Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bay12 Classroom  (Read 4606 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Classroom
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 12:06:47 pm »

Study Groups

• Productivity and Self-Discipline 101 - Cinder

So I was hoping to try something to give this place some life. I call it a study group because I'm figuring things out as I go, and mostly I'll be making things up to see what works. I'll make a class for it once I write enough material to start structuring them.

I'll be making a thread for this soon, but you all know I like to hype things up first.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2016, 03:26:26 am »

Actually I'm interested in a World War 1 and 2 class, if anybody offers. Since Thailand spent the first war being neutral and only threw in our lot one month before the war ended, and spent the second war getting oppressed by Japan, I don't really know the actual details of the war apart from broad strokes like Nazis, Operation Rising Sun, and Gavrilo Princip.

More specifically, I want to know more about any particular country's involvement in the wars, rather than the global detail.

Eh, necro because I'm still interested in the answer to my own question and can give a decent answer to this one. I'll write about Austria-Hungary because it's a pretty interesting place, and while most people know that the assassination of the Archduke kicked off WWI, when they think of the actual war they mostly know that they were aligned with the Central Powers and not much else. I'll try to keep this post relatively short and maybe do more if interest in the thread picks up again.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:28:07 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 07:59:30 pm »

I'd really like to improve my comic drawings. Any tips?
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 08:21:42 pm »

Do you use digital or do you make physical drawings?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2017, 01:09:57 am »

Practice (this is the most important thing). Do studies (this isn't important, but makes it faster. You can learn without doing studies, but doing studies will teach you faster).

What do you struggle with? The approach to 'I struggle to render noses perfectly as I imagine them' is different to the one to 'I find it difficult to make arms the right length'.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2017, 01:11:27 am »

Is this actually happening? I'm pretty confident in my ability to teach coding (i now have two degrees in it), but not sure how many people are in need of that, since the 'net is full of resources.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:15:08 am by Reelya »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2017, 04:10:59 am »

Well...Honestly that's more a Coding Thread thing?  But codifying existing resources would be cool.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2017, 04:42:56 am »

The single coding thread is good for when specific questions occur, but for an overall "learn to code" it would be better to have a thread for that, probably. Maybe with periodic coding challenges and games etc. For example 3man75 would have been better served if we'd had a beginner's coding school thread. It should probably have something to do with the Creative Projects board however, but I'd want to see interest in setting that up before doing anything with it.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 03:32:16 pm »

What do you mean by "learn to code"? Syntax? Algorithms? What language?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 04:04:01 pm »

Any language really, basics up to and including doing graphics and AI programming, that sort of thing. It would depend on what level people are at and what they want to learn.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 09:36:44 pm »

sounds intresting :)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 03:58:31 am »

I will host a how - to - roleplay session if it is so required.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 04:33:44 am »

Is this actually happening? I'm pretty confident in my ability to teach coding (i now have two degrees in it), but not sure how many people are in need of that, since the 'net is full of resources.

I would be very interested in this.

Ideally - eventually - I would like to make a game or two in C++ but whenever I have looked to online resources I have been unable to find something with enough scaling practical exercises to maintain my enthusiasm.  (Personally I regard myself as a complete beginner - last time I wrote a semi-serious program was in basic with a 20 minute load from cassette tape.)  Either it has been all "hello world" times n or it has quickly gone into technical niceties well over my head, where I have had no understanding of why one would do this let alone how.

Just busted my shoulder badly so got 6+ months ahead with time to dedicate...

p.s. Reelya, I think that you will be a good teacher of things that you know well.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2017, 10:25:25 am »

I'm reviving this again. I want to do some sleep scheduling workshop. I expect I'll probably run into problems I can't advise on, but more information and solution ideas never hurt anyone, righr?

I'll come up with a time at some point. The idea is a 3-month "course" where every "presentation" is given each week (just to prevent people getting overwhelmed than anything) and you can ask me questions.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2017, 11:25:32 pm »

I think I'll be dividing it up into 12 sessions, per week. I'll taking a very gradual pace because how else would you talk about sleep for three months.

Pages: 1 2 [3]