Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184858 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #315 on: February 04, 2017, 10:15:45 pm »

Professional.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 05, 2017, 06:49:57 am »

Spend some time trying to see what your pet sees. And buy a cheap hat to keep the sun off. Highly skilled necromancers always attack at night, right? Maybe there is a solar eclipse magic that will allow you to finally get revenge against your old nemesis...

I'll give you a little lore-thing, because I think it's important for everybody to know what the view on magic is in this little fantasy world. All magic is generally respected, and there aren't that many "evil" wizards. This is due to the fact that most wizards are trained in the orc tower, which functions like a university, for all intents and purposes. The ones that don't are still normal people, for the most part. One image I really liked when thinking about necromancy is that of a farmer using skeletons and other non-rotting undead to plow his fields and take care of minor tasks. Magic is, above all, a tool.
Also, there are almost no magic fields that truly rely on the day/night cycle. There are rituals that do, but they can be performed by anybody.

Furthermore, everybody has mana inside of them, but it doesn't always express itself. Some have it happen naturally, some are "unlocked" by other wizards, and some can even manage to do it themselves. People with more mana inside them are more likely to awaken their magic abilities. However, there are also examples of people "awakening" while having almost no magic potential. Those people can train, and train, and train all they want, but they will usually only reach the level of a novice wizard. Some races are also more magically inclined. Dwarves have almost nothing in way of mana, humans are a mixed bag, orcs have a high magical potential, goblins have low mana but advance fast in their magical skills, and "magical" races such as driders have very high magic potential, but need to train it like any other muscle.

Also, i'm going to add a little option for all of you. Because the main updates are from Sydney's POV, a lot of lore and context can be lost as I don't give the full picture. So if you ever want some more lore or details about a certain aspect, I'll gladly give you some information if it doesn't affect the story.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 05, 2017, 07:48:36 pm »

Perceptive Talks

During the wait for a proper outfit, you decide to mess around with this vague "idea" you get when your undead pets go somewhere. You order them to just sort of scurry off, and focus your thought on them. You don't quite get proper ideas from your skeletal lizard, as if there's some sort of interference. Eventually, you close your eight eyes, and try to see while your eyes are closed. You actually get a vague image, but it's nothing more than shapes and the color orange. You forcefully try to get a better look, but after a few minutes you just give up. There's got to be something you haven't figured out yet, but maybe you can figure it out at a later date. You wander around for an hour, until you suddenly get an idea. Maybe you'd get a better idea if you tried to get a vision of a creature that still has eyes! You focus on the mouse, and you get that same vague image as with the skeletal lizard, but it's in color, this time. Slowly, gently, the image comes into focus, and you get a vision of a lot of feet and wood. The little corpse must be under a market stall! Your vision is still limited, however. You don't see nearly as well as with your own eyes, and the colors seem a bit "off", but you DID discover something new! Even better, you don't feel as though it requires any sort of mana! While that's generally good, it does mean that getting better at it will be tied to how much magical power you've got. Still, you feel quite satisfied.
Then you realize you've got a couple of hours to kill. So you stop wandering through the market, and head towards the largest buildings in town, visible from nearly everywhere.

The journey there took a bit, but the streets are wide and well-preserved. Not a pot-hole in sight! The housing is also as interesting as when you first entered the city, in fact, it's even more interesting! The wizard population must be a lot larger, as there are far more glowy things visible in the windows. One house in particular has furniture made out of solid bone! That must be an osteomancer, or at least someone who hired one. In general, you quite enjoy yourself on the way to the noble's district. Sadly, when you reach the gate, which is even bigger than the other ones, you feel a little uneasy. It's rather daunting, and you feel as though you don't really belong in there. You take a deep breath, and move past the beautifully engraved door into a street lines with nothing but villas. The daunting size of everything makes you feel very small, and the fact that very few people seem to be walking around in comparison to the other districts makes you uneasy. Still, the wizard's tower isn't hard to find. There are road-signs and the tower seems to stick out even over the largest houses. As you get used to the oppressive size of everything, you do learn to appreciate the aesthetic of the villas. Some are bombastic, in wild colors and covered in banners, while others simply flaunt the riches of the owner with large windows and armed guards close-by. Other's still try to give an impression of humility, using simple wood and brickwork, but if you were to look closely you would find that the wood is engraved and the insides of the house look as lavish as most. Everything feels like it's in a war of fashion. Except for one house, close to the tower. It has no engravings or fancy banners. It simply has small and curtain-covered windows, and a single sign on the door that shows the words "no visits" and a drawing of a rude gesture. You stifle a laugh as you walk past.

The tower itself seems to be in the courtyard of the main castle of this city, which looks to be made of "simple" stonework. It tries to keep up appearances through many bits of art, however, using statues, busts and beautiful tapestries over the walls. The walls are mostly for show, or perhaps the city was built around it during simple times. You wouldn't know, you're just a woman growing out of a spider.
At the tower's entrance, there is a girl sleeping in a chair. A line of drool has reached her shirt, and you decide to give her a little poke with your pedipalps. She jumps upright, yelling in surprise, before calming down and looking at you.
Then she continues screaming while trying to scoot backwards. She manages to topple her chair, and finally stops flailing when she hits the ground. You awkwardly step closer and asks her if she alright. She puts her head up and slowly gets up, keeping eye contact with you.
You're.... not an experiment, aren't you?
No. I'm here for the cleaning job.
Cleaning job? Oh! Right, right... Eh.... That's not really my area of.. uh, expertise? I-I'm just here in case my master needs me. H-he's working inside right now and told me to wait outside unless he called for me, but it's been like an HOUR so I decided to just kinda close my eyes and then you appear and I'm like WHOAH! right because I didn't know you had people with a spider for legs, so like... Uuh. You're staring at me.
You're a little... unique.
I get that a lot! Anyway, if you wanna apply for the cleaning job you should just go in and, uh, go to the top of tower. Be careful not to touch anything and make SURE you don't break stuff. They don't like it when you do that.
I'll... keep that in mind.
I'm Meandra, by the way.
You were already opening the door to head inside, but... Something about this excitable little girl just sort of grabs you. Maybe it's the energy, maybe it's the way her massive round glasses are adorable, or maybe because she is one of the shortest woman you've ever seen. Still, you're here on a mission, so you leave anyway, but not before telling her your name is Sydney. She says she'll remember that as she puts the chair back up. You close the door behind you, and take a look at the room you're in. To the right there is a circular staircase leading up, and the rest of the floor is covered in boxes, chalk markings on the walls and floor and a seemingly random plethora of items, ranging from food to effigies to certain gods you don't quite recognize. You decide to begin climbing the stairs. Based off the size of the tower from the outside, it's likely to be quite a climb. The floor above the first leads to a room where a group is hard at work dealing with all sorts of ingredients and potions. Frog legs, roses, alembics, beakers, it's all stuff that looks quite expensive to get, especially in those quantities. The room seems larger on the inside, somehow. You continue walking up the stairs, taking care not to step in a puddle of mysterious green goo, or the pile of glittery pink dust. This room is going to be the bane of your existence if you get this job. The next floor is a simple open area, with dummies and scorch marks all around. There is one old man throwing lightning at a puppet, creating a beautiful lightshow as the lightning takes on different colors ranging from a cool blue to a fiery red, and many more colors. You stop to watch for a bit, and when the man stops the crackling beam, nearly a full minute had passed. This man must be exceptionally powerful if he managed this. He looks happy with himself as he sits down on the ground and looks to you. He gives a friendly wave, which you return before resuming your climb to the top.

The next floor looks very disturbing, being filled with all sorts of misshapen skeletons and a collection of mutilated animals on operating tables. Most likely a place to train healing, bone and death magic. This would be YOUR floor, in a way. Also looks very fun to clean, super fucking great. Nobody looks to be at work, however, so you move up another floor. This one looks quite pleasant, being filled to the brim with flowers and other plants. Some seem to be moving, and two people in a tough-looking outfits are hard at work watering and, in one case, feeding the plants. You continue on, you should be reaching the last few floors now. The next room is... a kitchen. A plain old kitchen. One man wearing an outrageous chef hat is hard at work with the pots and pans. Based off the smell, it's most likely something with eggs. He looks to engrossed in his work to notice you, and you climb up another floor. You're quite glad for your eight legs, if you had human legs, you'd probably be out of breath having to hop every step. The next room just had a few cages, and some blood on the floor. One of the cages contained a turtle-like creature, with a rainbow shell and having a rabbit for a head. Transfiguration, or perhaps just animal care. you'll find out later. You're at the second-to-last floor now, and it just has a large basin of water in the middle of the unbelievably damp room. Finally, you reach the very top of the tower. You knock, and the door opens on it's own before you can finish knocking. The room RADIATES heat, and smells of smoke and parchment. A fat man with small round glasses looks to you, and gestures for you to come closer.

You're here for the cleaning job, I suppose?
How could you tell?
You wouldn't have bothered me if that was not the case. Don't get me wrong, I'm not actually bothered by your presence. We've been in heavy need a cleaner since the last one turned into a rabbit once too many. A shame, too, he could handle a broom with the best of them... Anyway, I'd ask you to take a seat,but we're woefully under-equipped for driders.
That's quite alright, sir.
Please, call me Kasimor. I assume you have fighting experience?
I've been trained since I could hold a sword. I'm trained in sword and shield. I've also got proficiency with bolas.
Excellent... But can you handle a broom as well as a sword?
I'm an inn-keeper's daughter, sir. I've been cleaning as long as I can remember. I can also clean the ceiling with ease
You tap your feet to show why. Kasimor looks pleased, but uninterested.
That's all well and good, but do you have the ability to work with people?
I... though I would be alone?
Well, you'll be dealing with all sorts of people in the tower. Magic users are notorious for being a little... off. And being rigid has little use.
I can work with people, no problem.
Hmm. Fine, you're hired. You get paid at the end of the week. If you are incapacitated by a magical accident, can- MISTER CASHIMERE!
The girl from the bottom of the tower has appeared. She looks completely out of breath, and needs to breath in before continuing her sentence.
There's a *gasp* There's a big *cough* a big THING downstairs! S-some*cough* Somebody walked in and summoned it!
The fat man looks hardly suprised. He turns to you.
Well, looks like you're in for a test run. You should be fine.

You sprint downstairs, even skittering across the walls as you sprint downwards. You unsheathe your new sword, and keep it behind you to avoid any accidents. The wizards you saw on the way up are fleeing upwards. Eventually, you hear snorting and what sounds like pockets of air escaping from something. When you reach the bottom of the tower, you see what has everbody so flustered.
A massive thing with beady eyes and a menacing horn is here. It looks like it's a swamp come to life, being covered in pieces of grass and looking a little "collapsed". It turns to look at you. It slowly walks up to you, making a strange, low murmuring sound. It looks repulsive, but it's not charging.

Attack it!
If it got the mages so flustered, it can't be any good. Better strike first.

Wait it out
Maybe it just wants to smell you a bit. If it's non-agressive, you can look into removing it without going to the trouble of killing it.

Play along
It looks like a friendly lug! You should try to calm it a bit, and see about getting it somewhere it belongs.

Other

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FORUM RUNNERS
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:01:09 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 05, 2017, 08:04:44 pm »

Wait it out for a bit and if it proves to be (Mostly) Friendly Try to Play along, Altogether try to keep it from breaking things or causing too many problems We'll have a hard time fixing later... if it isn't Friendly we always have our sword and Shield, Although keeping things from breaking still applys.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #319 on: February 05, 2017, 09:11:28 pm »

Wait it out for a bit and if it proves to be (Mostly) Friendly Try to Play along, Altogether try to keep it from breaking things or causing too many problems We'll have a hard time fixing later... if it isn't Friendly we always have our sword and Shield, Although keeping things from breaking still applys.
+1

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 05, 2017, 09:13:18 pm »

Play along, try talking to it, it might be sentient, or trained, and consider your interactions with your own wee beasties, but keep your shield up and try to gain some altitude.
If we have learned anything it is to limit direct physical contact with the unknown. A "collapsed" appearance may indicate that it has difficulties with vertical motion...

P.S.
 This story has been very entertaining.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #321 on: February 06, 2017, 05:56:17 pm »

this is the part where they run away??

will edit more in
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 06, 2017, 07:00:18 pm »

Angry Guard Yells at People

You raise your shield, but keep your sword low. Despite looking like a walking pile of vomit with hooves, it's probably not that dangerous. It continues making its strange murmuring sound, as if it's trying to perform a throat-singing concert to it's teeth. It's a deep rumble, that seems to vaguely reverb around itself. It slowly walks up to you, jiggling and bouncing all the while. The beast stinks of moisture and mud, fittingly. It eventually walks up to you, and you raise your shield just in case. It pushes its snout against the shield, leaving some strange green residue on the shield. A shiver goes down your spine as the smell is overwhelming your nostrils. You cough a little, but do nothing. Eventually, the beast pushes its snout against the side of the shield, and pushes it away. You let it, as it's been careful up until now. It pushes it's snout against your breasts, which is a line too far for you, so you push it away a little bit. While you need to apply a little force, it does give in to the push and sniffs elsewhere. It starts sniffling your arm, and then moves on to your spider parts. It seems to be very interested in it, as it rapily begins to sniff and snort with even more "ferocity" than before. It actually sort of tickles, and you have to hold in a giggle as it happily tromps around you. Despite being a living swamp with the height of a horse and being about as wide as it is tall, it's starting to become kind of endearing. The smell isn't that bad, if you get used to it, besides. Eventually, it comes back to the front and pushes it's face against yours. You try to dodge it a little, mostly playfully. Suddenly, a massive purple tongue leaps out of its mouth and gives you a massive lick. You recoil in surprise, that tongue most be nearly a meter!

The beast looks happy though, and it skips backwards, with far more ease than any animal of that size has a right to. Then it lowers its head, and softly touches you with its horn. It's so gentle about it you just let it happen. A white light seems to shine from the animal, and you suddenly feel a lot better than you were before! Whatever wounds that still remained disappeared, even your rib fixed itself with a jolt. As Ambrosius promised, the wire inside your rib disappears. It's a VERY odd feeling. Still, it's quite delightful. The creature then makes some distance, and flops itself down on the ground and starts drooling. You sit down next to it, and it puts it's head... Well, ff you had a lap, it'd be laying it's head in it. sadly, you don't. You're a woman growing out of a spider. The monster instead flops against the ground, it's eyes bulging out of its sockets as it lands. It looks around in confusion for a while, then just lays its head down anyway and starts snoring. You pet it, discovering that it is, in fact, covered in very soft, very short fur. Some bits are actual grass, and it generally feels like you're hugging a teddy bear the size of an actual bear.

After a short while longer, Kasimor arrives, looking quite calm and collected. He looks at you for a while, eyebrow raised, and eventually speaks:
What the hell is going on here?
Turns out its friendly. It just healed all my wounds and it's just sort of sleeping right now.
You saw that beast, and decided to BEFRIEND it?! What in... Oh whatever, it's fine. Nothing's gone wrong.
More wizards arrive, slowly trickling in to look at the drider befriend the swamp thing. Suddenly, the door flies open, slamming against the wall. While you jump in surprise, the swampy creature merely opens its beady eyes to look at the new people, clearly too comfortable to get up. A man in engraved armor comes through, weapon raised.
The alert was sounded, what is...
His eyes fall upon you and the swamp thing.
Oh for gods sake... Is THIS the emergency? That's a bog unicorn! The calmest bloody things on the damned planet!
Well it didn't LOOK friendly!
IF IT WAS ANY MORE PURE IT WOULD SHIT RAINBOWS AND BREATHE FAIRY DUST! YOU THERE, DRIDER, ARE YOU A VIRGIN?
Eh, yes?
IT'S SLEEPING NEXT TO A VIRGIN! WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT!? NOW POOF IT BACK TO ITS GOD-DAMN HABITAT, OR I'M GOING TO DO IT MYSELF WITH THE IDIOT WHO SUMMONED IT ATTACHED TO ITS ARSE! The man's voice gets a unique, hoarse roar to it that really adds to the anger.
Look we really don't know who- OH YOU DON'T KNOW, YOU DON'T FUCKING KNOW? THEN FIND OUT YOU USELESS DONKEY!
The man seems to calm down a little. Or more accurately, he goes from erupting volcano to just quietly pissed. He takes a deep breath before talking further, in a calmer voice that is still dripping with anger
Alright. Now raise your hand if you summoned this wonderful, rare creature for whatever stupid game you had planned.
A man in the back of the group of wizards shakily raises his hand. He gets pushed to the front, right up to the angry man's face. He seems to shrink before the angry guard.
Now... I expect that you can place it back to its normal habitat. If you can't, then you are walking it there. The nearest swamp is 55 kilometers away, just as a reminder.

The wizard squeaks in agreement, and hastily begins to draw a circle on the floor. His hand is shaky from fear, and the guard is quick to correct his shoddy circle, calling him a chromosomally gifted goat in the process. Eventually, he manages to draw all the needed signs, under watchful eye of around a couple dozen wizards, there is no room for error. Then, he reaches into the boxes nearby, and begins to place all manner of things in different spots. Frog legs, eyes of some animal, a human finger... It really seems quite random what he needs. Eventually, he finishes, and needs the bog unicorn to stand in the middle. He tries pushing it for a bit, until the guard yells again.
Come the fuck on, how do you think you're going to move an animal that weighs a literal ton! You there, drider! You've been doing really good keeping that beast happy, I'm glad, but could you please coax the unicorn into the circle?
You wordlessly get up, and pat the big lug on the head. It stands up with you, but begins sniffing the wizard that was drawing the circle instead. You try to coax it over with some rubs, and considering the wizard seems terrified of the bog unicorn, it quickly decides to follow you, instead. Once you're in the middle of the circle, things begin to glow. The items float in the air, and you quickly get out. The unicorn seems to enamored with the pretty lights to move, and then blinks away to parts unknown.
Thank you, darling. You've done great. He then turns to the gaggle of wizards. Now, about the stupid use of the alarm button!
You decide to stay out of it as the armored man shouts down a dozen people at once about proper safety procedures. After a tirade of five entertaining minutes, he finally decides to leave, giving you a nod before he slams the door closed.

Well... That was... the usual.
I've never been so scared in my life!
Then let that be a lesson in not spreading panic through the tower! I thought it was a real emergency!
Wait, then why'd you send HER?
That's not bloody important! Now shut up and get back to work! And you! Drider!
You look up at the rotund man, who is wiping some sweat off his brow before talking.
You did, uh, you did well. You pleased the Captain, so I... couldn't turn you away if I tried, probably.Welcome aboard. Your, uh, workday starts tomorrow. We've got some things to do, right now. Meandra, could you escort her out of here, please? You need something to do.
Meandra, who was standing behind the fat man, makes a mock military salute and beckons you to follow. You do, wordlessly.

Okay, soooo, I'm technically supposed to just lead you outside of the main castle, but he didn't specify, so imma use that to my advantage to get to know you better cuz you're, like, really cool! Where do you need to be? I know this whole city like the back of my hand, I can take you anywhere! Oooh, so many things I wanna ask!

LOCATION CHOICE

The Tailor
You should go pick up your outfit. From there, you should also be able to eventually find Yunikki and your father.

Refugee camp.
It may be interesting to find out what happened to town. Of course, the victims of the raid may also be there...

Someplace entertaining.
It'd be nice to find out what people do for fun in this town. It's probably got a district of its own.

Other

Dealing with Meandra

Answer all her questions openly
She seems curious, and is frankly kind of adorable. You might as well answer whatever questions she has.

Let her talk
You don't have much to say... Let her do the talking.

Match her!
She may be a fast talker, but you can keep up! Give as much as taking!

Other

I don't know how my brain came to the conclusion that I needed to add Gordon Ramsay, but I'm glad it did.

FORUM RUNNERS

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:17:38 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2017, 07:17:15 pm »

Head to the The Tailor And if we can't find the others for whatever reason head off for some entertainment.
Match her.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 06, 2017, 07:27:27 pm »

Head to the tailor, and Talk just as fast!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 06, 2017, 07:59:33 pm »

Entertainment! A nice outfit is important, but this is a good chance to gain some local knowledge.
Match her. Don't be afraid to sate her curiosity, but this is a new person and by all accounts nobody is going to die due to you saying the wrong thing, so it is a fine time to stretch those vocal muscles! And, you know, defeat the evil gods using the power of friendship and all that jazz...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 07, 2017, 10:36:23 am »

Awww, bug unicorn is so cuuuute.

Entertainment! A nice outfit is important, but this is a good chance to gain some local knowledge.
Match her. Don't be afraid to sate her curiosity, but this is a new person and by all accounts nobody is going to die due to you saying the wrong thing, so it is a fine time to stretch those vocal muscles! And, you know, defeat the evil gods using the power of friendship and all that jazz...
Yeah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 07, 2017, 03:23:34 pm »

Oh, and we probably can't spare the concentration to do anything while we are out and about and chatterboxing, but do mention that you are looking for ways to train your necromancy and if she happens to have any ideas as to what a couple of little critters could do... Even just training them to do hand-stands could teach a complete beginner like us.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 07, 2017, 07:33:55 pm »

Girl's Talk 3: Return of the talk

I need to get to the tailor to pick up an outfit, but after that i'm pretty much free to do whatever! Tell me, what do people do here to have fun?
Oh, you're unlucky if you're hoping for something interesting from the "official" stuff in town. She makes exaggerated movements as she talks and walks, making the quote markers as she shakes her torso back and forth. She commits to sarcasm with a ferocity you've rarely seen before.
All they have here is plays and the occasional acrobat, but even those are brought in from elsewhere! So you just get some old guys playing around on stage like anybody cares! SO annoying. No wonder everybody just stays home and stuff. Plenty of books around! She pushes her glasses up her face with her finger, and crosses her hands behind her back.
Soooo... My turn for a question, right?
Go for it!
So, I know your name, but where are you from, anyway? Is there like a country full of driders, or did you grow up closeby? I can tell you're not from the city
I don't really keep it a secret! I'm from a small town, a few hours from here. My dad and I kept open the inn. Oh, you should have seen the place! I could cook the best stuff around for miles! I can make a kick-ass mutterstew.
Oh. My. Goodness! A drider that cooks!? I-i can't even imagine that! I always just saw you guys like these big dangerous warriors, and now you're here and it's like... Kaboom! Expectations blown!
Hey, hey, hey! I also fight, you know. You think these weapons are just for show?
Oh... I didn't notice it, even! What'd you fight!?
Oh, well... There's a damn story! Anyway, I only killed my first man a few days ago.
Oh goodness!
Hey, don't worry. He attacked me, first! Bandits were raiding my village, so me and my dad went out and fought! Of course, things got a bit more complicated later. So they made me fight this heavily armored dude that had a grudge against me for something that happened YEARS ago, and he started that fight to begin with! Stabbed me, too, so I should have been angrier, to be honest!
Stabbing's easily one of the worst dick moves there are.
I know, right!? So anyway, we fight for a while, and eventually he just charges me like an idiot, so I jump on my hind legs and stick him right through the chestplate!
Sick! You're poisonous?
Sure am! After that, the fight was pretty much over. But, I didn't mean to ramble on about it. You got anything else to say?
Not about the fighting, it's not really my thing. I'm more of a ritual and flower power girl!
Flower magic, then?
Yeppers! Genuine article nature mage! I make flowers, grass, fruit, veggies, anything you'd want!
Actually, i wanted to ask something about magic.
Hold on! I get to ask a question now! So, is it true that you guys come out of eggs?
Uh, yeah? We make a clutch of eggs and leave it somewhere.
Eeew, don't say "clutch". That sounds nasty. But, uh speaking about being born, how old are you?
Isn't there a rule to never ask that of a lady?
Pfft, we're ladies among each-other, it's cool!
True, true. I'm sixteen.
SIXTEEN!? That's it!? I thought you guys could become like, a thousand years old!
Well, just because we can be a thousand years old doesn't mean that we are!
But how often do you meet something that can live to a thousand years and not have it say "oh, i'm five-hundred years old, i'm so superior"
She seems to be imitating someone, but you don't know who. You get a feeling it's fairly spot on, though.
True enough! But yeah, i'm not even of age yet! I think we slow down in our aging at some point, but I'm not there yet.
Oh... I'm jealous! But hey, we're getting close to the tailor, go pick up your stuff!

You hadn't even noticed you were there already. You enter the tailor's shop, and pick up your outfit without much fanfare. The second you enter, the owner grabs it. She must not get a lot of driders, seeing how she didn't even need to check. Your little ensemble is quite nice, if plain. It's a mix of some white fabric and some thicker brown bits. For all intents and purposes, it's a coat that's intended to be used with plenty of belts. One around your torso, and one around your spider bit. It covers most of your spider half, while leaving enough room for your legs to move freely. The front has some thinner fabric to serve as a sort of "pseudo-dress". You don't have legs in the traditional sense, so it makes do. It was a bit of a squeeze behind the privacy screen, but you manage to get the whole thing on without issue. You give your tanks to the tailor, and walk outside, where your new friend is waiting.

Oh, that's wonderful! You look so much better when you have something that fits! Hold on, hold on, lemme make you a bag for your old stuff.
She looks down at the cobblestone ground, and manages to find a sprout of grass poking through somewhere. She rubs her hands excitedly, and puts her finger against the small green tuft. A pink light shines, and the grass rapidly begins to grow. In no time at all, the grass reaches more than five meters in size, attracting the attention of some market-goers. One of the city's many dogs begins sniffing it, but jumps back, yelping as the massive strand of grass bends upwards and flies around itself. Soon enough, it's woven itself into a basket made of grass! Meandra cuts it off at the stem, and removes the unneeded parts. You're amazed at this, and she gives a theatrical flourish as she hands you the basket. You put your old shirt and your leather armor inside, and then continue having your talk with her.

Hey, talking about magic. How should I start with necromancy?
Ew... I don't like necromancy too much. But, we've got a guy in town that's good at it. He's using the skeleton of some aunt of his as a maid. Kinda dark. But he should be in the tower tomorrow. Every wizards wants to talk about his stuff, so it shouldn't be a problem... Oh! right. I guess this was it, right? I should go back to the tower. Anyways, I live in the same part of the city, around five buildings on the right when you leave the castle. Visit me, alright? Just ask for my name if I don't open the door. My master's pretty easy-going.
Alright then... Goodbye. I'll see you tomorrow, I guess.
Buh-bye!

You've got a few more hours to kill as the evening comes closer. What to do?

Find Yunikki and your father.
Find out what they did for the last few hours

Go to the theater district
You don't have to agree with Meandra. You've never even seen a show in your entire life!

Go to the refugee area
You should meet up with your village again. You could do with some friends.

Other
It's a large town. If you can think of it, there's a decent chance they have it!

FORUM RUNNERS
TankKit is late. I haven't received a message of any kind, so i'll be sending one to him.
At this rate, I may end up removing some parts from the challenge. This was meant to last for only two weeks, after all. It's possible the next part will be the entire bandit life up to the ritual in one update, and then the actual transformation, instead of the different pieces of life. This isn't certain, as of yet, but keep it in mind as a possibility.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:18:52 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #329 on: February 07, 2017, 08:14:31 pm »

AFind yunniki and your father
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 216