Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 184825 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2017, 07:18:58 pm »

See how it is effected by lethal poison.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2017, 10:07:00 pm »

Redundancy is, in fact, good when it comes to armor.

Fall sideways.  Kite it in circles, possibly while shooting it.  We don't want it running over your camp, after all.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2017, 04:29:36 am »

fall back!
 We need to burn the damn thing! Get our comrades to work on starting a fire!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2017, 09:47:52 am »

fall back!
 We need to burn the damn thing! Get our comrades to work on starting a fire!

+1, yes there should be firewood in the camp as well.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2017, 12:23:40 pm »

Redundancy is, in fact, good when it comes to armor.

Fall sideways.  Kite it in circles, possibly while shooting it.  We don't want it running over your camp, after all.
+1 preferably with lethal poison experimentation involved.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2017, 04:06:01 pm »

Im dont think poison would work with this thing. It may not have a circulatory system, and its too big for poison to have a serious effect. Also, im not sure if we can even get through the skin and fat, to inject it deep enough.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 21, 2017, 05:44:01 pm »

Im dont think poison would work with this thing. It may not have a circulatory system, and its too big for poison to have a serious effect. Also, im not sure if we can even get through the skin and fat, to inject it deep enough.
Yeah.

Maybe try and kite it through a fire.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2017, 06:42:20 pm »

The Lamentations of the meat

The arms writhe and pull the tower of meat closer. You need to think about how you're going to kill that thing.
Retreat! We need to come up with something! Let's go!
You skitter away, making sure everybody's following. Your regular companions follow without issue, having been trained quite well, but your new bandit friend quickly starts to trail behind. You turn around when you hear him grunt. He managed to fall down like a cliché! You quickly skitter back and pull him up by the scruff of his neck, telling the other to keep moving. The meat-pillar gets a bit too close for your liking as you do this, however, and you pull your new friend along as you move as fast as your eight legs can carry you. A closer look at those mouths showed something you didn't want to see. Underneath the twisted muscle and fat, you can still see the face belonging to every mouth.
You have discovered where Geldstone went...

It doesn't take long before you manage to create enough distance between you and the pillar to start talking about a plan. Everybody is looking at you, and you take a good look around. Looking back at the pillar of meat, you can at least tell it isn't going to be very fast, but finding a way to hurt it is another problem... What could you possible use to hurt something that big!? You could use your poison, of course, but you would have to get close, and you're not sure how confident you are about sticking a piece of your body inside of something like that. Still, anything's possible...
You hear the monster wailing with dozens of voices. It's kind of unnerving, but considering that it's still kind of a clumsy pillar a hundred meters away, it isn't that threatening. It makes you look back at the wailing creature, twisting itself around as it's numerous hands all try to get a grip on the earth. As it turns around, you see something that makes you blood freeze. Karliah is hanging from her arms limbs against the creature. She looks completely limp, and it's quite far away. You can see coloring against her skin, even at this distance.
Looks like we know where the paint went...
Hey, not to rush you, boss, but that thing is still getting closer!
Alright, alright... It's slow. We can outrun it, kite it from the side. We can just wear it down from range.
I don't have enough throwing knives for this job!
You're in a bandit camp! Just grab stuff off the ground!
That won't be enough...
...Well, then we burn it! Vvulf loved his little bonfires, right? We can place logs somewhere, and then lure it in. Once it's in position, we can force it to go through fire!
We need something to light it with!

The wailing grows ever-louder, and the pillar has gotten dangerously close. You scream at everyone to move, and the pillar seems to JUMP forward! It smashes itself against the ground with it's massive bulk, only barely missing you! You make use of your opportunity, and stab the creature with your stinger. The meat does not part easily, and the creature seems to give no reaction! Suddenly, the creature brings itself upright again in almost an instant, and it smashes itself down again. You only barely manage to jump out of the way, and one of your legs is far too close. A face stretches forward, gnashing a biting, and it manages to embed its teeth in your leg! You yelp in pain as more mouths come out, but you stab the mouth holding you in place before it gets worse! The mouth is pried off, and the tower comes up again! This time, you run away. The others have already begun pelting the creature with whatever they can find. Thorgal has taken a liking to throwing entire swords, while Yunikki and the new guy throw rocks and other general "heavy" things at it. None of those things seem to slow it down much, but it does seem to knock it around a little. It constantly lumbers after you. Your little skeleton friend has jumped off as you continue to creature distance. You yell at the others to get a fire going, as you continue to kite the damned thing.

Then, of course, comes a long, arduous battle of attrition. As the other try to stack up a bonfire, you have to keep that thing out of reach. The first few minutes go easy, but soon enough, you find yourself running on fumes. You were never that great of a long-distance runner. Short bursts were all you needed, after all. And this creature can just slide through any obstacle you need to sidestep or climb over. That thing's massive girth and strange sense of balance allows it to slowly gain on you...
Finally, you are reduced to dodging it's slow, but lethal attacks instead of running. Your lungs are burning, your breaths are ragged, but you can still dodge. It isn't too accurate, and it has to turn around to hit you with the "proper" side. It doesn't want to crush Karliah, apparently. You use this to the best of your advantage, but you're getting desperate. As you side-step another attack, you finally find the chance to strike your sword against the meat pillar. It almost bounces off, barely hurting the abomination. It's not even bleeding! It rears back, and slams down again, causing dust to fly up as the ground shudders and quakes. You try striking again, with two hands this time. You yell in a fury and your sword enters deep and...
It gets stuck. The pillar rights itself again, using a strange, stretchy tentacle at it's base. It seems to burrow itself into the ground before every strike, which is probably why it's so slow.
Thank the gods for small favors...

Soon after losing your sword, however, you finally see the smoke in the distance! You force yourself to move in that direction, your ragged breaths reminding you of how little energy you have left. The tower is screeching, wailing and gnashing it's teeth as you manage to create distance again. You hold your hand against your burning lungs as you move closer to the fire. As you get closer, you see that it is burning magnificently. A wonderful orange flame, standing tall and bold. You manage to reach it before your legs almost give out. Your group looks quite worried, and the abomination isn't far away...
We used Vvulf's paint cauldron! That stuff is flammable! If that thing drops in there, it'll light up like a damn candle!
You only have one bonfire. How are you going to get it IN there?

Lure it close, and jump it!
Tentacle or no, that thing can't be that stable! Get it close enough, and then jump on it to topple it over!

Collective attack!
You can't really attack it anymore, but your companions can. Maybe they can harm it enough for... something?

Jump through the fire!
You'll take the burns. You need that thing out of your life, now!

Other

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:35:04 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2017, 07:56:12 pm »

lure it in front of the fire, and try to get it to smash into us and the fire. Steel ourselves, and dodge out of the way before it can hit us. Also, concider trying to go for karliah. If we can pull her free of it or get the paint off her, we might save her. Alternatively, we could try to kill her and that might in turn kill the beast...
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2017, 08:56:48 pm »

lure it in front of the fire, and try to get it to smash into us and the fire. Steel ourselves, and dodge out of the way before it can hit us. Also, concider trying to go for karliah. If we can pull her free of it or get the paint off her, we might save her. Alternatively, we could try to kill her and that might in turn kill the beast...
+1
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2017, 03:39:54 pm »

Due to pressing exams, the next update will be a day later.
Sorry.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2017, 03:43:17 pm »

Thats Fine, Most of us will still be here when ya get back to it.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 23, 2017, 06:51:14 pm »

The bounty hunter's care.

With the heat of the flames nearly scorching your back, you dare the creature to slam down. You stick out your hand, and challenge the damned thing. The wailing and shouting reaches a creshendo as it smashes downwards, right towards you. You jump out of the way, and the pillar crashes against the massive bonfire! Cinders fly around you as the burning wood explodes around you, hitting some of your companions with the wooden schrapnel. You take a large piece of wood to your back, but you pay it no mind. The flames, eager for their meal, quickly leap upon the creature, causing it to scream. The sound is deafening, and you cover you ears as you stumble in confusion. The beat stumbles in wild panic, as the arms grab anything in range. Unfortunately.
That includes you. A hand grabs a leg that was too close. The arms and the mouths are covered in an incinerating heat, and they pull you towards them with an unholy strength of terror and rage. Your legs are caught at first, but soon your whole body is clamped against the creature, as the mouths extend and bite down on your flesh. You scream in agony as they bite and burn, white flashes blurring your vision. You can't hear anything but the wailing of the creature, and the crackling of the fire. The teeth gnash and chew upon you, locking you in place! The world begins to dim as pain becomes the only thing you can feel...
Suddenly, cool hands embrace you, and forcefully remove you from the burning pillar. The mouths, clamping on to your flesh, take their prize as your skin tears, and your flesh remain. Even your very blood seems to be boiling from the heat. You only faintly hear the dying wails of the pillar as you lose consciousness...

You seem adrift in an endless black. a feeling of weightlessness seems to be all-encompassing. You can't even your body with how light you are. You float around, until you see a beautiful white light. Your expression slacks as you look upon it, and you slowly begin to float towards it. A voice seems to speak to you, a soothing tenor that seems to sing to you. You can only barely make out the words.
A....Champion....Armies....Deserving.
Those are the few words you managed to understand. The beautiful light is getting closer, and you feel so happy. Tears roll down your face, and you begin to sob as you're just so damned happy. The voice is getting louder, and yet harder to hear. The light turns to a bloody beautifulred as you continue to float towards it. Everything is still so fucking joyful! Your lungs can't take in the air, you're suffocating with laugher.
Suddenly, you hear another voice. A familiar voice. It draws you away as you smell... Home. The vision begins to blur, as the voice screams.

You open your eyes, and you instantly regret it. Everything hurts. Your back feels like it is still on fire, and your spider parts feel shattered. You can hardly move as you groan in pain. Sharp pains in your abdomen, a dull pain in your shoulder, and so much burning. You force back tears as you try to look around. Suddenly, a rough hand takes you by the shoulder, and a masked man looks you straight in the eye. He instantly lets go while mumbling something through his odd helmet. It's an iron helmet, with slits for the eyes and a spike on top. The face is covered with heavy cloth, making it nearly impossible for him to speak. He takes a step back, and begins to fidle with his helmet. You're too weak to say anything as he slowly removes his helmet. Finally, he manages to make an opening for his mouth
Damn it girl... I lost you once already, twice would have been too much.
You find the energy to shout: Dad!
Your voice sounds hoarse, and weak. You cringe in pain as your back hurts once more.
Easy, now, easy! Come now, we didn't bring you back from the dead just so you can jeopardize it. Speaking of which, where'd you find these characters, anyway? They look like bandits...
You take care not to overdo it, and slowly croak out that they ARE bandits. Just... under your command.

You father doesn't look reassured. Still, he sighs and calls to the outside that you're awake. People quickly come in, Thorgal coming first, looking relieved. Yunikki comes in second, looking satisfied, followed by Laiko, who seems indifferent. The new guy, the bandit you picked up after the ritual, also comes in. He looks a bit nervous, like he doesn't know what to do. Thorgal speaks: You had us worried there, Sydney... I honestly thought you were dead. If this man didn't *ahem* INSIST on taking care of you, I wouldn't have tried... I have to say, you're even tougher than you look.
Bastard.
Hey, look, one show of that hook was enough, old man. No need to do any repeats. There is a hint of fear in her voice. It's quite unusual, considering she's still in full armor.
Did we kill that... thing? You're still hoarse, but you begin to collect yourself.
Mostly... It flailed around as the fire tore it to pieces, but eventually it fell...
After which the insides tried to escape through that girl that was attached...
They would have let it, too. Good thing I arrived in time. I chopped up that girl, put a stop to that...
After which you threatened to castrate me if I didn't help out taking care of Sydney.
It WAS kind of a dick move to not help, though.
Wasting supplies on the dying is not what we teach in the north! If my village spent its supplies on every unprepared traveler, we would have died out! So forgive me, if I didn't feel like wandering back to my fucking wife with my tail between my legs without even having any supplies!
A-Are you leaving?
He is... As am I. I need to get back to mother, and he needs to explain why he failed his mission. Oh... I'm glad you're alive, by the way. Things didn't look too good.
...about that. Look, we had to remove the bandages you already had, and the silk shirt. I gave you my cloak but... It's not pretty, Sydney. You've got scarring from your back to your shoulder. And we're still far from finished. Once you can walk, we're going to the city. Ambrosius will fix you up properly. I'll take care of you in the meantime.
Your father fully removes his helmet, and gives you the softest, most honest smile you've seen in weeks. It gives you a true feeling of safety.
The furs you're on are also awfully soft, apart from one small hard spot. You laboriously turn over, and see your little lizard skeleton. It looks as tired as you are.

Fall asleep
This will lead to your recovery, and begins the walk back to town. You will talk to nobody.

Ask Laiko or Thorgal to stay
You may still need them. But you're going to need a compelling argument.

Ask Yunikki what her plan is.
She didn't express anything in the way of plans. What is she going to do?

Other
Regardless of choice, you will still go through your recovery period, during which you will assess the damage you took, and some other things.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:35:17 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2017, 05:53:26 pm »

A little sleep, a lot of walking

You still feel the heat on your back, but exertion quickly wins out over discomfort. A dreamless sleep overtakes you, and for the first time in days, you get an honest night's sleep. A little longer than that, even. When you wake, you feel much better than before. Your burn scars hurt, and you feel thirsty. You slowly, carefully remove the blankets as your father sleeps in a corner of the tent. He's drooling a little, and he's still holding on to his hook. His axe lies beside him, still dirty with the blood of the creature outside. You look around, and find a bucket of water at the other side of the tent. You have a pounding headache that only gets worse as you take a few steps, but you reach the bucket without any trouble. You cup your hands inside, and start drinking. The water is cool and refreshing, though it has a strange aftertaste to it. It must be from the nearby river. You drink deeply from the bucket, and your headache slowly lessens. You carefully return, trying to ignore the last few cinders of pain as you move your back. Looking down at your body, you see that they've done what they could to bandage you up a little. The mouths took quite a bite out of you, but the wounds are flesh wounds at best. Still, it hurts. Your spider abdomen isn't much better off. One of your left legs looks... dead. It's just dragging along. It doesn't even hurt, nor does it overly affect your general movement, but it's very off-putting. Fortunately, it's not a permanent loss. Next time you have to molt, you'll get a "replacement" of sorts. It takes you about a year to regrow a leg in it's entirety, and that's only if the molting process goes without a hitch.
It rarely does.

You briefly consider ripping the offending leg off. You have trouble reaching it with your arms, but a good stomp on the limb and and a decent pull of the abdomen there and you'd be rid of it. Still, it doesn't look broken... It's quite likely to be some nerve damage, which can be fixed by a healer. You shrug, and cringe in pain as the burns play up again. You return to bed, and try to sleep a little. You've been sleeping so long, however, all you manage to do is doze for a couple of hours. When the sun comes over the horizon, you decide you ran out of excuses to keep lying down. You carefully leave the tent, taking care not to wake your father. He deserves some rest, if you'd have to guess. He still looks a little tired. You put on a shirt that was left hanging on the central pole of the tent. It's a little large, to the point that you could use it as a tent.
You know, if you weren't also made up of a meter and half of spider.
When you walk outside, you see a large pile of... stuff. All manner of trinkets, baubles and weapons. You see Yunikki sleeping next to it. Apparently, she sleeps in her armor and without anything in the way of a bed. The stuff looks quite valuable, most of it being jewelry and fancy weaponry. You pick up a dagger to inspect it more carefully. It's made from Ilithian steel, giving it the distinct pattern of rippling water. This stuff is quite rare, and it's strange that something like this would be around here. Although, it IS just a dagger, and the steel isn't that amazing. Still expensive, however. You notice movement from the edge of your vision, however, and keep the blade ready to strike, just in case. You don't have your shield with you, however, making you feel naked.

Fortunately, it's just the stray bandit you picked up, hands full of more trinkets. He's hardly even watching where he's going, looking quite stoked about his haul. You drop the Ilithian dagger back in the pile. When the bandit comes closer, however, he sees you and stares a little at you. He stops moving, looking around awkwardly, before finally managing to say: Hello.
Hey. What are you doing?
Collecting free stuff!
You jump a little when Yunikki speaks up. You didn't see her wake up because of her helmet, and she decided against moving. There's a tinny quality to her voice.
Yeah... I mean, everybody's dead. We can take this stuff. I know a guy to sell it to, as well.
Same city as your dad wanted to take you Yunikki makes herself a bit more comfortable as she crosses her legs. So Sam here will be travelling with us a little longer.
Ah. What are your plans, anyways? I see Thorgal and Laiko already left.
Yep, left shortly after you fell asleep. I'm not leaving, though.
Really? Not that I mind, but why?
Yunikki props herself upright a little. You can feel her looking you straight in the eyes as she talks
The only reason I'm not some abomination in a can is because of you. Where I'm from, that gives people a debt. I don't have a lot left from my country, but I'll keep to that.
So you'll stick around?
Well, I've got nothing better to do, and I like you, kinda. I mean, you were one of the nicest , and simultaneously scariest, bandits around. I figure I can get rich following you around.
You can get rich faster if you helped me search...
Hey, I got this pile, didn't I? Not to mention I carried twice the logs you did during the little adventure with that monster.
Sam scoffs, and unceremoniously dumps his items with the rest of the pile. You hear something break, leading to Yunikki jumping up. She glares daggers at the bandit, who is already resuming his search for more loot.

Touchy bastard.
Speaking of yesterday's adventure, what happened to the corpse?
Gah... That was creepy. You see, after it finally stopped moving because your dad chopped off the head of that girl it just kinda remained there. Now, we started taking care of you in different ways. Thorgal and your dad were applying herbs and bandages, after your dad did a little show of force, and me, Laiko and Sam went to get some water. Sam and me went to the river with buckets and Laiko looked around for some around camp. You've been kept cool with some expensive wine, you know. She chuckles a little inside her helmet Yeah, anyways. While nobody was looking at the corpse, ghouls must have smelled the thing. When we returned, we just saw dozens of those things devouring it. Creepiest thing was they didn't run when we got close, they were so caught up in eating that thing they didn't even notice us. Let's just say I was glad we had a tent flap between us and them. By the time we finished taking care of you, the whole creature was gone. Nothing left. Still gives me the shivers.
It's hard to see if she really does get the shivers from it inside her armor, but that's just the way it is.
You don't really feel up for looking around for trinkets, but you can probably still go do something, if you want.

Wake up your father
It's probably best to go towards the city as soon as possible. These injuries are unlikely to heal properly.

Socialize with Yunikki a bit more
You never really sat down and properly talked with Yunikki. You can do that until your dad's awake.

Try to scrounge up some loot anyway
While you REALLY don't feel well enough to do this, you could try doing that for a little while. You might hurt yourself by straining yourself like this, however.

Experiment with your magic
You should start playing around with your newfound magic. You can probably find a rat or something to resurrect. Or you can try some other experiments with the little lizard you already have. Also, you can name that little bugger.

Other
You will begin your walk to the city, regardless of the above choices, unless you refuse to do so.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:35:45 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2017, 09:42:39 pm »

Socialize with Yunikki!

(The ship must sail!)
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 216