Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can animals breed while overcome by terror.  (Read 1300 times)

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can animals breed while overcome by terror.
« on: December 08, 2016, 09:14:47 am »

Caught myself some armadillos, wiki tells me they produce shells, and im trying to breed them, while getting them into their own room, a cave croc I was training got lose and spooked one, its been "overcome by terror" for about 2 months now, they also havent bred at all, which could obviously take longer than 2 months, I just wanted to make sure I dont have to like, catch another one because this ones too upset to breed or something. Neither was injured, they were just present while a dwarf choked a crocodile to death far as I can tell.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Can animals breed while overcome by terror.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 09:26:24 am »

You need to tame the armadillos, and with the first animals, tamed again if return to savage.
The children of a tamed animal are 100% tamed for the rest of their life.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 10:15:33 am »

You need to tame the armadillos, and with the first animals, tamed again if return to savage.
The children of a tamed animal are 100% tamed for the rest of their life.
I know how taming works, that wasnt the question. Im asking if the "overcome by terror" status, somehow interferes with breeding. Ive tamed several animals already, ive never had one with that status before, and they are acting strangely, its still trained, but getting close to reverting, and i keep getting cancellations about urist mctamer cancels train : no creature for the one that is scared. Ive got a spare male I caught, so ill just kill this one and use the other.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:46:06 am »

I'd try to catch the scared one in a cage to see if it calms down. The gestation period is probably more than 2 months, though (check the raws if you need to know), so unless you use DFHack to check for pregnancy you won't know if there are buns in the oven or not. It's also been said males can impregnate females while caged, provided the female(s) is in the tile beside the cage and is uncaged.

@Luriant: I don't think taming is required for breeding unless you're trying to breed egg layers (search for repopulation of the world with yetis, for instance). Also, your taming description misses the step that you need to train the offspring yourself from whatever training level they are at (including completely wild) before they mature to get them fully tame (and THEIR offspring will be fully tame).

Edit: It's an armadillo, so it curls up to protect itself. A number of animals with this behavior are bugged so they never leave the protective posture. This allows you to build a cage underneath them to catch them, and at least training has worked for me while such specimens have remained in their cages (I haven't tried to remove them). I'd definitely try to cage it by building a cage underneath it and then release it again.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:49:48 am by PatrikLundell »

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 11:21:54 am »

I'd try to catch the scared one in a cage to see if it calms down. The gestation period is probably more than 2 months, though (check the raws if you need to know), so unless you use DFHack to check for pregnancy you won't know if there are buns in the oven or not. It's also been said males can impregnate females while caged, provided the female(s) is in the tile beside the cage and is uncaged.

@Luriant: I don't think taming is required for breeding unless you're trying to breed egg layers (search for repopulation of the world with yetis, for instance). Also, your taming description misses the step that you need to train the offspring yourself from whatever training level they are at (including completely wild) before they mature to get them fully tame (and THEIR offspring will be fully tame).

Edit: It's an armadillo, so it curls up to protect itself. A number of animals with this behavior are bugged so they never leave the protective posture. This allows you to build a cage underneath them to catch them, and at least training has worked for me while such specimens have remained in their cages (I haven't tried to remove them). I'd definitely try to cage it by building a cage underneath it and then release it again.
So when they curl into a ball they can bug, i suspect both probably did that, ill catch and release them, see if they calm down eventually.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 04:31:07 pm »

The gestation period of sentient people used to be 9 months, and for non-sentients 6 months. I don't think that has been changed to a species-based.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 05:10:32 pm »

The gestation period of sentient people used to be 9 months, and for non-sentients 6 months. I don't think that has been changed to a species-based.
I figured they wouldnt be giving birth yet, it was possible, but not likely, they had hung around on the map for quite some time before i caught them, and sat in cages a long time before i put them anywhere. I mostly just wanted to know about this "overcome by terror" flag they had gotten and whether it interfered with anything. Now im trying to get elk birds to breed, got them trained and everything, but it seems seems they are even more awkward, since all but like 1 of each gender is asexual (thats just bad luck on my part far as I can tell), and rather than breed or even stay in their pasture, they flip out and scatter across the map, also overcome by terror for seemingly no reason, same with 1 of 4 wild boars, they all are stacking up against any pet blocking doors I make. For that matter, why do pet unpassable doors seem to send out some kind of irresistible signal to every animal to desperately seek to get through the door? Do I really need to make a several door long hallway just to stop them escaping from pastures?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 05:45:45 pm »

Elk birds are not recommended for breeding as they're both egg layers and grazers, which means the female runs the risk of starving to death while in the nest box.

I assume the sexual orientation determination comes from DT? That determination is not reliable as all info isn't displayed. I had "asexual" ewes giving birth (both of them were labeled as asexual by DT, but I haven't bothered investigating it further). Also, animals no longer care about abstaining from procreation when unwilling to commit to wedlock.

Have you assigned the animals to the pastures (rather than just released them there)? Animals tend to try to path to meeting areas, although pastured ones tend to stay in their pasture most of the time. However, trained wild animals may try to seek out their trainer (it may or may not help to have them trained by "any trainer" rather than specific ones).

Unless you're trying to breed animals, you can stuff all of your non grazers into a single cage. The selected breeders can then be pastured separately.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 05:58:35 pm »

Elk birds are not recommended for breeding as they're both egg layers and grazers, which means the female runs the risk of starving to death while in the nest box.

I assume the sexual orientation determination comes from DT? That determination is not reliable as all info isn't displayed. I had "asexual" ewes giving birth (both of them were labeled as asexual by DT, but I haven't bothered investigating it further). Also, animals no longer care about abstaining from procreation when unwilling to commit to wedlock.

Have you assigned the animals to the pastures (rather than just released them there)? Animals tend to try to path to meeting areas, although pastured ones tend to stay in their pasture most of the time. However, trained wild animals may try to seek out their trainer (it may or may not help to have them trained by "any trainer" rather than specific ones).

Unless you're trying to breed animals, you can stuff all of your non grazers into a single cage. The selected breeders can then be pastured separately.
Yeah, I saw that they were a pain in the ass, I just wanted a source of horn, and with the caravan having run off I dont have one for a year or so, so im trying stuff out. Yes ive pastured them, they immediately become "overcome by terror" and run away from the pasture, at least like two of them do, rest dont care at all. They collect one of them, lead it back, then go get the second, and putting the second back releases the first as they pile against the door. Im wondering if my tame crocodiles are scaring them so im building a second room to house those instead of a big "stuff that lays eggs" room. Maybe prey are scared of predators, even tame ones that arent after them, but none of the chickens or anything run from them, just the elk birds. I cant even get the females to claim nesting boxes or lay eggs, why i checked D Therapist. So asexual animals dont prevent breeding? Thats good, that would be a rather stupid mechanic, dwarves, humans, elves  and stuff I can understand and that makes sense, but you can absolutely force animals to mate, artificially or otherwise.

Edit Edit: Two claimed boxes, laid eggs, none are fertile, ive got like 3 males sitting around in the same pastures as them. Are you sure that DT is wrong about orientations and that asexuals still breed?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:41:41 pm by Weizen1988 »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 10:39:27 pm »

Are you sure that DT is wrong about orientations and that asexuals still breed?

As I understand it, Dwarf Therapist reports the ability to breed after compensating for bug 8815: Animal breeding is prevented if animals aren't "willing to marry", a bug which has since been fixed. The result is that the majority of "infertile" animals reported by Therapist are now able to breed, but not all of them. You can use DFHack to check the actual orientation values for your animals.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 10:57:02 pm »

Are you sure that DT is wrong about orientations and that asexuals still breed?

As I understand it, Dwarf Therapist reports the ability to breed after compensating for bug 8815: Animal breeding is prevented if animals aren't "willing to marry", a bug which has since been fixed. The result is that the majority of "infertile" animals reported by Therapist are now able to breed, but not all of them. You can use DFHack to check the actual orientation values for your animals.
Ill have to check in a bit, im trying to work out how to kill pets quickly just now, I suspect all these pet cats and dogs are going to get out of hand if i dont geld the males at least.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 03:10:32 am »

Pets use same map as dwarves. Pet blocking but passable doors then has them endlessly trying to path through the door and failing. This will kill your FPS.

Training by any trainer doesn't help in my experience. Doggie pack going after your trainer will eat into your FPS.

If you cage all these pet cats and dogs you can minimize their FPS impact (there will be still some counters associated with them, though)*

Also, for breeding the males have able to meet up in adjacent squares. Not sure how that works with egg laying, though.

*Hm, got a fun if pointless idea: embark with 7 puppies, war-train them and assign them as pets once they grow up, then stuff in a cage in meeting room to give your expedition founders happy thoughts about seeing their own pet?

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 08:13:18 am »

Pets use same map as dwarves. Pet blocking but passable doors then has them endlessly trying to path through the door and failing. This will kill your FPS.

Training by any trainer doesn't help in my experience. Doggie pack going after your trainer will eat into your FPS.

If you cage all these pet cats and dogs you can minimize their FPS impact (there will be still some counters associated with them, though)*

Also, for breeding the males have able to meet up in adjacent squares. Not sure how that works with egg laying, though.

*Hm, got a fun if pointless idea: embark with 7 puppies, war-train them and assign them as pets once they grow up, then stuff in a cage in meeting room to give your expedition founders happy thoughts about seeing their own pet?
The ones pathing through doors arent pets, its farm animals, the pets are just choking my meeting hall, but the farm animals have had a blue ! over their head for better part of a year, only ones impacted is one of 4 wild boars, and 3 of my 6 elkbirds (im basically giving up on them, securing a supply of horn isnt worth this much of a pain in the ass, and ive never even run into the problem about them people complain about, they wont even claim nest boxes, and those that do are all infertile, no matter how many males are around) and will not stay in pastures, dwarves come, return them to pasture,  second they are let go, they sprint back to the door and stack up on it, so the dwarf leaving releases all of them that were brought back, creating several more pasturing jobs, for which the same thing happens.

They are pastured in that pasture, they do not have nest boxes somewhere else or anything like that, im about ready to just stick every grazer in a cage, and either let them die or try and build an area blocked by raising bridge to stuff them in, hope the game wont also make them path as though they could walk through walls.

I just wish the game was that tiny bit more helpful and actually told you what was wrong, why are they "overcome by terror"? nothing is attacking them, nothing is after them, they have food, the pasture is huge, they have never had children, so they cant be like upset that their children are taken away, if such a thing is even in game. Nope, all I know is "overcome by terror" and that it manifests itself in an all consuming desire to path through doors ive locked against animals, if I -dont- pet lock them, they just scatter at random around the map, if they are locked, they obsessively run through all of them them for no reason before escaping and running all around the fort.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 08:15:22 am by Weizen1988 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 08:32:08 am »

....No matter what sort of creatures they are, if they're constantly trying to path, they will eat into your FPS. "Pet-blocking"/"Pet-Impassable" is just the name of the feature, it also works on your animals that aren't somebody's pet, as you can see. Use the normal forbidding or bridges/walls instead and I suggest almost never brother with "pet-impassable" feature - the FPS hit ain't worth it.

Perhaps they're scared of some corpse or corpse pieces...Or birds above, if your pasture is outdoors. Normally, pastured grazers will try to leave the pasture only when scared (or when somebody's pet.

Tame or trained grazers can't eat while in cage. If they're somebody's pet, they might be brought food. Otherwise, they'll starve and you have useless refuse.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 08:34:57 am by Fleeting Frames »

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 01:10:31 pm »

....No matter what sort of creatures they are, if they're constantly trying to path, they will eat into your FPS. "Pet-blocking"/"Pet-Impassable" is just the name of the feature, it also works on your animals that aren't somebody's pet, as you can see. Use the normal forbidding or bridges/walls instead and I suggest almost never brother with "pet-impassable" feature - the FPS hit ain't worth it.

Perhaps they're scared of some corpse or corpse pieces...Or birds above, if your pasture is outdoors. Normally, pastured grazers will try to leave the pasture only when scared (or when somebody's pet.

Tame or trained grazers can't eat while in cage. If they're somebody's pet, they might be brought food. Otherwise, they'll starve and you have useless refuse.
I know any kind of animal does it, I was just trying to provide complete information that its only a few specific animals in a pasture, the rest of the animals in the same pasture dont care, and it isnt even all of one species. Pasture is all underground. Honestly im probably just going to kill every grazer and stick with non exotic layers as much as possible, had none of this problem with caravan bought animals, just captured ones, though my croc farm seems to be generating plenty of eggs, so i might spare it.
Pages: [1] 2