Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185753 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1995 on: May 21, 2018, 03:59:51 pm »

Egan_BW
You leave the tavern in a huff, leaving the crusader behind. The nerve of that man! You march straight for the smith, keen on getting some better chains. Chains seem to keep the beast down, somehow, though it's more what they stand for than any actual retrictions. You're completely free in moving around, after all, despite being covered in all manner of chains. It took some doing to get these flimsy things...
The smith looks content with something, and is just laying back in a chair when you enter. He raises an eyebrow, looking at you with a look that asks silent questions. You ask if he happens to have anything to improve your chains with, and he just nods in the direction of a collection of weapons and armor on the wall. Against the odds, some sturdier looking chains are just hanging on the wall... You ask if he needs payment, and he just nods no.
Not much of a talker, is he?
You take the chains, abandoning the old, rusted chains for some slightly thicker and certainly a lot cleaner ones. With some practiced and difficult movements, you unlock the chains with your key. The locks will be re-used, but they should remain more than sturdy enough. As you are "redressing" yourself, you also ask if you could perhaps get a small dagger of sorts, for emergencies. For that one, he points to a sign behind him.
"Daggers are 100 gold each."
You... don't have that money on you. Damn.
(+1 wound maximum!)

DolosusDoleus
When you enter the smithy, you see your companion in chains in the corner, grumbling to herself about something. You ask if your armor could be fixed up a bit, which causes the old smith to rise out of his chair. He takes one look at you, and then nods yes. You quickly remove the straps of your chestplate, causing the old dented metal to fall to the ground. You make some distance, trying to ignore the air that seems to gust right through your bandages. You still have some fresher wounds there, and just enough feeling for it to be uncomfortable. The smith is incredibly quick as he starts hammering the plate back into shape. The dents are removed, the armor is polished, and he even repairs the leather straps with a quickness that makes you suspect supernatural powers. Still, it mostly just looks like practice, and very available tools. How does he do it?
In what feels like mere minutes, you get your armor back, notably better. No big overhaul or anything, but it sure looks a sight better! (+1 wound maximum!)

omada
Buying a small flagon of whiskey and some extra food went easy enough. Good thing you already had a decent talk with the heir, and made a visit to the treasury. Some extra supplies never hurt...
(Tools and skills gained:
Swig of the good stuff (allow you to remove stress)
Extra Rations X2)

RAM
Following omada's lead, after he came in to buy some food, you try to sell a trinket in exchange for a food ration, but the barman refuses. He doesn't want to deal with things he doesn't know the value of, and he does not trust the word of somebody that he knows he probably shouldn't get to know. Too green behind the ears.
Prick...
Fortunately, though, he WAS willing to share some old bags. You fill up your supply of bags, which you apparently lost on the way here. What proper antiquarian doesn't have room for their stuff? Silly thought, really.
Ability gained: You can carry twice as much trinkets, but only if they are only valuable when selling.

You all meet up with Ambrosius, having done your last few preparations. The man is writing something down, though he's using some old statue to work on. He's clearly disorganized at the moment. You can't quite tell what kind of statue it is, though it looks to be of a man. It's ruined, whether by time or malicious intent is unclear. Ambrosius speaks first. (His dialogue is tilted because the leper has the same speech colouring)
The ruins, then? Good. A good choice for a first excursion. Make it out, and you're officially part of the roster. On that note, write your names here, and choose your torchbearer.
Our what-now?
Torchbearer. I send out one of the more experienced recruits with them to carry the torch and report back. Monsters don't touch anybody wielding a torch, even if its doused, but the second they do anything the shadows themselves take them. They'll be giving you advice, perhaps carry some supplies... Did you happen to make a friend?
No. They didn't. A voice says from behind the party. Damn that bounty hunter can be silent!
Reynauld and Dismas are out, the arbalest is still getting drunk, and I noted that the shieldbearer was warning me about a certain sneakthief. He says, glancing at the grave robber in the group. The Vestal and Flagellant refuse to work with anything "unholy". Sindris is famous for his hatred of other abominations... And I don't know where the rest are, but considering none of these people here mentioned them, I'm assuming they didn't visit the church.
Who the hell goes to a place of silence and dust for companions!? Was that even an option?
It was. I'm all you've got left. Shouldn't have played with heads, or flaunted your condition.
...Wonderful. Thank you, Alibert. Well, we'll get some final supplies, then you can be on your way. You remember the way, Alibert?

The caretaker looks positively maniacal as he stands behind the counter, his wares behind him.
The heir buys 8 packs of food for the party, enough for two servings. He also buys around eight packs of torch supplies, rags and fuel for the sconch.
There's money left over for two additional things. Choose wisely!
Antivenom (cures poison)
Bandages (stops bleeding)
Laudanum (stops persistent stress effects, removes a bit of stress on its own)
Shovel (clears blockages that might be harmful otherwise)
Dog treats (pleases dogs)
Medicinal herbs (cures debuffs)
Skeleton key (opens up any and all locks, but is extremely fragile)
The Blood (Soothes the gnawing thirst. NEVER to be used without existing infection)
Dagger (it stabs things.)

EDITS: Fuck me, what the fuck was I doing? Changed the typo and marking the leper as RAM for some reason.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:09:06 am by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: May 21, 2018, 04:28:43 pm »

"I can treat poisons and bleedings, so no need to spend money on bandages and antidotes, and I can reduce a bit of stress, maybe it's not needed

Sir Ambrosius, or my fellow veteran bounty hunter I shall ask, is my pickaxe enough to dismantle any blockage we could see in the way of the ruins?"

If yes

I vote for medicinal herbs and skeleton key

I will keep a sheet with my soon to be defunct character jost so I won't lose myself

Spoiler: Grave robber (click to show/hide)
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: May 21, 2018, 05:01:42 pm »

"100 gold!? That could buy someone a mansion in some places!"

Take a damn shovel.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: May 21, 2018, 05:05:13 pm »

"Let us go. A glorious end is upon us."

I vote for a shovel and a skeleton key.

Spoiler: Leper (click to show/hide)
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: May 21, 2018, 05:13:14 pm »

"I don't plan on 'ending' in there. And nothing I do can really be called glorious either."

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: May 21, 2018, 08:39:33 pm »

"That's a negative thought that I think it's chaining your true potential, sorry, I couldn't think a better word for this. And about ending, err, If I am to die, I wish that it's after the day when I get to be remembered and/or worshiped, maybe after taking the head of someone important in that darkest dungeon"
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: May 21, 2018, 08:42:33 pm »

"...Was that your attempt at a pun?"

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: May 21, 2018, 09:32:40 pm »

My vote is for Laudinum and a skeleton key. Madness should not be leapt into, it is a path laid for dancing! And loot-get is obvious... and with my new ability I am now the official loot-vacuum so...
And I'll check my book for skeletons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh hey, on my healing ability. Is it once per target? Once per excursion? Once per Antiquarian(ie. once ever)? As written I interpret it to be once ever, but I figured asking for a clarification wouldn't hurt...

P.S.
RAM
When you enter the smithy
Sweet! I get DolosusDoleus' perk too!
Ability gained: You can carry twice as much trinkets, but only of they are only valuable when selling.
Aye. My eye says I should doubt this phrasing.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: May 21, 2018, 11:26:09 pm »

wait

omada
Buying a small flagon of whiskey and some extra food went easy enough. Good thing you already had a decent talk with the ancestor, and made a visit to the treasury. Some extra supplies never hurt...
(Tools and skills gained:
Swig of the good stuff (allow you to remove stress)
Extra Rations X2)

... the ancestor?

are you talking about the heir?
Was I talking with the broken statue?
there is the ghost of the ancestor somewhere?

isn't the ancestor the dead guy who is responsible for all this?

damn, I must play again the darkest dungeon
Novice english wordsmith

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: May 22, 2018, 05:06:39 pm »

Skeleton Key and Shovel acquired!

The road to the ruins was short, as it was just straight to the ruined mansion on a hill. The place has a certain sense of foreboding, but you all have your reasons to press on. The heir gives a final "good luck", before heading back down the mountain. The entrance to the ruins are big, church-like doors, covered in engravings that would be very interesting, had dust and age not made them impossible to make out. With the leper up front, you push forward into the dungeon, the torch held high as hallway stretches onwards. The darkness is clearly unnatural, the light only reaching as far as the torchlight allows, not even a shimmer of light goes beyond a set distance. You don't even reach the end of this hallway before you are suddenly ambushed!

Out of the darkness steps a true giant, round armor and ancient medals gleam against the torchlight as it somehow hisses. It's an impossibly huge skeleton, wielding a deadly-looking mace!
Use its weight against it, strike the legs! The bounty hunter yells, as he gets as close as he can to light the way. You note that there are two other creatures behind this massive hulk in armor. Another old-looking soldier, rotted away to nothing but dust and bones, still wearing its old armour. It's wielding a crossbow with a bayonet attached to it. It's footing looks unstable...
But the figure standing next to it looks considerably less rotten. A dried husk of skin, it's features pulled back in a terrifying grimace from rigor mortis. That spear still looks new...
The torchlight has revealed these creatures in time, you get the first hit!
What do?

Stats
Personal stats:
Grave Robber

Leper

Antiquarian

Abomination

Party Items
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: May 22, 2018, 06:51:31 pm »

The Antiquarian briefly looks up the length of the monstrous monster, and is briefly struck by alien thoughts of "size doesn't matter" and "square cube law" before realising that such concepts are pure fiction. Longer limbs make them faster, it is simple mechanics. Big monsters are deadly monsters, and this one is huge! but that face is a large target...
"FLASH!"
Flashpowder.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: May 22, 2018, 07:01:45 pm »

"Everyone behind me!"

Place myself between the skeletons and everyone else, before swinging at the massive skeleton with my sword.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: May 22, 2018, 07:25:09 pm »

"Unstable footing, easy to miss"

Throws a dagger at the crossbow, not the crossbow creature but the crossbow itself, the aim is or to damage his weapon or to make it miss my allies (Bonus point if it hits the giant)
Novice english wordsmith

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 23, 2018, 04:44:17 am »

"One target unaccounted for... Surprise will do us no good unless we can disrupt them!"

Stun the spear one with my chains.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 23, 2018, 05:02:12 pm »

ram
Thinking fast, you throw your flashpowder at the massive skeleton. A perfect strike! The massive creature hisses in pain, and stumbles back against the spearwielder! (Roll=5)
debuff=-2 attack!
omada
As your companion's flashpowder causes the big one to falter, you throw your dagger with all your might! Precision and power course through you, as your pickaxe flies forward and embeds itself in the crossbowman, having shattered the weapon entirely. The creature collapses, and you laugh until you note that you just threw your melee weapon instead of a dagger. Leaving you in serious trouble if you need to hire something up close.

Egan_BW
Cleverly, you strike at the spearman doing a bangup job at hiding behind the big skellies. Sadly, the creature blocks your chains with its spear. No damage, and with the chain coiled around his weapon, you are as stuck as he is! (Roll=3)

DolosusDoleus
Strategically putting your wretched body between the creature and the party, you try to think of some poetry as you prepare a bloody, powerful strike. Just as the creature moves to attack, you perform a sideways hew into the creatures' legs. With gritted teeth you cut through them like a hot knife through butter, the fury of an ocean storm! The creature falls, and your broken sword keeps flying free. You hit a pillar, and your sword is stuck.

On the upside, the massive creature's skull popped open like an egg. The ground quakes from your blow!(roll=6)
You are sadly stunned, your sword is stuck and your arm is paralyzed from the rebound.

Only the spearman remains, his spear caught In the chains of the abomination. Hissing in frustration, it charges at her, the spearhead shining in the torchlight. However, the effects of the flashpowder affect the creature's aim to the point that it is easily forced into a stone pillar.
The weapon cracks in two, the ancient wood being too rotten to withstand the hit.
It looks pretty sheepish as you quickly kick the disarmed fallen soldier to death.

Victory!
[/b]
Now what?

(You guys got lucky on these rolls.seriously now.
Also I had to write this from my phone, so there might be some oddities.)
Neat stuff I do:
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 216