Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184907 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #375 on: February 16, 2017, 05:17:16 pm »

Ugh, fine, take the newly-formed hand and stick it in the hole(the hole in the pillar of course!) and see about replacing whatever energies are on the hand with your own. This whole thing reeks of a trick to get some sort of evil limb-replacement for your soul. The last thing you want is to wake up with some sort of trap-hand that will occasionally go berserk and try to kill people or grab forbidden artefacts or something...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 17, 2017, 05:35:46 pm »

Skulls and riddles

You shove the hand inside the hole that seems to make the most sense, the one that seems to be closer than most. A familiar thunk is heard, and you lost the damn hand again. It doesn't seem quite as animated as it was when it punched you. You put some energy in it again, and make it crawl to the end. A loud buzzer is heard, and nothing else happens. Clearly, something went wrong. You get another hand, and shove it in another hole. This continues, until, eventually, the light goes out and the pillar rumbles and shakes for a while. The pillar retracts into the ground, and eventually it reveals a door. You hop down and move on. You did not replace your hand when you hopped down, which will likely prove to be a costly mistake. But whatever, you just want to get to the end of this. The newest room is completely dark, except for a skull in the middle of the room. You slide your own tongued towards it, revealing... nothing. It's a completely plain room. How spectacularly boring.

As you come closer, the skull stares you down with a single purple eye. When you reach it, it speaks.
Answer me these questions three, 'ere the other side you will see!
...What other side?
Two torches light up at the other side of the room. Apparently, there's an unending chasm between you and the far end, starting from behind the skull. A large door is in-between the torches and it has a very large mural with a load of bones and possibly some figures in robes. You don't really care anymore.
Technically, I'm seeing the other side right no-WHAT, is your quest.
Ah, being ignored, am I?
WHAT, is your color? and WHAT, is your favorite part of the undead body?
Is this a vague reference to something? Has the author ran out of ideas? I mean, this has to be the end of this little fever dream, right?

A rumble of eternity fills the chamber again, shaking the foundation of this imaginary tower to its core.
oh my god, yes, just answer the riddle and get a power boost. sassy people like you are why my dudes don't talk.
I mean, aren't these like mostly opinion questions?
Almost. The opinion needs to align with what WE like. Now come on, we all wanna go home. answer the questions

FINAL RIDDLE!
Answer the questions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't worry, this whole thing will be back to its former quality when we re-enter the real world. I kinda wrote myself into a hole with this minimalist world and it has not been a very good week for me in general. Sorry for the last couple updates, I know they were kinda shit.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:27:47 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 17, 2017, 06:06:38 pm »

Something, Red, and Skull. Or was it black?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 17, 2017, 07:16:04 pm »

Well we still have some blue bits don't we? Although we have lots of colours so is it the most common one of what happens if we mix all of our colourations together? What about internal colours? We must be mostly red(Or do driders have green or blue blood or something?)? Or maybe we have been filled with ichor since, umm, bad things happened... Or is "our colour" some sort of intrinsic spiritual thing? We have necromancy magic and that seems to be somewhat purple-aligned... And right now our colours are completely off, but we really don't identify with our current body-scheme so...

As for a quest... Living to a ripe-old 2000 with our freedom and dignity mostly intact seems like a good standby. That generally includes all the little things along the way such as the world not befalling any irrecoverable disaster and escaping the attention of dead gods and not being completely crushed by the fates of our much-beloved but sadly short-lived companions. On that thought, a decent backup quest would be finding some form of practical immunity to persistent degeneration. It'd be nice to drag your companions along with you through the ages...

We have really been getting a lot of use out of the hands. the claws worked pretty well on our pet and animating a severed hand is convenient. But that is not the question! The question is the favourite part of the undead body, not the favourite undead body-part... And it isn't capitalised, um, it doesn't sound capitalised, so it isn't a specific undead body... I guess the necromantic energy that makes the undead body work would be the most important and useful. That is a bit different than "favourite" but it is, in some respects, the only part of the undead body, the rest of it is just a body with no intrinsic undeadness to it... That said, undead scorpion stinger-tails are pretty cool!
But perhaps you should ask if they mean vertebrate undead or invertebrate undead... Honestly, exoskeletons are their whole grouping too, and even then, a crab has much different bits than an ant... And then you have, well, driders, I mean, sure, your have vertebrae, maybe? Your upper body seems very flexible, so you could have something else holding your rigid, but it seems extremely unlikely that your, um, abdomen?( It would be an abdomen on a spider but you sort of have a vertebrate abdomen too, or half of one?) would be consistent with a vertibrate. It would make a lot of sense if you had a cartilage network splayed out through your abdomen like a web that feeds into your thorax like a spine. In that case your are, as much as anything, a fish! Although a cuttlefish's setup would also work...

Oh, I suppose our answers should be:
To live long and prosper.
Red, no blue, wait, red, umm >_<
Do you mean undead giant amoeba, slime, tree, vine, fern, root, grass, flesh-abomination, sectioned, shelled, jellies, starfish, walking-mushrooms, fungal landscapes, bipedal chimera, quadrupedal chimera, greater chimera, mass chimera, multimorphs, amorphs, gods, elementals, or concepts?
Oh, lets just say the necromantic energy that animates them...

P.S.
 I am actually enjoying this interlude, and it is not impeding my tension over just how different things will be when we wake up. I am going for the snarkiness route because it is:
A: fun.
B: this dream-sequence presumably has consequences, so going for the most bizarre and meta route possible seems likely to produce interesting results.
C: Spider-bro is social, and we found someone to talk at!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 17, 2017, 07:19:33 pm »

Well we still have some blue bits don't we? Although we have lots of colours so is it the most common one of what happens if we mix all of our colourations together? What about internal colours? We must be mostly red(Or do driders have green or blue blood or something?)? Or maybe we have been filled with ichor since, umm, bad things happened... Or is "our colour" some sort of intrinsic spiritual thing? We have necromancy magic and that seems to be somewhat purple-aligned... And right now our colours are completely off, but we really don't identify with our current body-scheme so...

As for a quest... Living to a ripe-old 2000 with our freedom and dignity mostly intact seems like a good standby. That generally includes all the little things along the way such as the world not befalling any irrecoverable disaster and escaping the attention of dead gods and not being completely crushed by the fates of our much-beloved but sadly short-lived companions. On that thought, a decent backup quest would be finding some form of practical immunity to persistent degeneration. It'd be nice to drag your companions along with you through the ages...

We have really been getting a lot of use out of the hands. the claws worked pretty well on our pet and animating a severed hand is convenient. But that is not the question! The question is the favourite part of the undead body, not the favourite undead body-part... And it isn't capitalised, um, it doesn't sound capitalised, so it isn't a specific undead body... I guess the necromantic energy that makes the undead body work would be the most important and useful. That is a bit different than "favourite" but it is, in some respects, the only part of the undead body, the rest of it is just a body with no intrinsic undeadness to it... That said, undead scorpion stinger-tails are pretty cool!
But perhaps you should ask if they mean vertebrate undead or invertebrate undead... Honestly, exoskeletons are their whole grouping too, and even then, a crab has much different bits than an ant... And then you have, well, driders, I mean, sure, your have vertebrae, maybe? Your upper body seems very flexible, so you could have something else holding your rigid, but it seems extremely unlikely that your, um, abdomen?( It would be an abdomen on a spider but you sort of have a vertebrate abdomen too, or half of one?) would be consistent with a vertibrate. It would make a lot of sense if you had a cartilage network splayed out through your abdomen like a web that feeds into your thorax like a spine. In that case your are, as much as anything, a fish! Although a cuttlefish's setup would also work...

Do you mean undead giant amoeba, slime, tree, vine, fern, root, grass, flesh-abomination, sectioned, shelled, jellies, starfish, walking-mushrooms, fungal landscapes, bipedal chimera, quadrupedal chimera, greater chimera, mass chimera, multimorphs, amorphs, gods, elementals, or concepts?

P.S.
 I am actually enjoying this interlude, and it is not impeding my tension over just how different things will be when we wake up. I am going for the snarkiness route because it is:
B: this dream-sequence presumably has consequences, so going for the most bizarre and meta route possible seems likely to produce interesting results.
+
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2017, 09:57:49 am »

P.S.
+All the ones.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2017, 04:24:54 pm »

Alternatively, the skull must know how this test works, so just throw it into the terrible abyss of doom and copy its avoidance strategies.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2017, 07:22:22 pm »

Riddles and surprising death

I guess... my quest would be to live to the ripe old age of two thousand, performing whatever necessary world-saving and further to make sure that comes to pass, and to die content.
So you don't have a quest right now, is what you're saying?
I have a two-thousand year plan in the works, what do you have?
Fair enough, fair enough. I don't get paid enough for this. what about the color question, then?
I.... Don't really know? I'm usually blue. A light-blue. But somebody stole most of that color away from me!
Well, you still have the extra carapace on you... Well, that's a literal answer. I think you get points for cheek, but the actual "correct" answer, in your case, was orange. Whatever, no abyss for you yet. Final question? What's the best part of the undead body.
What type of undead are we talking about? We've got all sorts, you know. Amoeba, slimes, trees, vines, ferns, roots, grass, flesh-abomination, plant-abomination, sectioned, shelled, starfish-like, those mushroom-type zombies, general fungal landscapes in some cultures... Bipedal, quadrupedal chimera, greater chimeras, flesh golems, greater flesh golems, some variants of mimics in the deadland dungeons (goes great on toast), dead gods, elementals according to some interpretations of what constitutes as alive, the average humanoid zombie, , some types of armor, some types of weapons, sealife, and of course, driders. They all have so many different parts and rules, under what jurisdiction am I expected to look?
I... I don't know? I mean what ev-HUAARG
Suddenly, the skull begins glowing and floating higher than before! It starts twitching, seemingly seizing as it continues to scream and twist. Finally, it flies over the chasm, and explodes violently. The pieces miraculously don't hit you, they all fall into the abyss. whatever splinters or teeth that reaches the ground you stand on seem to bounce backwards, joining the rest of the skull in the unending void.
Oh, by the way? Favorite part's the necromantic energy!

Again the foundations of this very world and your concept of mortality shake and seemingly crumble
oh my me. the correct answer was a skeleton but that's even better. shit, man, i didn't even think of that. props to you. well, you managed to make one of the most unique experiences for the average magician into a total shitshow. i'm not even mad, that's amazing. course, can't give you the typical rewards, which woulda been  whatever spells you picked up here, and a little mana boost. big thing was usually the respect of the your peers and teachers, leading to exponential learnings and stuff. how did you get in here, anyway?
I let them take a bunch of samples.
samples? i mean, driders are rare, but not rare enough for my birdboys to ask a live one. you do anything weird?
I DID get marked by the "gestating god". Is that relavent?
you DID WHAT? HOW ARE YOU ALIVE?
Uh... resisted it because i'm a drider and somebody helped me out during the ritual?
WHAT THE DONKEYDOODELING FUCKNUGGETS? THERE'S BEEN A RITUAL? SHE'S ACTUALLY WAKING UP? oh man. i'm gonna be busy real soon... alright, pity point: imma tell you who i am. i'm Death. like, The Death. with a capital letter
Neato.
well, thats it, i guess. you can boast that you spoke to death itself. before you go, gimme your mark. imma give you some proof and deface that gestating asshole's body-graffity.

A searing pain, even through the reduced feeling of this dreamscape, begins at your lower back. In the middle of the mark, you'd guess. The white-hot pain soon fades, and the door lights up. A bridge extends from the door, allowing passage. You stumble through, making sure not to fall into the abyss, and eventualy reach the door. Before you re-enter the waking world, you turn around for a final say.
Thanks for helping me! It was fun crashing this place.
You enter the door, and blackness takes you.

Your eyes fly open, and you feel your spider body again. You are SO glad that's back, the feeling of complex hydraulics is so much better than muscles. You feel a little numb, and your fingers are tingling. Nobody is around you right now, the whole group is looking at the samples they took from you. They put them in jars, and doing all sorts of things with them at the moment. looking at them through microscopes, applying magic... Quite a few things. You are on a table, and quietly slip off. The main guy looks at you, and nods. You just walk out the room, those guys are still too creepy for your blood. When you step outside (the door has been fixed, by the way) it looks to be past noon. You are pretty hungry, but you've got work to do.

Go eat something anyways.
Not eating will make you a little cranky, and you deserve it!

Get to work
It's your first day on the job. You'd better do the job right.

Mooch off some wizard.
Some of these guys should have something... Of course, it's probably not that polite.

Other

LEVEL UP!

Stats

Remember that you need should find a bed and sleep for a proper level-up.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:29:58 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 18, 2017, 07:54:08 pm »

Orange? Where do we get orange from? No matter, let's see if we can mooch off of Meandra and pay her back later. Otherwise, ugh, better get to work if that doesn't pan out, it IS the first day afterall. On the other hand, they seem to have difficulty filling the job, and we have just been through, umm, whatever that was...

P.S.
 *inane giggling* : D

P.P.S.
 Huh... So god sassing isn't a skill : (
Read the First Post!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 18, 2017, 08:01:30 pm »

Orange is our Text color, thats where.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #385 on: February 18, 2017, 10:35:04 pm »

Meta. Props to you spleens!
Eat. Its good for you. Check out the change to your mark

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 19, 2017, 12:07:59 am »

Can't help but read all these lines in a high-pitched voice with a British accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tEJ3kd2X5c

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 19, 2017, 01:14:08 am »

Raid Team Birdy, even death-cults have gotta eat, and they owe us, we can claim it off of our payment, or maybe get food in exchange for a tail of Death's penchant for punishing cheaters who aren't really cheaters, I mean really, who expects a spider to stay on the ground? They spin webs for a reason...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 19, 2017, 04:22:54 pm »

Weird pig stuff

You should eat something, but to be honest? You don't even need to leave the tower. Somebody should have something in the way of food, and you've got a good idea of where to start looking. Those birdbrains probably have some food on them, and you have some sort of extra respect now, right? they won't mind if you steal something to nibble...
You wander back inside, and go upstairs. They are all fascinated by your... samples. You are kind of wondering how, exactly, they managed to get a jar of yellow liquid out of you, but you're going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they remained decent. They also have a very large chunk of meat, some of it looking rather burnt. They are probably comparing marked to unmarked flesh. Still, it's kind of creepy how much of it they have. That's two fists of meat, right there. Speaking of meat, you look around for something to munch on, but there's nothing here. Well, nothing you'd dare eat, to be honest, plenty of unidentified chunks lying around. Looks like these people don't snack when they're on the job. You shrug, and move on. None of the masks even noticed you.

You go back to your cleaning job, hoping that you'll find something along the way. There's plenty of edible stuff in the alchemy room, you're sure of it. You'll be busy in there for quite a while, either way, with all the bits and pieces that stain. You grab your cleaning supplies, and get started. There's already somebody working in here, a very twitchy-looking dwarf. Well, he's not a "dwarf"- dwarf. He looks to be a very short human. He lacks the stocky build, after all. His hands shake, and his breathing seems a bit short and panicky. You don't care, though, you've got a floor to clean. You get started on the opposite side of the room, and start sweeping up a pile of pink, glittery dust. You never liked glitter. The herpes of crafting supplies, your father called it, and you're rather inclined to believe it. The damn stuff gets everywhere. You make sure that you don't get it on your person, and bring it over to one of the three bins in the rooms. Most likely, people are still expected to clean their own mess a little, but that gets done as often as people read terms and agreements. As you clean, you take a look around the room. There's a few things here to fill your belly with, but of course, things might be a little... dangerous. You saw an apple earlier, but you noticed just in time that the stem was colored blue. You're not trying that...

Suddenly, the midget turns around, screams when he sees you, and drops some of the stuff he was holding. It falls to the ground, bubbling and hissing, as quickly starts to run without even a word. Before you can even call after him, a hand bursts out of the liquid! A fat, pink arm comes out of the small, bubbling liquid on the floor. More of the creature begins to crawl out of the floor, far more than what could possible come out of the small, bubbling puddle. Eventually, you see what lies before you. A mix between a man and a pig, squealing in rage. It looks like it was stitched, cut and burnt together out of all manner of parts. It's like a grotesque mockery of the human form. But most importantly, is that you recognize it.
These are the type of pigs that appeared during the ritual... You saw men twisting and tearing to form this creature.

It still roars, squeals and grunts for a while, and then it starts moving towards you. It's completely naked, and is holding a butcher's cleaver, serrated using with a random assortment of glass, wooden chunks and metal. The tongue sticks out of the mouth, and the breathing sounds labored and tired. You remove your sword from its sheath, and take your shield off you back and on your left arm. This thing is dying right here, right now! You charge forward at the lumbering abomination, looking to catch it off balance with a shield bash. It's too slow and stupid to get out of the way, but it's tough. It merely reels a little, and counterattacks! You take a hit to your side, made considerably worse because of the serrated edge. Some chunks of the weapon come loose in the wound, and you cry out in pain. You take a few steps back, and just barely manage to block the next hit of the cleaver with your shield. It's not fast, but by the gods is it STRONG. You are sent reeling, and take another few steps backwards. You shove against a table, knocking some things on the ground, but you're past caring on that part. The lumbering creature tries another swing, overhead this time. You try something different, and try to slash at the arm as it swings it's believable weight down on your shield. you gave it a nasty cut, but the blow still goes through, harming your arm. It squeals at you, sticking out its head in anger. Spit covers your face, and you jump to the attack! You go for a brutal stab to the chest, and go right through! The creature continues screaming and squealing as it drops the cleaver and tries to pull out the sword by the blade. It cuts off a finger before stopping, and then charges at you, spitting up blood and spittle. Before it even reaches you, an explosion of sound fills the room, and a flash of lightning strikes it in the back. Your sword acts as a conductor, and the whole pig lights up like a fireworks display! Electricity arcs from his teeth to the sword as its flesh cooks and boils. Then, it falls backwards, dead.

You look at your helper, and see the wizard from yesterday with his multicolor lightning. His massive beard and peculiar robe give the look of the most stereotypical wizard ever, but power seems to radiate off him. His eyes are a solid green, but soon they revert to a more normal coloring.  Electricity arcs between his fingers, but that also fades. Eventually, he speaks.
Are you alright, miss? Sorry I could not come sooner, I was quite a ways up. If you are injured, you must speak to the Order, below. They know more healing magic than I do.
T-thanks. You wince as the adrenaline fades and leaves you with the full sensation of shrapnel in your side.
Hold on, let me help.
He envelops you in a teal glow, and telekinetically lifts you off the ground. He brings you to the order, and yells for them to help you as you are put on the table. You'd protest against this, but honestly, you probably shouldn't move too much. The order very rapidly begins to heal you partially, but they stop and remove some of the pieces from the cruel weapon by hand. You yelp, but it's not painful when they do it. You feel immediate relief.

Thank you. Seriously.
No trouble... Here, have some chocolate.
The man reaches inside his robe, and pulls out a large piece of brown chocolate.
What?
I find that it helps for people that have been in a stressful situation. And you seem a little hungry.
You take the piece of chocolate, and take a bite. As it turns out, chocolate is literally the best thing in the world. Your eyes light up as you have a first taste of the savory, sweet piece of paradise. You make a pleased sound as you eat the piece, and the wizard chuckles. You crawl off the table, and see the beakheads are collecting some the blood that leaked out of the wound.
Now, I'm sorry to ask this, but do you know where that creature came from? I've never seen anything like that... Hold on.
The man takes another things out of his robe, a baggie of something. Then, he takes two mugs out of his massive sleeves (how does he keep them in there?) and finally a kettle of water from his breast-pocket. He makes the water boil in an instant using a strange blue flame, and adds what looks like beans to the pot. He performs some more magic, and the liquid turns black, with a brown edge to it.
I find talking goes easier over coffee. I must warn you, though, it's a little bitter. Now, what do you know about the creature?
The order sits around the table, preferring the ground over chairs. They seem to be interested as well. You see some of them are carrying the corpse of the creature inside the chamber, as well. They put a large piece of cloth over it, which ends the smell of rotten bacon from permeating through the room.

What do you tell him?
Usually i'd give you some options, but they're kind of limited right now. I'll reword the things you want to mention.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:30:22 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 19, 2017, 05:49:20 pm »

If you still have some of that chocolate stuff, try dipping it in the coffee.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 216