Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 186005 times)

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1200 on: November 28, 2017, 05:49:06 pm »

About name
lilith was okay

But Dentera sounded nicer (and searching for meaning i just found some spanish words that translated to shiver, grit your teeth, make your teeth hurt)

IF we ever get so fucked up we get a third personality based on eldritch shit and the void, her name will be Canberra (void between a woman's breast) holy fuck look at this meaning I have to create a witch with this name

I am just certain that the queen will begin to change her name everytime like the flame, or that she will choose something like Dentera to be her dynastic name.

We could ponder the possibility about this "webbing undead spider" and the "fire ejector spider" (where we could make little orange flames to be thrown from where the poison gland were) so we could combine them in the last battle

WHILE

We are going to pick up the kobolt and the rest

Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: November 28, 2017, 09:07:57 pm »

Oh, and, umm, do the alchemists know any fire-suppressant tricks?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: November 29, 2017, 04:46:42 pm »

Update delayed due to pressing work.
If nothing else, it will have something interesting in it.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: November 29, 2017, 09:18:40 pm »

Why I got scared?
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: November 30, 2017, 10:24:34 am »

I've got another idea, but it'll take a lot of doing. You say. You see a multitude of raised eyebrows, your somewhat harebrained schemes from the spider cave left a bit of a bad impression.
I think a lot of doing lost its meaning after a while, considering the narrative likes leaping to more interesting parts. Yunikki snarks. There is a general rolling of the eyeballs, and Sucy adds a nearly silent: "Hypocrite."
Anyway, I'm thinking of making a golem to make some webbing.
I thought it was impossible to get silk glands working with a dead body... Meandra says, more musing to herself than actually adding to the conversation. You decide to take her up on that, though
That's why it has to be a golem. You can keep things moving in a golem, although it IS pretty hard.
Wouldn't it need to eat, though? The kobolt alchemist adds, ever astute.
Yeah, I guess it would need quite a bit of protein. Needs a lot of meat, like I do, but I guess a diet of beans would work too.
Unless somebody has to be in the same room.
Snickers erupt from all around. You can't help but give a sideways smile at the joke, although you honestly consider flatulence jokes to be a little below you.
Laugh all you want... The alternative is angry birds.
What?
Resurrect a bunch of birds, make 'em explosive, and have them divebomb the poor sap of my choosing. In this case, that'd be the vampire.
How would you make them explosive?
I have two alchemists.
The weight would be too much for most birds. Sucy says, not even looking at you. Despite grinning as she said that beans joke, she seems to be back to looking exhausted.
True. If we add too little explosive force, the vampire will be left slightly singed, at best. And too much explosives mean the birds won't even get off the ground... And, of course, the bastard is really fast.
We'll look into it when we have them time. I can see the outpost.

The outpost looks to be in excellent repair, all things considered. The adventurers seem to have added some reinforcements to the walls, as there are some holes  in the defences. It's not hard to see where they had to add their own work. Most of the walls look like sturdy wooden poles, bound together. They seem to have added some rather grim warning signs, however. Thrall heads on pikes, recognizable only because of their caps or their bodies being nearby. Two of them were hung from the walls, but those still seem to be alive. They twitch and gnash their teeth as the rope hangs around their neck. When you enter the fort (you just climbed over the wooden walls. No need to wait for the gate) the adventurers seem to be in good spirits. They seem quite proud of the little slice they took, and they even hand you a fresh map to study, to reflect the change in ownership this outpost had. They also perform some raids on the road, stopping a delivery from the farm to the castle! They've been enjoying some bread, which was created by the taller sword-and-boarder, the one with the chin. There's still a few sacks of general farm stuff, most of it being crops of some sort. There's also a bag filled with pipe-weed, a calming drug mostly enjoyed with... well, pipes.
It kind of surprises you that the vampire enjoys the occasional batch of the devil's lettuce, but you don't care overmuch. You hate the stuff, it always just stinks up the place, and the ones that use it habitually act like their brain is leaking through their ears as a slow rate. You once had somebody laying in hall, crying about a snake. Apparently because they don't have arms.

You congratulate their efforts, and take the kobolt aside to talk about possible traps for the golem. She isn't too sure on how to proceed on that one, if it's as big as you say it is. Her favorite trick of a big pit is out of the question, at least. Too much work. Tripwires would require something mighty strong indeed, yet still tensed enough to snap when something walks over it.  If she had the time and tools, she COULD make a beartrap, but even then it'd have to be really big. Not to mention, it might not even care.
All she can really think of making for something that big is an oil trap. Something that explodes in the face of the creature that can not only be set alight, but will blind the putrid beast as well! Getting the oil shouldn't be too much of a hassle, she keeps a decent amount, and if the vampire really gets that much easern visits, there has to be a lot of oil somewhere... Likely in one of the camps, considering the smell. If there's one thing the people of the east love, it's oil. They even have some kind of wrestling type where they cover themselves with oil and little else, and they...
The kobolt, contrary to her usually stoic demeanor, really gets into the oil wrestling bit. You have a faint suspicion she has a bit of a fixation on muscley men covered in oil.
You can understand the appeal.

Eventually, you all decide that you just need to figure out where the oil is begin kept, and then stealing the stuff so you can set a dude on fire with passion!
Seems like a fun plan, and you were about to get started on that if it wasn't for the fact that there was a fresh face on the road. An oddly dressed man is coming down the path.  He's wearing a metal chestplate, but otherwise looks to be wearing some thick leather armor. He is wearing a fairly thick choker with a necklace around it, made of a simple metal. He is wearing a over his forehead, leaving most of his buzzcut left alone. More importantly is his weaponry. He has a very long bow on his back, only barely not scraping the floor, even though it reaches above his head. He also had a crossbow on his chest, reinforced with metal tips along the side. He seems a little wary as he looks at the bunch of you looking at him from behind the walls. He is pawing at his crossbow, but decides to talk, first
Hey! Friend or foe!? he yells from a distance. His voice is surprisingly young-sounding considering his rough-looking exterior.
You decide to risk it, and poke your head out with your shield at the ready.
Who's asking!? you shout, a bit more rough than you wanted to. You're not good at being calmly loud.
My Name's Hal Durran! I'm a witch-hunter, and there has been some bad stuff around these parts! I'm here to clean it up! Who are you?
Sydney Aestinus! Overactive tourist! I'm here to help a friend by killing a vampire!
Then I call you friend! Will you do the same!?

You order the gates to be opened to your new guest. Up close, you notice three things. First, he's actually kind of short. The second part is that he did not know you were a drider  while you were shouting from behind the gate. Third, he is carrying an obscene amount of bolts and arrows.
He seems to be staring at you for the moment, not saying much. To make that end, you decide to start the conversation.
Eyes up here, pal. I got some great legs, I know, but let's have a talk.
Oh! Yes, I-I'm sorry. I just... What are you?
I'm a drider. Lady with a spider for legs? Got eight eyes, well, seven, in my case.
Trust me, you get used to it pretty fast. Just pay attention to the upper parts and you can even forget about the spidery bits.
Right...
Those are some big weapons...
Don't let the size fool you, they're fairly light... Not that you'd be able to use it, miss. You need to be pretty tall to use the bow, and the crossbow's... Alright, I admit, that one may be too heavy for you to keep on target.
Useful. Very useful... Things have been pretty close-ranged for most of us.
I can see you've got a crossbow, though, what's going on with that?
I've been improvising. I don't have the mana to just use my deathbolts.
Necromancy? Rare stuff... Can't say I liked fighting any of your type.
Experienced, are you?
Witchhunter's a fairly wide term. I'm the guy they send when somebody's abusing their magic too much. And some mercenary work on the side. Gotta get my daily bread, don't I?

He seems nice. If nothing else, he'll be very valuable.
What now?

Go looking for the oil storage.
Oil is still very useful and valuable, so it's likely to be close to the castle itself.

Get to know the newcomer
It's always interesting to discover something new.

Plan out an attack on the golem
No oil

Other

Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: November 30, 2017, 10:38:38 am »

Get to know him.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: November 30, 2017, 03:16:28 pm »

So steven universe was smoking pipe-weed here? Don't let pearl know that...

A bit of the first and second.

"So hey, what you got of advice on defeating a stupidly big meat golem with cleavers and hooks? Our best bet right now is to find oil if a vampire would be stupid enough of stocking some of that and not incinerating it far far away from him"

Hmm, does eveline know about this? Maybe the easterns don't take all their oil to the castle, as it could sound like a "threat" but they could stash or hide it somewhere behind the road
Novice english wordsmith

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: December 01, 2017, 05:00:35 am »

Go for the oil storage

Lets do some actual work for this plan, instead of sitting back and talking forever.  I want some action.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: December 01, 2017, 04:18:50 pm »

Half inclined to just ignore the golem for now and work on a plan that involves an oil stockpile and a pillar of flames that stretches into the heavens. But that would be silly, fire is for crusaders.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: December 01, 2017, 05:39:22 pm »

(It would be really nice to have some physical level ups at this point.)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: December 01, 2017, 06:02:53 pm »

(Spider babies are physical.)
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: December 01, 2017, 06:54:24 pm »

Close to the castle, huh? So that'd be one of these tower, right?
You point to the map. There are two towers close to the castle itself, although they would be rather dangerous. They're purely defensive positions, made of stone. Not a lot of holes in a straight up tower of stone, though they most likely didn't account for a wall-climber like yourself. Still, they are ranged users, so you'll have to find something for that...
So, Hal. How good of a shot are you, exactly?
I'm standing here before you, with my head on my shoulders. I think my aim's more than sufficient, no?
Alright. And if I told you you needed to snipe a target on top of tower from outside the effective range of this. You throw your looted crossbow on the ground before him
Hm. Should be easy enough, the longbow should-
While they are at the top of a tower.
He blinks twice, and then glares at you like he's been pranked.
Yeah... Then I'm going to need a little luck, I suppose. The wind could throw the arrow off, and I'll need to do it from quite the distance. I don't do a whole lot of outright assaults. More of an assassin, most of the time.
I guess we'll just have to hope you can just cover us, instead. I'll be climbing up and working my way down.
You've never even seen one of these towers... How can you be making a strategy like this?
Unless the definition of a tower changed recently, there just aren't a lot of different ways you can defend them, I'd gander.
Which tower are we attacking, anyhow? There are two.

If the map's right, they're close enough that we will have to do both. So we'll just work it out when we get there, no?
I suppose. With all of us, we're a force to be reckoned with, I'd say. The adventurer says. You... honestly can't tell them apart half the time, so it doesn't really matter which one said that. They're just so painfully generic. Still, he's right. You'll form a dangerous attack force. You all begin moving, off the road to avoid any patrols. Not that they'd be a problem, but it's best not to risk any particularly unlucky bolts to the head, no? You'll have plenty of time to try your odds when you're attacking a fortified position. While you move, though, you decide to ask a little more about your new friend.
Not that much to tell, really. Spend a lot of my time spelunking, in my early years. After I fought a particularly difficult Geomancer, I ended up in the care of an old paladin, who told me should become a witchhunter. Crazy old bat actually had some tricks in her, too. Apparently, she saw some talent in there, presumably because I survived the encounter with that geomancer... I think she decided I was ready after I killed that slippery little rodent and his doppelgangers. Never saw her again after that.
At any rate, I found plenty of work. Turns out wizards die the same as the average sap, so I turned out a decent bounty hunter. Still, hunting wizards is a special kind of thrill. And that old paladin still instilled something resembling a moral compass. I try to take down anything that sounds like excessive evil. I'd say, mindcontrolling vampire that introduced a bunch of barbarians to the local areas sounds like something up my alley.

Damn right.
There's the towers. See anything?

To your surprise, the witchhunter pulls out a telescope. You've seen a couple of those things at the university, but they were quite expensive. Not a lot of glasscutters around that can make them, so their price is entirely in the hands of the few that do. They like that a lot of students are forced to get those for certain rituals and the like. As a necromancer, there pretty aren't any rituals for the undead resurrection that don't require some kind of talent in the art of necromancy to begin with, so they're overlooked. Back to the matter at hand, however...
You guessed right. Two people on top of the tower, likely a few more inside. I'm seeing windows for them to shoot through. Still...
He remove the massive longbow from his back, and nocks an arrow. He takes a deep breath, and fires the shot before you can even tell him not to. The arrow goes flying towards the closest guard, but a small gust of wind makes it fly just that little bit wrong...
It embeds itself in the leg of one of the thralls, at least, but it seems to be willing to disregard it. A bolt flies towards you, fortunately too far away to really reach. However, the healthy guard has entered the tower, and is already firing his crossbow through the slits in the walls. You suspect there will be more guards inside, but it's hard to tell as of right now.

Balls-out assault!
You need to shut them down before they can call reinforcements. Send everybody in to attack and bash in the door.

Assault slowly
You can't take unneeded risks. You will go forward with your shield, and the rest will go forward at their own pace. You'll attack from above, after climbing up, while they bash in the doors.

Surround the place!
You have enough fighters around to surround the place and prevent anything from running away. Meanwhile, you can send in a strike force to take down the inhabitants. Of course, reduced manpower means much greater risk, and if the other tower notices, one part of the surrounding team might just get flanked!

Other

Map
Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: December 02, 2017, 01:41:58 am »

Assault slowly.
Read the First Post!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: December 02, 2017, 04:53:47 am »

Assalt slowly

we can gain terrain and protect the others from arrows with an mediocre wall of shields, and while we are few meters to bash the door we can climb it to the windows to  make them a bit more worried to deal with you than to drop a possible stock of FLAMING OIL on our friends heads

(remember to climb in spiral on an erratic pattern if possible to make them confused and throw fewer shots at our shield)
Novice english wordsmith

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: December 02, 2017, 05:04:03 am »

If we throw some fire in the windows on our way up it should distract them. Of course, fire goes up, which could be a problem for us, but we are better able to escape from the top of a burning building than most are.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 216