Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185789 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1905 on: April 29, 2018, 05:28:55 pm »

They are really solid, those pups might be worth a bit of coin if they can be trained enough to stay put. The biggest revolver we had and it barely made a dent. Throw a bit of armour over their vitals and they could make trouble for the driders. In a few years... Having eaten babies of something that can talk, they are safely outside of legal protection, so mind-leech is an option, but we really don;t want people to know of that. Can we fake it somehow, make it look like some other force... Most locals don't know much of pure magic, we could try to stick a Pinworks onto some sort of bone or something lying around here or gained from one of the other pigmoles. It wouldn't work but if it were rigged into an amulet it might look enough like a magic charm to convince people it was keeping the mother functional enough to suckle... Or we could load the mother onto the zombies?
Capture them. Mind control the mother if the zombies can't carry it out on a sled or something. Or just take the babies if we think we can keep them alive without a mother. We must have heard some animal-care wisdom from our time at the inn and our interactions with the hunters at The Orc Tower...

Maybe we could make a tusked shield out of one of these skulls? It would suit the new arm and these skulls can stop... the biggest revolver they'll sell to random weirdos.

The dwarf seemed to consider this her basement, and the lamia seemed to believe that they had an accord with the dwarves. Lamia doesn't seem overly aware of things, might be a child(Whatever that says about their adult size...)? So it could easily be that their arrangements were with private interests and there is nothing registered with the government... There does seems to be some sort of political issue at work here. If we turn our backs for a moment then there might be a terrible accident where the lamia habitat is destroyed and how very sad that is but now there is nothing to stop construction... We probably can't protect lamia interests by ourselves, and for all their combat ability, lamias seem more vulnerable to guns than pigmoles are. It could be that a bribe to keep quiet about this is enough money for the lamia to start over somewhere else, and the best outcome they can hope for. Trying to explain that to someone who seems like a child, or maybe someone who raised themselves from childhood, is not an easy prospect. Need more data...

Also, the driders are not the most delicate of people, there may be little left of the lamia that were taken. Did we see anything that looked like reptile meat when we were in the driders' care? This little lamia might need to start a new brood and these pigmoles might someday turn out to be useful guardians, like kobolts and spiders...

And then there is the issue of taking the lamia to medical attention. We did plenty already, but she is far from healthy.

P.S.
 Moral of the story: There is always loot.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: April 29, 2018, 05:46:36 pm »

Kill the pig! Cut her throat! Spill it's blood!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: April 29, 2018, 07:07:12 pm »

Kill. Eat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: April 29, 2018, 10:50:26 pm »

Does the mind control leave traces? the idea of controlling the mother/training them seems nice

and killing a mother will probably make Lamia mad at us

she said dwarves helped the driders, look, they say they manipulate dwarves a long time

maybe they did that to the old lady and this is just part of a plan, be prepared for an ambush when leaving, send the cat first.

we can help Lamia somehow, we probably can convince the old dwarf to let Lamia live if it can provide the stylist for some scales it drop, exotic material might help her work, plus some smart protection against future pests, plus if she wants lamia can be a bodyguard

remember that the law is a bit against our bias, it probably is against lamias bias too, so taking the case to the court will end poorly

we can say that we can bring lamia to smash the drider den with us, but just don't be loud about it outside
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: April 29, 2018, 11:44:30 pm »

Ooooh, the lamia might not like killing a mother, it is true! On the other hand, it is almost certainly a predatory carnivore, and things get ate all the time... it probably isn't a problem. Still, they "appear" to be pacified so it should be harmless to go back and discuss the matter with the lamia. Theoretically they could be reared as guards for the lamia...

If the dwarves went in and murdered the legal owners of the land then a court case should be viable. It isn't just lamia rights at stake, it is also landowner rights, and there are few things more sacred to government than real-estate is... If the lamia were killed by a third party and then the new owner moved in to what appeared to be an abandoned property but actually still had legal owners there and they completely failed to inspect the property before construction, then things could go either way due to bias. Building gotta get built afterall... It is a valid concern, but until we know more we shouldn't dismiss legal options. Of course, that is a matter for the lamia. No way are we sticking around for a court case. It could go for months or even years. We don't have that sort of time...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #1910 on: April 29, 2018, 11:45:12 pm »

Jesus Christ, this story is still going? Wow.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: April 30, 2018, 04:52:47 pm »

You start with the mother, taking out your sword and pressing it against the creature's throat. With the force of both your arms, you pierce through the thick fat and kill the immobile beast. It's roaring pig squeals are louder than most, and it just KEEPS. ON. GOING. You stab it again and again, failing to find the airway as the creature bleeds everywhere. The piglets don't seem to move, either, though they've stopped suckling from the mother and are instead keeping close. Cowering in fear, mostly. You're glad they don't make the same noises as the other pigs do, because that damned sound is REALLY starting to get you. Not helped by this thing that won't. fucking. die!
Losing your patience, you pull out your revolver and put the barrel under the chin of the creature. When you fire, you are happy to find that this is, in fact, a weak point for these stupid things. Not that they'd ever show it, not to mention you might as well cut the throat if they're not too fat to move (and take an impossible amount of hits). The point is, of course, that the skull of the sow is currently splattered against the earth wall, along with some very disgusting pink matter.
With THAT out of the way...

You look at the little piglets, and pick the first one up with your clawed hand. It struggles with all its might, which isn't exactly much. It's... pitiable isn't really the right word, you think. It's just... These things look, feel and probably are harmless. But they'll be problems later, when they're bigger, not to mention your job doesn't exactly ask for living ones. You take a deep breath as you hold the piglet close to your chest, holding it up with your normal arm and placing your claw against the head.
*Wrnch*
It's not a crunch that you'll be remembering fondly. It's the quickest and most painless way you can think of that doesn't involve spending bullets, though. You drop the lifeless piglet on the floor, and pick up the next one. It's small legs wiggle as it makes a weak little squeal, more pitiable than the others you've been hearing. As your malformed fingers are around the head, you hesitate. Taking a deep breath, and closing your eyes, you crack this one's neck, as well.
The next one.
It's not getting any easier. The creature's breathing is so incredibly fast as it sits in your grasp, until it turns still very suddenly.
Next one.
You're having trouble seeing. This is really awful for you, despite all you've seen and done. You take another deep breath, and try not to notice the heartbeat of the creature go still as you still hear and FEEL that little crunch.
N-next.
You do it as fast as possible. Can't think about it.
Seems to work.
The last one is easy, after that. Pick it up, wring the neck, drop it.
Leave.

You basically sprint out of the room, trying to get your emotions in check. They're just wild, dangerous animals. Cute or no, you shouldn't feel this BAD about it! This was your job, wasn't it? You've killed people, and that didn't seem to faze you nearly as much as it was killing all these babies.
Agh.
You feel disgusted with yourself, and frustrated at yourself for being suck a bleeding heart about those things. What are you ON about? Just don't think about it.
When you arrive back where you left the lamia, you find her playing with the undead cat.She's clearly having fun, though she stumbles and tries to hide that fact when you enter the room again.
Driderlady done?
Yeah. I'm done.
No reason to be sour about it, dear. That kind of necessary culling will happen a lot more as you grow in power.
You elect to ignore your inner voice. You're in a conversation, and that kind of talk is not something that should be tolerated, anyhow.
Home is safe, now... But what if dwarf send more?
What.
Dwarf send pigs here, yes? Saw them come in with dwarves. Not the same type as one that got killed, but dwarf none the less.
These things were planted here?
Nono. Pigmoles are birth-creatures. Not plants. Brought here, not planted.
I will hit you.
...Not Maya's fault driderlady not know how beasties work.
You rub your temples as you sigh. You are entirely not willing to deal with this crap.
Heyyy. You know who won't be missed by anybody? And, more specifically, won't be noticed if she suddenly acted differently?
What are you implying. You mumble to yourself, feeling some distinct disgust as the thought is already rather clear.
Our new power. We should take advantage of that, you know...
She's an albino. Not useful. You say. And it's true. She may call it a blessing, but its clear that she just can't handle light. The flashlight is based on sunstone tech, she's just generally susceptible to sunlight.
Well... You speak directly to the lamia again, who managed to get herself distracted with your cat again.
Hm?
Are you going to stay here? Because this basement is getting built by a rather special dwarf upstairs. Namely one that's going to PAY me for this, so I'd rather not have a loose end here.
But Maya CAN'T leave! What if den mother comes back!? She will be mad at Maya for not staying close to eggs.
Then move the eggs? It's probably easier than dealing with these dwarves.
...Maya can't. Not strong enough digger, not able to travel under sunstone. Need help...
...I don't suppose-
NOT driderlady! Driderlady nearly kill Maya, and didn't even stay to protect! What if Maya got killed!? Then who protect eggs? Can't trust.
You tried to kill me first!
Was threat to eggs.
... A tense pause follows.

Fine. How are we doing this?

And how could I gain your trust, then?
You understand, from mother to mother, why she can't leave. But she can't stay. There's got to be something you can do to convince her to leave.

Fine. Figure it out.
Your job was moles, not crazy snake-people. Tell the old lady upstairs how things stand and collect your payment.

Finish it up.
Remove the vermin, it's sure to bring in something nice.

Other.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

Jesus Christ, this story is still going? Wow.

I is a stubborn bastard, I is.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: April 30, 2018, 05:49:12 pm »

Welp, later!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: May 01, 2018, 02:30:45 am »

Figure it out.

"I can't."  "I can't."  "I'm not strong enough"  "I can't work under sunstone."

"You are the only one in charge of your children here.  The pigmen are dead and it'll be a while, probably a day or more, before more dwarves will return to here.  You have time to deal with this situation however you like.  You have the power to solve your problem, but it won't ever get solved if you start by saying that you can't do something.  Every day you sit here saying you can do nothing, you are doing yourself, and your children a disservice.  Sure, it might be hard, but you can solve this problem, and you can do so without someone doing it for you or telling you how to do it.  If you're going to just sit there and say that you can't, there's nothing I, or anyone else, can do to help you.  It has to begin with you first."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: May 01, 2018, 02:40:23 am »

All these good deeds do add up over time, and moving some eggs should be about the easiest thing we've done all week. It's clear that whoever attacked could have made off with the eggs if they were valuable, so we shouldn't even have the obligatory bandit battle... This lamia might end up being in charge of a whole community of them someday, and they are physically capable if nothing else. A friendship could be useful someday...

Between us killing the pigmoles that were eating the eggs, NOT killing her when she attacked us, and fixing her up after a pigmole, not us, the pigmole, almost killed her, she shouldn't be doubting our motives. If she didn't remind us of ourselves when we were just a baby beasty we'd be half inclined to just leave her to the dwarves. Does she have a lawyer? Does she even know what a contract is? What the dangerous end of a gun is? Does she know what "smoking them out" means? Unless we seriously misread the business upstairs we're the closest thing to a friend she is going to find, and we can scratch out a stone tablet she can leave for the den mother...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: May 01, 2018, 05:16:46 pm »

Fine, figure it out. Have fun down here.
What!?
You don't trust me, so I won't help. I'm not going to do you a favour so I can get PERMISSION to help you with something else. Who the hell do you think you are to ask that kind of thing!
B-but-
Don't "but" me. You had your shot, now it's gone. Have fun living with that... I'll try to give you a day to find a safer spot, but your eggs are officially your problem.
Oof, that was cold.
B-but... Can't driderlady... I... Please!
You're already walking out of here, as she slithers after you. Well, look who's needy.
L-let Maya make request! One small request!
You blew it already. Better get your stuff together, now.
Just one! If driderlady sees den mother, tell her that Maya wait at fluffing place! Please! Driderlady only one that might see den mother, and den mother won't be stuck long. She can't! Has to take care of eggs!
...If I just so happen to see this figure, in this massive underground world of mystery and murder, fine. But here's some advice from me to you.
You have reached the stairs, and you turn to her. You twist your human half a bit, not turning around completely.
If you want things to get better, you'll need to work on it yourself. So get busy.

You leave without another word, leaving the oddly dressed lamia behind. Your employer is waiting at the top of the stairs, light shining from behind her and leaving only her shape as visible. Dramatic...
It's done, the pigs are all dead.
Good. the dwarf says, with some clear satisfaction present.
You will get half your payment now, for a job well done. But now comes the second part.
You feel like shouting something about this sudden change, but decide against it. She cuts a strangely intimidating figure, with the light obscuring most of her features...
Is she sitting on a chair?
Did she bring a chair here to be dramatic?
The funeral for my employee is tomorrow. I promised I would eat of the vermin that took his life, and if I know the family they would like to eat that as well. I will have my people collect the corpses, but I distinctly remember your ad mentioning you cook, as well?
Yes, ma'am.
Please, honey, call me D-VA!
Yes, ms. D-VA You have to stop yourself from being visibly annoyed.
You will be cooking for around fifty men and women, using the pigs as you see fit. There will be a small team of cooks, but they are volunteers. You will lead this rabble, and from their unskilled hand I will see a masterpiece of succulent revenge, is that clear?
Uhhh...
Perfect. I'll see you tomorrow at nine AM, darling. This building, of course, no better place for a most beautiful send-off. And here is your money. Leave your minions there, if you mind? I want them dead-dead, not controlled by you.
She throws you a small stack of bills, tied together with some elastic bands. You catch it, if barely. You stumble with it for a while, and eventually have to "kick" it with your pedipalp to actually catch it properly. Well, the money's all here, 80 bucks. Decent bit of money for this level, actually. You also just agree with her, and cut the power to the pigs. The chunks of fat fall down flat, and the one that was climbing the chairs rolls down slowly. It was a test of nerves not to laugh at the sight of that ball of fat
The dwarf has already left, leaving her chair behind. She actually DID bring a chair to look more dramatic.
What the hell is this woman?

Try to stop that plan of cooking
You aren't prepared to play head chef! What the hell is this?

Prepare for cooking
You grew up in an inn. You've actually done this exact thing before, albeit with a more varied plate than "pigs". And your father helping you. And two close friends, along with the blacksmith and his son. You'll figure it out. But it's probably best to start planning ahead on what you're going to make with all the corpses.

Other

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: May 01, 2018, 05:28:48 pm »

...We're either going to have to get some vegetables or something to balance out the massive weight of pigfat, or just get creative with the bodies and use everything. Guess we should start by experimentally butchering one and seeing what its insides look like. And like, make sure there aren't any poisonous bits.

...Then again, it's dwarves. Maybe they'll actually like a potluck consisting of only piles and piles of bacon.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: May 01, 2018, 05:46:52 pm »

Well consult the recipe book. It's advice hasn't steered us wrong yet. We can also ask our staff if they know the clientelle's tastes or have worked with these materials before. Taste some of the meat too, a good cook knows their materials, test various style, grilled, roasted, stewed, scorched, rare... We know how to butcher? Right? Between working at the in, working with the hunters, and necromancy training... I guess "quite decent" will need to be enough, unless some butchers are included with the chefs...
 With all this fat, crackling would be an obvious, but it is difficult to get right. Maybe combine it with a salad?
 Soup is straight-forward and stretches a long way, and can be fancy with some extras like herbs, treated bread, garnish, whatever...
 Bread cheese and meat are a solid combination, but sandwiches are a bit homely. Maybe some sort of bread-twists?
 Not that it matters to us, but these things aren't transformed dwarves are they? And not poisonous? Double-check the cookbook's preparation instructions for any conspicuous "remove this" items that we want to make special efforts to get right. And we need to be certain that we understand it's naming conventions. Pigmole should be a real thing and not some sort of fleshwarping incident...
 A tender steak for everyone should be included, for that "I am eating my enemy" feeling. Maybe with some herbal sour cream and lettuce? Keep it simple though. Quantities on this would be small considering the required quality of the cuts and the number of people.
 Consider bringing Alexia in for this. She is the expert on feasting upon one's enemies. Just so long as she appreciates that culinary respect is still respect, and that cooking them is plenty of a display of dominance, not that they were worthy of being our opponents, and we missed the chance to listen to their screams... Well at least listen to her advice on a proper revenge feast...

P.S.
 Note that despite evidence to the contrary I'm not actually a fan of cooking episodes.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: May 01, 2018, 06:17:33 pm »

Just keep a secondary trash can for bones, we will keep the bones when it's over

Maybe a little show off? raise a pig make they walk to their butcher place in front of everyone and kill them again

I don't know anything that uses pig blood

if there is some blood to clean we should drink it with the pedilpalps while we clean the corpse, we are getting thirsty and maybe this will be enough to not need to use a blood vial
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: May 01, 2018, 06:25:05 pm »

We said we'd cook the creatures up, so we should do so.

Also, we'll likely need to drain the creatures of blood before cooking anyway, as part of the butchering process.  Should be good to satisfy our thirst.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 216