Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble with a fortress-wide training regimen  (Read 502 times)

Crandal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trouble with a fortress-wide training regimen
« on: December 05, 2016, 07:50:14 am »

Hello Bay12!  I've hit a bit of a snag with my fortress plan.  One of my goals for this fortress was to have the entire fort engaged in a large-scale military training operation every winter, and I've set them all up with squads, assigned them a barracks, set it all to train, and set them all to be active only during the winter and they all go and train there, which is well and good.

But they won't stop.  More precisely, so long as there's a barracks, and they're set to train at that barracks, even when their squad schedule is inactive they go to the barracks and do individual (green) training.  This training appears to be such high priority that they won't socialize, they won't pray, they won't study in the library.  It's caused my fort's social life to grind to a halt, and all of my training dwarves are pretty upset about unmet needs.  so here's my question:  How do I set up a schedule with my dwarves so that they automatically head to the barracks to train during the winter, but don't do individual training there during the other seasons?  Is it possible?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with a fortress-wide training regimen
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 08:20:50 am »

Just free the barracks. During the seasons.

Highly trained soldiers will still go to barracks even if they are free because they prefer to.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with a fortress-wide training regimen
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:07:53 am »

You could also make the barracks/temple/tavern/whatever inaccessible during a period of desired non-usage. This can be relatively safely automated, too, by removing the place they stand on*. The barrack-designating building doesn't need to be accessible itself - you can first designate the room, then wall it off. Or use a(n internal) door, if you want to keep it accessible for later.

* Through hatches/grates, or less safely bridges
    (items left on bridge can be thrown around and kill military).
For large scale grate operations, perhaps using upstairs "invisible supporting floor" feature would work?