Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid marksdwarves  (Read 972 times)

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid marksdwarves
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:51:32 pm »

So I started this military force that's composed by only marksdwarves, but I've been having issues with this. First, the ammo and training; my dwarves always seem to have no ammo for training because they aren't training at all even if they have a stockpile full of ammo next to the shooting range. Second, I was thinking about making alive training program in which I capture goblins and make the recruits shoot them without mercy. However I lack of the knowledge to place fortifications and make the dwarves shoot through them. wiki has been no help, so I recurred to this forum.
Urist McDM:"Roll a dwarven stupidity check"
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1
*Urist Mcplayer gets stucked in a hole
Urist McPlayer has been found death

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid marksdwarves
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:44:53 pm »

firstly, are your marksdwarves assigned to use the correct type of ammo?
secondly, do your marksdwarves have the wrong type of ammo on them already?

ammo is buggy atm, if your marksdwarves have say, bronze bolts on them (like if they are a hunter that migrated and brought their own) and you assign them to use steel bolts, they wont want to pick up the steel bolts until their bronze bolts are gone, but they are assigned to use steel bolts so they wont fire their bronze bolts, thus they never run out, and they never switch to the right ammo.

as for live training, you will need somebody else, i dont play with marksdwarves due to the aforementioned bug
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:10:18 pm »

They are just being lazy sometimes.
You can give them barracks, instead of just ranges. Put the barracks inside the range area (assume you know how to set up ranges), and give them some time.
They build their skills via demostrations even if they don't shoot anything, and the more they stay in the area, the more they will use the targets.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:09:15 pm »

Also remember that you have to use 'q' on each target and assign the size and direction of the practice range and also designate who can use it.  Forgetting to assign a squad to be able to use a target is an easy way to get the results you are seeing.

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 10:23:45 pm »

Yes, I've assigned them bone ammo, and they used their previous ammo. I've set the range and assigned to a squad already. I will try the barracks thing do.
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 10:47:26 pm »

By the way, can anyone confirm if the bin/ammo bug is fixed? I never use bins but just in case.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 01:15:41 am »

By the way, can anyone confirm if the bin/ammo bug is fixed? I never use bins but just in case.
Still broken.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 02:57:45 pm »

I believe marksdwarves will *never* use a shooting range unless they're assigned to a barracks in addition to the range.
At least thats what I saw happening on my forts. Then I stopped using marksdwarves because they dont know how to reload their quivers while shooting invaders from inside fortifications.

Also, for the live training program, try this:
-get your goblins on cages;
-build a proper shooting room, with fortifications on one of the sides of the room and all that;
-directly above the room, channel though the floor so you can dump stuff into the room;
-construct the goblin cages using the "B" menu around the channeled hole;
-designate the space on top of the hole as a Pit;
-Pit the goblins into the hole;
-Get marksdwarf experience!

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 03:21:55 pm »

I would do that if goblins were a hostile civilization, but, thanks to the power of random codes, goblins are in peace with dwarves. I'll try that with orcs do. Thanks!
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 03:42:30 pm »

Caponimoq, check this out:

This is an example of my archery range setup. Above the left chamber is a mass-pitting room full of cages. The chamber includes two drop-down bridges to clear the range of target/Goblinite residue. The purple mica bridge acts as a secure service entrance to retrieve Goblinite ore and change up the range. The right-hand chamber holds the actual archery ranges the training crossbowmen path to, including a drop-pit for ammo that overshoots the targets. The gap in front of the fortifications is two-blocks deep, and helps deter ranged-capable targets from shooting your dwarves, while still allowing them to move around the target area via ramps up.

As your marksdwarves path to the archery ranges to train, they'll be forced to pass through the one-wide hallway with fortifications; this means that if anyone is penned in there, they'll shoot at them, hopefully with the training ammo they've equipped for the archery ranges farther along. This results in the added benefit of your live targets living as long as possible, and providing better returns on training.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:44:14 pm by OAOGigmaster »
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 04:11:26 pm »

Then I stopped using marksdwarves because they dont know how to reload their quivers while shooting invaders from inside fortifications.

Use a patrol order that includes waypoints between the pillbox and an enclosed location out of sight of hostiles that houses your bolt stockpile.  Haven't tried this recently (43.xx) but used to work.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 10:16:24 pm »

I kinda get what you are saying, but, as I'm a newby and I use another texture pack i lost half of the info. Anyway, I will try to replicate it
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 11:51:49 pm »

Good luck!
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 12:32:38 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stupid_dwarf_trick#Bolt_splitting_operation works in 43.05, as far as live training goes. Though I had dwarves take the 5z plunge occasionally (and cyclops wanting to climb out, thus needing to be chained), resulted in me losing the cyclops eventually. (Perhaps floating vertical bars would stop that? Eh.)
I believe marksdwarves will *never* use a shooting range unless they're assigned to a barracks in addition to the range.

43.03, hit play now, assigned the novice fisher to squad with crossbow/bolts, made crossbow/bolts and unassigned hunter ammo, switched schedule to active/training.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:38:17 am by Fleeting Frames »

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 06:48:33 pm »

At least thats what I saw happening on my forts. Then I stopped using marksdwarves because they dont know how to reload their quivers while shooting invaders from inside fortification

I never assign my markdswarfs to barracks for them to not loose time on demonstrations. They do use the range without a barracks assigned.
Ô_ quack