Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184881 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #3165 on: August 20, 2019, 04:06:23 am »

We have basic fire magic, should be enough to blow up powder.  If it's underground..  well, maybe we can give our little spiders tiny torches?  They are expendable.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: August 20, 2019, 11:55:52 pm »

We're a one armed necromancer, not a spartan. We should go back, resurrect a few of those birds, and then either have them cause a distraction so we can loot the caravan, or use them to help find the powder somehow? I'd say no to sniping the leader, at least not like this. Even if it works, it would just give away our position.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: August 21, 2019, 12:48:33 am »

Yeah.  I think we can manage an assassination, but not in front of a crowd of thousands.  Couple well-placed zombies might do it, and some spiders can probably find the bombs.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: August 21, 2019, 05:37:43 am »

Where are they keeping the powder? Might be able to blow them sky-high from here...
Well, there's just a few barrels out on the square, but most of it is still in the storage. I... I don't know if they're planning on placing the powder or have already done most of it. The way he said it is ambiguous.
And he's not about to explain it to us... Well, we're killing that thing no matter what we choose. Might need to retreat first.
But we could get to that cart!
The bomb can wait. We need to prevent this quarantine from breaking. Last thing I want to see is a heap of lizards with bombs.
So what's the plan? We shift gears to the smith and try to warn the Beaks? The Blighted Beak ones, I mean. That'll be confusing in the future.
Just call them birds, it's easier.
I assume you'll go back to resurrect some of those birds? Hefty on the mana, sure, but a little backup can always help.
That was the plan, that and looking for a better opportunity. Maybe send some of the spiderites with a torch...
Aren't big enough to hold a proper torch, Sydney. At least not without burning themselves.
Damn. You're right.
The big lizard is moving! See that cart over there? The one with the massive tarp? I think he's going to be guiding it.

Guessing from the massive amount of movement going in one direction, it'll be the big lizard and his little horde of horrors. Three dozen, by your rough estimate, all armed with spears and ranged weaponry. Crossbows, for the most part, which is likely going to be a problem. The lizards seem disorganized, but the big one is guiding them into a more dangerous unit. There are several crossbowlizards on top of the cart, several of the heavier armed lizards (some even wear armor!) are sent to the outside, acting as perimeter guards. The rest, however, are just together in a hodgepodge of snarling, laughing, and the occasional bit of hopping and dancing. They're having the time of their lives, apparently.
Not all of the lizards are leaving, though, and more than enough remain on Beggar's Point that you can't just go in. Three dozen is barely a quarter of the total lizards present, though the most dangerous-looking ones are all with the cart. You also note that the cart is being pulled by other lizards. Those ones look... thicker, even more bestial. They have massive digitigrade legs, and comparatively small torsos. Very raptor-like. Guessing from the clothing, however, they are most certainly former humanoids.
Well, you have time. The cart isn't too fast, and they're undoubtably going to the main road. The tarp looks too heavy to be able to set it alight with spark alone.
Miriam, could you burn through that tarp?
Won't work. I recognize the make of such tarps. They're enchanted with dousing runes. Any magic hotter than 30 degrees is neutered. you'll have to lift it up. Strange they would have that, those things are very rare.
Many cities took on those tarps as they began to fill up their powder reserves. It was a faux pas not to have one, despite the cost... Somebody made a da-darn killing off that. Anyway, they found a way to mass-produce it once they started applying blood magic. They had ample supply from a defeated kingdom.
Blood magic? Interesting concept, but I neglected looking into it. Too cruel.
Trying to imagine just what blood magic is makes your skin crawl. Too cruel for this bitch? What the hell does it DO? You only heard of blood magic in regards to one particular student in the tower that got executed by the paladin order. Come to think of it, you saw one of the saved victims. They looked... drained.
Nothing to be done about it. We need to reach that cart and take the tarp off. Then, preferably, not blow ourselves up. We'll need to take those lizards down.
A gun would detonate that whole thing, and it would bypass the tarp, I bet. It stops magic, but it can't stop a bullet.
We don't have a gun. The smith would still have to make one.
What if he has parts? Just needs to make a few additions. Those lizards well take a long while to plant the bombs, we can take out the cart and neutralize the bombs seperately. Dead lizards and easier defusal.
A lot of maybe's, still.
The drider guard will help if it means protecting the quarantine. They're outside the walls, patrolling I bet. So we could warn the quarantine holders!
We need to REACH them, first. And we spent just about a week here trying to get something that will clear a path to the exit.
W-what if I fly in?
She seems very eager to do it for you. Except she still looks like a bird...

Yunikki's plan
Hurry up on the gun collection, and you'll be able to take down the whole thing in one fell swoop!

Miriam's plan
Send her to the quarantine holders. She'll just have to hope she won't be shot on sight. Or attacked on the way. She doesn't have the same claws as the other harpies.

Ambush them with zombies
Rush back and use some birds. Of course, three dozen armed lizards won't be bothered by three or so zombies on your end.

Forget it, sneak to the runestone cart.
It's in a good corner, you're certain you can reach it with some guile. We get the bomb together, we might be able to blow up the lizards along with Jack! Sucy makes more than she needs, right? If only she was here to confirm that...

Other

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Spiders

Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: August 21, 2019, 08:02:18 pm »

I don't think we need a gun.  Can we just heat up a bit of metal like a dart or a pointy tip on a javelin and throw it through the barrel?  We are wicked strong, after all.  All we'd need is a leak to blow it up with our fire spell, even if the hot metal doesn't do it, which it very well could.

Also, we can back that up with a lot of siphoning cloud, and then we just fight like a necromancer.  Keep a lit flame, kill someone with doombolt, gather the soul up, soul battery it, kill next guy with doombolt, while the siphoning cloud keeps us healthy and we add a revive or two to keep from being completely swarmed.

Plus, maybe we could also make a web to give us better mobility than these lizards.  One would probably make for good spiders, too.

The big upside is we'd have a chance of capturing the gunpowder, which will make our bomb a lot more effective.  Not to mention the runic fabric.

Plus, well, if things go bad, we can eat something to heal via vampirism and our consumption ability.  These upgraded raptor-lizards will probably give us something nice.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:08:57 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: August 21, 2019, 08:26:01 pm »

Let's see, these lizards have armor, shields, crossbows, the sense to put the crossbows behind the shields, a sizable advantage in numbers, and a big leader guy to finish us off. This still isn't a fight we can win as a combat necromancer, and certainly not as a one-armed fighter. A group of birds nearly gave us a rum for our money just now, you want to fight those but with weapons, tactics, and a much tougher boss.

Yeah, let's go for the gun.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: August 21, 2019, 08:35:22 pm »

To be fair, most if not all of the damage was friendly-fire.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: August 22, 2019, 05:50:38 pm »

weren't we going cart> blacksmith mission> the rest?

maybe even on the runestone cart we might find something that help us with the lizard problem faster, otherwise we might still prefer to be better armed (weapon-wise not talking about the arm... although the arm too... we could had got the blueprint or a rough sketch about those arms on dwarven city, trading that weird stone for other sources of power might work)

we should remenber next time to raise our spiderites as zombies, and we might get a second thrown on those plus some extra eyes to be our spies, we don't waste mana so when they get killed again we just get our mana back
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: August 23, 2019, 01:57:12 pm »

Update tomorrow. Delay due to writing literally all day already. One note, however
To be fair, most if not all of the damage was friendly-fire.

Lightning has a unique quirk of being extremely flashy and a lot more painful than it actually damages, not to mention you take slightly less magic damage. You only took about 10 damage from the thunderbolt itself, and the bird would have done more damage if it got a few shots off.
Put it this way: despite being a less-than-lethal weapon, a taser will put your ass on the ground. Which is why the lightning bolt was given the most narrative attention, despite not doing as much damage as some well-aimed pecks from birdmutants.
Also I wanted to reintroduce restraint, considering you won't fall back to Alexia when things get bad nor do you get a distraction.
Further note: you can't regain restraint points until you have spent them all. Have fun with that.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: August 23, 2019, 02:02:52 pm »

Why do we have a restraint system at all, Spleeny?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: August 23, 2019, 02:13:49 pm »

Why do we have a restraint system at all, Spleeny?
I’m guessing it has something to do with the Ancient One we summoned

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: August 23, 2019, 05:53:15 pm »

Restraint was originally put in place when I expected there would be a lot of trouble in regards to vampirism. I then realized that it is actually exceedingly easy to get blood, considering that where you can get meat you can gather blood. Hunting is just about a non-issue, and packing blood lunches was such a no-brainer I just felt like it was unneeded. Crimson Curse sufferers weren't exactly picky about their meals, either.
Now I'm reintroducing it, because Sydney is acting a little bit off. In what way is up to you to figure out (though I've been fairly explicit in what it is, exactly), but mostly I want social situations to have more resource management and danger.
Neat stuff I do:

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: August 23, 2019, 08:53:32 pm »

That seems like a lot of damage given the whole eight feet tall thing and our carapace.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: August 24, 2019, 02:40:59 pm »

That seems like a lot of damage given the whole eight feet tall thing and our carapace.
Lightning is also armor piercing, but it is less effective based on size. If you weren't so big, you would have taken 10. And harpies and similar flying enemies are extra weak against lightning.
Strangely, it's the most complicated damage type I've made, as most of the others are fairly straightforward/didn't appear. Fire would be a relatively straight-forward damaging type affected by armor type (metal would heat up and continue cooking the victim, and frost magic would be something that grows worse the longer it's applied, with heavy resistances in the right armor.

I WAS going to update today, but the actual votes on what to do are an equal three-way split. One for the gun, the other for an assault on the cart (with minor preparation) and another that says to go for the cart with the runestones. We've been doing a bit of meta talk in the meantime, so I'm not too bothered.
Neat stuff I do:

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: August 24, 2019, 04:49:00 pm »

I vote for the gun plan.

I assume that necromatic damage also ignores armor, but only works on stuff that has a soul?
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 216