Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185727 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #2040 on: May 27, 2018, 07:42:36 pm »

"Ugh, your funeral. Loot it quick and let's move on. We've stood around for far too long already."

Can we, like, go?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 27, 2018, 10:22:33 pm »

"Hm. Open it up, let's see what's inside."

Use the skeleton key on the ancient casket.
+1
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 28, 2018, 11:20:36 am »

The key fits, against the odds, and the stone slab becomes possible to shift, albeit with great effort. The treasures inside are tantalizing, dazzling even outside of the light. The first thing that can be noted is two fairly large and beautiful stones, or gems. No matter where you put it, it fails to keep a solid colour, shifting and changing in the light. Even the number of edges seems to change, no matter hat you do it never stays the same shape. If rubies and gems sell well, this thing would be worth a true fortune. Even the bounty hunter lets out a grunt of approval at the sight, clearly pleased with the find. Then, there are the other things. Jewelry, mostly, but carrying clearly powerful enchantments. If one is willing to accept the increase in prying eyes, they are certain to be of use. The first one grants its enchantment on touch. It actually identifies itself, albeit succinctly.

Ring of Knowledge
A simple iron ring, enchanted to grant knowledge to the wearer.

The clever knows that the uninteresting and drab carries the greatest value.

A valuable trinket, to say the least. It even seems to reshape itself according to the wearer. It is also useful for identifying the next trinkets, which don't grant their effects before being worn. A good way to know what one can use! You suspect that, if the heir has any sense, he would have dozens of these. Of course, why would he give them to people of which he doesn't know if they'll survive? It would be wasteful, of course.
The other objects are of a more direct value. The first thing that is looked at is an anklet. The small chain of simple, delicate jewelry consisting of emeralds and rubies is to be applied on the ankle. The ring has this to say on the trinket:

Anklet of Agility
A fanciful anklet, enchanted to increase the agility of even the nimblest creature. (+1 defence!)

A good eye can spot that the jewels are naught but glass, but the true treasures that wore these were not coveted for their clothing...

The increase in agility must be something else. It's probably a good idea to put this one on somebody. Maybe somebody with a deficit... Or perhaps the grave robber. With that on her, she could become very hard to touch indeed! Considering her relative fragility...
The other pieces of jewelry are considerably less plain. Whereas the former ones were simple items enchanted to carry value, these were valuable even before their enhancements.

Ring of power
An incredibly ornate ring, with a ruby cut by the elves in ancient times. Grants +1 to total amount of wounds one can take.

A powerful ring, specially made for a nobleman who was famously brittle. But, proud fool that he was, he cast it aside after winning his first tournament. All at once, the wounds he thought were mere trifles turned fatal. He died standing upwards, forever clutching his wounds.

How very fanciful those descriptions are. They feel like fables, don't they?
With no further ado, the ring describes the final object, a spiked amulet. Mercifully, the spikes are blunted, though it remains an uncomfortable thing to wear, certainly.

Necklace of strife
An old necklace, created by dwarves during the time of Koganusân. It's power grants even the dullest of blades a killing edge. (+1 wounds)

There are very few who still remember Koganusân. Those few that do agree that this is for the best.

Will you wear these trinkets? It will grant you a fighting chance against the coming horrors...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:46:13 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 28, 2018, 12:30:40 pm »

"Hmmm, anything you decide to give me regarding life or defense will be of great use. I prefer to just throw my daggers at other weapons or making things fall so the damage should be given to someone else, but before, can you see what exactly these things do? Oh, the lucky amulet is out of question of being used by you guys, it was bought before all of this and I want every penny and nightmares be worth it before handling it to someone"

Show the dagger-cross the ring and the lucky amulet to the one wearing the ring of knowledge
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 28, 2018, 03:52:48 pm »

"Petty baubles, I have no use for them. And I am unwilling to pay the cost. The price to the power that I have is quite enough."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 28, 2018, 05:10:13 pm »

The antiquarian's gaze locks to the Ring of Knowledge, as her hand arcanely levitates towards it, embracing it with bliss...
After a time she notices the Necklace of Strife to be unclaimed, and carefully dons the chained band.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 28, 2018, 09:30:20 pm »

”I will be taking this.”

Grab the anklet of agility, and the ring of power if no one else is taking it.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 28, 2018, 11:00:35 pm »

hmm... book guy? Can you analyze it?

Shake the items in front of the antiquarium
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 28, 2018, 11:52:06 pm »

* RAM doesn't pass up the chance to identify items, but will likely learn a valuable lesson about keeping knowledge hidden from others.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 29, 2018, 02:15:41 pm »

The antiquarian is all too happy to claim the ring of knowledge, gravitating towards it like a moth to a flame. She nearly laughs herself silly with the trinket, overjoyed at an easier way to discover anything she damn well likes! Nobody seems to object to that, either, most likely because of her almost obsessive desire to know everything. If anything, it'd stop her from whining. The immeadiate request to identify some items is also done with great pleasure.

Amulet of the marked.
An amulet made of the carapace of one who is marked for sacrifice. Grants a subtle link to the drider Sydney Aestinus, giving no immediate bonuses or negatives.

Sydney Aestinus was one of the few survivors of an unholy ritual. That ritual twisted everyone around her into the very same monsters one can only find around the Heart of Darkness. That same gestating madness that infects this world, seeking only to destroy humanity.
Despite these dark origins, this is little more than a bauble for luck or motivation. The link is nearly meaningless, for now.

The bounty hunter makes a strange, strangled sound at the name of this drider. He says nothing, his helmet betrays little. Is he afraid of driders? How odd. The noblewoman, meanwhile, rubs her arm awkwardly while granting a fake smile. She's clearly made uneasy by these artefacts.
Ancient jewelry, ancient enchantments... Daddy always said never to trifle with things like that.
Well, that's her right. The antiquarian identifies the cross, next.

Holy Ward of Turn Undead.
An old cross, repurposed as a makeshift weapon against the undead. Ineffective as a weapon, though still dangerous.

The priest living in the old mansion was famous among the hamlet inhabitants for his staunch defence against the invading horrors. When he sought to end these attacks, none ever saw him again...
Perhaps this is indicative of his final stand?
If hung above a place of worship, it will ward off most undead.

Looks like it's main use will be selling it to the town. Oh well. Still, as the description said, perhaps its a good weapon in a pinch.

The other trinkets are quickly claimed, the amulet of strife hanging proudly from the antiquarian. Her layers of clothing prevent any discomfort from the spikes. The effect is immediate, her weapon begins to glow a soft red. A clear sign of empowerment. The anklet of agility isn't quite so obvious, though it seems to limber up the joints a little. It's rather welcome, to say the least. The ring of power, however...
It doesn't feel good. It's hard to tell through the numbness of the disease, but you have a distinct burning sensation as you put it on. Not to the point of it being real agony, mind you, but still uncomfortable. You cough a bit, but the feeling soon passes. You DO feel sturdier, at least.

You continue to the next room, considering there is nothing else to do, here.
Predictably, there are enemies here. A great, terrible shriek fills the room as the ghoul looks up from its meal, blood still dripping from its lipless mouth. You don't know how he found a fresh corpse in this hell, but that is likely a question one shouldn't think about. As the tall, powerfully built undead abomination looks at you with its empty yellow eyes, the corpse it was eating rises up. It groans, before grasping towards you with as much hunger as the creature that was devouring it.

Stats

Grave Robber
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leper

Antiquarian

Abomination

Party Items
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: May 29, 2018, 02:32:53 pm »

"Back to the pit!"

Stun that ghoul!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 29, 2018, 03:06:03 pm »

"So... that uses only a cursed hide from someone and doesn't do anything besides making me having nightmares? oh damn I am going to throw that... oh fuck a ghoul"

Look for something like a chandelier that can fall, hit it with a dagger so it fall on my enemies

The ring I got is still to be appraised
Novice english wordsmith

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 29, 2018, 03:13:58 pm »

"Fog before sunrise."

Place myself between the ghoul and the party, then strike the foul beast down!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 29, 2018, 05:57:22 pm »

"tee hee hee hee"
Smoke
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 30, 2018, 03:33:22 pm »

Egan_BW
With a twirl, you build up enough speed to smack the creature upside the head in just a second. The head of the creature actually SNAPS back, at an unnatural angle...(roll=4) With a gurgled hiss, it grabs its head and cracks it downwards, before looking at you with murderous intent. It didn't even get stunned! This thing must be nearly impossible to even shake! You back off, letting the leper stand in front.

omada
Looking around, you see that there are no convenient chandeliers in the room, or anything that would easily be used for environmental kills. As it turns out, this isn't a source engine game, this is just a role playing game. No physics engine here, we got relative science. Now shut up and hit that walking corpse.
You decide to throw your dagger at it, instead, aiming for the eyes. To both your surprise and the ghoul's, you actually strike it! It stumbles back as you dagger pops the putrid eye like a zit, shrieking in rage and pain. The sound of it seems to grate on your very soul, and it slowly advances on you as it keeps on screaming. It hates you so much. (+10 stress)

DolosusDoleus
Before the fiend can strike, you put yourself between your ally and the enemy. With a scowl, you swing upwards with your blade. The ghoul dodges, easily, and you overshoot your strength and send your blade behind you, nearly hitting your ally! Fortunately, she's fast enough to sidestep the massive hunk of iron, but you feel pretty stupid.

RAM
Giggling like a maniac, you throw your smoking powders in your lantern. Almost instantly, the damned thing explodes in a blinding flash of light and noise. Your vision is left white, your ears are ringing, and your sense of balance is utterly shot. You feel the ground before you even realize you've fallen! You must have thrown in your flashpowder instead of the smoke! This is a bad, BAD time for it!

The ghoul, still absolutely livid at the dagger to the eye, slams his hand down on the leper. The leper is instantly pushed to the ground, nearly crushing him outright (attack roll= 4) (def roll = 1+1=2). He feels no pain, but there is most certainly something that didn't go right, there. (1 wound and a stun!). Using the leper as a stepping stone, the ghoul uses its unnatural speed and strength to swipe at the grave robber, with success! She manages to dodge it, but not without tearing a part of her shirt and causing some wounds. It's nothing bad, but it damn well bleeds! (attack roll= 3) (def roll= 2+1=3). Those claws can't be anything sanitary, besides. Still, the ghoul seems to make a gurgling laugh, like somebody is strangling a hyena. It then leaps back, landing on all fours.
While this exciting stuff was going on, the freshly risen zombie has decided to make his move and went for the weakest, most vulnerable, and certainly tasty member of the group. The antiquarian, still completely stunned from her blunder, cannot defend herself as the undead monstrosity descends on her. His cold hands grab at her, and then she feels the icy bite penetrate her flesh, her shoulder burns as the teeth tear into it. Blinded, deaf, and in pain, there is nothing she can do! (+1 wound, GRAPPLED!)

Stats

Grave Robber

Leper

Antiquarian

Abomination

Party Items

Remember when I said this was going to be hard? Welcome to flavertown, bitch.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:54:00 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 216