Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185064 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #585 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:37 pm »

Well, three watches of two makes sense...
3x3hours should take up 9 hours, which is... not terrible... and provide 6, which, again, is enough to function...
Scouts should have uninturrupted sleep if possible. It is tempting to dump the middle watch on the bruisers. Crass, but you are more likely to mistake an archer behind a shrub for a patch of moss growing over a wall than you are a friend for an enemy at close range...
Mix up familiar people with strangers to keep an eye on them...
Getting rid of the pack-horse duties is almost like a rest, and our legs don't strain so easily, and we are preparing food so we may as well buy time for personal camping preparations during the first watch.
Danica could use some "getting used to the creepy spider" time.
Father already adopted a monster, he might be able to befriend Ra'at as more than a random bandit that might help her meet with her pack, possibly even in this life...

1st: Danica + Sydney
*2nd: Yunikki + Anatoli
3rd: Eveline + Alibert + Ra'at
*Will they see anything coming?

Quickly scout the area with Minion vision and our ability to see souls + sould sniffer. and blaze along the ceiling to avoid the worst of the clutter while doing so. Get the rats to look for tunnels that we might have missed and see if we can enhance the sense of smell on one of the hounds. Have the hounds on watch all night with orders to obey Yunikki and Alibert, but don't tell them. If they know that they can control the undead(if it even works) then mind-control could be an issue, but if there is a problem then some sort of protest will probably make it apparent. But always reserve one rat for mind-control countermeasures by having it slap us or pull our hair or something if we go half-a-day without telling it not to, or if we show signs of mind-control, like, blank expression, or, ugh, what would an undead rat even recognise...

There should be plenty of dead-time to try to figure out our lizard, or at least familiarise ourselves with its larger bits, and we can tell Danica about all the good times we had with the cute little lizard skeleton and we can ask her about how she joined the guard or what she heard about the sewers or what the biggest spider she ever saw was or if she or Anatoli knew the guy our double killed when it escaped or how weird it must be for our double having been created by an evil god and oppressed by an insane case of the munchies or whatever she wants to talk about...

Try to set up some triplines and remember that some people will attack with no regard for the sacred trust between a creature and its latrine so try to designate a spot that isn't overly vulnerable to ambush.

And take a look through the cookbook, try to be familiar with some of the herbs and such that might be good to grab if you pass any.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 22, 2017, 05:51:50 pm »

Anything of note? your father yells up to you. You're hanging upside down on the ceiling right now, having a look around with your soul-sight.
Other than a plethora of bugs, there's nothing. Looks like we're safe here for now.
You take the walk back down, grateful that you don't need to spend too much time up-side down. You don't get sick from it, but your blood still rushes to your head and you need to apply some of your core strength to keep yourself upright when you're crawling. Almost as if a human torso doesn't quite properly replace a spider's head.
Right then. Looks like we should get ourselves ready for a rest. Who's on first for the watch?
I already thought of that. Me and Danica will take first shift, then Yunikki and Anatoli. Ra'at, Eveline and you will be doing the last watch.
Gah, damn it. Yunikki grumbles. She isn't too happy about having her six hours of rest divided into two, but she doesn't outright complain. Anatoli doesn't even glance in your direction.
Danica looks a bit less than thrilled about it.

You spend your first moments of the watch making sure everything's in order. Making tripwires is easy enough, considering the strands only need to support themselves. You've already explained that the stickyness goes away after about an hour, but the strands stick around when they don't have to carry anything. It'll be good enough to trip somebody up a little, you figure. Your mice also have a snoop around, but you're not getting anything exceptional. There are certainly a few small tunnels that only vermin would fit through, but those things are scared of the fire. And those that aren't will be discouraged by the hounds you put on watch. They certainly look a lot more impressive when they're standing on guard instead of wildly sprinting towards you. You make yourself comfortable as your companions take their snooze cruise. Danica is leaning against a wall, her knees up to her face. Her arms are crossed, and she seems to just sort of stare ahead of her. As a guard, she must have her own ritual in staving off the horrifying tide of sheer boredom. She still scans the room with her eyes, but seems to mostly be almost slack-faced. You'd start having a talk with her, but your companions are still in the middle of trying to sleep. For their sake, you'll wait a little while. You need to take a little look at your cookbook anyways. Figure out what herbs do what...

OH DEAR GOD THIS IS BORING. You can hardly figure anything out with a cookbook. All you can MAYBE gander is that some of these almost identical moss types have a saltier or more bitter taste than the other. After about ten minutes of looking through the book, you finally put it back in it's place and just stare at the far more interesting floor. Around half an hour has passed, you suspect, and your companions should be properly asleep now. You can try talking to Danica.
So how are you holding up?
I'm... alright. Didn't get hurt or anything. The ghost thing was freaky but it's in the past now, I suppose. I still think we wasted far too much time bringing the old man outside.
Well, I wasn't about to get him killed.
I can understand that.
So tell me, what made you join the guard?
...I don't rightly know. Just didn't want to bother with the criminal underground here, I guess. After I got run out of the last town, I just felt kinda done with it.
Oh yeah... The captain said you had a criminal background.
Danica seems to jump a little, and quickly begins defending herself.Yeah, well, he's a judgmental little prat, isn't he? I didn't go stealing because I FELT like it, you know?! What right do YOU have to judge, anyway? You were part of Vvulf's raiders for crying out loud!
I was more a hostage, really. In exchange, they left my village alone.
Bullshit. That couldn't have been the only reason.
You feel a blush appearing on your cheeks. She might be hitting something a little close to home here. Don't insult me like that.
I'm getting close, aren't I? You don't want to admit you just wanted to see what would happen, or maybe you just wanted in on Vvulf's business. You driders are all alike. You all want power.
You stare at her with a combination of rage and disgust. She seems to flinch as she looks at you, and seems to almost fall silent. Then she continues running her stupid little mouth.
You're not scaring me into submission. You need me, and you know it. I'll drop the conversation, but know this: don't you EVER look down on me.

A tense silence fills the room. The strange sort of silence where even the surrounding areas seems to be paying respect to the rising tension. Eventually, you sigh, and grind your teeth for a little while.
Do I disturb you? You say, a little more tense than you were planning.
You're a lady growing out of a spider that resurrects dead animals. Of course I might find that a little peculiar.
Goodness but that sass is VERY unbecoming of her.
I suppose you're glad you get to kill a double of mine, then?
She clicks her tongue annoyance, but then exhales a little. Her face seems to soften a little. Look, I don't dislike you, alright? You creep me out a little,
 but I don't think you mean it too bad.

I'd hate to see how you talk to people you dislike.
I don't. For those people, I plan.
Hm. A good way to go about it, I suppose... What do you know about these sewers?
Pft. I don't know a damned thing. Most people are told to stay away from it, and that's all they ever say about it. I've been in this town for two years, and nobody wants to talk about it. I didn't much care for droning on about it, and nobody sent me down here before. From what I can tell, though, this is ancient dwarven make. Before they found their sun-crystals and had their tech progression. So, yeah, these sewers are around two-hundred years old, I figure... What? Stop looking at me like that, can't a lady have a hobby?
It's just surprising. Didn't figure you for a historian.
Who knows art better than a thief? Hm... Say, time for a question from me. How does necromancy feel? Or magic in general, I guess.
It's... strange. Like having a body part you didn't know you had. Now suddenly you can stretch it around a bit, do some party tricks... It's not even that mystical, for me. I had a tea party with Death itself, and he mostly just kinda explained things to me and made a really good cup of tea. Ok, sure, it WAS in a sort of infinite void, but i'm pretty sure there are some curtains with the same pattern.
You had a tea party with Death? So, Morthum, right?
No. The actual CONCEPT of death. Not some god of death. Like, the guy comes for gods when they die, you know? He's one of the universal constants, he said.
What are the other ones?
Taxes.
Danica snorts. Figures.

After the initial bit of tense-ness, the conversation seems to come along fine. You managed to keep cool, fortunately. The remaining hours of the watch don't exactly fly by, but they are manageable. You are quite happy when you can switch up the watch for Yunikki and Anatoli. They don't look like they're too happy about it, but you don't particularly care. You put yourself somewhere comfy, and lie back and try to sleep. Just after closing your eyes, however, Yunikki asks you something.
Do we have a place to... do our business?
...We're in a sewer. Just squat over the grates or something, geez. This is a story, nobody needs to go to the bathroom unless the plot demands it.
...Gah, I really hate it when people get meta like that.
The rest of the night seems to be uneventul, and your dad wakes you. Everybody grabs their gear again, and the ropes are re-applied to your body. You're carrying most of the parties' inventory again, but it's spread out enough to prevent it hindering you. Just as you're about to leave, you suddenly smell something... new.
Something's here! You call out, and you get your sword out. You don't see anything quite yet, but you most likely need a plan. Right now, most of your companions are close, but placed somewhat haphazardly. The smell is there, but you can't quite place where they are. You hear a mix between skittering and some kind of clapping. Your dogs are growling, and your vermin is riding on the backs of said hounds.

Find the intruder, and decide how to deal with them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 22, 2017, 06:29:42 pm »

This is a story, nobody needs to go to the bathroom unless the plot demands it.
Oh, sure, you say that now, but the plot is always lurking, watching, scheming... Plotting! You go twenty years without ever seeing a toilet and then *!BAM!* someone gets possessed by the haunted outhouse and murders your best friend in their sleep! That's the basic rule for abstractions: Assume it doesn't exist, prepare for the worst. The more hurdles that the plot needs to overcome to get at you the more likely it is that you will see it coming...

The hounds are probably better at scent tracking(We will really need to practise that at some point, try to follow our party's trail or something...) so order... one of them? to attack. Call it back when it reveals something? They are probably better as distractions than shock-troops, so trying to hold them in reserve until just before we attack seems wise, but they are expendable and potentially recoverable so it is not such a big deal, especially if they reveal that the enemy has a massive acid-vomit that can melt people in seconds... It would be nice if the rats jumped onto any enemy that its hound neared and then tried to get under any clothing and attach itself to the enemy's back, but that sounds a bit complex for an emergency like this.

So...
Order a hound to attack.
Keep anyone else from rushing out alone.
Order the other hound to guard the camp.
Try to hold its attention from behind our shield while our party surrounds it. Our father should probably try to hook its stinger, those things can be Nasty.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 23, 2017, 02:34:28 pm »

Update is delayed, I have a collage presentation tomorrow.
I SERIOUSLY cannot afford to slack on that. I'm on thin fucking ice with my grades.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 23, 2017, 06:37:11 pm »

College or collage? Good luck with either and both!
Read the First Post!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 23, 2017, 06:42:56 pm »

Aye.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 24, 2017, 03:15:32 pm »

Does anyone see anything!?
Nothing! I can hear them, though. Anatoli yells.
You can't see anything either, but the noise is getting closer. You turn to where you expect it to be, but the chamber is so large the echoes make it difficult to pinpoint. You send one of your hounds forward, hoping that will sniff them out somehow. The party clumps together, each covering a direction. Nobody can place where the damned sounds are coming from! Just the endless scratching and clapping echoing through the chamber. Then, finally, it stops. Everybody's breathing is the only that can be heard, and soon that stills. Everybody is holding their breath. Suddenly, the dog you sent ahead barks and growls! His head is pointed upwards. Your vision shoots to above, and there you see an emaciated woman wearing nothing but a rag hanging on the ceiling. Before you can even shout, she rockets downwards, and lands straight on the undead dog! The dog lets out a small growl of pain as the body crashes against it, but before it can react further it is pierced in the side by a spike! Now that the light is on the woman, you can see she has four spidery legs growing out her back, one of which she is using to skewer the dog!
AHH! Gross! Yunikki yells, swearing a little in her native language.

Fortunately, your dog isn't in a position to care about getting stabbed, and it struggles, snarls and bites towards the rail-thin woman despite being skewered. Sure enough, the claws find flesh, and the woman twitches and screeches in pain. In a wild panic, it tries to beat the dog to death with her bare hands, but that soon backfires as the teeth tear away at her arm. Before you can move in to finish her off, your father calls out: More of them! To the left!
You hear the sound metal hitting bone, and a crash. Your father has hooked a different spider-man hybrid from the ceiling, this one looking a bit more well-fed. He also screeches, and charges your father mindlessly. The speed is too much, and your father is knocked on his back and only barely managed to stop one of the sharp legs from piercing his head. Before it gets any worse, however, Yunikki stabs the hybrid in the side, killing it. After this, however, an unholy cacophony of yelling and screeching fills the whole room. Bodies drops down, landing roughly, some even breaking their legs. Those prop themselves up with their arachnid legs and move their broken bodies towards the group.

You're surrounded! You try to point yourself to the largest number of them, and raise you shield. Eveline is on your back mixing something up while muttering to herself. As you block the first two hits from the sharp legs, you capitalize on their opening and stab one in the gut. Just after that, you hear a mighty roar as Anatoli throws two of the hybrids back like ragdolls! His hammer is unstoppable once it has a solid swing. You also hear the sound of something glancing off metal, followed by another yell. These things may be deadly, but completely unorganized. You rush forward and throw three of them back using the sheer girth of your spider body. Just as you back up, a bottle breaks and the creatures burst into flames! Eveline finished her first cocktail, it seems!

They scream and crawl around on the legs on their back, trying to douse themselves as they pat their burning corpses! One of them bashes against the wall, and falls over dead. All the ones on your side are now finished. You turn to where there is still fighting to see Yunikki beating one of them to death with her armored hands, as she yells more obscenities in her language. another lies nearby, with Yunikki's sword embedded in it's chest. A dog is finishing another one off as your father is choking another with the rope of his hook. His axe looks to be stuck in the skull of another hybrid nearby. There are no more fighters remaining.
Yunikki is just beating a corpse by this point. There's hardly even a face recognizable, she's just doing it to work off stress. She finally gets up, out of breath. Danica is the first to speak
That was... scary.
Where the hell were you during the fight! Yunikki yells, covered in blood.
Waiting for an opening? You guys had it well in hand so I couldn't even do anything.
Anatoli snorts and looks away. Most companions are rather un-impressed, it seems. Still, that should have been it. The undead dog that was skewered is still stuck, but you pull it free easily enough. The wound looks absolutely horrendous, but it doesn't matter much. The undead are infamously tenacious.

Ra'at jumps off your back (so that's where she went!) and looks around. Without a word, she points to the passage ahead. Everyone follows, leaving the hybrids behind.
So... Looks like your double is busy making a cult. Those hybrids were common among the drider cults, some sort of "blessing". From what I can tell it's not that great for the free will aspect. Still, they can sting you pretty hard with those legs.
How do you know all that?
I'm an old bounty hunter, miss. It's my job to know this kind of thing. I hunted a drider upstart once, tough little thing, too. Good thing I brought a band of mercs, we lost three men.
Right, right. Let's not talk too much. There might be more of them, and these tunnels aren't to our advantage like the open.
I'll be in trouble here, don't have the room for a good swing.
Dumb to not bring more weapons. Ra'at has tooth-dagger. Now hush, long way to go. Coming closer now.

You're coming closer to the inner sanctum. You've still got more than a day's worth of travel to go, but will be more in the image of your enemies. Are there any ways you would like to prepare to the different types of enemies? Remember that the ordinary sewer enemies are still present.

Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 24, 2017, 11:39:35 pm »

Not so much. Tell people to look up? Make more undead?

Actually, undead should be immune to basic poison, and injecting them with feeding fluid? ew ew ew... They also suffer less from puncturing, all things considered, actually hunting a little might be wise if someone knows of something around the correct size that would support us against spiders...

Ummmm... When did dad fight a drider cult? That seems like something we would have wanted to know about. I mean, we don't REALLY want to find our mother, we know enough about her to know that to be something likely more awkward and horrifying than satisfying and hopeful, but we have only met two other driders. One was, well, naked and insane but otherwise a lot like a housepet, actually it was just a housepet, a scary housepet that talked, just like Eveline!(I kid) The other was our double, which really just gets more disturbing the more you know about it and more disturbing again as you think about what you know... Almost everything that we know about our species we learned by ourself and it turns out that half the people we know have been involved in dismantling crazy drider cults and nobody is talking about what wild driders are actually like...

That said, we could take breaks every sof often to spar with people. A couple of minutes spent defending against our legs while we rear-up might prove useful, or it could just slow us down, tire us out, and get us injured... It also feels a little demeaning to be on "fight against the weird spider-monster" duty...

We could try chatting with Death again. Ask how Jack's progressing. Look for a spot more insight on our double's relationship to our soul(can we track/sense it?), and on artificial life-forms like her in general. And seeing if we can pull of the black-vomit-explosion trick with nothing more than a bit of meditation and a conversation-starter. It makes a good way of verifying our identity, so long as we don't think too hard about how much it looks like WE are the weird one...

We didn't see much poison, but it could happen. Can Eveline make something to treat poison? It would probably be similar to our own if that helps... At least our poison is not THAT lethal. So long as the dosage is not extreme(compared to bodyweight) it should be survivable with just some few days' rest and good care. Assuming, of course, that nobody has added any nasty surprises...

Can we enhance the rats to climb walls and maybe sharpen their teeth to blades? We probably can't give them anything based on our own wall-hugging magic... Doesn't hurt to try though, right? Or just longer stronger fingers and sturdier hookier claws. What of improving the hounds' sense of smell? Make their noses bigger or something, but would we know if it worked... Can we try to sense their smell like we can sense their vision? Giving them fangs might help against carapace and they could probably better hold an opponent, so long as they don't want to let go...

Did these look like ratlings? It might be that Ra'at could benefit from some comforting but Alibert would probably be better at it than us. We've only lost one tribe and we didn't like or respect the majority of them and would have left soon of our own accord.

The Danica issue is not so bad. It is annoying that she didn't get her hands dirty, but it is good to have someone keeping a clear view of the whole battle, ready to step in if someone is being overwhelmed, or there is a chance for a fight to be ended quickly. On the other hand, she might have been worried about their numbers, and might have "gotten lost" in the confusion. But she doesn't need to worry about that, we can come find her if she gets lost, we do, afterall, know what her soul smells like...

Ra'at being another passenger on the drider bus is a little embarrassing, and it could be dangerous if she suddenly becomes hostile, but it is difficult to imagine that she would willingly cooperate with our double, or any of Old Jesty's people, regardless of circumstance, and as a sort of hive-queen figure she is probably about as resistant to mind control as anyone, except for the freak kobolt... Honestly, next thing you know she will turn out to be a spy for some secret floating city of conspiracies or something...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 25, 2017, 05:01:16 pm »

Generally, if the race isn't mentioned, assume the creatures are human.

Say, dad?
Hm?
When did you fight the cult?
Hm, long time ago, really. Around thirty years ago, I think. I was still green behind the ears, but Liam kept me alive. That was before I even started using hooks, back then I was a strapping young lad with a rusty axe and daddy issues.
How did that go, anyways?
Hard to really put a number on it. We lost a couple of the other mercs when they split off from the main group, and I took a nasty hit to my shoulder, but we managed to take the drider down without much issue. Once you're past the cultists, it's just one target, after all. I think we took it in alive, even. Once we gave her a couple of whacks she decided to give up.
So it wasn't a wild drider or anything?
No. Misfit kid in an orphanage, somewhere. Common case with driders, I suppose. Your species isn't the most motherly. No instinct in it.
You both continue on without a word. There wasn't much else to say, and your dad isn't that talkative.

The journey continues, and apart from a small run-in with some sewer-hounds, nothing eventful happened. The pack of hounds turned tail when they saw you, preferring to avoid combat with your party. They're not dumb animals, they won't pick fights that aren't worth it. Suddenly, there seems to be a shift in scenery. The moss seems to clear away more and more, and mushrooms take it's place. They weren't rare before, but now they are positively everywhere. Some of them seem to be luminescent as well, almost making Eveline's torches unneeded. Eveline warns everybody not to touch them, however. They're quite poisonous, as the flashy colors suggest. Ra'at scoffs at the advice, and says that they can send somebody on a profound vision. But considering you don't have three days, she decides against proving that.
On the subject of poisons, Eveline states that she is, for all intents and purposes, an expert on the subject. The easiest thing to make in alchemy is something that can harm somebody, after all. Anti-toxins are a bit harder, but she can manage on most. If nothing else, she can help with any fevers or pains that arise from them. You also give her a small explanation on your poison, what it's effects are and all that. She says that she may be able to figure something out, but also points out that if she were to get stung she'd probably straight up die. cuz she smol

During the journey, you also experiment with trying to improve your creatures. Enhancing the dog's sense of smell crosses your mind, but you just don't know how noses work well enough to improve the sense of smell. And you can't really morph flesh quite yet, all you can do is add a sort of wisp in the shape of the addition. It's entirely cosmetic, although you can, with enough dedicated, slightly change the physical appearance. You managed to make the claws of the rat a few millimeters longer, although you feel like you may just get an aneurysm from trying too hard. You lose two mana by altering your rats, but the claws are just a tad more hooked. You don't think it will make a difference. Something did seem to "click" as you were doing it, and you lost less mana when you tried it on the final rat. Perhaps this is something that will come with practice...

Of course, things couldn't keep on going smoothly. In this new biome of mushrooms, new enemies appear. A massive mushroom on small, stubby legs is blocking the path. It's body is a pale white, and the cap is red with some white spots. It doesn't seem too dangerous... As your party cautiously approaches, however, other mushrooms seem to free themselves from the damp floor and begin walking towards you. You wonder how these creatures expect to hurt you, and you wait for their move, first. The one with the red cap towers above everything around, as the other mushrooms barely reach people's hip. The first one to move is Anatoli, who swings his hammer against the massive mushroom. The hammer strikes the soft flesh of the mushroom, and ends up stuck! Before Anatoli can wrench it free, the mushrooms throws it's head forward and headbuts anatoli with it's massive girth. Almost immediately, the other mushrooms follow suit and begin bashing everything in sight, be it stones, the wall, each-other and your party! Yunikki is almost completely unaffected by the bashing, as one of the mushrooms cracks open against her knee-pad. The rest of the party isn't quite so lucky. While the hits aren't the most dangerous, the mushrooms prove to be nearly impossible to take down! Horizontal swings only seems to embed the weapon inside the flesh, and the mushrooms don't seem to particularly care about that. The massive one is already rearing it's head back to strike, but Ra'at jumps forward using you a launching surface! You wince as her feet push into your shoulders, but the effectiveness cannot be underestimated! The slices the creature vertically, and nearly splits it two using nothing but a gnarled tooth of some creature!
It clicks for Eveline.

They're mushrooms! The flesh is weaker if you slice vertically!  Vertical strikes!
Ra'at jumps INSIDE the massive mushroom to carve it from the inside. You, on the other hand, focus your attention on the smaller mushrooms that have been trying to harm you for a while. Your carapace is more than sufficient to safeguard you, in addition to your complete lack of internal bleeding in your spider part. The vertical strikes work out quite well, although the halves still seem to twitch and move even after being completely split in half. Anatoli rushes forward to get his hammer back from the massive creature as it falls backwards from Ra'at's onslaught. During his attempt to wrench it free, he is hit on the knee by a particularly luminescent mushroom, which he backhands away. The small mushrooms explodes in spores, and Anatoli coughs and hack for a while before gathering his senses and finally retrieving his war-hammer. By then, it's pointless. Yunikki was untouchable, and your father's axe works beautifully against these creatures. Even Danica managed to kill a few, although it was with some difficulty. Her blades are a little too short to work. Ra'at is crawling out of the corpse, covered in yellow... juice. She licks herself a little, which makes flinch in disgust. Still, this looks to be another battle without casualties... Let's hope this keeps up.

Anatoli is still coughing, after a little while. He must have caught an allergic reaction, as it doesn't seem to be much more than a cough. You also meet something interesting along the way. A small chest, covered in mushrooms. It must have been here for quite some time, and you're glad you found it! Danica quickly gets to work checking the whole thing over. She finds a trap under the box, attached to a string. She ties the trigger around a sturdy-looking mushroom to stop the trap from going off. Then she gets to lock-picking the little chest. After around a minute, she manages to open it! Inside is:
Nothing but mushrooms. Or, more accurately, an old weathered flag covered top to bottom in fungus. You click your tongue in annoyance, and don't even bother taking it with you. Seems like ages-old treasure isn't always what it's cracked up to be. You continue onwards, as Anatoli coughs once more. He's pushing a handkerchief around his nose and mouth to try and keep the allergies to a minimum, but it doesn't seem to help much. The rest of the journey continues without much issue in this mushroomy land of wonders. The architecture, what little is visible, has also changed. There are more engravings, and the stone looks to be of a different make. You don't know enough about geology to know what the differences are, though. Eventually, you find a large chamber, much larger than the ones you were getting used to. In the middle of the room is a well, with crystal-clear water inside. It seems to be from a different source than the rest of the sewers. The chamber itself is covered in the same massive mushrooms you saw in Ra'at's village. Massive enough to be used as a house, and glowing faintly. Considering that everybody's been traveling for quite some time, people have decided that a rest may be appropriate.

You're getting quite hungry, and you ran out of hound a little while ago. The cookbook states that you can make a dish out of the mushrooms here, but warns that it's a little difficult to get the correct ones. There's also some kind of insect around here that could be used as a meat dish.

During this rest, people will do their own thing. Will you risk the mushrooms or the hunt? Or will you try something else?

Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 25, 2017, 05:46:33 pm »

Go for the hunt, if we get some extras we might be able to animate them. That said, ask Eveline, an alchemist likely has experience discerning "white cap with red spots" from "white cap with red dots"... Catching some minions would be nice, but if we can safely get food started immediately then there is no sense in putting it off. Also ask Eveline to check on the water. It looks nice, but looks aren't always reliable...
Can the dead mushrooms be animated? Maybe it was just the large one animating the swarm, and it might be a bit large, but the little ones... Ehh, probably too cut up, and useless against carapace, which is a problem, but it would be lovely to know if we have the gift for fungal minions.

Also, no watch for Anatoli. Cuz he sick.
1st: Danica and Alibert: Hopefully she can satisfy any Sydney-related questions she has and father shouldn't be anyone's fool, although he might be a bit tired...
2nd: Sydney and Ra'at: We can tell her the story of our double in detail. It might help clear her mind to have the whole story, and our double is only a few days old so there is not much to tell...
3rd: Yunikki and Eveline: Yunikki can tell Eveline about drider bandits and Eveline can tell Yunikki about drider cults and they can have great fun behind our back... Or maybe they will just swap stories of overcoming adversity and discuss the properties of magical materials...

Really, it is pretty stupid to mix up sleep patterns, so really not sold on this plan, but it seems to have advantages. Standard camp-preparations. And we should probably try asking Death if there is any way to exploit our double's soul situation. She uses our soul but doesn't affect it? Like, is it an echo of our soul? Can we make it "louder" or try to stifle it... Or maybe she uses our cosmic identity or something, and "has" a soul because we do, basically creative accounting? Could we then ask where our soul is and get both results? Could she be doing the same? Perhaps she is living in the "wake" of our soul and we could leave something behind to foul her soul? Or maybe our soul still works just fine but is stretch over both of us, and if we can just attune our vision to our own soul, which presumably is difficult because we haven't seen it yet, then we will see a line pointing right to her.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 26, 2017, 04:44:41 pm »

Alright, Sydney... It's just the sewers. What's the worst that could happen? You muse to yourself as you move through the tunnels. You keep yourself close to the wall so you can get the height advantage, but being alone is not something you wanted to have happen. Still, it shouldn't be too difficult. The only things you've seen are mushrooms, and they aren't quite agile enough to catch you. Currently, the main difficulty lies in trying to find what you can even eat around here. Still, the book promised something along the lines of an insect, so that's what you're hunting for. Considering it talked of using just the legs, you suspect the creature must be quite large. But it's surprisingly difficult to find anything of use in this sprawling labyrinth, an you're growing increasingly tired of searching. Just as you're about to turn back, you hear a scratching noise against the stone. Something that sounds like cloth getting sliced neatly, as if by scissors. You think you may have a catch. You cautiously go towards the sound, and go towards the noise. When you turn a corner, you see something rather distasteful. The creature is brown, with six legs. The carapace has a scratched texture, and everything seem to be ball-jointed about the creature. It walks on it's hind legs, and looks like it has three knees too many. The upper limbs look more like scythes than body parts, and the massive eyes seem to have a cluster of dots twitching around. It looks to be forcing it's mandibles inside the corpse of one of the mushroom-men. It's eyes still twitch around even as it gorges itself. The middle two legs look like those of a cockroach, but you can't quite figure out what it would use those for. Perhaps it walks on all it's legs when it moves?

You'll find out soon enough. You step forward, and stick to the wall in the hopes that the creature will not see you. The place is rather dark, after all, and because Eveline has the only torches, you couldn't bring a torch of your own. The light-giving mushrooms have been guiding your way, and you hope the creature before you has to rely upon them as much as you do. You slowly, steadily go closer as the cluster of dots in its bulging eyes continue twitching around. Suddenly, they stop moving, and center on you. You feel only your heartbeat for a second that feels like a minute, two thumps before you rush forward with your sword! Intent on skewering the beast, the tip of your sword flies forward towards it's soft underbelly. The creature twitches one of it's scythe-like legs in the path of it, and attempts to slice you open! With the use of your shield, you effortlessly block the attack. The creature applies very little force when it cuts, which you can use to your advantage. You attempt an overhead hack, and keep your shield up. The creature attempts another slice, but your shield keeps the attack away. Your sword cracks against some of its carapace, and you give it quite the wound. It clicks rapidly, and tries to turn around to flee. You don't allow it, and you manage a solid hit to the abdomen of the creature. The creature nearly seems to explode upon the massive hit, and it collapses in its own gore.
Seems like these things are under high pressure.

Cutting off the back legs is a tougher task than you predicted, but you manage. Dragging the two massive sticks back may prove to be slightly more annoying, but you can rest most of it on your unique physique. The legs are rather thick, and mostly covered in carapace. When you get back to camp, everybody seems to be on edge. Some of your companions are eating their rations. That marks one day of supplies gone, and it's still a while to go. Anatoli is still coughing away, sounding a bit more ragged than before. You hope he improves after a night's sleep. You, meanwhile, get to work on cooking the legs. The well in the middle of the room gives you a pot of water to work with, and you're grateful for that. Tonight's special is boiled crab-ant legs. Making it is as easy as can be, cut the legs into pieces and throw them into a pot of boiling water. Eveline throws in some extra bits and pieces of plants and mushrooms, which colors the water to an unappealing dark purple. You decide against complaining, and let the thing cook for a while.

People keep themselves busy in whatever way they can. Danica is playing around with a butterfly knife, performing all manner of tricks. It's quite interesting to look at, as Eveline seems to show. She looking at the tricks with almost child-like wonder and Danica is reveling in the attention. She even tries some tougher tricks, which eventually leads to her cutting herself with a botched trick. She swears and puts the hurt finger in her mouth. She seems more hurt by the shame than the actual cut. She discontinues further tricks after that. Yunikki seems to be setting up the sleeping bags so there would be the lowest amount of mushrooms under people's nostrils when they wake. She even scrapes the floor a bit with her sword. She doesn't seem to like mushrooms.
Eventually, after talking for a bit about nothing of consequence, the watch begins. Danica and your father are on first watch. They seem to give you the same courtesy of letting you sleep before talking. You fall asleep fairly quick, with the soft hiss of the flame guiding you to an un-easy sleep. Your sleep is troubled with strange dreams, most of them being flashes of... something. A vaguely humanoid shape? it's too blurry, and it's mixed with flashes of things that flashing or twisting. When you are woken, you're almost grateful. The memories of the dream don't really stick around, fortunately.

Ra'at and you stare eachother down for a while, and after about two minutes she pulls out her pipe and begins to smoke. The smoke is white, and not nearly as bad as the first time. She must use a different blend when it's for relaxing. You occasionally hear a wheezing cough from Anatoli, but otherwise things are quiet. Eventually, you say that you need to explain how the double works. Ra'at doesn't seem interested.
Top-sider magic is not the business of the shaman. Ra'at does not wish to hear how abomination appeared, only that it goes away.
And that ends that. The rest of the watch goes by without troubles. You also have a taste of the food you made, and Ra'at is happy to join you. The cooked leg is... strangely delicious. It has a savory taste to it that reminds one of pork, but the texture is more like that of crab. The carapace also makes for a good improvised bowl, allowing Ra'at to add some mushrooms to her meal. You decide to let her do whatever she wants, considering she's more likely to know what she's doing than you. The watch goes by without any further issues, and you suspect this is going to be a quiet night.

Yunikki and Eveline are up next, and they don't wait for people to fall asleep before starting their talks. They're total chatterboxes, but you're tired enough to fall asleep right away. A good watch is a boring one, and you're glad you can close your eyes. You are not troubled by dreams, this time around. Suddenly, however, you are awakened by small clawed hands shaking you by the shoulder!
I-it's the big guy! He stopped breathing!
Yunikki is kneeling next to Anatoli, slapping him lightly against the cheek as if to wake him up.

Anatoli has stopped breathing and appears unresponsive. The rest of the party is still waking up. What do you do?

Bestiary of the fantastical.
Crab-ant.

Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 26, 2017, 05:00:42 pm »

Oh, wow, this is... this is terrifyingly bad! Does Eveline or Ra'at have anything that will wake someone up, like really REALLY wake someone up? Umm, we have magic, magic can fix people. Umm, healing is, like, the worst thing ever to just randomly try one day but not breathing is kind of terrible terrible wrong. Maybe we could magically make him breath, or, umm, like, manually blow air into him? Ask Ra'at, she might have mushroom remedies, but probably just ignores it being local or something... Maybe magically share some of Ra'at's resistance with Anatoli? But wouldn't it be too late to resit it, he needs a sudden burst of healthiness. Eveline and Ra'at must know something about this, and Father has all sorts of experience, does Danica know anything about poisons?

Maintain panic levels at 40-60% and try everything.
Read the First Post!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 26, 2017, 11:42:13 pm »

Do we have some sort of tube-shaped insertable thing.  If so, insert said tube-shaped insertable thing into Anatoli's throat to allow him to breathe, if it's swollen shut.  (It probably is.)  Maybe the carapace is the right shape?  If so boil it first.  But basically: make sure nothing's obstructing his breathing, then start CPR if he's still not breathing.

If he's still dead after that, I guess we could try connecting his soul to his corpse.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 27, 2017, 04:35:55 pm »

God damn it! Wake up Ra'at, she might know something! You say, in a panic. You rush towards the massive guard, who is horribly still. Yunikki is still trying to wake him. You shake his shoulders a bit more roughly, practically smashing his head against the stone floor. Yunikki remains to the side, being oddly calm about the situation. Not that it doesn't affect her, she seems worried, but she doesn't seem to grasp how horrible this is! You don't know what to do! Trying to heal him would probably do more harm than good, considering you don't know even the first thing about healing! Ra'at is by your side in an instant, and is moving her hands over the body. You help her remove Anatoli's shirt, and she feels along the throat with a gnarled finger. She seems practiced and calm as she does so, and eventually seems to find something around the adam's apple. She moves up a little bit, and presses down on the windpipe. She seems unable to push it down much.
 Something stuck, need to make him hack up. Pick up and squeeze chest, hard!
With the help of Yunikki, you try to get the massive body upright enough to even try and squeeze Anatoli's chest. You heave backwards in your efforts, and Anatoli makes a strange gurgle or cough. You try again, and this time you see a cloud of spores and pieces of what look like grass leave his body. You try again, too panicked to even register it, and make him expel another cloud of plant matter.
O-oh my god... His whole throat is stuffed with plant-life! I-i... I don't think we can save him!

Not on your watch! You dig around in your cooking pot, and search for the thinnest piece of carapace you can find. Tragically, there isn't anything that fits the bill, it's all too thick of ridged! Your companions surround Anatoli by this point, arguing about what should be done. Your hands are shaking and your heart is hammering , and you are forced to give up the search. You look towards the party, and see that your father is checking Anatoli's pulse. He makes a gesture at his throat, signifying that the man is officially dead. Your blood runs cold at the idea, and you almost hear the screams of the ritual again among the growing numbness. You shake your head, almost violently, and as you grimace, you create a strong flash of light! Almost instantly, the glow of a soul fills the room. There's so little left...
You grimace, and try to place the soul inside of Anatoli's body as your companions scramble away at the showing of magic. Ra'at screams in terror and has to be stopped by your father before she can run off into the tunnels. It takes every last bit of your power to try and force the soul inside the body, but it's no use. You simply can't bind the soul to anything... Black and white spots appear in your vision as you squeeze out every last bit of mana to keep the soul there, but eventually your legs give out, and your vision blurs. You need to swallow back a bit of your dinner as you try to get your bearings. Casting when completely out of mana is disorienting, evidently. Anatoli's soul dissipates completely. You curse loudly as you another person that relied on you. The people you met during your time as a bandit... They were horrible people, but they still didn't deserve that. Neither did Anatoli...

You don't know how long you spent laying there, but eventually your father shakes you out of it. He looks at you with a father's pity, and hugs you.
It's not your fault, honey.
I...I know, but... It's not fair!
Nothing's fair in these kind of things, Sydney... Is this the first time you lost somebody? Eveline says. The mention makes another twinge of guilt arise. You're acting like a little girl!
Shut. up, Kobolt. Yunikki hisses through her teeth. She's lost people before, and it hits her hard, alright... Don't make it worse.
Eveline looks like a beaten dog for a moment, and then just stares at the floor. You just grunt and collect yourself to the best of your ability. You take a shuddering breath, and sigh. You still feel the tingles of adrenaline in your fingers, and a cold and crushing feeling in your windpipe. You didn't even know the man, but it still hits hard, for some reason. Maybe because he's part of your party. Maybe because it's just not fair. You sigh again, shake your head and tell everybody to get ready to move. There no reason to stick around...

When everybody is on the move again, Ra'at moves a little closer to you. She begins to speak in an oddly mournful tone
Ra'at can understand loss of a clan-mate. We shall share in grief, but not let it overcome us. Remember that others need you, and try not to wallow.

...Thanks, I guess. I-i'm most likely just overreacting, i guess... We all know the risks.
Typical. Feeling shame over natural feelings. Hm. Learn from Ra'at, and don't feel shame over who you are and how you feel. Now, come.
We close to inner sanctum.

Sure enough, the area changes once more. All of the moss ad mushrooms slowly begins to fade and is soon replaced by all manner of engravings and statues. This feels like a true dwarf fortress of old, even if it WAS created by humans. Everything is strangely well preserved, apart from the thick layers of dust and cobwebs. Ra'at stops the party at this point and begins to sniff deeply. She seems to grimace a little, and turns to you.
We have arrived. Ra'at smell members of clan nearby. Your twin must be close. Remember, I will not see any blood of my clanmates on your hands. You have lost one of yours, you must understand.
That we do... I guess we're gonna have to sneak, from here on out.
My specialty... Just follow my lead. Danica says, and she moves herself to the front. Sure enough, she's almost completely silent now. She adopts a funny way of walking that seem to spread her weight around so she doesn't make footsteps. She also frequently moves ahead to make sure the halls are safe. You feel a bit like a clumsy giant next to her. There are many doors throughout the structure here, and at one point you even had to make use of them to avoid a patrol of ratlings. They shuffle forward, wielding spears that look as haggard as they are. They don't look too good, that's for sure. Ra'at is shaking at the state of life of her clanmates. She also says she recognizes some of the other ratlings. They belong to closer tribes. As you can't go slaughtering the ratlings willy-nilly, you WILL need a plan.

Sneaking around won't last forever with a full party. You should make a choice on how you wish to proceed through the temple. Trickery, sneaking, or just plain finding a way to take down your enemies non-lethally, all are ways to go about it. Note that not all of the guards are going to be ratlings, just the overwhelming majority.

Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 28, 2017, 02:19:46 am »

Ask Ra'at about the smell. She knows more about what Ratlings can sense than anyone, and ratlings are probably going to smell more than anyone else, if for no other reason then that they are accustomed to the local nasal ambience.

The undead might not... breath... ... or do any other... alive... stuff that might smell or make a noise, but they are still more-than day-old corpses even if they are amongst the lightest and most weight-distributed members of our group. On the other hand, the way our double is treating the ratlings, two-day-old dead rat may not be an odd odour, and they do make excellent scouts if we can spare the mana... They would probably work better if instructed to refrain from doing all that scratching and sniffing and rolling that they seem to insist upon as though they were not corpses. They may also be immune to direct mind control, or not, it is difficult to tell exactly what they have in terms of mental faculties. It would be nice to have them in the fight, but they are probably either very stealthy or very obvious.

Danica is our expert, ask her who is noisy.

We can scout from the roof and see souls through walls somewhat, that is valuable sneaking ability if we have the mana for it which should make up for the distinctive scuttling which stands out against the local foot-falls.

Eveline should be stealthy enough, and she can ride with us, but the alchemy set would probably need to stay behind so she would want to pack in advance. On the other hand she is not really a combatant. She certainly proved herself in a scrap, but she is more of an expert, medic, and supplier. most of us can probably throw, splash, or pour a vial well enough if we only have the one sort to worry about and she is sorely lacking in weapons or armour, and there is that thing she said about poison... We... haven't had the best luck with poison...

Yunikki's heavy armour has been salvation more than once, but there are certain sayings about heavy armour and stealth...

Father should have enough experience to get around without being noticed much, and that hook could end the fight quickly if she doesn't see it coming. If she is still using her old tricks then her underlings should lose their loyalty when she stops imposing it.

Ra'at will probably want to watch us, and should be quiet enough, and she might be able to talk her brood out of the fight now that our double is presumably focused on other things. On the other hand, she may exposed herself foolishly in the attempt, and her brood might recognise her somehow. At least the shadow incident ought to have cleared out any mind-control our double left on her.

I would guess that Yunikki and Eveline will be staying behind with the undead, but we have experts for a reason. Eveline is professionally an alchemist, and is someone we really want to have to fix us up if we get hurt in the fight. She has a free pass to keep herself as safe as possible as both a civilian and a medic and should bear in mind that she is as likely to save someone by cauterising a wound and treating poison as she would by throwing some powder in a minion's face or setting our double on fire. Ra'at isn't technically part of our expedition, we intend to honour our deal and she can do what she wants, but we can ill afford to have her be discovered. If she is going to try to wake up any of her people then they should be restrained and quieted first. But really, this is Danica's call

Do we still have our poison box? Are driders immune to their own venom? does she have the same venom as us?
Remind everyone to watch the ceilings.
With this many underlings, assassination is the only real option. But if it turns into a fight, we can try to distract her with what Death Said, about how the hunger won't ever lessen, and that Death doesn't think she can be saved, but we can still try if she surrenders, releases her hold on everyone, and allows us to restrain her. She's only a few days old and wouldn't want this if she were sane. It would be so nice if nobody else needed to die. If only the watch hadn't underestimated her so much and let her escape.
Make sure we have something that burns on us. It should distract her enough to break most of her influence... Or itching instead, something on-contact distracting really.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:51:28 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 216