Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultimate Defense  (Read 1371 times)

Resonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ultimate Defense
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:10:16 pm »

Alright, I must know. What is everyone's go-to defensive strategy? Pic related is my latest project. Magma crabs in lever-linked cages at the north/west side still need more magma crabs, but otherwise makes for a decent magma machine gun. Prisoners caught are either dropped down a 50z shaft onto 10 masterwork spikes, or placed in the magma chamber/arena for goblinite smelting. The pit to the south is home to 20 legendary military dorfs, and raising by bridges.
It has become my goal to create the longest living fortress I can. Twelve years running, five sieges, and countless titans and forgotten beast attacks, two Giants, an Ettin, and a Hydra, all falling to the power of the military.

So, what do you all think? What's to be improved?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Defense
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 05:39:03 pm »

The position of this thread. It belongs in... DF General Discussion, methinks.

Also, welcome to the Bay 12 Forums! Leave half your sanity at the door. It tends to get in the way, but it can be useful on occasion.

Also... have you visited the circus yet?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Resonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 06:54:05 pm »

Being new to the forum, I knew little of where to post. Thanks for letting me know.
As for the circus, yes. I have fought the clowns several times, and none of them have been successful. I am currently working on a . . . (four) stage defense system? Firstoff, a winding hallway with floor bars above. Magma will later be pumped into the chamber. 2 levels above, there are four bridges holding 7/7 water above the floor bars. when a lever is pulled, the clowns will be cast in obsidian, and the entrance will be closed off for renovations. Failing the casting chamber, I have another winding hallway with repeating spike traps (Because normal ones won't do the trick). Above that, a long hallway with 2 artifact floodgates in the center to draw aggro, surrounded by cage traps, with a giant cave spider behind a bridge and fortifications, (to cage as many demons as possible in magma safe traps, later to be cast in obsidian) and on the opposite side, another long bridge with a barracks designated, and to be filled with my 40 finest when I plan on visiting. Failing all of that, a 6x6x5 cork is suspended above a 3x3 staricase and linked to a lever in the common room. Of course, I'm still working on setting all of the spike traps to a lever, and getting the magma flowing at a decent speed, but overall, it appears very promising. Any thoughts?

Resonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 06:56:42 pm »

Well, I see my mistake. I thought "Creative Projects" meant dwarven projects. Is there a way to migrate this tread over to the correct board?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 07:05:04 pm »

As for the circus, yes. I have fought the clowns several times, and none of them have been successful. I am currently working on a . . . (four) stage defense system? Firstoff, a winding hallway with floor bars above. Magma will later be pumped into the chamber. 2 levels above, there are four bridges holding 7/7 water above the floor bars. when a lever is pulled, the clowns will be cast in obsidian, and the entrance will be closed off for renovations. Failing the casting chamber, I have another winding hallway with repeating spike traps (Because normal ones won't do the trick). Above that, a long hallway with 2 artifact floodgates in the center to draw aggro, surrounded by cage traps, with a giant cave spider behind a bridge and fortifications, (to cage as many demons as possible in magma safe traps, later to be cast in obsidian) and on the opposite side, another long bridge with a barracks designated, and to be filled with my 40 finest when I plan on visiting. Failing all of that, a 6x6x5 cork is suspended above a 3x3 staricase and linked to a lever in the common room. Of course, I'm still working on setting all of the spike traps to a lever, and getting the magma flowing at a decent speed, but overall, it appears very promising. Any thoughts?
So... a deadly fortress of deadly death. Yeah, that seems to be going well.

If you're looking for more difficulty:
1. Bottle them up. The individual foes may be weak, but what if you fight them all at once?
2. Hope for a (un)lucky forgotten beast. They can come in flavors that are far more difficult than the norm.
3. Mods! Head on over to the modding board and download Fortress Defense or the mod with the Daleks. That'll feed your urge for more meat sacks to slay.
4. Give yourself restrictions. Sure, you can fight the invasions now, but what if all of your soldiers were werebeasts/vampires?
~~~
Well, I see my mistake. I thought "Creative Projects" meant dwarven projects. Is there a way to migrate this tread over to the correct board?
Why yes, good sir. Scroll down all the way to the bottom of the page, then look to the far left. You'll notice a "Move Topic" button right next to the "Lock Topic" button.
~~~
A final note: Please take a look at the Mafia sub-board. We need more players there. Trust me, it's worth your while if you're looking for an intellectual challenge.
~~~
Edit: Do note that another appropriate board for this may be the Community Games and Stories one, usually used for specific forts.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:06:48 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Resonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 07:51:28 pm »

Why yes, good sir. Scroll down all the way to the bottom of the page, then look to the far left. You'll notice a "Move Topic" button right next to the "Lock Topic" button.
~~~
Edit: Do note that another appropriate board for this may be the Community Games and Stories one, usually used for specific forts.

Alright, I think I got it. Did everything migrate over correctly?

As for Mafia, I often play irl, but never online. Message me if/when there is a game starting, please?

And because I feel it inappropriate to post without saying anything substantial, I would like to ask if anyone has experimented with bees much. The wiki says when you reach 60 hives, you can't get more hives active, and it seems to imply honey will still be produced. However, I have created 60 hives, with half of them set to split and half of them not, and they stopped producing honey altogether. I recently removed a single hive, and production of honey has resumed. Currently, I have 59 domestic hives, and (roughly) 4 wild hives, suggesting only hives you own count toward the limit. Has anyone had similar findings?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 05:33:49 am »

"Go-to" and "ultimate" aren't exactly the same thing :P

My starting go-to defence is hatch I can forbid instantly for long access to depot and short access to outside + forbidden doors shortcut with minecart bumper to kill thieves (and prevent them from taking control of the hatch). The doors will be retaken thanks to traffic designations.

Then I proceed to add some traps to catch wildlife attacks into entrance. 3 cages - two weapons at diagonals - then perhaps another 3 cages.

Bit afterwards, I upgrade it with detour option to bait animal on chain looking out through windows. Detour containing some manner of minecarty death, like percussion.

About same time, I give caravans a corridor to map edge. Maybe get up some anti-werebeast defences, depending on embark.

Later on, I might install some sort of artifact furniture with bridge seals to get buildingdestroyers unharmed. Ideally grate, floodgate, hatch or door.

For caverns, can do at leisure, but just a wooden door bait + cage traps right after embark (prevents FBs) with sealing up fort access afterwards until a spider is caught can be quite nice.

A ladder of bait furniture + bridge seal for FB capture can work, setup properly. Or just pop down an artifact in some public place and enjoy the spectacle of FBs fighting each other.

Longer-term, I think I like getting everyone train in military half the time - just the cross-training improving their civilian results is worthy enough, but clothing industry also matters less and "hauler interrupted by FB -> FB killed harmlessly" is always neat. Plus, military is nice quick way to kill things that won't take the bait or attack your encampment, just point and kill.

PS: perhaps DF Fort mode discussion would be most appropriate, tbh, since this seems about discussing designs in multiple forts. But everything migrated over correctly as far as I can see.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:37:10 am by Fleeting Frames »

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:41:02 am »

Im pretty much brand new, only played a week or so. I make a single entrance and put a raising bridge of magma safe materials in front of it, since I dont know of any dragonfire safe materials yet, and thats the only worse thing. All dwarves except wood cutters and a few other tasks are restricted to stay underground, if anything shows up, shut the gate. far as I can tell its the absolute ultimate defense, nothing can break raised bridges, its a wall, so they just mill around and leave eventually, entrance is behind a depot that is still open to the world, with a second gate i can close from inside the fort so caravans still show up, then i close the gate leading into it, then open mine, conduct trade, leave, close my gate, and open theirs when they are getting ready to leave. Its boring though, so im building a series of other defenses. mostly walls and airlocks, experimenting with trap designs all around the surface of my map. Then ill either reload this map from embark or start over with my new information on how to design things on a new map, try something other than big flat forested areas. Or just live in the middle of a weird half finished maze of random stuff, with weird separate structures dotting the landscape whos whole purpose is trap testing and pumping water or magma around to practice powering pumps.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:44:55 am by Weizen1988 »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 11:03:32 am »

I'm pretty straight forward. That is:

1. Train a large militia that can fight invaders head on.

2. Hundreds of traps and long corridors.

3. Spike traps that are linked to levers.

4. Narrow bridge/sky walk with weapon traps.

I haven't tried magma though.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!