Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185816 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1800 on: April 08, 2018, 04:19:01 pm »

Lets just cut it off.  We can get another arm.  Yeah, we're resistant, and I'm not opposed to a claw hand, but right at this moment it's a liability.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: April 08, 2018, 04:44:39 pm »

Massive asymmetrical claw arm. That's like my favorite thing. We're like Manus now, you see.
...Cut that shit off. Can probably find something better.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: April 09, 2018, 04:17:54 pm »

C-cut it. You finally say, after being quiet for a long time.
Excuse me? The young doctor in the hazmat suit says. He's a human, surprisingly, though he has a fairly thick accent from somewhere. His common tongue seems to be pretty rusty.
Cut. It. off. Cut the arm off. You look right into his visor, and you find his eyes. Green. They stick out through the darkened glass.
...Amputation is an extreme procedure, miss. And you are a drider. By all accounts, this isn't-*GLCK*
You grab him with your claw, by the throat. You lift him easily, as he struggles in all direction. The surrounding doctors start to take action, but it will take a while.
CUT THIS THING OFF! GET IT THE FUCK OFF ME!
You feel a sudden shock, and you lose your grip on the scientist as you spasm. When the electricity stops coursing through you, you see one of the hazmat guys holding a cattle prod. You look at him with tears in your eyes.
P-please. Cut it off! You're nearly hyperventilating. You're too shrill to actually continue shouting.
P-please. Miss. Calm down!
You just look at him with an unfathomable expression.
Then you just do it yourself.

With a massive, impossibly fast bite, you tear into your mutated wrist. Your teeth are rather accustomed to raw flesh, like it or not, and you quickly draw blood. You hear them shout in alarm as you twist and tear the flesh apart, reaching bone in no time at all. The pain is unbearable, but you're not feeling it. The monster is. You're not feeling a thing. Not a damned thing.
It's not your blood, anyway.
It's not your bone. You tear away at the ligaments, barely able to see past your tears and darkening vision. The taste is impossible to describe, it keeps changing from copper to pork to some kind of umami flavour you can't even describe. One more than three quarters has been mangled, you take the hand and start pulling. Again, you get shocked with the prod. This time, the muscle spasm was all it took, and the hand goes flying as your stump starts bleeding profusely. You vomit blood as your legs give out from under you, the pain having turned impossible to deal with. The hand left a bloody smear where it was left, and you feel a strange sense of satisfaction as you lose consciousness.

When you wake up, you note that you are tied down and hooked up to an IV. You hear voices before your sight returns properly.
And I'm telling you that there is no other option than to leave it on. It nearly killed two guards before we let it on there!
Listen, this girl... I don't agree on how she got it, but it was out of her control. She still got me out of there, i can't just let her...
Sir. We're doing everything we can. But even if we managed to destroy that hand, she would have grown another one. It's not the first case of this we've seen, but it is the first where the original hand tries to get back with THAT much ferocity.
What do you mean this isn't the first fucking time!? This has been a pretty fucking extreme situation, as far as I know.
I'm from level 5, sir. We're past the hellpoint, there, we've seen some shit.
Izzit off? You slur. You understood it well enough, but maybe they're not talking about you.
...Ah. Please, remain calm. He says so with a distractingly serene tone, before you feel a prick in your arm. A sedative.
Is it off!? You say, deciding to discard his advice.
No. It can't be helped, but you're cursebound to such a hand. And I strongly suggest not cutting it off again, it... spread.
You look at your bare arm, the hospital gown has not sleeves, and allows you to look at your arm. The thick red flesh is a little further than before...
What have you done.

O-oh... ohhh gods. You feel dazed, and not just from the sedative. The captain is quick to hold your hand. The normal one, of course.
Hey, hey! Easy now, you're alright. It's nothing bad, alright? You pulled my ass out of the fire, no way something like this is going to screw you over now, alright?

Leave me alone.
No more talking. You need to come to terms with this yourself.

*Sob hysterically*
It's mentally healthy, if embarrassing.

This isn't happening. I'll wake up at any moment.
Denial.

Cut it off.
Act agressively. You're tied down, but who says this is going to keep?

Demand information
What. Is. This.

Other

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: April 09, 2018, 06:18:49 pm »

Well, it might be a curse, but driders are pretty resistant, and it has the disadvantage of not being natural. We still have our original, it might be possible to have our original hand supplant the cursed one. Or it could permanently destroy our lovely original hand, but if we can't reattach it anyway...

If we used graft, it should technically be dead, sort of... Maybe necromancy can mess with it? We could toy with that necromantic fire stuff and self-immolation... Wouldn't be the first time...

We still owe Alexia for that detox. We appear to be heavily restrained and surrounded by people who are in a position to feel that they know better than us how to deal with this and are not inclined to listen to the crazily-dangerous dangerously-crazy spider girl.

And, of course, we do need to ask about the little ones.

And scan that hand's soul!!! Maybe we can feed it's soul into the fires we use to burn it off...

But, uhh... Do ask for information. We really want this thing off, but ignorance is only bliss if it doesn't come back to bite you...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:41:15 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: April 09, 2018, 07:25:32 pm »

See? We've already improved it by trying to replace it! I fucking love this claw can we keep it can we keep it pleaaaase.
Name the new claw Priscilla, because some ideas are good enough to keep reusing.

Oh yeah, gonna go with crying here. With a side of asking for our children and demanding information in a nonspecific way.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: April 09, 2018, 09:14:10 pm »

all the stages, in a spam of half an hour

Denial
"This isn't happening"
Anger
"WHY THIS SHIT ALWAYS HAPPENS TO ME? WHY I AM DENIED A FUCKING NORMAL LIFE? I AM GOING TO FUCKING MAKE THAT ELDRITCH GESTATING GOD L-E-A-R-N WHAT DEATH IS"
Negotiation
"can we just put something over this? those weird metal stuff you got, maybe it can just hide this other scar"
Depression
Cry a lot, ask for the kids
Accept
"hmmm, sorry... are you better? You managed to resist a lot there, we all get a bit mad, so..."

Demand information

"what is this, what is hellpoint"
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: April 09, 2018, 10:25:24 pm »

I think that's obvious enough that we shouldn't need to ask. It's the point past which you've officially dug too deep and too greedily. But these are dwarves so they went ahead and set up camp there.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: April 09, 2018, 10:55:51 pm »

* RAM whistles in a vain attempt to appear innocuous.
Also of note, dear, you levelled up from that. A nap will prove quite useful.
you wake up
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: April 09, 2018, 11:01:51 pm »

Presumably we level up when we dream, and we just got sedated into unconsciousness; dreamless sleep.
or something idunno lol

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: April 10, 2018, 12:32:18 am »

Or we are holding off to see what sort of horrific limb mutation we should be offered...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: April 10, 2018, 05:15:34 pm »

So how is she dealing with it?
Pretty well, all things considered. I mean, after gnawing off your own hand there really isn't any way but up.
Hal hears Sydney roar in a rage, and something that sounds like a bed getting bouncing up and down. It's hard to tell through the tent, she might be complaining about how all this weird stuff keeps happening to her. Considering her age/weird shit ratio, she's probably right to do so.
...On a general note? I guess she's not taking it THAT well. Don't worry, though, we've got post-hellpoint doctors in there. If anybody's prepared to deal with weird things, it's them.
What's the hellpoint?
Ahhh, yes, topsiders. Well, essentially, that was the point in time that we discovered the first layer of hell, filled to the brim with demons and chaos magic.
...Aren't there nine levels?
It took a long damned time to fight our way through, but consider this: While it would have been a near-impossible battle with swords, guns do a lot better. Add to that the help from the elves, and they didn't stand a chance. The weapons you find here is about the stuff that we used back then.
But... There are advancements being made right here. Did nothing change?
Only a select few pass on. Going down a level takes a lot of capital, or you serving somebody that has a lot of money, anyways. We make our levels to counter overpopulation, and it's been working out pretty well.
How many dwarves are there?
We estimate that if you take all the levels together, we're about fifty times the population of topside. Of course, that sounds extreme, but most of our population is at the first level. The deeper you go, the less people.

Suddenly, people hear Sydney again, her voice shriller than usual. She's rambling about metal to cover something up. Wouldn't exactly help. Very shortly there-after, however, there is the now-familiar noise of the cattle prod being used and a few doctors yelling. She got loose again. They keep forgetting that she's way stronger than she looks.
Should we help?
There is NO getting away from the medical guard, trust me.
I'll just trust your judgement on that. Also, what'd you do with her little abominations?
The spiders? We assumed they were magical constructs. Considering the ownership laws, they're with the rest of her stuff in the holding area. Getting a thorough checking to prevent epidemics. Those spores might be harmless NOW, but there's no telling if they'll "activate" again. Chaos is a fickle thing.
Hal sniffs in acknowledgement, having little else to say. He is distracted by the rather inelegant blubbering coming from inside the tent.
Mh. Despression stage.
Hal and the captain jump back in surprise, the captain swearing as he does.
I know, I know. I'm quiet. Anyway, she's finishing up with the emotional turmoil, just about now. I've seen it happen.
You seen a lot of trauma victims?
I am the trauma.
I'm law enforcement. Care to make a statement, miss? the captain says, snidely.
Seems he doesn't take that kind of joke too well.
Yeah. "Joke." Sucy says, staring into the captain's eyes with her arms crossed. Two sides playing chicken, seeing who looks away first. After a tense showdown, backdropped by yet more crying and a demand for "her babies", the captain is the first to flinch, grumbling about how this is pointless.
Hm. As I thought. You going to be okay? Or do you need me to drug you again so you don't shoot anybody.
Hal puts his arm on Sucy's shoulder, and tells her to stop antagonizing people that could have her arrested. The captain lets it slide, surprisingly, though they clearly don't much care for eachother. Brothers and sisters in arms, Hal supposes. They can't get violent, they can't even start yelling...
The captain sniffs in disdain. My chambers, one hour.
See you there.
The captain nods his farewell, and starts writing things down on a notepad he kept in one of his pouches. Hal squints with one eye, head cocked, as he looked at Sucy and the Captain.

Are you two going to do what I suspect you're going to do?
Yes.
...I'll just look after Sydney, then.
Get her spiderlings here, that'll stop the damned crying.
Hal decides to ask the guard before doing that, of course. They permit it, though he wasn't exactly excited about getting what is essentially a wild animal. Those spiderlings probably don't trust him, and to be honest he's not too excited to get them ON him, too. He can handle a drider, but he's less excited about little legs scurrying all over him.
To his surprise, however, the spiderlings were happy to latch on to him. He did his best not to react too hard to the presence of the little things, but you could tell from the amount of sweat that he was merely very calm and orderly in his pure terror. When he arrived at Sydney's bed, she reacted very positively to the spiderlings, which leapt off him. Hal added his own comment: 'SFINE THANKYOU UWELCM BYE. he forced out before leaving and sitting down to take a few breaths nearby.

Sydney, in the meantime, has come to accept that this is how it is. She's playing with her kids as she does it, and accepts that she'll just have to deal with this. Honestly, it's not so bad, probably...
She notes that book is still with her. The Tome. She doesn't know where she even keeps it, but she knows she can just whip it out whenever...
Strange.

Level up!
Choose one normal perk and one Demonic perk
Enhance size: What it says on the tin, all-round bigger.
Enhanced plating: more plating around your human parts.
Biter: enhances both your teeth and jaw power.
Demonic Gluttony: Your claw gains a mouth on the palm. When the "lips" are closed, it just looks and acts like normal. the biting power of this thing is unmatched, and it allows for easy and quick eating.
Demonic Greed: Your claw has a relatively small orifice to shoot a grabbing tentacle out of. This is always visible by a small "plant" at the palm
Magical spikes: grow small spikes at the knees and elbows that conduct magic. A bit more flashy, allows for more maximum mana.
Vampiric drain: You gain access to a special draining spell that sucks out all blood, nutrients and mana from a victim. It takes quite a while, and leaves an impossible to resurrect corpse.
Poison magic: allows you to summon a poison liquid. Takes practice to become useful, and you are completely immune to poison you create.
Demonic Pride: Your hand has a small leech on the palm. Forcing it to enter a humanoid will rewrite their brain to serve you with all their might. It feels addictively good to serve you, once infected. Not even the strongest will can stop it for long.
Demonic Envy: The hand gains a suction cup, allowing it to literally steal faces. This leaves a blank face, and causes the victim to suffocate. Takes a while to perform, and the face remains on the palm for a while. You can let that face speak with the voice of the stolen enemy
Enhance size!: Your spiderlings become larger instantly. They're just a bit bigger in general.
Adulthood: Your spiderlings can now grow visibly older. After a month, they are fully grown, and about the size of medium-sized dog.
Webbing: Your spiderlings gain conscious access to webbing, and will use it in many situations.
Demonic Sloth: Your hand becomes heavier and gains three extra fingers. You can "activate" it to cover yourself in a tent made of flesh. It causes almost instant hibernation, and forces you to remain in "stasis" until woken up by an outside source. Remaining asleep for extreme periods will make things weird. Heals you rather quickly, though.
Enhanced sight: See invisible creatures at all times.
Mother's link: gain increased awareness of all your children. You can feel their status and location more easily.
Participation: You are now fully aware of what goes on during Alexia's trips. You can also talk, like she does.
Demonic Wrath: When you allow go berserk, the hand and arm grows to an extreme amount, becoming nearly impervious to damage and becoming very powerful. Shrivels up your other arm in the meantime. This effects ends without side-effects after you stop raging.
Demonic lust: The palm of your hand has a syringe that allows you to empower people with a touch. They become faster, damage resistant, stronger... but it's a VERY addictive and potent drug. They'll be dependant on you in no time...

Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: April 10, 2018, 08:36:54 pm »

Enhance Size.  It should help everything, while not forcing us to go with some change to our hideously mutated arm.  It's cool, but it isn't a gun.  This would help on offense, defense, magic, whatever.  I also want to be able to carry human-sized people, at long last.

I'll probably take Pride.  I'd probably reserve its use against those who are mindless or have lost their minds in other ways, as they've already been mentally killed, and as such, stopping them through brain rewrites isn't unethical.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 09:17:41 pm by Devastator »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: April 10, 2018, 08:41:20 pm »

I still hope to lose the limb, so the bolds don't appeal. Oh, wait, just noticed... will get to it later...
I would very much like participation in order to complete the set.
Mother's link would act as an emotional aid, and using spiderlings as trackers could be useful, but getting use out of it would risk spiderlings and it is somewhat redundant with undead...
Webbing sounds like loads of fun, if perhaps a bit low-powered.
Enhanced sight is that sort of low-level observation thing that is rarely going to be an issue, but could be massive every once-in-a-while...I mean, generally, the most dangerous enemy is the one that you don't know about. It could also get us access to secret organisations... but then again there are loads of ways to avoid being seen that don't involve explicit invisibility...
The blue options are all lovely. Poison is wonderful, provided spiderlings are immune too... undead should be resistant and any crowd control that doesn't affect the user is just amazing. Not to mention the satisfaction of getting our poison back. Still, some folk will just ignore it and it is dangerous to allies.
Vampiric is, well, no revives is scary, but there haven't been many revives anyway, and those that have it will mostly be evil overlords. Again some things will just be immune, and the casting time is a worry, but otherwise it sounds like a proper death-spell, which is grizzly, but sometimes something like that would have really helped.
Spikes look cool and our maximum mana is a sore point. This is basic, but quality.
Voting for size is tempting just to annoy Devastator... But seriously, it should have lots of "necessary secondary super-power" value. More/stronger webbing to hold us up, thicker armour to remain proportional, more efficient breathing to retain function(likely not as much as desired, as bigger means slower in most settings, but holding our breath for significantly longer seems plausible), Stronger, faster cross-country... And the first step shouldn't be large enough to give us "hit the weak point for massive damage" syndrome against anything larger than a gnome.

I am not interested in larger spiderlings at present, on account of them doing quite well with their "Shadow of the Colossus" gameplay... If we wanted dogs then we could get undead dogs...

Meh, fine, I'll tentatively throw my vote to Enhance Size(no exclamation).
Umm, could I throw two-thirds of a vote to Enhance Size and one third to Participation?

Gluttony sounds good for breaking weapons and such, but more eating abilities?
A tentacle is good, but we already have bolas and guns. the thing is probably prone to being cut too... It would be interesting to see what Alexia can do with it though.
Pride is all sorts of horrible, but not really any worse than killing folk, so... But really, it is a self-betrayal. What sort of prideful drider would Force people to serve? They will grant us their allegiance willingly when they witness our superiority!
Envy is another kill-spell, which is niceish, but will only work on things that need al of their faces. Envy could get really boring against a 12-headed hydra... The ventriloquism is... handy... but pretty situational as most security relies upon more than just a single voice-check...
Sloth is, well rapid heals is very good, and stasis is always curious, but it is also dangerous. We might, potentially, want to be involved in the next few centuries... On the other hand, we could use an instant on/off button for sleeping in order to control our level-ups. No more looking for a quiet place, just raise your hand and have someone knock a few seconds later...
Wrath sounds like the best combat option, but is a bit all-or-nothing. Sounds like it is terrible for using gear, shields, weapons... and our body is big, so an invulnerable arm won't save us from an archer volley... I think that this would stack well with Alexia, but only Alexia would use it...
Lust is a no. If we wanted mindless drones we'd start a cult. Addicts are terrible servants. You can never send them on long or complicated missions and there is always a risk they will turn on you and then you are tied up in a dungeon being milked for a year...

Voting Sloth

Devastater, we get two, one arm and one other.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: April 10, 2018, 09:20:42 pm »

I also kinda want more plating, but lets take size once and see where it ends up.  Size, being physical, is also something usable by Alexia, which should be useful in a true emergency.  Maybe one for size, and the next level for more armour, and then more exotic or magical abilities.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: April 10, 2018, 09:36:04 pm »

SIZE AND GLUTTONY

WE MANUS NOW FOOLS HAHAHAHAHA
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 216