Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185018 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #2970 on: May 21, 2019, 06:57:50 pm »

Can't run from a plague spread by flying creatures.  So if we leave, we need to leave on the attack, to try and take out the source.  Can let the refugees flee.

..It might also count as the 'source' for here if we take out Jack.

I think we can take out Jack.  If we can make some kind of bomb or gas bomb that has magic that significantly weakens or destroys bone, Jack won't be able to move properly, due to walking on pure bone.  That would bring it back to falls, where we could then drop large things on her.

But that's an if.  If we can't make an effective weapon, we'll need to just gather supplies and leave.  I recommend picking up the ex-cult leader and corpses for soldiers, maybe that book that was wanted.

Or we do option C and start eating things until we're strong enough to just straight-up fight Jack.

In any case, I'd also like to see what the kid can do with our carapace-armour.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 07:14:04 pm by Devastator »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: May 22, 2019, 05:15:11 am »

Oh Leoric, you cad.

Ye though. Next time we have a shedding session, if we do have one, we ought to let him play around with it a bit. Also. Not looking for another fight with Jack. We'd probably have to drop a building on em, and even that might not stop them...
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: May 23, 2019, 12:04:34 pm »

a bomb to weaken bones might be possible, but I have to say, first time I saw someone to suggest an osteoporosis potion

For me option B is to find a route to the quarantine borders and negotiate them, we have survivors, we have the kid. they might give us sucy's bag so we can put down jack and maybe make the city possible to save
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: May 24, 2019, 05:03:23 pm »

...A chemical compound that weakens bones? One I can throw, and acts as fast as possible?
Simple, yes. Can it be done?
Honestly? At face value I'd say an acid bomb would do it. If you want something specifically to cause osteoporosis, we're going to need more ingredients. Ingredients they don't sell on a marketplace, by virtue of it being too acidic or not invented yet. God, I could just get bleach in any old store back in the dwarf cities. I miss that. Hmm... That reminds me, I should make some of that mustard gas sometime. Melts your enemies, easy peasy... I've got some things like it already, but that one's more insidious. Lighter gas, too, easy to spread. OF course, that can backfire on you.
Since when are you a talker?
Thinking out loud. Either way, I've got nothing except my "basic" acid bombs, which I doubt will be enough to damage that thing. It's not normal bone, in case you hadn't noticed. A regular bone of that size, especially with the power it applies, would snap itself in half. So I'd need a specialized agent for taking on bones.
What would you need for it?
A week of testing and something to test with. And I doubt that spider-thing is going to share any bone fragments. And before you try it, NO. Don't come close to it. One rescue mission cost us enough. Hm. Although I did just think of something.
What?
I should try to get a sample from your arm at some point. Your fingers look similar to bone, there might be some overlap... Although, to be honest, it's unlikely. Too bendy. Forget I asked.
Not really excited to start chopping fingers off, to be honest. Anyway, I'll get back to you on this. Any alternatives you can think of?
High-yield explosives.
That's kind of a universal answer.
Well, I get it. They say that out there, there's an arrow with your name on it. A alchemist's tools is more of a "to whom it may concern".
The one I want to use on that demon is closer to "dear grid coordinates." Really, we don't want to be in the same neighbourhood.
...That'll work.
What will you need for that?
Time. Right now, I need to start mixing, and I'll tell you what I need as it comes up. Of course, that's if you really do want me to go to the simple solution.

You should think of a more concrete plan so you know what to do with yourself. Sucy is going to be a busy bee, to be sure, but you should have something to do yourself.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: May 25, 2019, 10:28:47 am »

supply shopping where the doctor is?
on the market (so we can get the bigger weapons that we didn't bought before)
the bazaar and get some driders and get hints at the same time?

although we can't really be on the go, everybody is busy and or hurt, we shouldn't venture farther

create familiars with the chicken bones, make it a little raptor like with a weird extra pair of hands so it could climb stuff and handle stuff properly, give it some kind of wings, if we can give it wings that are not fire looking create some thing transparent so it won't draw too much attention, create two of them, one will scout the surroundings and get small critters other will carry a message to the border
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: May 26, 2019, 11:36:00 am »

Exams have been unleashed upon me, and I will likely not be able to update as often as I would like. Please don't expect consistent updates for the next few weeks. It's not a hiatus, but just beware of inconsistent updates.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: May 27, 2019, 12:45:03 pm »

Overall plan is probably to set up a place where we can defeat Jack.  Significant explosives, and lots of places for us to shoot doombolts from.

For specific, I think we want to get that book for the cult, and while out pick up corpses.  Specifically we need a couple for recon, but for the most part I think we want to make stuff to slow down Jack, so we'll want ones for use as flashbangs.  Those birds should blow up well and be quick.

I would also like to get one or more of those drider servants, living or dead.  To eat.  It would probably give power without increasing corruption.

Plan is probably lots of bombs, maybe some glue, maybe a thermite charge or two, (if those are known) and we go for overwhelming force.  In the meantime we collect bodies, get that book, and hopefully eat some of a drider servant.  If we have spare time, we should practice our magic, as if we can get Jack in a huge pit of our siphon gas, it might not be possible for Jack to kill us, even if we get hit.

If we are just staying inside..

Work on a corpse-golem, which should go faster now that we have vasly faster magic regen.  Also, practice our magic in general.  If we can fill an entire street, say, with siphoning cloud, it might be enough to both hide us from sight and let us fight back.  Soul vision and a huge cloud of necrosmoke would let us go alone from place to play in near-complete safety.  Making some flashbang-intended minions would also be worth time.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 01:42:45 pm by Devastator »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: May 27, 2019, 04:18:55 pm »

Ye. We do need to spend some time getting some proper minions. Rib pieces can go to Leoric, see if he would like them. Maybe leave them under his pillow, like a cat.
BIRDS.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: May 29, 2019, 05:32:28 pm »

While Sydney hasn't tried it, I can tell you right now that eating another drider will not affect you beyond an upset stomach. You didn't develop cannibalism superpowers. you developed superpowers through cannibalism. There's a key difference.

You get to work on some more long-term goals. For starters, you have a necromancer in a city turned necropolis, so you should get to work on some minions. Of course, that does open up one problem: most of these corpses are infectious. Even the humanoid ones could have been infected before death, so you need a separate working station than Sucy and Francine (who has become very quiet and subservient. She pretty much only helps out Sucy with her projects, now.). You elect to to leave it in the hands of your companions, for now. Yunikki still hadn't woken p by the time you left for a nearby building with a high roof and closed windows. Fortunately, there was a guard tower not too far from here. Not that it was without it's issues, but after some extended periods of path-making and the occasional extermination, you managed to clear a safe path to it in a day's time. The tower itself is small. It wouldn't be able to fit nearly as much as in the basement, but the roof is high and there are several levels. You also found a cache of weaponry, mostly spears. It makes sense for a drider to use spears, admittedly. You also find a single dead drider, though that's sort of generous. If it wasn't for the gaping hole and the small bit of spinal cord still sticking out, you would have guessed it was just a giant spider. Something managed to completely destroy the upper half of this poor guard. Matter of fact, that leaves it difficult for you to actually revive it properly. Resurrecting a pair of legs isn't exactly easy, even if drider undercarriages are a bit more unique in that aspect. Eventually, you decided to improvise. You went back and applied some careful surgery (gravity-based downward chop with a big sword) to a humanoid corpse. It was fairly intact, at least on a skeletal level. The meat around it was blasted apart, some of it reduced to giblets on the wall. Your guess? That weird blobby eye thing the kid told you about did that. Either way, it left a skeleton. With some quick grafting, you managed to attack one spine to another. The resulting undead was clumsy, but functional. It adapted to the "new" legs fairly quick, though it takes up a bit more mana to keep this thing going. You're going to have to apply a couple more bones to make it a freebie. You didn't use the chicken bones, too small, too frail. You elected to go for larger, more solid bones. A femur you cracked in half and what seems to be pieces of arm function as a sort of "mohawk" along the backside of your newest minion. You're fairly certain it's not infected, though you cleaned off the flesh with some magic. Anyhow, the large amount of bones look stylish, but they're also a glaring weak point. You should look into armoring that stuff up. At least the skeleton top half and spider lower half looks cool as hell.

When you get back, leaving your undead to guard the tower, you discover a rather fortunate little fact: the armor you got in the dwarven cities is quite easy to wash. The stains just go right out in simple soapy water. After working so much with all manner of meat, it was pleasant to discover. Next time you'll wear something to cover yourself up, an apron or something should work. Well, it doesn't matter. Of course, the bigger thing to be happy about is that Yunikki is awake again! You were planning on talking to her, but... Well.
Oh yeah, I noticed that when I gave her some of my tonics. Her throat hasn't healed quite right. She'll have trouble swallowing for a while, and talking's going to difficult. Well, more like impossible. I think she'll be able to manage. It shouldn't be permanent. Hey, question: Is it weird how her sentences went from grey to yellow? You think that happened because the author forgot, or because she went from a side-character to a main character? Is it both? I think it's both.
Yunikki made a vague wheezing noise, which was clear enough. She doesn't much care for this meta commentary. Another positive is that she seems to be in high spirits, compared to most other times. A lot more limber, too, she's finally back to walking properly instead of hunched. Not to mention, she lost the chains. She hasn't been able to communicate much beyond body language, though, but you're glad to see her up and about. Despite that, she's still too weak to properly help out. If it wasn't for Sucy's tonics, she wouldn't even be walking.
You still sleep with the rest of the people, though you test out your distant control of a bone minion. It's hard to see much through a skeleton's "eyes". It's black and white, and there's an odd sort of fog after a short distance. You're not sure what that represents, honestly. Well, at any rate, you're going to start building an infected army in the morning. The drider minion should be clean, by all accounts.
You also take a look at what Leoric created, in the meantime. Those chicken bones are perfect for him to work with, and he made a handy flashbang bag. They aren't that powerful, mind you. He also made a few splinterbombs.
You also tested out a few things in regards to siphoning cloud. More siphoning smoke doesn't quite equal more lifedrain. It's harder to get out of it, and the more surface area is covered the easier it is drained, but the rate at which the health is drained is set. It's also something that dissipates on its own, even when put in a glass bottle. Magic can be adapted, however, but you'll need a lot of time to think and improve on it. Some paper to theorise with would help.

When morning comes (you think, it's hard to gauge time in a basement), Sucy has something for you to gather.
I'm going to need parchment. A lot of it. I propose you head for the library to gather it up, and get some ink while you're at it. I need to keep working here, it's fairly delicate. Bring along who you wish.
Do you need to write some stuff down?
Among others. The parchment also contains a few materials I can use. Flammable, sturdy enough, et cetera. I also plan on using some runes.
Runes hardly work on parchment. The material is too flimsy for that kind of magic.
I'm aware, but I might be able to apply some of my own magic to make it work out. Besides, I just need it to burn when I say "go".
Seems like a lot of risk for a "maybe".
I also need to write a lot of things. Believe it or not, but I don't have perfect memory. While you're there, you'll also have free pick of the books you want. Didn't one of the people in the back ask for a book? Be sure to ask for a reward, they could do with being useful.
Yeah, sure... I'll be going, then.

Gather your party to go to the library. Or maybe you'd prefer to work on your own projects first? If you spend the entire morning working, you could likely create two bonezombies. Mana-costing undead are easier, of course.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Undead
Neat stuff I do:

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: May 29, 2019, 11:51:20 pm »

see what the people want from books

yeah, we will probably have some theory to help our spells and our boo will be able to devour what it want,

we don't know if we will take too long on the tower quest, so better to not waste the morning and risk to go back at night
Novice english wordsmith

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: May 31, 2019, 04:32:53 pm »

Update delayed, but it does allow me to ask:  what is the plan on getting to the tower? All you've said now is "in the morning".
Neat stuff I do:

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: May 31, 2019, 05:01:58 pm »

On foot would be the cheekiest answer, but going through the city with some measure of stealth is going to be vital. One or two cheapo zombos might be needed to make an explosion to get across the main street again.
BIRDS.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: June 01, 2019, 05:11:22 pm »

You're sure you're ready to go with me? You aren't exactly in tip-top shape again.
Neither are you. You two are about on par.
...Alright. Does anybody have a weapon for her, at least?
You're the one with a guard tower. Arm her up there.
Fair enough. You ready for a stealth run?
Yunikki nods her head, and stretches a bit before venturing outside. As it stands, she's got little more than tattered pants and bandages to protect her modesty. While certainly not unpleasant to look at, it's not going to be of much help if anything attacks. Still, you're fairly certain that you can get to the tower before anything could get in the way.
You were right, other than a single lizard. It was oddly small, and it held little more than a small dagger. You're... pretty sure that thing wasn't an adult when it was infected. You're not overly bothered by it, but still a little bothered. You reach the tower with no further issues, and rearm Yunikki. A spear isn't quite her usual style, but you're sure she'll figure it out. You also found some armor for her, though it isn't very high quality. Mostly straps and pieces of leather, though there is a studded leather skirt that should be able to block a few hits. For her torso, she'll have to make do with a spare shirt and some tough-looking leather parts. You'd be damn proud of her look, if it wasn't for the fact that she hastily forced on some manacles on her hands. They only cover her wrists, but you can tell from how she wraps the broken chain around her arms that she's still doing this cultural thing. You wish you understood it at least a little. At least she's walking straight.

Then, you start marching towards the tower. It's a bit of a distance, but not quite so bad. It's the centre of the town, after all. You resurrected the small lizard you killed, and later found another useful corpse of a birdman. You also brought along your skeletal drider, though that one's going to be muscle rather than distraction. The lack of actual musculature is something funny you noticed about that. Anyhow, the bird and the lizard form distraction duty. The little one stabs a few of the roving birds in the main street, while the lizard is already running. Neither undead is very graceful, but things work out well enough. The only problem is that the door to the library is locked. It would be a bigger problem if you didn't have a battering ram below the shoulder. Though it takes a few rams, scrapes, and Yunikki pointing where it would be best to punch (close to the handle), you crack the lock of hte door apart and enter. While the door is no longer possible to lock, it still swings closed. It must be at a bit of an incline. You let our minions explode, though you can only blow up the lizard. The other undead minion was already trampled and murdered. And with that, you're in the library.

Take it over.
There's bound to be trouble here, but this place is very useful. Might be best to just clear it out.

Stealthy objective-based thinking.
You have a goal. Best just stick to that and keep moving. Libraries always attract the worst kinds of beasts, somehow.

Smash-and-grab.
You've got places to be. Better to overwhelm this place to get to where you want.

Other.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Undead
Neat stuff I do:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: June 01, 2019, 06:35:02 pm »

Clear the place out.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: June 01, 2019, 07:54:37 pm »

Stealthy objective-based thinking.

Read some of the books. Maybe they have new spells to learn, or maps to new places
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 216