewer-dungeon and brought back a pet shouldn't throw stones into bad-smell houses.
 Hang out with the one group that smells worse than the necromancers? Eveline likely has a much higher workload than us, but we should make some time to stay in touch. Maybe we could try to stick to a casual monthly get-together with everyone who wants to join? Because surely everyone wants to remember that lovely little stroll through the country... But I suppose some of the scholars might be curious about the girl who punched Richard or have formed attachments to Meandra or such. And people could bring their friends to show off. I can't see "people who survived the march of terror" club lasting, but being a general occasional social group could work...
 Hang out with the boys? Probably a shortcut to awkwardness and hostility...
 Become a mother hen to everyone, trying to force universal civility? Likely to lead to hostility coming from a newcomer, and loads of work for a situation that leave a bit of distance between you ad others. Not that distance doesn't have its advantages...

Imma happy to just leave things as they are and see where this goes.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 20, 2017, 03:48:18 pm »

Years ago
A forbidden Scrying.

"Look, even IF this works, do we really want to discover what's creating the type of energy that activates your rituals?" the drider says. For a man who was personally involved in creating the group, he always was very apprehensive. Not that I can blame him, of course. He's the man who has to actually LOOK at the disturbance. Not that I'm outside of danger, of course. I could end up crippled, blind or both. That is, if things go towards the absolute worst outcome. I don't think it will, of course. It wasn't a major disturbance, just strange. Eldritch power is impossible to fully understand, but it is easy enough to put a quantity to it. Which my circles catch when they exceed a certain amount, of course.
The drider is still fidgeting around with his collar. He sure looks regal, now that he became the count's adviser. Considering he's a couple hundred years old, it would make sense for him to be used in such a manner, assuming people can stomach his spidery body.

I finally answer him, after an admittedly long pause. "You know that we need to have a look at this. If we don't, who knows what might happen. You wouldn't want the Sacrificial Ritual to get popped a few years from now, right?" I need to repress a shudder at the thought. While my son and I both have our defenses, the idea of people transforming into eldritch minions is far worse than anything I'd expect. The drider in front of me would resist it, at least, provided he isn't directly marked. His relative resistance to chaos magic makes him ideal for the scrying process, besides. Speaking of, the circle finally lights up in it's familiar green glow. It was a tough one, which only adds to the relative oddity of the energy spike. But regardless, now he can look into it. He doesn't say a word as he steps closer, waves his hands to create a strange sort of "portal", and sticks his head through. It looks kind of goofy to see him just stick his head through a weird portal for something as important as this.
Of course, that just happened to be the last thing I'll ever see.

I still felt and heard the explosion, of course. Followed by his screaming and babbling. He wasn't saying anything that made sense, but I already knew what, exactly, I had picked up. I couldn't feel my legs, and all i could see was a unending black, but that still paled in comparison to what I now knew. The whiplash from the scrying may have broken me, but unlike the drider I only know fragments. Bits and pieces. Enough to act, not enough to drive me mad. And here I was, thinking him the strongest among us.
The Gestating God is coming. He will have his followers and minions, and most will be traced to one man.
I need to find him, and prevent it. Laiko will need to help, and I will need help from some others. In the whiplash, I got a flash of a drider with blue carapace. She will be a sign of something. Gods only know what.
I need to get to work. I start crawling to the open road, dragging my broken body forward. I need to stop this, or at least alleviate the pain.
This is my promise and my duty.

Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 20, 2017, 09:14:12 pm »

Well this does remind of a certain drider we met once, that was not a clone of us, but I don't recall it thinking that we were familiar? Or it could be that the blue drider in the vision was our mum? I'm going to have to go back looking for the description(crazed and second-hand and potentially misidentified as it was) of our mother again and how that drider first reacted to us... But it would probably recognise us even if it had only seen our mother,considering that the loon recognised us, unless they really were loony enough to see a daughter in any drider they met...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 21, 2017, 02:51:32 pm »

Yunikki learns how to pray

So this god of your has the rules: Don't attack somebody without a good reason and , I quote, "Fuck the undead in their bony backbone"
Yes
I can get behind that. So I just kinda send a message to him with my hands clasped and on my knees?
Yes.
For how long?
Five minutes if you're in a hurry, half an hour if you've got some time, and all day if you wish to show  your devotion.
So it's like meditation, but you're talking to a god instead of drooling and thinking of nothing?
Yes?
Neat. See you in an hour.
Yes. Walk in purity. Lux in Tenebris

Well this is easy enough. No wonder crusaders know what's up, meditation lessons are reserved for the praetorian guards in your country!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:38:07 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 21, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »

But, but, but... That doesn't apply to cute little lizards, right? Or, umm, is that line a bit more literal then I originally thought...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 22, 2017, 02:41:15 pm »

And how's Eveline doing, anyways?

But that's forbidden love!
No it's not, it's just kinda weird. I guess
But girls can't love girls! Girls can't love girls! She starts crying out as she runs away, her worldview shattered. I don't really know how to process that information, and decide that that was enough social interaction for one day. Well, unless Sydney knocks at my door, anyways. It was a long first week in alchemy classes, and EVERYBODY wants to know me now that that muscly thing yelled about how my salt treatment was the cure-all for the "Crimson Curse", or whatever the official name for the Bloody Whispers is. It's hardly more scientific, and reeks of a reference to a game only two people actually know about. Honestly, I didn't even fully cure it! Sydney now has to deal with being a hemovore on top of the existing scars she took for MY sake. Of course, nobody seems to realize how my extremely specific half-way treatment is hardly a solution to repeated problems, nor how I would really prefer to be left alone. That small girl that just ran away with a shattered worldview was the one experiment I wanted to try surrounding social interaction, and she instantly wanted to know about people that I "love" love. Considering I never really had a talk go in that direction, being honest seemed like the better option. Clearly not. Now everybody will know I like Sydney as....  considerably more than a friend.

It suddenly dawned on me that Sydney may discover this, now that I said that! She is clearly more social and headstrong than me, of course she'll find out some silly little kobolt wants to try out some love adventures with her. Ohhh, I never should have said anything about it. Should have just lied, yes. I'll just say that it's slander. I-i'll just say that spider gross me out or something, or tell them about what we did with the spider queens in my village. That'll surely deter them, and leave me in peace. Yes! Of course. Just say some stuff that creeped people out in the past, and they'll leave me alone. Then I can just study some material, make some new potions... I could be the thing I really wanted to be, and do it in peace and quiet. Unless it's Sydney, of course. She can come whenever she likes.
Hehe...

Focus, Eveline. Focus. Just, go home to that home you got, set up a cauldron, and make your homework and some breakfast. Avoid mixing the two, green fur should be a one-time thing, especially of these people like it so much. Gods, a whole day spent as a damned fashion statement!
I almost miss just being out on the open road, figuring things out as we went. Not to mention, I didn't have to talk to complete strangers all the time because they think I look "cute". I'm not cute! I'm just...
I'm not cute. I'm just fluffy at best. So what if I like making my own perfumes and getting my fur pretty, it's the first time I got a good chance for it. And ribbons look good on me! Can't they just make a glance and whisper to their friends about it or something? Then I can just assume they're talking bad about me and move on. I don't know how to deal with compliments and so MANY people talking to me! All because of that damned announcement that told everybody I fixed a disease, even though I CLEARLY didn't!

No matter how I look at it, It's the headmaster's fault I'm so popular!
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 22, 2017, 03:26:19 pm »

Yes, Eveline! You should go complain to that headmaster, I am certain that the cute little doggy being angry with the muscle spectacle won't attract any attention at all... It certainly won't incite a chorus of "squee" from your overlapping fan-bases intense enough to produce a mushroom cloud...

I wonder if Sydney's Queen-form will come up in the studies at all. She IS learning magic and it DOES seem to affect magic. It is only homicidal if people disrespect her, so it is somewhat safe-even in some scenarios.

Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 23, 2017, 04:14:29 pm »

One Month into education.
Plant trouble.

If anybody had said to me that they were going to apply Discombobulated White Death on top of Laif-fabre, I was going to laugh at the mere suggestion. So, imagine my surprise when it turns out somebody now only did that, but gave it to his venus fly trap. Well, when I say surprise, I did mean more "outrage" and "undescribable gibberish" about how mindbogglingly dumb such an idea would be, especially if it came from somebody who even KNOWS those two ingredients. They're at the far end of the book, and don't have the spectacular names of the other ones, which implies nobody would skip to the end. So somebody not only studied to the end of the book about five months beforehand, but looked at the mix of those two ingredients and decided that would be the perfect pick me up for the surprisingly boring venus fly trap.
In short, I have absolutely no idea why they didn't expect a three story tall plant monster with hypnotic qualities to it. Nor did I expect it would succeed in enthralling an entire building to the point that they're a very capable defence force. Even the teachers aren't sure what to do, and the headmaster wants to PUNCH the thing. As amusing as that would be, I don't want that behemoth mind-controlled by some overgrown fauna that's growing increasingly protective of the surrounding neighborhood.

So, of course, people are asking around what the best solution would be. The people from the necromancy course are going to make a flesh golem (which would be fine if we had an entire day), the people from the destruction spells don't want to harm the students, and there's only a single person from the alchemy department that isn't currently DEFENDING the stubborn weed.
That person being me. Of course. I had the idea when my mother came up to me and told me that she felt unsafe. It took a little while, I admit, but it soon proved too good to be true that nobody was pestering me for an hour straight. That's when I woke up, and evacuated the building before the other alchemist caught me. It's a good thing that the discombobulation of white death made it a suggestion-type pheromone, rather than the usual addictive pheromones. The first one, I can deal with.
So while the whole town is discussing how they're going to take down the alchemy department, I'm already putting it into action. If I wait any longer, the crusaders are going to discover the pheromones are a mist, and eventually soak through their protective masks. And I really do not want to sneak past possessed soldiers.
And so, after an hour, I already have the materials needed to get the alchemy department down. It's a good thing I experimented against the giant spider queens, this should have about the same effect as last time...
Of course, that WAS about seven years ago, and a plant is a little different, but it should still work!

I put my own cloth around my muzzle, and apply my counter-agent. It won't help for long, but it should work out well enough. I wish Sydney was here, then getting to the base of the plant would be a synch! Instead, I have to go back to my old habits of sneaking around. I hate that I'm so good at it. It's degrading, and made me scared of far too many things. I can get a nervous breakdown from rustling leaves when it comes to sneaking! Deep breaths, in and out, trying to get used to the unique odeur of the counter-agent on my nose-rag. And I'm off.
The first part is easy, of course. The alchemy course is located around a single building, at the moment, although the plant will most surely start expanding it's base of operations soon. The alleyways are getting their first vines and flowers, and the pheromones are already rather thick. It makes my eyes water, but I need to keep on going. As long as I don't step on anything, Spinach won't notice me. I turn a corner, and see the first problem. Some of the alchemy students are already wandering about, mumbling to themselves as they see what they would really want to see. I even see that odd girl, who's mumbling to herself. I can hear something about "pray away the gay", so I decide against paying attention to any of these ramblings. Of course, now I need to get close enough. Perhaps the old trick would work, "pretend you belong here", but I fear that plant-monsters wouldn't be fooled. Not to mention my giant purple needle almost as big as I am on my back might just tip them off that something may be a little different about me. Damn it, Sydney would know what to do! Then again, she could have just charged through and jab the plant before anything could do something. Sadly, it's just me. I keep on thinking about what I could do, until I hear bell chime in the distance and see a beam of light shine upon one of the patrol-students, stunning them and keeping them in place.

The crusaders. Of course they wouldn't listen to the warnings... Well, I have a little bit of time and distractions, now. I rush out, hard as I can, and run towards the building. Contrary to my hopes, they DID notice me. The glass bottles explode against the floor, doing all sorts of strange reactions now that they had a final addition of gravity. Most of them don't do anything, some others create flowers, and a few of them explode. It's not hard to guess which one just happened to land near me.

Dazed, I can confirm I got into the building. The bad news is that I did it through a window, and that my arm looks a little mangled. Shock is preventing me from feeling anything for now, and I quickly use my emergency kit. I pull out the little brown box from my hip-bag, remove the needle with white liquid, and jam it into my shoulder while squeezing the plunger. All at once, I feel my heart going far too fast, making me feel like my veins are threatening to burst, but it soon begins to slacken. I take a look at my numbing arm, just in time too. I can still feel vague twinges of pain, even through the numbing agent. It's bending the wrong way, there's a nasty cut at the upper arm, which I start binding with one arm and some difficulty, and my fur looks scorched. All in all, not ideal. But at least I'm inside, and nothing is coming after me. The plant must think I'm dead.
Deep breaths, ignore the stinging. You can get that rib looked at later.

The journey through the building was easy after that. All of the defensive forces are upstairs, ready to throw their homework out the window at unsuspecting kobolts. I stumble through, and finally reach my goal. The main stem. It burrowed it's way through the building to find a fertile ground, and the damage is extreme. The plant may be the only thing holding this place up! I take the massive syringe off my back, though I need to basically throw it over my shoulder with my broken arm. I jab it in there, and push my whole weight against the plunger. It's just barely enough to squirt it in there.
The effects are immeadiate. The pheromones even change color, meaning the coloring agent was a success as well. That'll make it visible things are better. The pink is already changing to a more pleasant white. Before it's too late, I change the counter-agent on my rag. Wouldn't want to be affected by the new sleeping pheromones.
I probably should have told the crusaders that I was going to do that, but whatever. They're a bit high-strung anyhow.

Now comes the easy part. I go up the stairs, and eventually figure out which room the plant originates from. It was quite easy, considering it's the one that had it's door replaced by a massive vine. I climb over (tiny frame go!), and find the White death and Laif-fabre concoction. It's in a half-empty vial, as I expected. I spit in the vial, more as an insult than for anything useful, and put some fire-salts (from the student's own supply, sloppily put next to his bed in an unmarked pot. I'm not paying a single cent for this moron's mistakes) in his favorite new feed. And then, I pour it over him. It actually jiggles it's whole body, vaguely shaking the building. It's a slow death now, buddy. In about five days, this thing will have shriveled up and died. More than enough time to slowly extract the alchemy students. It'll take some shifts, and some counter to the sleeping mist, but they'll be out of here soon enough.
Now, you can head to the damned nurse and get half your body back into place. The anesthetic is wearing off...

Anyhow, that's how I became popular across MULTIPLE courses! Just because Sydney was off on a damned school trip with the rest of the year ones, I had to step up! And I thought people bothered me before...
If this keeps up, I'm going into the damn rainforest and making myself a hut, bugs and zaptigers be damned!
This is horse-shit. I don't WANT to be popular.

Boy, some hiatus. Ended up writing 1600 words. I guess I felt a little guilty about the cop-out updates I did earlier.
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 24, 2017, 05:30:14 am »

* RAM expresses that they liked the chapter, but is having difficulty coming up with meaningful commentary.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 25, 2017, 03:13:42 pm »

The Black Swordswoman.

It was a simple task, for all intents and purposes. Catch a few animals using the experimental bait. They probably could have just gotten the hunters involved, but apparently they don't deal in experimental bait. Or any experiments at all, period. Despite being the main source of meat for the small student's town, they don't seem to think too highly of magic. Or perhaps they just have a healthy skepticism for bait that smells vaguely of moldy socks. Who can say. You don't care, you're getting paid for it and you don't have to get zapped in the process. Better than the previous experiments where you decided to be a test subject. Although you do get paid quite handsomely, for the most part. Of course, there's no accounting for what you can find in the jungle, and you had prepared for zap-tigers, you hadn't quite prepared yourself for a thin black blade being pushed against your throat. You don't react overmuch, even if your heart is beating a little faster. After everything reached a sort of normal you noticed that you can't really get that excited about a lot of things anymore. You try, of course. You fake it a little, but you feel kind of empty.
Still don't quite feel like dying.

And hello to you to. You say in a monotone to the owner of the black blade. She seems to be surprised at the answer, and loudly whispers (making it closer to a hiss, to be fair) You're not a luitenant?
You perk up at the sound of that. Maybe it's a coincidence, but...
I'm a student. Not part of an army. Eldritch or otherwise.
Strange. My mark's going off, but I've never seen one that's sentient... Did you have contact with the Gestating God?
In a manner of speaking. We're not on friendly terms.
Explain. She shakes the blade a bit, presumable to hasten your tongue. It's about as effective as the blade has been up until now.
I almost got sacrificed and mutated to join it's little army. Fortunately, driders are resistant to chaos magic, so it didn't take. Still have the burns, though.
Burns? Of what sort.
The type that makes you a lieutenant, from what I understand.
And you got out of that? How.
Help of a friend, a bit of luck, a lot of screaming... So much screaming.
Your emotions seem to "switch on" again. None of them are pleasant. You stop yourself from breathing heavily, still mindful of the blade beneath your chin.
...I understand. I'm sorry. She says, before sheathing the blade on her back in a swift, practiced motion. Now that the blade is primed at your jugular, you take a look at the woman.

She looks a bit ragged, despite the incredibly sturdy armor she seems to be wearing. It looks to be reinforced leather, painted black and reinforced further with strategic patches of metal. Her figure is hard to discern under all that armor, but she can't hide her long, elegant legs, most of which are covered in thigh-high boots, which are in turn covered in all sorts of blades. Most hand handles, but she has a razor's edge over her heel and a spike at the tip of her foot. Her arms are similarly covered in all manner of sharp implements, but the strangest of all is her left hand. A box, seemingly connected to an odd crossbow with a crank is the least strange part of it. It looks to be covered in a metal glove, and her fingers don't move in the slightest. Perhaps it's a prosthetic? One thing you notice is that there's a fuse further up her fore-arm. Her face is uncovered, revealing short hair, a sharp nose and brown skin. She looks to be eastern, but doesn't quite seem to fit with any nationality you saw at the inn. She wears an eyepatch over her left eye, which does not cover the wound that undoubtedly took her eye. A very tough lady, in short.
After looking you over some more, she eventually calls out: Garou! Come out!

A massive, hulking figure comes out of the bushes. He must be more than two meters tall! He wears a very concealing cloak, and his face, what little you can see of it, is covered in bandages. Even under that cloak, it's clear this man could tear you in half. He seems strangely quiet, though.
You told us you're a student, right? How close are we to the orc tower?
...Ten minutes travel. This is to the east, how did you get here if not through there?
From the east.
There's no roads out that way.
I know. It aided our escape.
How many days did you two just travel in the jungle!?
Stopped counting. I can hunt well, and he doesn't eat much anymore... Anyhow, the town?

Escort them there.
These people may be very interesting indeed. It's probably a good idea to keep your eye on them.

Give directions, tell them to wait somewhere
You need some time to think about the implications, and you've still got a beast to catch with the bait...

Other

Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inventory

Magic, skills and minions

We're taking control of Sydney again for a bit. This is not the end of the timeskip.
Neat stuff I do:

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 25, 2017, 10:34:59 pm »

Escort them back, The bait can Wait.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 26, 2017, 03:50:50 pm »

I was having trouble choosing this time, until someone made a rhyme...
We should be their escort, back to The Tower's court.
We don't know what they can sense, we wouldn't want them tense...
But spying their souls is not a crime? There may be something to report...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 26, 2017, 04:35:50 pm »

Follow me, I suppose. Do me a favor and lift your foot, though?
She does so, only raising an eyebrow, and you quickly grab the squishy, mallable bait she was standing on. It leaves behind some liquid on her shoes, which are spike-tipped at the bottom as well. Mostly for traction, however, they don't look sharp. You shove the bait back in the bag, trying to ignore how it makes squealing noises. The Swordswoman seems a little suspicious of it, and you can't blame her. Either way, you start making your way back, following the webbing you left behind on the trees. You don't really need it, but it is the safest thing to do among this sprawling fauna. You'd prefer moving over the treetops, but the monkeys there are as vicious as they are territorial. Either way, you start the conversation, considering the Swordswoman and her massive friend seem content to follow in silence. (on a sidenote, soulsight doesn't show anything of note, although you did notice their "flame" being a bit more fierce than what you're used to.)
So you cut through the jungle to "escape" from something? What would that be, exactly?
Demons. Or something close to that, anyway. During the eclipse our band was beset by all sorts of monsters, which I guess come from the Gestating God. "Demons" is as close as we're going to get to a name.
An eclipse? Wait, you were "beset" by monsters. Meaning your band wasn't... T-transformed. Your heart is going off again. It's an off day for it.
Transformed? Into what?
Monsters... Of all types. Pigmen, skeletons... T-the luitenants... I... It's all still so vivid. You can still hear the screams, you can still see Jack's... metamorphosis. You are awoken by a quick slap against the shoulder.
Stay with us. Come on, you survived. she says, her tone of voice considerably softer from before. Take strength in it. Please.
I... Thank you. It hasn't even been two months ago. Anyway. You were just attacked?
Yes. We were betrayed by... A man I thought was my friend. That attack took my eye and my arm, and left Garou mad.
The man behind the two of you grunts. It's a soft, wheezing grunt that elicits more pity than fear.
The traitor was always very close to him, and the fact that Garou had left us for a time was hard on him. So he took special care of him, and he personally tortured him in horrible manners. His face took the worst of it, but he left his eyes. I guess so he could force him to watch as everybody was dying. Garou and I were... Are very close, but his mind is just shattered. All he does now if follow me, and train with his old sword.
He trains? With you?
By himself. He always swung around his greatsword a few hundred times, onehanded. Which makes it difficult to care for him. He's as strong as a mountain.

You look back at the behemoth behind you. He walks upright, and his cloak is almost all-concealing, but you still notice his feet. The little skin that is visible is scarred most horribly, purple splotches and former burns.
Sorry for rambling. It's been a while since I could have a conversation. Garou isn't much of a talker now.
I don't mind at all. So, how did you escape?
I fought. I fought and fought and fought. I think the traitor enjoyed watching me struggle, seeing how he just left instead of finishing me off. Without my comrades, I wouldn't have made it. Eventually, I killed the last of the demons, and... gave mercy to the one surviving fighter of our group. I was ready to give up, right there. Garou wasn't responding, and I thought he was dead. Until...

The orc tower is finally visible through the trees. You could see it for miles around if it wasn't for the sheer amount of vegetation, but alas. You almost curse out loud. She stopped talking now.

There it is! I hadn't expected I'd find this, to be honest. I was hoping I'd find a village that would send me on my way, but I just found it like that.
You were lucky you found me. This place is a bit confusing.
I suppose. Well... Where can we find a blacksmith? I need to tune up my gear, and get Garou some armor. Or just a mask. He keeps tearing at the bandages during the night.
I don't think we have a blacksmith in here, but there is one in the city. Unless you go to the alchemy course.
Can you take me there? I have some special requests for that as well.

Take her there, and request Eveline to come take a look at it.
She was very interested in the metallurgy, but she wouldn't be the most ideal choice for it all.

Take her there, and let the pros take care of it.
Eveline will be interested, but you can tell her after everything is done here.

Take her there, and remain outside.
Let her take of her business. You can wait. Privacy is important.

Other

Stats

Inventory

Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 26, 2017, 05:39:06 pm »

O;d Jesty isn't the most forthright and honest of folks. It may be prudent to inform someone with some measure of authority and wherewithal... I doubt that there are any active mind-mages on staff, but illusionists ought to have some familiarity with mental faculties, Eveline IS absurdly competent too, but a bit fragile. The headmaster would probably want to greet any new arrivals too, and seems to have a thing for tales of heroism. Then there is Richard who most likely gained an appreciation for the risks of the eldritch while being aware that some people really do escape from monstrous ambushes.

I want to trust them, but don't leave them alone with Eveline...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 27, 2017, 04:58:51 pm »

So you think many people would want to hear of this?
Most certainly. I've had a lot of eldritch trouble on the journey here, and my companions would know most of it. Speaking of, that will be the one to take care of your equipment. Eveline.
She experienced with the eldritch?
Less than most. Still helped us take down a cult, and cured me of... You swallow away a burning feeling in your throat. Not a good idea to think of it.
...Of what?
Nevermind. I shouldn't think about it. Now you need to make a visit to disease control.
Ah? Fine. We all have our secrets.

The temporary alchemy department is already visible. It's a bit of an old building, but it still hold up, mostly. Their previous building collapsed after some kind of plant monster ran amok. Eveline managed to solve it, though, which you honestly hadn't expected from her. Not that she isn't capable, but she isn't all that proactive if her life or her friend's depends on it. You noticed that she's kind of selfish in that regard. Very loyal to her friends, but she wouldn't stick her neck out for a stranger. Still, you're here to egg her on for helping these people.
And to make sure said people don't try anything funny.
Eveline was working on something in the basement, where she spends most of her time. The presence of spiders seems to deter more students than the other places in the ramshackle building. Ever since she rescued the whole department, she's become very popular indeed. Her actions to get away from people only seem to add to her reputation, making her come across as the "mysterious master alchemist". Even the teachers are getting in on it, and the fact that she just tore into the material. She was mostly self-taught up until now, so there was a lot she already knew. It all comes together naturally

Regardless, you're getting off track. You go to the back of the building and open up the basement hatch. The cobwebs are still there, and their occupants shy away from the light. The spiders here are surprisingly banal, considering all the other wildlife is spectacular. The giant spiders are of all sorts, but among the normal spiders there's only one that's poisonous, and it's far from dangerous. Again, getting off track.
When you enter the basement proper, you already hear Eveline groaning in agony at the prospect of more social interaction. She reacted when The Swordsman's foot touched the ground. Clearly, she's been honing her listening.
Good news! It's just me.
Sydney! Oh thank gosh, I am so TIRED of uninvited- I have guests.
She was in the middle of deflating just as she turned the corner, and you only catch the barest glimpse of her former excitement. Her look turns to befuddlement when she sees the two figures with you. She cocks her head to the side, making one of her ears flop to the side.
Who are they?
Cascara. And this is Garou. We need some help with our gear.
You realize I'm not a blacksmith, right? although... What's the issue? I have some epoxy if you just want your existing gear to get a fixer-upper.
I need explosives.
Eveline blinks. She blinks again. Then she smiles.

As it turns out, Eveline likes her explosives. She was actually making explosive arrowheads in here, along with all sorts of little bombs and the like. Her smile is almost maniacal when she showcases the different effects on a target. The effects are quite horrific. The explosion is small, making the wounds much larger and grisly. It guarantees massive damage if you hit. Her bombs are rather varied, most of them being a variant on her firebombs. A leather ball with some nasty stuff inside. You're not too sure about any of it.
Impressive. I'll be glad to take some of that stuff, but I do need to get my weapons fixed up. All sorts of chips and scratches. And I'd like Garou's greatsword to be checked, as well. He still fights, if a lot less coordinated than before.
I'll be happy to help, I still have some epoxy from the metallurgy tests. What metal do you use?
She nonchalantly throws the blade on the ground next to Eveline, knocking her out of her excited professionalism to frightened schoolgirl instantly. She yelps and jumps up (into you, of course). After a small pause where she collects herself and tries to work through the shame, she eventually picks up the blade.
Black steel? I don't know anything about that... Hm. Can I check it for a while?
I though the drider said you knew your metals!
I... I got decent grades with metallugy, but we don't look at combat grade steels until next year. Sorry.
What's the meaning of this!? I don't need an amateur for this, I have to fight some of the worst things you've ever seen!
N-now calm down. I'm sure Sydney didn't mean anything bad.
Maybe not. Or maybe, she thinks giving me shoddy weaponry is a good way to get us sacrificed anyhow! She yells. Your blood runs cold
Sacrificed? Just what are you implying here.
You stink of the eldritch, and you just decided to bring us to somebody far below what we needed. I was assuming you knew a teacher, but this is just a student!
Stink of the eldritch. You think I'm working with that thing. THAT. THING. YOU'RE GOING TO TELL ME I'M EVER GOING TO WORK WITH THAT THING THAT FUCKING RUINED ME!? your blood is boiling over. How dare she!
This insult is unacceptable.
E-everybody! P-please. It's nothing to get riled over!
Really?! Because I'm hearing something quite different from where I'm standing!
...I think I know enough.

She raises her prosthetic arm, and grabs the crank for the crossbow. Your shield is quickly raised, and she doesn't have a sword. If she doesn't hit you properly, you've got her dead to rights. But if she doesn't...
You're at a standoff.

Charge her!
She won't be expecting an immediate charge.

Wait it out
Let her fire her bolt, then take her down.

Calm down and talk it out?
As if! You'll need to convince me as well before I let that happen!

Other

Stats

Inventory

Sydney has a couple doubts that tend to escalate things.
Neat stuff I do:
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 216