Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185758 times)

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1980 on: May 18, 2018, 10:37:10 am »

So, I will change pronouns everytime when I talk about my character because whatever, let's act as no one knows what it is behind his/her pants, but if someday it get relevant or too confusing to write, it's a woman

*Hugs the antiquariam and the abomination at the same time* (and act as if I am not grossed about the abomination appearance)

"HOHOHO, new friends AND more money to the tavern? It's my lucky day, going to the blacksmith, gonna meet you all on the tavern and get prepared to clean this lands"

go to the blacksmith first to check my equipment before going to the tavern, keep the blacksmith distracted if he heard about some rumor or if there is something from the dungeons that he needs, while I keep an eye for things that can be easily "borrowed"
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: May 18, 2018, 01:01:57 pm »

”Hm.”

The hulking, bandaged figure nods imperceptibly before trudging off to... wherever it is he is going, sword scraping the dirt behind him. He pulls a bloody sack out of his bag, before grunting and putting it back inside.

Head off to the tavern. I would still like that drink I talked about earlier. Also try to talk to some of the more experienced adventurers.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 18, 2018, 09:58:18 pm »

The antiquarian takes a deep breath, draws forth their musty tome, lets out a momentous sigh, clenches upon a sharp stick of bound and slicked char, takes one, final, perilous breath, clenches her teeth, and approaches the abomination with a worm of fear in her eyes... and accosts them.
"Do you often change? What causes it? Has it been happening long? You mentioned goats, what are horns like? Can they be harvested? When did it start? Do you tell people" Does anyone know what it is? Are dogs common? Have you tried a boar? Or a bear? Or a boarbear? Does it affect aging? Does it age? Have you tried silver? Wolfsbane? Gold, ash, poppy, fishoil, rice, garlic, salt? What's the tallest? Widest? Longest? Briefest? does it hurt? Nausea? Lethargy? confusion? lazy vision..." with a gentle stuttering in their steps from the murky horror that had just befallen.

When she is done trying to assemble a new entry, she proceeds to the bar to seek the strongest lemonade she can find and bob through the squaloring gossip and dreads forth whatever dread sermons the local might disrobe.

"..."
The abomination crosses her arms as this women seems to let loose every question she can think of, waiting for her to finish before replying.
"Perhaps it would be best if I were to start from the beginning? Or would you rather just hand me your book and let me fill out everything that I know? I may not look very clever but I can read and write. Books're how I got like this in the first place..."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: May 18, 2018, 10:11:13 pm »

"Oh, it's, uhh, rather important to me, I'm not supposed to hand it to other people... But if you could tell your tale!"

I do not foresee myself making book entries, so you won't look lazy by comparison if you don't bother to provide a backstory.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: May 18, 2018, 10:28:27 pm »

"Ah. Well, I was fairly well-off, part of a noble family. The kind of person who never really does any real work in their lives. I didn't like that. It was boring. And, you know, I always kinda liked the idea of magic, you know? All these kinda special powers that people could get, change the world directly. Buuuuut there weren't any real magic schools around, and my family didn't like the idea of it, so instead I went and joined this..."
She winces here.

"It wasn't exactly a cult. It was actually a rather scholarly group! A kind of, uh, on the lowdown occultist collage. We were all finding these books, trying to work out spells from them. Most of it didn't do much, really. We got excited when a half hour of preparation lit a few candles...
And uh, then we found a book that worked. I tried casting the first thing in the book, a little healing incantation. Sealed a wound just like that. So understandably we were getting pretty excited about this thing, you know? So I skip to the middle of this tome, finding a thing that's supposed to 'grant great strength to the caster.'
Well, I don't really remember much after that. When I came to, everyone else was either dead, or had ran. The book itself was shredded; I kept it with me, but I could never put the pieces back together well enough to find another spell. I thought about using that first spell I casted to be a magical healer, but it turns out that it takes people apart about as often as it puts them back together. Who knew?

So yeah, now I can turn into that thing that you saw. Mostly use it to kill giant rats or whatever that people find in their basements."

Ah, a drink sounds nice.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: May 19, 2018, 04:24:17 pm »

I do not foresee myself making book entries,
While this is against my philosophy of keeping the player in as much control as is feasable to keep a story, Tome of Eternal Darkness entries are always very clinical and information-based. Maximilian Roivas was a gibbering lunatic in his studies, but his autopsies were crystal-clear, accurate, and added many interesting bits of trivia that even he would have trouble discovering. So, I'm going to make it canon that every entry in the tome is accurate and to-the-point, the notes in the margins are the personal additions of the writers.
Most of those really are gibbering madmen.
In short, your entry would be free of any storytime assumptions that you don't know yourself.

omdada
Following the general routine almost everybody who means something in the hamlet follows, you head off to the blacksmith. The man is hard at work, as always. It's hard to tell how the man does it, but he's an exceptional smith. He needs time and money for his work, of course, but his massive, engraved forge shows that it's well-spent. The heir, Ambrosius, invested heavily in the man. Despite being so impressive, however, the smith never talked much. He can talk, mind you, but he just doesn't see the need. He's also the only man in this whole hamlet that knows what a damned smile even is. You get to talking about the local rumours. A call-back to your old little past-times as a noble.
If that actually happened.
As you prattle on about what Dismas is doing with the Plague Doctor (the noises...), you eye around for anything you migt be able to "borrow". Sadly, you're in the smithy. The man is very simple, the only thing he keeps around are materials that are only of use inside the forge. For his dinner, he just goes to his house to cook. And trust me, that man's house is impregnable. Turns out he's a locksmith, as well.
Many disciplines, that man. Makes you wonder just HOW old he is, but his bandana and thick beard makes it hard to tell. "Above 60" is what most people guess. Still, you spot one thing to potentially pilfer. A whetting stone, to sharpen your tools. It would be a good idea, no?
Slowly moving to pilfer it, not stopping your ramble about social manifestations in the hamlet, the smith continues hammering on a red-hot piece of metal, looks like a spearhead. You pocket the stone, and quickly make your leave shortly after. The smith chuckles to himself as you leave.
Weirdo.
As you head to the tavern to get to know your newest "friends" (that woman in chains is kind of disgusting...), you suddenly feel a hand on your shoulder.
You. I saw what you did. You hear a woman say, a strange unfamiliar accent tingeing her common speech. You are turned around, and see a woman with the gear of an eastern warrior on, and a veil. She is missing a hand, and her eyes seem to bore through you. There's something distinctly snake-like in them, whether it's your imagination, or the way she seems to slowly shift her footing, you're not sure.
What did you steal from the harrabak? The... The smith?
She's unarmed, but it's not a good idea to start trouble in the hamlet. Not to mention, the woman looks dangerous even without her weapon.

DolosusDoleus.
So, what's your deal. Here to get rich, or to die? says a man with a fur coat and some seriously dangerous looking weapons. A dagger and a flintlock pistol, but shined and sharpened to a masterful point. The word "Thunder" is engraved along the barrel.
To die. (If you disagree with this response, feel free to ask me to change it. I'll do so.)
Don't feel like going it alone, huh? I get that. Still, I figure you want to be useful, so lemme give you a piece of advice. Stay out of the Weald for now, the hag is starting to get a little dangerous to our liking, and you're likely to come across the bitch... She nearly boiled me alive last time I saw her. If it weren't for Reynauld I'd have died there.
But we gave her a thorough thrashing, did we not!? A man wearing full plate suddenly says, carrying three mugs of beer with him.
Aye. A shot to the eyes is enough to dissuade anybody. Would have preferred making that shot before she threw me in a pot, though.
T'is the dangers of these dungeon, no? Now, friend. I see you are a sufferer of leprosy? My condolences to you, for what it counts. Now, I believe Dismas was giving you some information? Here's my suggestion: the warrens are a good first place to test your mettle. The place is tougher than the ruins, but not to the point of it being too tough to handle. Many beasts and diseases can be found there, true, but our very own plague doctor and nunnery can help you out.
Before you ask, he means an actual building with nuns. If you want whores, go upstairs.
Though I suppose it would be best if you did not ask for anything... salacious.
"Keep the tip".
You hear a figure snort behind you, from a different table. Another man wearing his armor, mostly thick studded leather and belts to keep his materials in, and a peculiar helmet that covers the top of his head, and then moves over to a veil. Not a single part of his body is visible.
Classic. He turns to you. His voice is monotone, and gravelly. Cove is pretty bad too. Hrm. Try ruins first, then go for cove. The boss doesn't do disease for free, better to deal with fish.
Thank you, Bounty hunter.
...Thanks for saving me yesterday. It was-
Doesn't matter. I do my job. He turns away again, and starts going over a plan of some sort. You see the drawings of some kind of monster on it, but your eyesight isn't exactly great.
Right. Well, I suppose if you merely wish to whet your appetite for combatting the unholy, there is no end to the skeletons in the ruins. Until I find that damned necromancer, that is.
Still going on about this? Look, that phalactery means it's regenerating right now. We can only go-
In two week's time, I know. Please understand, my friend, eradicating the unholy is my sworn duty.
I know, I know. Just don't want you rushing off again.
You fellas haven't talked about the darkest dungeon yet. A moustached man from behind the counter, clearly the bartender, suddenly says.

The revelry seems to quiet at the mention.
That place... Could use another scouting.
DON'T. Send rookies. There. Dismas said, his temper suddenly up. That place will crack them like a fucking EGG.
Y-yes. You're right... Gods. Lydia never deserved that...
Let it be a lesson. Don't trust anything in that place. With luck, we'll be able to mercy kill her next expedition.
Hm. I think that'll give the rookie enough context, no? The bartender pauses a moment, looking at the grim faces of all his patrons.
Oh, what the hell. ONE FREE ROUND OF DRINKS, IN MEMORY OF LYDIA! The bartender suddenly yells, his talent for bass singing becoming suddenly apparent as his voice reverbs through the tavern. The tavern buzzes to life, leaving the silent moment drowned in a sea of joy.

The antiquarian and Abomination just talk to eachother, away from the rest. People are a little wary of the strange figures that didn't socialize.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: May 19, 2018, 05:18:33 pm »

[OH FUCK, Hmmm, trying to lie directly seems it will not work, okay talk half of the truth, and then bombard with truths to be more believable,

Transform it in a half truth, openly start sharpening a knife or something small showing the stone

"uh... what? STEAL? Ooh no, that would put me dead, only the gods know what he can do with those muscles, oh damn, did I said it loud? Damn, I really need that brothel. So... I am talking too much, and didn't answered completely your question right? I just need to learn to take care of my tools without depending from others, then maybe I can show that I know the basics to get to learn a thing or two from him, do you think it will be hard to convince? My name's Sabugosa, what is yours?"
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: May 19, 2018, 07:54:32 pm »

((I'm pretty much just going for the DD Leper, plus a healthy dose of DEUS VULT once the combat really starts.))

"Hm. Is the dungeon truly that terrible? I heard stories, of course, but wrote them off as old wives tales conjured up to scare children, nothing more."
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: May 19, 2018, 10:54:15 pm »

"You know, a dungeon that'll turn me into some kind of tentacled horror kinda loses its bite when I turn into a big capra thing when I get scared anyways."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: May 19, 2018, 11:30:06 pm »

"Mmph... uhuh... probably..."
Look up hags with pots in my book. Anyone willing to randomly mix leper into their concoction is just not right...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: May 20, 2018, 04:36:09 pm »

omada
Incredible. Every word that just came out of your mouth made no sense. You wish to show independence through stealing? This is no place for sand-ticks like you.
Without warning, she punches you in the stomach. She really IS stronger than she looks, and you buckle forward. You just can't take hits like the other people here, and you didn't expect it. Not to mention, she is really, really fast. She rummages through your pocket, and takes out the stone. Then she turns on the spot and leaves, swinging her hips mockingly.
That was embarrassing.

DolosusDoleus
Hm. Is the dungeon truly that terrible? I heard stories, of course, but wrote them off as old wives tales conjured up to scare children, nothing more.
The stories are underselling the place, mate. You NEVER know what you're going to find down there... One time, we had to fight off clones of ourselves, made up of... rotten flesh. Just... ugh.
And we thought the formless flesh was going to be the last time we'd have to deal with that. At least The Horrors were relatively straightforward.
Hm. Three heads to collect. Just watch the lightning.
Mhm. Bounty puts up a good point. Ever since we cleared that place, there's been Horrors in the other dungeons, too. They're big lumbering things, and... well. They come in three versions. You'll know it when you see it.
Getting off-track. The dungeon's a shitheap.
Now, now. Mind the language!
Yeah, mind the fuckin' language, old man. a woman says, a little too loud. The lady's got an arbalest on her back, and is wearing plate. Guessing from her blushing cheeks and stumbling gait, she must be really drunk.
Ngh... You should go sleep off the alcohol. We will need you on our next expedition.
Fuck you, I shoot better when I'm drunk... By the by, you reconsider my offer?
For the last time, I was a married man and I will not betray her. Not to mention, crusading requires celibacy.
Come OOOONnnnnnnnn~. she whines, hanging on the crusader.
Ah, give it up. Reynauld doesn't even dare look at the windows of the brothel. He's not about to go do it with you.
Pffffft. Who c-cares. I'm hot as shit, I'll get 'im eventually!
You can have literally anybody else. 'Cept maybe our new friend here. I'd not risk it.
Bawdy laughter echoes through the tavern. They still didn't exactly answer your question. But it's clear that the darkest dungeon is only for the most foolish or brave people around. If nothing else, you have a clear idea of what to expect.
Maybe it could have been better, who knows?

RAM
You find nothing about hags with pots, specifically, but you DO find a collection of rituals that would allow the things that were described. In fact...
Most of what you saw in that weald must come from that hag. Wild plants, mushroom zombie infestations (which have their own part in the book. Apparently, they're mushrooms that infest the nervous system at first, turning people into disposable, enraged technically-alive zombies. After that, the tendrils of the mushroom manage to grow into the limbs, and control them into more typical zombies. They're closer to mushrooms using dead bodies as a shield, and ambulatory equipment. These things get pretty nutty!), wild semi-alive animals, diseases...
It's pretty insane what a hag can acquire, too. Bodies that close wounds as they just take a sip of human stew, fat as a capable as plate, "seasonings" that assault the psyche of those covered in it, and casting a soul-bind hammer, hitting every nearby ally of a creature on hit.

Egan_BW
Your studious partner distracted by her book, you add your two cents to the darkest dungeon situation.
"You know, a dungeon that'll turn me into some kind of tentacled horror kinda loses its bite when I turn into a big capra thing when I get scared anyways."
The bar falls quiet. All the laughter is instantly sucked out at your little joke. Reynauld especially takes on a threatening stance. He walks to you, looking down on you and looking positively murderous.
It was bad enough I had to tolerate one heretic in our midst. But two? You will join your damned college OUTSIDE. NOW!
Suddenly, the bounty hunter appears behind the crusader. He places his hand on Reynauld's shoulder.
Let the girl be, Reynauld. She's here to fight monsters.
Reynauld still looks positively livid with nothing but his body language. But the bounty hunter is worse. His eyes, barely visible through the mask, don't show a hint of fear. They do, however, show at least three plans to take the crusader down, and they both know it. The crusader stands down, and walks back to his seat without a word. When he sits down, however, he points at you.
I shan't EVER join you, do you hear me!? I will NOT associate with your kind!

DolosusDoleus
Looking at the debacle, you're not sure what to think. This place changes moods really fast. What makes things worse, however, is when you suddenly notice the lack of a certain weight.
Your head!? With the highwayman...
LADIES AND GENTLYFUCKS! WHo wants ta see what's in the BAAAAAG!
Oh damn! You stole that?
Right under that big ugly hooknose, Dissy! Hahahaaa! The woman suddenly trips, sadly, though it did not stop her laughing. What it did do was cause the head to roll out of the sack.The dead eyes of the bandit stare right into those of the living one. The resemblance is... exact.
W-wha... What the fuck!?
Gods damn it! How did...
O-oh... I think I'm gonna... Fuck. D-did he kill Dissy?
Somebody put it back in the sack. And get this freak out of my establishment. the bartender says. Before you know it, dozens of hands grab you and throw you out of the tavern.
That... wasn't ideal.
They also throw the sack with the head at you.

It's time to delve into a dungeon. Gather up your final parts, and choose where you will venture. The options are the Ruins, the Warrens, the Cove, the Weald and the Darkest Dungeon itself.
Choose wisely.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:08:31 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: May 20, 2018, 04:51:55 pm »

"...Did you just threaten me? You know that I'm gigantic beast with scything claws, right? Generally people regard threatening those as a bad idea.
Listen, I don't need you help. I know what I am, and I don't mind."

Bah. May as well get these chains fixed up. Not the most typical weapon, but still, I don't want them falling apart on me.
Ah, and get a dagger, too. Hide it and don't tell anyone. Best time to stab a motherfucker in the eyeslit is when he doesn't even know that you can, see?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: May 20, 2018, 05:34:50 pm »

Well this is all manner of unpleasant. I shall need baggies to keep things dry and clean! and food, food is important, probably... and wraps to keep spores out?
But... Let us try the ruins? It sounds dry at least.

P.S.
omada
Without warning, she munches you in the stomach.
But if she munched him, then she would have been using her mists, and misseds never hit anything...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:52:02 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: May 20, 2018, 08:34:26 pm »

”...hm”

Go to the blacksmith to see about some better armor, and then I’m ready to go. The ruins sound nice.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: May 20, 2018, 09:45:08 pm »

"Oh fuck I'm in love... hehehe, why I do need to feel fear to feel anything?, better not say it loud, I am scared of that psychiatrist, ohfuckeverybodyislookingImustgo"

Sit somewhere for a few seconds to regain breath, use the money to the tavern to buy a bit more of food( The heir won't mind me using it for something usefull right?) just one small dose of something very strong to carry it with me, in case I need a strong drink inside the ruins, then, go to the meeting point

in game when meeting the others I will suggest the weald because I can treat poisons and wounds, and I don't know of the hag, I will be easily convinced to go to the ruins and get better first then go and hunt someone high profile for fame and whatever, so... RUINS
Novice english wordsmith
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 216