Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185819 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1785 on: April 04, 2018, 06:05:03 pm »

Better to take stock at this point. Sydney is hanging on, but not by much. We may need a short rest.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: April 04, 2018, 07:39:27 pm »

Rest a bit, reload what you have to reload with what is left of the team fang

then, the portal
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: April 05, 2018, 04:06:05 pm »

I need a damned break, at this point.
...As much as I'd like to agree, we simply don't have the time or ability.
Is it because of the corvid nightmare in the same room as us, or just the general vibe?
I don't think team Shield is going to hold out much longer. Especially if those people that fled are causing a ruckus.
It's all up to us, now. Let's just try to find the portal and shut it down.
Fuck, alright. But I'm going to the hospital after this.
I'd drag you there myself if I you didn't, to be fair. There's a couple things that we really need to get looked at.
Oh just let him try...
Yeah, yeah. How about we do that when I'm not ready to fall asleep?
Fair enough. Where to?
Magic door.

You go forward, trying to shake off a growing headache. At the very least, it's one developed from exhaustion rather than anything unearthly. After making sure everybody's got their dridersilk on (the captain nearly didn't) you open the door with all the magic behind it. Sucy winces a bit as the door opens and the residual magic sort of "spills" through. Magic doesn't usually do this sort of thing, it should be said. Magic is all around the world, powering (or depowering) everything in some kind of way. If it fell away, the only creatures that could keep on living comfortably would be humans and orcs. Dwarves would rapidly start fading because their size turns into a massive disadvantage and their tech falls away, and magical creatures like you would just keel over and die on the spot. In essence, magic is like air. Everywhere you go, there's some of it.
Right now, that metaphorical air is in a metaphorical storm. Habitual magic users are more aware of that sort of thing, and so both you and Sucy currently feel like a storm is bashing itself against your very soul. You take a deep breath before continuing.
The magic "wind" takes a turn to the left as you keep going, though, and your conscious mind has to stop your unconscious mind from running into a wall. That should mean that this is actually a failed trap. Probably something that was going to turn into one of those really dangerous magical mazes, despite this being closer to a maintenance hallway. Perhaps that large creature was directing the magic flows?
The actual source of magic can't be far, though.

When you open the door, the magic storm begins to fade. You still have a constant, tingling feeling through you, though. The amount of magic being manipulated hasn't changed, but here it's just completely and utterly directionless. Eventually, you find the origin of all that magic. It's...
Kind of disturbing.
You see a human(oid) figure bent on its knees and elbows, with a massive fleshy growth coming out of the back. If you weren't paying attention, you wouldn't even have seen the bald thing's head poke out. The fleshy sack seems to "breathe" spores and magic...
Are we stabbing this thing or what?
...From a distance. Get your big bow, aim for the neck.
You got it, boss. He says as he takes his bow and nocks an arrow. He didn't bring many, but you're glad he brought one. With a quiet *thwip*, the arrow flies and pierces the creature's skull. It doesn't even scream as the fleshy sack collapses into a spray of blood and magic. Pure magic.

Don't.
Touch.

The walls sprout into pieces of candy and flowers as the wisp of magic floats against it and dissipates. You feel the whole place groan and shake for a few seconds, and then a collective shriek.
You closed the portal, leaving only the creatures.
You quickly load your revolver with a resigned expression. Yunikki sharpens her talons using her talons, sliding them together. You feel an unfamiliar sort of dread as you look at her. You suspect there is something affecting you just from being near her, which probably makes sense.

You have finished off the portal. Now how are you going to deal with the after-effects?

Retreat back outside.
Your job is done. Just retreat out of here.

Flank them.
You have access to a sideroute. You may not be able to take a lot more hits, but you have a birdy that can.

Go to team shield.
You're not out of here, but you're not doing this without further backup. Of course, if they're as decimated as you fear it'll put you in a bad position...

Other.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Party

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:52:02 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: April 05, 2018, 04:16:44 pm »

Caw caw mother-fucker! Let's rock!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: April 05, 2018, 07:41:18 pm »

Flank them.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: April 05, 2018, 10:56:32 pm »

If yukinni wasn't turned I would prefer team shield or leave, but right now it can put us in a bad position

Can we chop some kind of body and make it count as an "average beast" or "small vermin?" hands/half bodies whatever just sing a bit of our mana into it and make it take the hits, the mana will return anyway so fuck it

If we see a large undead using any kind of weapon we can try to use our "control undead" to make it miss, probably it's already hard to deal damage to the right person

(we should start training our necromantic fire while outside combat, we need to master it so we can use on enemies)
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: April 06, 2018, 12:04:54 am »

Want team shield, nice cannon and they could use the backup, but too many explanations... Fine, let's flank'em, but top ourselves up with some suck-breath and then just keep raising zombies to hold the flanks. Nobody living gets surrounded! And avoid backing Yunikki up with anyone who bleeds, unless it is desperate, like she looks about ready to run into the middle of a horde or something and needs a hand on her shoulder to remind her that carnage, like all things, should be enjoyed in moderation...

Get the kids to watch your back and indicate new threats, they are ill-suited for a melee.

Remember reserves and formations. If someone is failing they should pull back for a breather and potion and let others hold the line. Also don't be afraid to cut our losses and throw up a fire-break, if we can. Should be something flammable somewhere...

The most human-looking people get a white-flag and are on diplomatic duty if we meet Shield. The Captain is reminded that we are not trying to kill anyone right now, andthe monsters are, and Shield can ill afford to pick a fight with us while the monsters are loose. He can complain all he likes "later". For now, we are, at worst, allies of convenience.

Consider throwing the book at them. It is a terrible tome of terror, it ought to be able to put up a fight...

Arrange a code-word for getting out of the way in case someone wants to use a potion or shotgun or something from the back-row.

We work on the assumption that Shield wins. We hit them hard at first, because that is how flanking works, but after they put up resistance we turtle-up and play for attrition. We are here to maintain a second front, not to win this alone. We can use smoke to cover a partial withdrawal back to a more defensive position and we don't break formation just because the flanking starts out well.

Don't forget to burn souls for extra mana!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: April 06, 2018, 12:13:50 am »

Yeah, we don't need to kill all of them.  Coming up from behind we should be able to kill a mage or two, maybe some of their support units.  After that they should get ground down easily enough, so there's no need to push all the way through.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: April 07, 2018, 03:54:31 pm »

You take a deep breath as you get yourself ready to charge the massive amount of minions. The good news is that most of them are really just about worthless in a fight, so your group of trained/ruthless killers shouldn't have too much issue fighting their way through. Especially if you turn your strikes surgical. Not to mention, your current state of being injured can be dealt with using some well-placed clouds. Magic is pretty great, innit? Easy fix for nearly everything.
You shouldercharge the door open, and breathe out a massive amount of lifedraining smoke. The creatures, though far less in number than when you were soulsighting them, are so plentiful and in a contant stream that you feel your injuries melt away. Mostly, anyway. The pain isn't leaving, and the rush of being Alexia is wearing off. You're not well, but you're not that bad off. Of course, usually such a move would mean you get torn to shreds by a collection of zombies and pigmen, but you have a trick up your sleeve!
It screeches an unearthly sound as it rushes forward and tears into the horde. The only thing that can take a real attack is the pigmen, and they're fairly rare! You do note that the mushrooms have advanced far more than the ones you saw before.
Anyhow, whatever might trouble Yunikki's monstrous form is shot down by the captain or Hal. Sucy, meanwhile, does her best to guide the hordes in the right direction. One thing to note about these mushrooms is that they're quite flammable. She's not so much redirecting the things as much as she's actually taking down small hordes with a single firebottle. It's kind of surprising her, as well, but not enough to stop her from throwing the things.
Where the hell were those bottles when you were fighting the big flammable demon thing?

You're a bit too distracted to ask the question, though. You are dodging both Yunikki's claws and pigmen cleavers. You don't entirely succeed, but you keep blasting those clouds to keep yourself going. During the quiet moments, you try to burn some of the souls. To your dismay, you find that most of the zombies don't even HAVE souls! They're undead, after all! The pigmen are the only ones of use, and they hardly give more than about two measly points of mana! Too much muscle and twisting to get much use out of it. You'd scream in frustration if you weren't currently stuck in a gasmask. It's starting to get more than a little hot, and you note that it's actually getting quite damaged. You wonder how you ate that heart with this thing on...
Was that even real?
Before those thoughts can distract you, a zombie leaps on your back and starts clawing at your head. You reach behind you and rake him open in your attempt at ripping him away from you. You find that you get a little bit more feeling in that dead piece of robotics than is normal. Of course, as stated twice before, you're in battle.
Kind of busy.
Eventually, though, the hordes start to die down. You figure, without the portal or the control granted by that demon, the hordes will be easier to deal with. Hal and the captain can deal with the stragglers that come out of the shadows as you head down the tunnel. Eventually, though, you hear gunshots. They're... not as frequent as you'd like.

You see team shield up ahead by their muzzle flashes, and you can tell things have gone pretty bad. There is an honest to god mountain of corpses here. Considering you finished off quite a horde, using your new corvid abomination, they should be finishing off the last few bits. You hear a hoarse shout from the commander.
That's the last of them, for now! Restock, reload! Get the injured out of here! NO, We are NOT retreating! Team Fang is still out there!
What's left of it.
We can't show up with Yunikki like that.
Don't suppose you can turn off the beast thing, right?
With a sudden hideous noise, her bones and organs "reset" themselves into the shape of the woman you know.
She promptly faints.
What.

...Alright, put her on my back. Sucy? Do you think the captain's able to speak for us?
Nope.
We're covered head to toe in zombie guts. I don't think we're going to appear all that safe, I think.
...I have an idea.
Before you can ask what it is, she performs it. She throws flashpowder up in the air, causing the commander to shout.
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT! IDENTIFY YOURSELF OR YOU WILL BE SHOT!
Nice one...
Less sass, more talk.
IT'S TEAM FANG! WHAT'S LEFT OF IT! DON'T SHOOT, ALRIGHT!
NO GOD-DAMNED DICE! YOU COME OUT, ONE AT A FUCKING TIME!
Something bad happened to this fella. Hal says, shrugging.
...Who's going first?

Well, who is?

Basic Stats

Party

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: April 07, 2018, 05:03:57 pm »

Well yunikki isn't capable. Winters can't be trusted. We might have a slightly inhuman profile in poor visibility. Hal might detect wrong if they have some sort of fancy magic senses. And Sucy is a squishy mortal... No good choices really. It is tempting to send Winters. He ought to be somewhat familiar to them and can be confirmed as Team Fang. We could send one of the kids out to spy. The monsters all look quite large and misshapen, a sweet petite little spider should be beneath their notice and too proper to be a target, but if it isn't...
Or the safe option. Scrounge up mana from wherever. Try extending our soul collection range, there must be some around, or see if Sucy has a potion for it, or just rest and hope nothing forces the situation... Then send out a zombie. We are all quite a mess, so if the zombie behaves well, slowly walks to the side and sits down or something... it should fare about as well as we would. We can yell that we look quite the mess and the zombie being exploded was a discouraging blow to our confidence in such matters.

Or we just go out in person, protagonist prerogative or something, probably ends with use shooting the pigman that sneaked up upon the commanders and getting a medal or something...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: April 07, 2018, 06:23:31 pm »

Send our CAT ZOMBIE ahead to scout first, then we know if it's secure

when we go we just say "I'M GOING FIRST, JUST REMEMBER THAT I AM A DRIDER AND I AM DIRTY AS FUCK"
Novice english wordsmith

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: April 07, 2018, 09:52:22 pm »

AND CARRYING AN UNCONSCIOUS FRIEND AND SLIGHTLY MUTATED AND CORRUPTED AND WITH A NASTY LOOKING METAL CLAW FOR A HAND AND..."

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: April 08, 2018, 03:05:14 pm »

I'M SENDING OUT MY FAMILIAR, FIRST. DON'T SHOOT THE CAT, IT'S COMING OUT!
You send Tom out, who seems less than excited at the prospect. He can't deny a request, of course, but he is still a cat. He's damned haughty about the whole thing. In the meantime, you keep a closer look at what remains of Team Shield. Tom's eyes are more adjusted to the dark, and you can see them a little more clearly. They were reduced to barely half their total manpower, and those that remain are covered in gore of all types. The commander himself looks damned tired, though not tired enough to not point at the cat and tell his men to keep their weapons trained on it.
CAT CONFIRMED! He yells. His megaphone seems to have been unaffected by the carnage, what joy...
NOW THE NEXT ONE! IS THIS THE DRIDER!?
AYE! DON'T SHOOT, I LOOK LIKE CRAP! you yell. Without the benefit of the megaphone, you have to exercise those throat muscles quite a bit more. You step out of the shadows, hands up, and see the twitchy looks of the shield-bearing survivors. Many of them are without masks, you note, some torn off in the struggle, others taken off a bit more cleanly. You just take off the one you're wearing as well, the mushroom stuff isn't around any more. Maybe because the air isn't as stale, you are much closer to the entrance.
What the fuck is wrong with her hand!? You hear one of them yell.
GET THE HELL BACK! DROP THE GIRL AND KEEP TO THE FUCKING WALL OR YOU WILL BE SHOT!
What!?

What's wrong!?
YOUR HAND IS CONTAMINATED. WE CAN NOT TAKE ANY RISKS. BRING OUT THE OTHERS, YOU'RE GOING INTO QUARANTINE!
Wha- you catch sight of your modified arm. It USED to be a lot more... metal. Your hand is completely covered in angry-looking reddened flesh, like an infection. It's... bigger. To say the least. Nearly twice the size of your other hand. The fingers look more like incredibly sharp bony protrusions, no joints are visible but it stretches in a more agile and even more comfortable way thn your normal fingers. You could tear something to pieces with this thing, and it feels much tougher.
If it wasn't for the origin, this would be advantageous. As it stands, however...
I'm coming out next! Name's Hal! Ranger!
Take the girl with you! AND DRIDER! DROP THE GIRL!
You do so, with your normal hand, of course. You feel dazed at this development, and just walk to wall. You basically walk into it, too distracted by your new hand. Your arm looks normal, but the veins and muscle of your wrists looks so unnatural...
Sydney! I'm taking Yunikki forward, when you get out we'll talk, alright!?
You just nod and make some sort of gutteral noise that could be taken as an affermative grunt, on a good day. Right now it just sounds like a grunt.
I'm going next!
REPEAT THAT! REPEAT OR YOU WILL BE SHOT!
Oh, for... She says something to the drugged captain, who then shouts at the top of his lungs he is coming along with an alchemist. She can't be bothered to shout, apparently.
You laugh. It's hysterical.
Hahaha...
You hadn't noticed that you were scratching at the flesh of your infected hand. It's bleeding, red blood. As it should be.
Still your blood.

Right! PEOPLE! WE'RE OFFICIALLY RETREATING. DRIDER, FOLLOW US AT A DISTANCE, QUARANTENING WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU WHEN WE GET OUT.
You follow, basically in auto-pilot. You hardly react when people in hazmat suits take you into a sterile tent. You see a few zombies, some of them very recently turned and tied down. THey quickle start running a few tests on you...

Comply.
Just... Do what they want. It doesn't matter anymore.

Cut it off...
Try to convince them to cut the blighted thing off. Get it OFF.

Get out of here.
You can't stay here. Not with these other chaos-afflicted, it'll... do stuff. You don't know. You can't be here.

Other.

Basic Stats

Party

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weeb of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1798 on: April 08, 2018, 03:41:19 pm »

It was temporary anyway, and we don't want any of the cult's leavings. Get rid of it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:37:26 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: April 08, 2018, 03:47:43 pm »

Give them their info that driders are magically resistant to chaos magic(quarantine isn't useful), if they want to test the diferences inflicted to the body we knew of a rumor of a drider slaver stuff on floor two, and give them info that she thinks they somehow are cloning her with magic for this stupid slave market, there you can find a untouched body to see how different, and you would be glad to help

ask they what they are finding out from this and if they think it's going to get uglier

ask what are their plans

-------------
I noticed that the claw was different, but didn't imagined that it was THAT bad, it will take a lot of trouble to hide it

how much they would pay to keep doing tests on this?

what would be better? a huge arm from satan that will draw too much attention or an cyborg weapon that drains our mana?
Novice english wordsmith
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 216