Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185706 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #2145 on: June 18, 2018, 03:11:27 am »

We have others attacking with us, so infiltration seems less important.  I'd still go for a flamethrower, though, I don't think the giant drider will react well to being set on fire.  There should also be some proper masks for the pheremones.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: June 18, 2018, 01:07:38 pm »

the problem with the flamethrower is money to buy it

(remember we will still have to buy the recipes for ammo when we are going out of this city)

but a gas mask seems essential, if getting a new eye cost us about 200 maybe a gas mask isn't so outside our purchase power
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: June 18, 2018, 04:07:14 pm »

they succeeded in wounding my body double ... deserves a raise
Wordplay senses tingling... were those wounds, perhaps, fatal? Or as fatal as they could reasonably be considered given the victim...

Something guaranteed follows, so we're doing that first.
Them's fighting words! Summon Queen, eat Diva! Or, wait, I missed that turn...

Play around with giant murder-claw. See if it can swing around a sledge-hammer heavier than we are or anything fun like that.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: June 18, 2018, 04:42:51 pm »

If I had the time, I probably could make something similar to a flamethrower. Although I need materials, for one, and the testing... I can't make one within the year, probably. I mean, unless you're not particularly caring about it blowing up in your hand.
I think being on fire is still on the list of "avoid", yes. Do you think I can buy one?
Nope. It's not on civilian markets OR military ones, and no black market wants to attract that kind of attention. The main point is how it breaks some big law or whatever. They can't use fire. Explosions and bullet types? Fine. But you'll pretty much only find home-made flamethrowers.
How do you know this?
I was hoping to find something more practical than throwing bottles, so i tried to buy something like a chemical thrower. As it turns out, just about impossible to find. Information was easy enough, though, they've got a good library.
They have a library?
Why wouldn't they?
I feel like I haven't really had the time to look into it. Regardless, I guess I'm looking into another direction, now. Where could I get gas masks?
I can buy a couple extras, if you want. Seemed useful to get. I don't think you realise it fully, but their gas masks are better than what we have topside. I'm hoping to figure out how they make that rubber. I read it was from some kind of trees, but there's some more complex things going on to make it useful for gas masks. Not to mention, filters.
Do they have information on how they make bullets?
They do not. Guns are very controlled on the information-front. They do their best when it comes to preventing information, but they want guns to remain their territory the most. It keeps their military superiority.
That makes sense, I suppose.
Of course, they don't exactly allow blueprints past the borders, and I've been told they're very thorough on the searching.
As in, "bring the lube?"
I've been told they supply their own.
You decide not to answer that last line. If you are getting out of here with a blueprint on bullets (and the revolver, to begin with), you'll need a special plan to manage that, as well.
So many plans, so little time.

Creating a new familiar wasn't very hard, now that you have the time and mana for it. Even getting another pigeon wasn't exactly difficult, your cat did the work for you. As it lies there, getting ready to work as a new scout and companion, you consider that you really only managed to get a gas mask on your list of plans. While that's fine and all, you feel like you'll need more than that if you want to feel prepared. Although, you ARE pretty strong already. Maybe more preparation isn't needed?
It'll take a little longer for your little army of rodents to get created. You sent your children out to do the work, but it takes a bit to get vermin together, ultimately. Still, you'll have a decent bit of zombie fodder available, and bones if you want to make a few pinworks.
If you knew how, you'd have sent out feeler for Kai. Unfortunately, he decided to go into hiding to stay away from the drider threat. He felt the whole thing was above his paygrade, and that he'd rather just hang out in a safehouse than show his head for a while. At least, that's what he told the group before leaving.

You decide to do a little testing on the arm, and after some searching you even found something hefty to swing around. That being a bag filled with random scrap and bricks. While your normal arm had some trouble lifting it, let alone swing it, your claw had quite a bit of strength behind it. It swung it around with relative ease, though you still felt the weight of the bag quite clearly. You can most certainly sing around a lot more heavy things using that arm. Of course, after your little exercise, you do note that you feel like you pulled something around your shoulder. A powerful arm may be nice (although you'd prefer if you didn't look like a grotesque monster for a part) but it's still attached to a more relatively normal you. Overdoing it might just harm you.
You've still got about a day to think of something. The gas masks will arrive on the day of the assault, and your kids are still gathering up the dead vermin.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: June 18, 2018, 05:06:44 pm »

What do we want to bring against something big? Fire's right out. Maybe a big sword could get through the carapace with our strength, but that's just a maybe. Probably not going to get our hands on a rocket launcher or similar. A satchel charge would do enough damage, but might be hard to actually set up if we're attacking. Grenades could go well? Considering the Drider armor, probably more like a pure high explosive than frag. A grenade launcher would make it easier to hit, if we can get it. We have a nice throwing arm, though, so the launcher might be redundant.

Impact fuse HE grenades. Practice throwing with both arms; see which one will be better for this task.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: June 18, 2018, 05:50:56 pm »

I think that chains and hooks are going to get better, we will have to play like a shadow of colossus thing and sting her neck, her neck wasn't THAT big, and she will choke and get decapitated "easily" if she don't manage to use her arms or do something else more tricky

and oh, make another kid on some resistant flesh or something, their poison can help we to fill a poison-box, and we will still have a eggsack for the next day

call the pigeon "poop machine"
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: June 18, 2018, 06:28:51 pm »

I'd rather not climb the super-strong, giant, semi-humanoid creature?

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: June 18, 2018, 06:43:20 pm »

Whatever we do we will probably end this inside the queens belly and devouring it from inside anyway

have sucy considered in using a kind of sling to throw the potions? and make more spherical bottles to make it easier?

sucy could also try to create some kind of crossbow mecanism to throw bottles I dunno

use the potions like bolas????
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:04:45 pm by omada »
Novice english wordsmith

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: June 18, 2018, 09:42:51 pm »

We... We... This whole thing is doomed to turn into an Alexia party. Let's switch early and let her have some training. Ugh, training does not involve Slaaneshi cultists. Sleaanesh is cheap and nasty. What sort of giant cursed arm respects inertia? That is just weak lazy craftsmanship. A proper cursed arm wouldn't care what it was attached to... Why does her taste in Evil have to be so lame? Well, it could be worse, at least she isn't into whiny brat vampires...

Let's try to make a deal with Alexia. If she can save comparative innocents and noncombatants, then we won't try to get rid of anyone she recruits? She could use an incentive to keep the body-count low, and we are bound to get cultists sooner-or-later...

If she claims some of the queen's power, it would be really nice if she could spend some of it on breaking the part of our arm curse that stops us from removing it. We are going to go on a curse-breaking quest for Hal regardless, not to mention our tattoos, so the arm's days are likely numbered, but if it can be safely removed, then maybe we can get the dwarves to make some sort of socket, so we could swap in the cursed arm or what is left of our original or some other arm for, uhh, surgery? but this arm is demanding our submission to its presence, which is really uncool...

The queen is known to be cannibalistic, as is Alexia, biting is likely, try to get countermeasures. Line some sort of self-igniting oil we could pour down her throat, or a foam-0grenade that would go off in her throat and choke her... Also some extreme-nonsense bracer that we can use to defend against a bite without the bracer being likely to break nor having to wear a literal tonne of armour.

Look into carapace-piercing dentures. Alexia might not like the implication that she needs help, and who knows, by now she might have magic biting-power and not need it, but she should appreciate the thought...

Of course, we probably just need to make a hole and stick something nasty into it. Look into armour-piercing ammunition for our gun and some sort of tiny demolition charge to make a small hole into a large hole that we can sting through. Maybe get some shrapnel bombs that are small enough to stick through a bullet-hole?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: June 18, 2018, 11:59:40 pm »

Actually, how about something like pepper spray?  That should discourage being eaten.  And with gas masks it should limit friendly exposure.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: June 19, 2018, 03:24:34 am »

ERRR... no alexia

let's try our best to do it without alexia

remember that Alexia is being "monitored" by the police as a Slaneeshi leader, and turn in alexia at the side of the police force is going to be BAD to our reputation

unless most of them dies, so they will gladly "forget" that we were alexia and lied to them.
Novice english wordsmith

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: June 19, 2018, 03:41:19 pm »

no alexia
The problem is that the queen of the drider community here has a magical ability to make Alexia an issue. I mean, sure, we could hope that a gas-mask will stop that, but don't spiders breath through their carapace? If it were just toxic gas then I would figure that our lungs would be enough to power through it, but given that this is magic drider-stimulant, I wouldn't count on anything less than a magic hazmat suit, and even then, too many of our body-parts are sharp enough to cut clothing for such an outfit to be reliable. Avoiding becoming a wanted threat to society would be nice, but I think that we have to accept that it is almost certain to happen...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: June 19, 2018, 04:46:30 pm »

After asking around for a bit, you find that armorpiercing rounds for your revolver is easy enough. That is to say, you've already got some. The average round they sell is what they call a "full metal jacket". Apparently, it's intended for armorpiercing. The fleshy targets are meant to be shot with hollowpoints, though you don't know why that would be better. You're not exactly a physicist, you spend most of your time ignoring the whole death thing. Wizards are notorious for disregarding most laws of physics.
Now, while you DO have the bullets available, maybe you should look into a better gun for extended combat engagements, but...
You haven't got the slightest idea on what you would even pick! You thought of a recoilless rifle, though you hardly know where you got that idea. Honestly, it wouldn't be useful. Every gun you've seen still requires cocking back the hammer or removing a bullet with an extended movement. You've got pump-action, lever-action... The only thing that doesn't require a movement from you to get the next round ready is revolver systems. Double-action revolvers, at least, the single-action ones ALSO require some fiddling. You DID find a revolver rifle, but the same sources that told you about the available guns told you that it's a complete shitshow of a weapon. Unreliable at best, explosive at the worst. Most gun shops don't even carry it, as it doesn't get sold.

Explosives, on the other hand, give you quite a few options. The basic cheap option would be dynamite, though you'd have to bring your own lighter. If you move up a bit, however, you can find more lethal explosives in the form of fragmentation grenades. Essentially just an egg of shards and some black powder, hell, you've got this kind of thing on the surface as well (provided you happen to have a somewhat mean alchemist available. Oh hey, you've got one of those!). Rather than getting some commercially available explosives, you should probably just ask Sucy. Buying it is the better choice if you want to get some BOOM in bulk, but if you want a small collection of extreme causes of indigestion, you can just ask Sucy to share. And possibly buy some materials, if you want some extra powerful explosives. Getting around 20 sticks of dynamite will put you back 100 in cash, and buying Sucy specialized ingredients will cost 85. You still get some pretty good stuff without it, mind you, but you can get some really weird stuff. Like that foam bomb you thought of. It seems insane, and probably better for locking off a hallway or something, but jamming it inside somebody seems like a good way to kill them if you're into intensely sadistic and slow deaths. You know, the type where they know they're going to die and just have to stare in horror as they keep on feeling their insides getting more and more pressured before they finally rip open and bleed out, presumably not even able to scream as it fills their lungs and pops their eyes.
Seriously, that shit might just be a bit messed, guys. Stick to normal explosives?

You also consider trying to "train" Alexia, but considering that you ended up with a copious amount of drugs in your system and getting her wanted as the leader of a cult, you're kind of against it. She seemed to find it very amusing, which is unfortunate. You didn't get a lot of talking from her during your hospital stay, so the fact that she's back to laugh at her own shenanigans is probably a bad sign. Still, if the gas mask doesn't work, you'll just have to deal with it. She won't attack anything that she deems useful, which fortunately tends to include your allies.
Hopefully.
That was the last bit of time to consider preparations. Make the final few decisions. The prizes, where appropriate, will be listed tomorrow so you can make some buying decisions. Also, on the state of gun technology: The stuff on this level is around world war 1-ish, with some exceptions that you probably can't acquire. Which is a way of saying that some NPC's might just have some fancier stuff than you could possibly have acquired. Also: yes, cybernetics are about two-hundred years more advanced than their guns. The dwarven governments are artificially keeping certain parts of technology down, after all.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: June 19, 2018, 09:20:29 pm »

Did DEVA paid us for our last job? I think she would be paying the bulk of it in the day we got attacked. she owes us a bit of money so we can arm ourselfs.

1)okay, buy a bit of ingredients for sucy (and maybe even give a bit of extra dollars for her to buy something she thinks that will be useful) to make explosives

someone else in?

2)gasmask?
yes or no?

3) making a kid, but with enough time to have another eggsack tomorrow
yes or no?

4)a flak jacket, or something to take bullets, is that expensive? our armor is small now but increasing this thing will take a while I think, OH, DID WE GOT MORE CARAPACES?

If the queen try to bite us, try to put our big arm inside her mounth, remove her tongue break the back's teeths make her bleed whatever, if she manages to chomp our arm and try to eat it (she has cannibalistic attacks) she will have an horrible enemy inside herself

hey, did we ever tried to communicate with the arm?

ASIUDIUAHDIUAHSIUBCBASJFBISDBAUDBAJFBDAFBIASB THE PIDGEON GOT NAMED POOP TRAIN SDBIABDIUBCDFHSBHFBSIHDBASDBAISBDISABD

Novice english wordsmith

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: June 19, 2018, 11:27:02 pm »

Could be worse, I mean, it isn't "poop patrol" or "loopy poop coop"...

Can we do all of the things? We should do all of the things...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 216