Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to save my dwarfs  (Read 510 times)

killerszlj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to save my dwarfs
« on: December 06, 2016, 11:52:23 pm »

Hi, I have some dwarfs were outside collecting logs and farming while hunters were hunting some giant badgers, these dwarfs apparently met some wild giant badgers or maybe saw some terrible things. In their thoughts, I can see they were terrified in conflict, and in health panel they were in Ovx(over-exerted) condition. And now they were stooped by some badger. I guess they were in fight or too terrify to move. So my question is how to save these dwarfs? I only got some hunter dwarfs and one of them already got killed by those giant badgers. Thanks!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to save my dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:02:57 am »

"Over-exerted" means they wore themselves out fighting the badgers. You can encourage your dwarves to go back inside your fortress by enabling a civilian alert, though they may lead the badger-menace back to your base. It's a good idea to have a few cage traps set up near your entrance to contain any unwelcome wildlife.

killerszlj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 12:20:25 am »

Thanks, once I enabling a civilian alert, will these dwarfs who were in fighting also back to my base?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 05:33:21 am »

A civilian alert may or may not work to draw civilians back from a fight (sometimes they will continue to fight, especially if fueled by liquid bravery). The dorfs would first have to recover enough to walk, and then they'll either continue to fight or return. Note that a CIVILIAN alert only affects civilians, so if in a squad they'd have to be set to off duty.
An alternative way is to send the militia out to kill the animals. The exhausted dorfs would then amble back when they recover.
Of course, there's always the risk the animals may kill the stupid defenseless dorfs.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 02:46:40 pm »

Giant badgers can be quite dangerous. If your hunters have some solid skills you could draft them into an archery squad, but you must first disable their hunting jobs so that they aren't effected by the annoying hunter/military equipment bug. Then once they are no longer hunters assign them uniforms that include range weapons, your best ammo and maybe some basic armor if you have it, just make sure it isn't too heavy. Be sure to remember the quivers. Once they throw their old hunting outfits away and re-arm themselves you can then gather them together and send them out as an organized unit to remove the problem badgers so your civilians can escape to safety. You can do this same thing with your miners except with them you want to give them good pickaxes as part of their military uniform. You will surprised just how good a rag tag militia thrown together from your hunters and miners can be in a pinch. Miners make brutal melee dwarves. I am making this suggestion assuming you do not have a standing military at the moment. After the badgers are taken care of you could disband your military and reassign them to labor, but personally I would probably just keep them as your core military and assign new miners from useless members of the population. You can then use your new military to hunt manually and to clear the map of threats when they arise.

As others have recommended cage traps are your best friend in a savage wilderness. The are quick, cheap, super effective and more importantly you will end up with things like giant war badgers that you can then train and augment your defenses with. It's probably too late to save your dwarves who are already fighting the badgers by just using traps, but they will be a great addition for dealing with future badger incursions.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:57:01 pm by Melting Sky »