Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Protecting migrants from evil weather?  (Read 830 times)

Drathnoxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Protecting migrants from evil weather?
« on: December 04, 2016, 08:34:35 pm »

So I was playing my first game in an evil biome, and was doing okay at keeping my dwarves away from the haunted smoke that moved along the far edge of the map. However, it just so happened that as the smoke was drifting along some migrants arrived and pretty much spawned in the cloud, causing all except one to become smoke thralls. This contributed to the immediate collapse of the fort, which was already floundering due to gross mismanagement of alcohol and permanently frozen water causing everybody to die of thirst.

How do I give my migrants a fighting chance against the smoke?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Protecting migrants from evil weather?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 11:08:55 pm »

Easiest way is probably restricted surface + several high-priority underground routes. Block off the sky as desired for additional, up to complete cloud cover safety.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 04:02:51 am »

Well, you wanted an evil biome challenge and you got it ;)

As Fleeting Frames said, getting them underground quickly should be the first priority, with appropriate safety measures to deal with the ones thralled. Blocking off the sky is risky as the workers doing the building will be at risk. If it's only a small part of the embark that's evil you may consider building a wall to block it off, in the hope that migrants and caravans will spawn in the safe parts of the map. Evil rain can be protected against using an "umbrella" system where builders of the next section are protected by the previous one, but mist is different.

A while ago (half a year?) there was a thread about how evil mist/smoke behaves when facing buildings. You may want to search for that.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 04:38:48 am »

Add some secondary entrances to your fortress. My setup had three long tunnels. The tunnel-ends near the trade depot room had forbidden doors and the tunnel-ends near the edge of the map had a raised bridge, so the tunnels could not be used be friend or foe. When migrants arrive, raise the central bridge and lower one of the secondary entrance bridges and unlock that door. Now the migrants have only one way in and they have better odds of getting in (no certainty, but better odds). Also, if some of the migrants in the tunnel get infected then the final option of locking the door (and building a wall) is still there.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 12:33:40 am »

If it's only a small part of the embark that's evil you may consider building a wall to block it off, in the hope that migrants and caravans will spawn in the safe parts of the map.
That will work for the merchant caravans, but not for migrants, invaders, or the liason. For all of those, the spawn locations are determined at embark and do not change if you build walls, without using dfhack to edit the relevant flag on the map edge tiles.