Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185892 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1500 on: February 02, 2018, 07:06:34 pm »

(Surgery is probably best for the eye, anyway.  Don't want to have implants that might need to be fixed when we're on the opposite side of the planet from anyone who knows how to do it.)

We should probably replace our familiars, first thing.  One should be something small that can carry something and fly, and the other should be bigger and more for fighting.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:31:22 pm by Devastator »

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: February 02, 2018, 08:44:09 pm »

We can't go bigger than a dog, but yes, a small flying zombie mouse for scouting and a bigger one to watch our backs

Say that we need to do our bit of necromancy first to have an extra pair of eyes helping the scout, and then we are gonna scout better and draw a proper map, if The orc needs we can help to get a ride to a rooftop nearby while we scout and he can do his thing there

Ask if they know anywhere we can find a fuckton of bones that nobody will care

Damn we should brought the others, how they will see if we bring fresh muscles that weren't on the deal? Or should we just ask sucy to give us some healing stuff to carry or something that can hurt people when thrown?

They will probably want to follow us anyway (or at least yukinni will) so we maybe have to warn it to our "shadowfriends". if they worry about payment we say that we can just give our part to our friends
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: February 02, 2018, 08:47:45 pm »

A metaphorical pigeon, eh?

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: February 02, 2018, 08:55:03 pm »

A metaphorical pigeon, eh?

flying mouses and pigeons, okay, same thing  :D but with little arms and claws so they can use some complex stuff and not just fly
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: February 02, 2018, 10:58:49 pm »

This seems like the majority of our data collection.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Armed guards, random thugs roaming the streets, possibly wary of a drider though, unless the guy didn't want to tell the tale or nobody believes the story of the giant spider lady("attacked by a giant spider" is less embarrassing that "picked a fight with a girl who fought back"...). Driders are rare enough around here that they might be fictional to the less educated, even a few people outside didn't know what we were... There is no proof that we were after them, just that we were in the neighbourhood and don't feel like paying taxes, but their "brain" sounds like the type to be wary of new faces.

We can't go bigger than a dog, but yes, a small flying zombie mouse for scouting and a bigger one to watch our backs
Some dogs are properly huge, bigger than humans even, so that can be a bit of a vague size estimate, but let's assume a decent-sized sheep-dog or similar. There is a big question about whether we focus on one weapon or diversify. We could focus everything onto its mouth or give it gripping hook-claws at the front and slicing claws at the back and a tail-club and some back-spines... Even if it is just a mouth there are options, enlarging the mouth and reinforcing everything, maybe even shortening the teeth to make them more reliable, and adding some extra structures(These dwarves must have some great mechanical vices!) for more bite-force are obvious, but teeth are a wealth of options. Taking out the front teeth and adding serrations gives you a slicing ramp, good for reliable damage quickly. Scissor teeth give you rapid and brutal chunk removal, but are prone to failure against armour. Back-curving teeth give you gripping power, maybe throw in some double-facing claws and a prehensile tail to add grip when reversing and you have a good assistant that is prone to getting stuck. Maybe we could stick an alligator skull on a monkey, unless familiars need to be consistent parts. They may need to be skeletons too, we only have the one familiar to reference...

There is that guy we want to interrogate, some bolas would be good, maybe even the punny undead ones...

If they have some sort of bullet-resistant chest-piece then such would be comforting, unless it is too heavy to climb in...

If Sucy wants a cut but isn't in the mood to join us then she could consider selling things to the group. That way the mercenaries can't really complain, they just bought some exotic out-of-town mixtures that we swear by and we don't entirely pay her out of our own pocket for providing support that the others likely won't respect.

We can likely climb one of their own buildings without raising the alarm. Not the main one, but something close enough to provide oversight that they wouldn't expect to be hostile. We could throw down some rope for the sniper and witchhunter and then barricade the entrances to a floor from which they can provide support and information while protecting each other and being able to get away via abseil.

We can get moreundead than just our familiars. Leaves us shy on mana, but a plague(well, 22, tops, and that would drain all our mana, but we might get that back as they die off...) of rats can really spook an untrained squad, and it gets bonus points for irony.

These people seem to like ranged combat, and rely on limited ammunition. Smoke and such is our friend. Saving mana would be nice so we should keep an eye open for mundane smoke sources... And we are advised against incendiaries so that is a thing to keep in mind with smokebombs.

Yunikki will want to come keep us safe. She should get back into the habit of wearing armour. Cutting a proper helm in half and putting a hinge at the top and a couple of loose clips at the side should give her something that covers but won't get in the way if she transforms. Same deal with some metal plates strapped over her with something that'll break or release if we have a giant chicken incident. On that note, Both us and Yunikki are... "excitable"... and Eveline isn't around to sneak up on people with sleep needles. see if we can hook the witchhunter up with some sedative arrows and bolts for emergencies, but talking would be preferable if it seems practical.

Oh, and bring a very robust travel-lantern, we ought to train our soul-capturing if we get a chance and the extra mana wouldn't hurt. Not to mention that soul abuse is not the worst approach to "enhanced interrogation"... "this guy I like!" *stab* *dying cry* "This guy I don't like" *inject spiderling venom* *screaming* *Rip out fresh-and-flailing soul and shove it into a lamp* *intense but brief screaming* *watch lamp visibly dim as we drain it to raise a zombie* "I like people who answer my questions! Or I could bring out Alexia, but she worries me... She wants to know if she can turn people into mentally-crippled spider-hybrids by scaring them to death..."
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: February 02, 2018, 11:41:13 pm »

The bigger one should obviously be some kind of cat, because they eat rats and spiders.  And we can give it hollow fangs, so it can bite for venom.  Then we can do the assasination by having someone load up our cat and sneak it into the target.  Some cyanide should get things done.  I do think we should have a backup plan if that fails, though, because one of the basic rules of shadowrunning is things never go according to plan.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: February 03, 2018, 11:48:19 am »

hmm, we don't have THAT much time right now for a super modification of our familiars, but of course we can begin to intensify our little beasts to a whole new level when we get time

percussion legs? yes, hollow theeth where we can inject venom (or our eggsacks for them to inject later?) yes, a nice tail that can grab things? strong jaws and claws? yes yes yes

but now we maybe will only get some pidgeon/rodent/chicken bones to start working
Novice english wordsmith

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 03, 2018, 03:34:13 pm »

At this point we are looking at something domestic, and outside of D&D you don't here of many terrifying domestic cats. Unless... Shadowrun has its own flavour of scary, we could run a metal-detector over a pet cemetery...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 03, 2018, 05:05:50 pm »

So, I'm thinking I'll introduce some more muscle for this. It was more than just me and my companion here, after all.
Right, but you're splitting YOUR cut between them. I'm not paying for unwanted help.
I think I preferred it when you didn't talk so much.
Agreed. But I agree on spending money, however. I'm not hiring any more mercenaries with my payroll.
Fine, fine. I'll take care of that. We're still going to get them, though.
To nobodies surprise, Sucy and Yunikki were very willing to join up. The addition of an alchemist also really convinced the other shadowrunners that they will be assets. Alchemists are fairly rare in the underground, despite their effectiveness. Most people just use the drug stores. You're a fairly unique group, at this point. However, there is one caveat. Sucy will not work for free. She'll see about her cut after everything is said and done, but she just doesn't do this kind of work for free out of principle. She's also happy to hear that her mixtures might just sell rather well here, and gets along with the small orc really fast. Both are very interested in money and very disinterested in the wellbeing of others.

Well, that's about as far as you planned, for now. You're still debating amongst yourself on what, exactly, you new familiar(s) will be. You and Yunikki are currently the only melee options between them all, although Sucy is relatively close-ranged. You should scout it out, and think of HOW you're going to scout, too. The rooftops seemed safe, sure, but if this Julius guy is as wary as they say he is, you might not be able to stick around long enough to draw a map. Looking around in the neighbourhood is sure to get you noticed.
Of course, infiltration is almost certainly a possible tactic. Especially if you show off your necromancy skills. There's not a gang on earth that doesn't want free zombies.

Basic Stats

Party members

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: February 03, 2018, 07:30:54 pm »

Who else found tempting the infiltration? Join a gang in the pretext of being free of the "taxes" or freeing a bit some friends from the loan, grab info, smash them later

Maybe we can try to scout the sewers first and see where it goes where (plus, many rodents to kill and get necro material) if someone finds us we can say that we are grabbing dead corpses for necromancy

then we do a second map of the rooftops at a distance (at least make a less detailed map, just the roads and then we can grab more precise info)

hey, orc, how close you need to be to help us map stuff with your tech stuff? (We don't know what a camera is, but he might get us better info)
Novice english wordsmith

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: February 03, 2018, 09:21:16 pm »

Infiltration is tempting, but maybe not with his gang.

We could infiltrate a rival gang, and give them some zombies as backup.  And then get that gang to harass the target's moneymakers, and basically call him out.

Then, the target will leave his base, load up for bear, and go fight it out with the other gang.  We can direct the zombies by familiar, and either the target will win or lose.  In either case, at some point he'll head back home, and likely some of his soldiers will be wounded or dead, and they might be low on ammo or otherwise beat up.  On the way back, we have the ranged assassins ambush him.  This might kill the target, and at the very least will further weaken him.  Then if and when he gets back to his base, we blow a wall or a roof with explosives, and rush with our melee characters.

For observation we can do the interior with a flying familiar carrying a zombie cockroach or something, and just drop off the roach.  We can also examine for any sewer entrances with a zombie rat or two.  That should cover for the roof and the underground areas, and hopefully at least some of the interor.

Surface level observation for that plan needs to find entry and exit routes, as well as all the doors and the most likely travel routes to set up the ambush on.  Most observation can be done from long range, or with telescopes through windows and such.  We can always put people on rooftops to get an idea of what they can bring to bear, as well as any other entrances.  We can also then drop off more roaches if there's any other entrances that are good.

Someone who isn't us should find the other gang for this plan to work, but it should be doable.  We might need to leave one of us with the gang for the gang fight, but that should be okay.  We'll also need to leave our fighting familiar to manage the zombies.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:24:59 pm by Devastator »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 03, 2018, 10:43:04 pm »

They have been very aggressive. As far as rival gangs are concerned, the qualifications for us joining them and then starting something with our target are very similar to the qualifications for them to have already been destroyed, evicted, or absorbed. We would likely have to go to a somewhat distant gang and convince them to intrude upon our target's territory. This would be difficult given our target's reputation. It would also take quite a lot of time, not only insinuating ourselves but also influencing policy. There is also a legitimate issue with not wanting to be involved with any gang that is going to survive. We are unlikely to be besties after goading them into a fight and then leaving and a reputation can travel...

I would probably tend to just set up a sniper nest at night and then send a team through the sewers to hit them as they are waking up, with undead vermin to secure the sewer access as we emerge.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: February 03, 2018, 11:14:16 pm »

We could also Be the rival gang.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 05, 2018, 02:55:55 pm »

Well, there's a few options if you want to incite a gang war. Of course, I doubt our friendly home association would be excited about that kind of extra trouble.
It weakens both of them. If they complain, they can pay us extra for extermination.
The weakening's a good point. Thanks, Sucy. Well, with that little qualm out of the way, we've got the choice between the Ronin, the Hanzers, the Bears and Slaaneshi cultists. Considering there are more topsiders here than citizens, let me give you the rundown. The Ronin are people from the east. The tunnels reach far, and under the ocean. I think your chained girl over there would recognize most. They're fiercely protective of their culture. Samurai armor, modernised of course, and a penchant for katanas. Fairly deadly up close, but that's where it ends. Their gear is hopelessly outmatched at any other range. They still use muskets, of all things.
They have numbers, however. They are nearly twice the size of the Saints, but have only a quarter of their territory.
Seems weird that they'd only keep claim on one block if the Saints are so powerful.
It's their seat of power in THIS city. They're more spread out than that. Not to mention their spread throughout the city in general, and the fact that they've become enough of a hassle for the police to just let them stay there. But, regardless, let's move on to the next gang.
The Hanzers. I know them.
I know that, Kai, but I'd prefer to keep bias out of this. They're a gang of junkies, essentially, modding themselves with all manner of cybernetics and the like. Just think of magical limbs, for comparison. They go for the cheap high of being a little more powerful, and they tend to use unofficial doctors and gen-1 augmentations. Powerful cybernetics, sure, but the body rejects it. So they need a constant supply of a drug to counteract that very same rejection. Of course, it doesn't help that injecting the stuff is similar to snorting cocaine.
Cocaine? That's rare stuff.
Not down here. I can get you some, if you promise not to snort it yourself. I've seen way too many people junk themselves to let you do it.
I'd rather get the leaves from the plant, to be honest.
I'll get you a guy. Anyway. In short, Hanzers are junkies with some serious power of all sorts. Dangerous and unpredictable. Doesn't help they love "sharing the joy" with their shitty enhancements.
I know from experience... The man exhales slow and loud, clearly repressing some rage. His arm looks expensive, though.
We found you a replacement that doesn't try to make your body eat itself, stop whinging.
The black man snorts in disdain.

Right.The bears are up next. They're... an odd bunch. Some kind of gay bar got demolished, and that somehow led to a violent gang forming. From what I can tell, being homosexual isn't a requirement any more. Not since twenty years ago, at least. They're about as basic as you get with a gang, only gimmick they have is flashy clothing and juicing bodybuilders. They love themselves some guns, but they prefer intimidation over actual violence. Like the name suggests, they're slow to wake for any kind of real violence. Still, you're not going to get killed if something goes wrong.
They sound almost decent. You say, shrugging your shoulders.
"Almost" being the key word here. Says Hal. He's restringing his crossbow as you all work together to plan. He likes keeping busy.
Well, that just leaves us with... Who did I leave out?
The... Slaaneshi. If you REALLY want to go there.
Didn't you call them a cult?
Quite. They're a pain and sex cult. They think any kind of excess brings them closer to their God. Pain, pleasure, sadism... If you think Hanzers are unpredictable, just watch these guys. You never know what comes next, and the fuckers love spreading diseases. Their leaders have this weird rash on their faces, in the shape of a cross. They are...
They're hardly human. But they keep the other degenerates in line. They spend most of their time extorting, hurting and killing people to buy more drugs. Assuming they haven't decided that their current favourite drug is hurting other people. The original Saints were called as such because they actually removed the Slaaneshi cultists with extreme amounts of violence. Of course, after that they turned into a bigger problem. With the Slaaneshi, you just had to close your doors and they'd give up. The Saints have the presence of mind to bring a sledgehammer. I can't tell you what the Slaaneshi are up to right now, there's just no reports on it. None of them are fucking sentient enough to even use a computer, I bet. But one thing's certain, if you give them a target, they'll descend on it like a pack of wild dogs. We'll just have to clean up the aftermath very carefully. I guarantee you, people will NOT like us replacing the problem with Slaaneshi cultists, of all things.

Where did they get the name from, anyway?
Old tabletop game that didn't sell. Apparently the originals though they were onto something when they read that rulebook
Well, we've still got some scouting to do. What can you do while I get my new scouts?
I'll map out the block, look for alleyways or open points. People know me around there, I'll be fine.

Well, you get to work on getting an official companion. There are very few birds around in the underground, but there are a lot more bats. Those things are mostly on par with the average sparrow in size, although their wingspan is a LOT larger than the average bird. According to Kai, there are some really large bats available, too. Fruit Moles, they're called. They're a bit hard to get to, but very valuable as pets. It would take a small excursion out of town to catch one, but if it doesn't need to be alive Kai can probably blast a few bats down for you.
You've got another companion to think of, as well. Maybe you should find the biggest baddest dog you can find and...
Ok no.
You can't kill dogs, man. You don't DO that. You'll go to a vet and ask if there's some kind of old dog they had to put down recently. Although you could look into a cat, instead. No lack of dead alley cats in the streets, considering most cats are fairly homogeneous in size, at least in comparison to dogs.
Of course, this all spends time.

Go to a gang of your choosing and convince them to help you.
You'll be straight up asking. Be prepared to do what you must to convince them to help you.

Infiltrate a gang of your choosing.
Maybe infiltration will do the trick. Convince the gang that the idea came from them, and they'll charge down the saints without issue. You'll need to integrate, however, and that gives its own troubles...

Gather your new companions.
You would like some new pets. All manner of options, really...

Other

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

There is hardly a limit on the size of the dog, as long as they are still a dog. I'll point it out when they're a little larger than they should. No companioning a bear, for instance, but you can get a big bad doggo. Birds are also fairly rare in the dwarven underground, but not impossible to find. You can find the occasional pigeon, and seagulls are here too.
Somehow.
You can't get rid of the bastards.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: February 05, 2018, 09:30:17 pm »

Gather Companions

They're useful for surveillance, which should start as soon as we can, and we need to be present to make familiars.  One of the other runners might handle the gang infiltration work, but we're the only one who can make familiars.

I think we should get a cat and a bird.  The bat would be better indoors, but a bird will be better when we're out of town, and we can probably alter both of them to suit us better now, like strengthening the cat and giving it fangs for poison.  I'm not opposed to a bat if someone suggests otherwise, but as the flying familar is just to drop off roaches and manage zombies, it doesn't need to actually be good at fighting.

Also, we need creatures that aren't particularly noticeable.  Everyone knows cats wander about on their own all over the place, so nobody will notice another one.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:19:35 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 216