Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185114 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #2775 on: February 10, 2019, 06:37:16 pm »

* Devastator shudders at the mention of Discord, where it's impossible to find old information.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: February 11, 2019, 06:06:12 am »

A Deeper Dive

The collection of broken men and women wander forward, being part of the third foray into the Darkest Dungeon. The supernaturally dark dungeon seems to gape like an open maw as they stand at the entrance. The constant fanged ring opens, showing off the sign of the Ancient. The ancestor had done his homework, as we found out in his most recent memoirs, before his suicide. The longer this war goes on, the more information seems to come in. Some new information contradicts the old, but the newer always trumps previous experiences. It's... odd. The heir proclaims that reality itself is trying to gaslight all of them, including himself. The man had been getting loopy for a while, but after that proclamation he was finally convinced not to join the adventurers again for a while. The different people present looked at eachother, not speaking a word. They do not know eachother, having kept their distance ever since they were gathered up for the purpose of delving into the most horrid place in a location already fraught with horrors from beyond the veil of reality. There are unlikely to return, they already know this. The previous groups did not return, torn to shreds as the heir only barely managed to flee. This is the first time he does not join them, torches affixed to the back of the Plague Doctor. She was a member of the Order of the Blighted Beak, but was expelled after she was found dissecting one of her professors. She did not mind the change of local, for what better laboratory than the blood-soaked battlefields?
Alibert did not much care for her, even though she was as much of a veteran as he was. She is a fine companion in battle, but after all this time they don't know their names. The other two people present are capable fighters, likely on the same level as Alibert and the doctor. Doesn't mean they socialized much. The other woman was a self-admitted bandit chief, and she keeps her face hidden begins a collection of bandages. There were claims that she wasn't disfigured, but wished to remain unrecognized. The only thing visible is blonde hairs, in just that shade that made Alibert ache for a time that must be centuries away.
She was familiar in a lot of ways, but considering the fact that she was human she couldn't possibly be who she is similar to.
The last man is an odd knight. Claimed to be part of the crusader order, but his markings and armor are all wrong. He nearly came to blows with Reynauld over it, but this is no place for infighting.

Entering the lair of the beast was nervewracking by itself, and it didn't take long before they find their first wretch. The familiar sight of a cultist, armed with two claws on each fist and the classic skull and ring mask. Seems ordinary, at first glance, but his flesh is... wrong. His arms move in a manner that seems to imply that his muscles are shaped wrong, like putty slapped over a skeleton. Right behind him are two new appearances. Two people, male and female, both of them naked and on their knees, their face wrought into a horrifying grin as they chewed off their lips. What musculature is visible shows that they are still grinning like madmen. Their flesh is dotted with black, crowlike eyes, blinking and staring. Once upon a time, it would have shocked the adventurers.
As they battled the clawed mass of flesh that was once a common brawler, they remained stoic and capable. They quickly took down the cultists as the gnawing of their own flesh healed the wounds upon the brawler. The terror falls just in short while later, snapping back into a human shape as the flesh cracks and splits from the force. They move on, after taking care of the bleeding wounds they suffered. The strikes did not hurt much, but the bleeding was far worse. Still, the plague doctor was fast and efficient, using some slight magic and a needle and thread.

Similar battled fell upon the adventurers, but they weren't stopped or hardly even slowed. They set up camp where they found the gnawed remains of the first scout, the place where the heir told them to set up camp. It's just before their goal, a creature guarding important relics, needed to make the rest of the dungeon accessible. This is where the last few parties fell, weakened from their assault through the twisted corridors and mindnumbing insanity. The adventurers weathered that storm with dignity, if not grace. The plague doctor was quick to fix up the wounds, sharing unique concoctions and stitching up what would not clot properly. Her mask was ripped off by a particularly dangerous creature, wreathed in robes and capable of unleashing long, spear-like claws from underneath. The wound was small, but her mask was torn beyond repair. Her face was homely, at best, but her eyes carried a fierce energy to them that made her appealing to look at. Alibert felt reminded of his old love. She was a miller's daughter, and they had a child together. The fire took them both, and Alibert found solace in adopting a peculiar little drider. He wondered where she was, and if she was safe.
Somehow, he doubted it.

The gates opened, and the warriors got together. Speaking for the first time, they discussed their strategies. What they planned. And their last will. Whoever escapes will remember the last will of each. The doctor asked that her research notes be given to the Blighted Beak, under a pseudonym. The knight asked that somebody would bring news to his daughter. The bandit queen declined to make a will, claiming that wills are for people that will die. Cocky. Her voice was all too similar to Sydney, but Alibert was too far gone to care. His request was simple. When they bury him, symbolically or no, send word out to Sydney. She would want to be there.
With breaths gathered, they stepped through the portcullis into the abbattoir of the corrupted Shambler.
The shamblers were not a new phenomenon to them, but this one had been overtaken by the eternally watching and undulating flesh of the Gestating God. How a creature between worlds could have been caught by the more physical is unknown, but unleashed upon the material world it has grown ever more powerful. The fight begins as the creature unleashes scythes of bone and metal, grinding away at anything that gets in the way. The knight takes the brunt of the force, his armor bends, but does not break. The weaker parts of this grinding force break off, and splinter towards the other fighters. The bandit vaults, using her quarterstaff, and avoid any of the shards flying low to the ground. She uses her momentum to crash down upon the creature, using the sharpened ends to rake away several eyes before hopping back. The bounty hunter, the most experienced of the four, stood ready at where the  creature's spittle and bile landed. Horrifying flowers of flesh began to bloom, but before they grew impossible to stop the bounty hunter brought his axe crashing down against the tumors of reality. The plague doctor followed his example, spraying a bile so toxic even these creatures will suffer from it. The knight even manages a counterattack before the Shambler screams, and reality seems to... collapse.
Suddenly, the fragile plague doctor stood in front of the gaping maw, the knight is at the back, the bandit standing right beside Alibert. The witch doctor barely had time to scream before the shuffling horror unleased a torrent of flesh from its maw, launching her through the air and against a wall, the bile sticking to her and growing yet more "flowers". She screamed in pain and horror, but the bounty hunter was quick to react. Throwing a small bomb made of flashpowder and with a particular mix introduced to him by the antiquarian, there is a blinding flash of light against the doctor. The flowers, with it's dozen eyes, is at least disturbed by it. It sloughs off the wall, taking the sticky bile with it and giving the plague doctor the ability to reach for her kris. Her research proved accurate enough, sending the flowers bleeding and shriveling with just a few price nicks of her dagger.

The fight continues on for a while. It never gets easier, but people are more prepared for the reality reshuffles. The flowers are taken care of before they form too much of a problem, other than a nasty hit against the former bandit queen. Finally, the creature is finally starting to fail. The blood and poison is proving too much for it, and with a final roar, it shuffles everything for the last time.
Again, the plague doctor is in front of it. This time, the gaping maw shoots forward, beginning to devour her as she screams in agony.
Alibert wasn't entirely sure how fast he was running, but he knows that his legs didn't hurt this much before he arrived. He hauled the full weight of the doctor over his shoulders, removing her from the rows and rows of teeth and spikes. She screamed again, more hoarse this time. The creature begins to shake, and finally explodes outright. Teeth and meat start flying, and from beneath the earth come unearthly screams.

The dash back was harrowing. The bandit queen looked scared, for the first time, as an unstoppable tide of meat, bone and rage chased the adventurers out of the darkest dungeon. They kept closing in, and the hallways only grew darker, yet darker. The torches had gone out, nothing but touch and sound could guide them back to reality. The weight of the doctor kept the bounty hunter grounded, it was all he could think of. Her blood staining his clothes, her ragged breaths, her shaking hands. The flesh tide was close, blood was pooling nearly up to the ankles of the survivors. Suddenly, the knight stopped. He yelled to remember him, as he turned to face the tide. Only the queen saw the impact, but his efforts succeeded. The tide slowed for just a moment as it cracked open the knight's armor, and devoured him. The light was blinding when they came outside, but the tide stopped. As if burned by the light, it retreated, giving a last inhuman howl of rage before slinking back entirely.
Victory. Such as it is.

Later, they found curious trinkets in their backpack. They did not remember picking them up. Strange, glittering torches, let with a black flame that gives no light or heat. Alibert did not care for it. He helped take care of the doctor, trying to get lost in those fierce eyes once more.
For the first time since he arrived, people were free to see him without a helmet. For the first time since he arrived, he actually smiled.

Also of note: if you succeed in gaining control, the death clock will rewind by at least two steps.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:19:31 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: February 11, 2019, 09:24:15 am »

I BRING A DISCORD THREAD! Don't worry, this'll never expire. If i'm missing chats, @me and I'll add them for you.
https://discord.gg/T7hbuBZ
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: February 11, 2019, 10:33:00 am »

Someone.  Just any one of the three companions.  I don't really care which one.

This turn, Random.org suggested Yunikki.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: February 11, 2019, 12:44:55 pm »

I like Yunikki, we can go with that.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: February 11, 2019, 04:47:04 pm »

I was going to the yukinni wagon but I am still curious about what he will write, yukinni wagon it is until he writes

My computer is a toaster, I will give you Kit what I know here and now, I am re-reading the part where jack appeared

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I noticed that I sometimes am talking in first person but... I just joined the game some months later
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: February 13, 2019, 02:29:24 pm »

Current Status of Madness:
Phases 1 (Transformation) and 2 (Breaking Down) Completed, working on Phase 3 (Breaking Free) right now
Also, not many people have come to The Silk Throne, and it feels kinda spammy but this Shameless Discord Plug is still waiting. Plus, I'll be transcribing my work onto the Mad Scribe's Tower over there, so you can make sure I'm going insane correctly. We even have the GM over there!

EDIT: Part 2 needs BIG redo after some fresh information came in. This could take a bit now, and have some... Greater repercussions... Than I expected.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:47:35 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: February 13, 2019, 04:36:48 pm »

I will not join there just because my laptop is moved by coal, wood and (my)tears

If I try to open discord with something else I will be able to fry a egg on the keyboard
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: February 13, 2019, 11:08:48 pm »

It's not much of a bandwagon... if I was voting for what I wanted, I'd choose 'nobody' and pick things back up when Sydney is killed or rescued.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:11:55 pm by Devastator »

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: February 14, 2019, 06:14:08 pm »

Yunikki
Utter insanity. That’s what that fucking stunt was. Insanity. Sure, it WORKED, but if she ends up shishkebabbed by that monster, it’s doubtful you’d be able to stop it. Still, if you don’t gather up the loot now, it would have been a wasted effort. Sydney’s a big girl, she can take care of herself. You just hope she can keep taking care of you. It’s hard, keeping down Carrion without her around to scare it into submission. Every time it detects something that looks like easy prey, or just a particularly fresh corpse, it wants to come out. Resisting it takes some doing, but crusader vows don’t mean nearly as much as Sydney. The vows keep her mind intact, such as it is, but Sydney keeps Carrion away. You stuff a small chunk of salted meat down your gullet to try and fill that burning hole Carrion keeps creating. You’re always so hungry, now. You pray that the others haven’t noticed that you take the occasional bite of meat from the dead. It’s a quick slice, gathering up muscle and hopefully some fat. The worries of cannibalism were left behind when that burning hole started crawling up your throat, and your teeth felt like they were going to fall out again. Your new teeth feel altogether wrong. Not because they’re worse than your old ones, mind you. You have the full set of chompers, grown back after Carrion got loose the first few times. They’re even pearly-white. It’s worrying to look at, just another part of you that isn’t what it once was.

You find a fairly large basket to put some more meat and veggies in. Sucy isn’t a big help on food, as she’s just gathering up what looks like powders and spices. Selfish bitch. You throw a small line of sausages around your neck, feeling more and more like a walking steak as you do. If those things realize that creature is gone and they can come back, you’ll be the tastiest snack around. What a god-damn mess. If only Hal were here… He could have taken that fucking abomination down, easy peasy. Probably could have done it in only a few arrows, if he knew where to aim. And guessing from how that thing looked, it’s probably the scrumptiouos, soft parts that I wants to-
Shit.
You eat one of the sausages. It’s not usually this bad, but Carrion must be feeling bold after the limited access to food and Sydney only appearing so shortly. It’s trying to live it up while it still dares. Fucking bird.

You give up on trying to carry that last bit, as you need to have your sword available. You’re already overencumbered, regardless. You call out to Sucy to pack it up and get moving. While the bitch wasn’t willing to help with the food, she at least realises that she should go first, considering you’re a walking slab of food. Good thing you’re used to wearing a lot of heavy things…
You should get some armor back. Let’s see Carrion bust THAT open. Fucking stupid crow piece of god-damn shit.
The trip back was mostly uneventful, other than a lizardman scout on its way to check the market again. Sucy threw some particularly potent flashpowder in its face. As in, the face was gone and you were blinded level flashpowder. You considered calling Sucy a cunt, but you don’t want to waste words anymore. Maybe when you’re fixed again, yeah?
Another reason not to call her that. She’s kind of one of your doctors.

The storageroom survivors were quite glad to see the two of you, but it doesn’t take long before you are flooded with questions about Sydney. Or, well, One-Arm, as they call her. She never told them her name, sure, but she still has two arms. Even if one is particularly strong.
The main worrywart is, of course, the drider doctor upperbitch. She doesn’t hide her attraction to Sydney, which is kind of a point of contention between the two of you. It’s a very minor one compared to all the horrific, inhumane experiments and the complete disregard for human life. If she hadn’t proven useful, you would have killed her in her sleep. They would have never found the body.
It doesn’t take much convincing before Francine, Sucy and you are out on the prowl, looking for Sydney, but there’s a lot of places she could be. Where do you start looking?

Sneak along the streets.
It's a warzone out there, but there's a lot of ground to cover there... Better get started on the guesswork.

Alleyways.
You didn't see her on the way here, but maybe you can look in the right direction with some luck.

Other?
Plenty of places out in the city. Maybe you can find a sewer system? Do they even have that here? Whatever.

Stats
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: February 15, 2019, 11:08:12 pm »

look for her cat if he is around or on the sky, the pidgeon must be flying around her owner, and there aren't many pidgeons here

use the rooftops for a time to try to see it, if we don't see the pidgeon, there is the monster

Jack probably isn't hard to find on a distance, if it is 6m tall it will be a easy thing to spot and sydney probably is around it
Novice english wordsmith

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: February 16, 2019, 06:24:30 pm »

The roof. Familiars.
Excellent plan! Yes. Now, the rest of you? You can stay in a location for a period, right? Just don't eat eachother.
There's a few packs of cars in that crate over there. Keep yourselves busy. Sucy says, pointing to a non-descript basket. The former prisoners quickly jump for the ability to place their minds elsewhere. They're little more than baggage, really, but it's a good thing to keep civvies around. Not for practical use, mind you, just... it's a good thing to do.
Getting on the rooftops isn't an easy feat, without Sydney being here to help you. You can manage, using some junk and a wall, to get up there, but Sucy doesn't stand a chance, especially in a suit that bulky. Francine got up here first, and she seems to be very interested in something that's lying on the ground. When you get closer, you start to realize just what it is. It's... well, in any other circumstance, you wouldn't care. That thing has been annoying you since its inception, but right now the implications are uncomfortable at best. To be less facetious, it's bloody terryfying.
Sydney's pigeon is right here, and it's dead. The connection is gone.
Does that mean she's...?

PREY!
You suddenly hear from up above. You have your sword readied before you look, a wise decision in most cases, and especially this one. You only vaguely see a glimpse of something, moving at intense speeds. You place your sword in front of it, as a trained reflex, honed over the years. You parry the shape away from your body, but the force is enough to cause you to flinch away! You reach your footing again, and see your aerial attacker.
A female bird-person. It has to be a harpy, but those are supposed to be long-dead, possibly just legends!? Is that just a female bird-person?
Here! HERE! COME, COME RIP-TEAR! It begins to shout, it's voice sounding like an almost pained croak. The sound travels unnaturally far, however, and it doesn't take long before you hear commotion coming from the streets. Looking over the edge, you see a small horde of bird-people rushing towards you, flapping their feathered, extended arms to gain slight elevation and speed. You'd laugh at the resemblance to chickens if it wasn't for the clearly visibly spurs that resemble butcher knives more than they do feet. At least they're crap at climbing. They're, uh, finding alternative ways pretty damn fast, though!
The harpy continues shouting and pointing, assuring that you won't be able to get anywhere. In addition, you're pretty sure Francine doesn't even have a weapon on her!

Retreat and fight on the move.
If you can just break line of sight, you can take down the horde one by one.

Use the roof to your advantage and strike them down as they come.
If nothing else, they're a tad bottle-necked. You can fight them off like that.

Get on groundlevel, and figure something else out.
You need a ranged option, most likely, and the closest thing you have is Sucy's grenades. Of course, this takes up time that could lead to more birds being found and potentially the hide-out getting discovered!

Release Carrion
FUCK.
THAT.

Stats

Remember, if you manage to take control over Jack, the death timer is rewound just a tad.
If the timer runs out, the game will end, after a short epilogue.
Neat stuff I do:

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: February 17, 2019, 01:12:01 pm »

*minor hyperventilation as I try to figure out how to melt a human into base muscle memory and brain-stem instincts*
Don't worry I haven't killed myself yet
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: February 18, 2019, 09:57:57 am »

Neat stuff I do:

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: February 18, 2019, 12:41:06 pm »

Uh, we should be voting yes

Bottle-neck them. And try to consider the benefits of letting Carrion (whoever he is) out! He's just really hungry - might as well give him something to eat?
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 216