Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Leather  (Read 2566 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leather
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 07:25:12 am »

"peak food" confuses me because  if it is meant in the same way that "peak oil" means, it means that we are currently extracting food at its maximum rate, and in the future we will have less extraction because reserves are lower ;-)  Although I suppose what is meant is that the availabilty : consumption ratio is at its highest.

I honestly wouldn't mind if my dwarfs ate and drank once a day.  It would give some meaning to backpacks and flasks.  Maybe if some hauling tasks took days, they could take a break and eat from their backpack (or wander back to the dining room).  Obviously it can't be done trivially (it needs code changes), but I can't really see any downside to it from a playing perspective.

The nutrition stuff sounds cool, but super complicated to me.  I suppose if we wait for that, it will be a long time coming ;-).  I'm very much thinking about doing a "hill farming" challenge in the near future -- hundreds of sheep and cattle wandering without defences on the hills.  You have to protect them from the wild animals and various attackers, or starve.

But I guess this thread has derailed somewhat (sorry!).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 07:39:12 am »

The feeding challenge should be to provide them with what they need/want, not to push it down their throats (as far as I understand, you have the Sims for that). That the human fatsplosion shows humans aren't particularly capable at keeping themselves healthy isn't really an argument that dorfs should be as stupid in that particular regard (although the creatures controlled with a fantasy setting of 0 and a [potential] realism setting of 100??? Maybe with a horror setting of 100?).
The fact that the dorfs currently are incapable of catering to their needs and desires does not mean it should or will be that way forever. Nutrition introduction more or less forces an improvement to be made in the food department, and one might hope the other parts will see some improvement as well with that overhaul. Personally I'd like to see need/desire satisfaction to be addressed before nutrition (call it "preparation" if you like). I guess Toady wouldn't want to spend more than a minimum effort in improving the current food satisfaction unless he has a clear path of minimal work to migrate that onto nutrition, though, and that basically requires nutrition to be figured out, which probably would work him up on that...

I've seen the remark linked, and I maintain that we've actually passed the peak by a little bit through the latest consumption rate change, but the difference is rather small, so we're still essentially at the peak, just not at the very top of the summit.

@mikekchar, posting while I wrote: We're probably at peak yield as well, as soil nutrition (a different task than food nutrition, tackled at the same time or separately) is probably going to lower production as well.

You don't actually want your dorfs to eat once per day: it's actually fairly easy to get an embark where it takes several days just to walk from the fortress to the lowermost work areas (such as magma sea operations). DF Fortress Mode operates on an accelerated time scale (72:1 or something like that vs Adventure mode). Even walking to the edge of a normal embark to pick up a log and bring it back is probably a task that takes several days. Thus, to eat once per day you'd probably have to change Fortress Mode speed to match Adventure Mode (and that would result in an enormous increase in the food demand as well...).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 08:07:23 am »

*considers* Well, if dwarves acted smarter than humans in this and other needs respect, it'd be neat - even begging the question of why you're deciding their jobs ;D. But I suppose we shall wait and see. The segfaults I'm getting from even just dropping earrings on dwarves do leave me expecting "fun" of the additional difficulties sort.

Anyway, regarding consumption increase: Hm, does wiki need to be updated? The Hunger page is the same as it was in .34, and I've certainly managed to get away with military alerting my entire fortress into a room (with lever to add 4/7 water into it) for ..hm, I think it was 38? days.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 03:35:51 pm »

Obviously human DF overseers are smarter than average humans :P

I'm not sure what changed, but embark stores of booze suddenly ran out quicker. The release notes doesn't mention anything except a general statement about replacing chunks of code.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 04:25:14 pm »

no meat or bones to deal with

That's half the point or raising animals for slaughter. They explode in showers of tasty organs useful byproducts.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Carpecanum

• Bay Watcher
  • your mother, for her haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 11:39:28 pm »

I usually have two female and one male war dog on embark.  Puppies appear and multiply fast enough to raise train and then slaughter them constantly in a very short time.  But I just do that to keep numbers down.  For leather I ask the liaison for all types of leather and then I get more than I can use easily next autumn.  And it's still cheap
Filthy Casual ftw
Pages: 1 2 [3]