Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: In Production  (Read 14245 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: Announced!
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2017, 02:54:47 pm »

Remember, this is why knockdowns were removed.

MWO is worse in pretty much every respect compared to the beta state. They've ignored the community, consistently fucked things up, and run a cycle of "introduce new OP 'mech for real money, nerf it to shit once you can buy it with c-bills" for years.

Not to mention they aren't even able to change the game substantially because all their coders left/were fired and none of them know how the game files are organized.

They shut down a member of the community who made a colorblind-friendly UI mod by tweaking color values in their own files because it was a clearer UI than they've managed across the game's lifetime and they couldn't figure out how to make the same changes.

Fuck PGI. Fuck Russ. Fuck Paul. And fuck the rest of the team. That shitty company whose previous resume consists of a steaming pile of shit drove the property into the ground and nearly ruined the only good modern MW game when they tried (and ultimately failed) to torpedo Living Legends.

Thank goodness for the current LL team and HBS, otherwise we might never have seen another BTech game of any sort after PGI comprehensively ran what could have been a successful and highly lucrative property into the ground through sheer unmitigated arrogance and stupidity after starting with an inbuilt audience of diehard fanatics with adult income streams.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2017, 03:16:46 pm »

They got removed because he got knocked down?

How idiotic.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2017, 04:47:29 pm »

Yep, a couple days after that happened.

That's what happened to a lot of stuff in MWO, especially in the early days.

The rest was removed because they were shit at their jobs. For example:

This is what LRMs originally looked like.
What SRMs, old (i.e. good) Forest Colony, and the game in general looked like.
This is what thermal optics used to look like.

There was also once a time where MWO weapons didn't have perfect instant convergence:

Among other things. Basically they removed half of the mechanics that made the game interesting and decently balanced, everything that made it look good, and then spent years repeatedly shitting on game balance to sell more mechpacks.

3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2017, 05:07:04 pm »

I am surprised the game still exists then. That looks nothing like the mess i'd attempted to try a few years ago.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2017, 02:59:24 pm »

Eeehh I'd take the very negative views with a pinch of salt on this one - it's a fun multiplayer mech game and it has improved over the years from a completely layman's standpoint (I played it very early on, and then a few months back). I'm a mechwarrior fan and played 3-4, but never got into MWO competitively or in a min/max way - I think most of the criticism is the same type of criticism as you get from MMORPG fans, plus the main guys a bit more of a dick than usual.

Basically though, for those reading I wouldn't despair completely. It's just something that's better to wait and see with than preorder/get hyped.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 04:08:38 pm »

That's the thing: it's not completely terrible. But it's in the WoT/WT realm of shitty devs and descended to its current state from what was originally a pretty good game with a crappy UI (now being a mediocre-to-bad game with a crappy UI) solely because of developer incompetence. 

The only reason there's any playerbase left at all is because BTech fans are mostly stubborn old fucks who will take anything over nothing.

I mean, shit, look at Living Legends. That's a couple of different groups of people building a MW game from scratch as a goddamn Crysis mod and they made a better multiplayer MW experience in pretty much every respect. The only missing element is MechLab customization, but frankly that has always been the shittiest part of MW multiplayer since people just make noncanonical overpowered bullshit frankenmechs.

I'm not down on MWO. I'm down on PGI. PGI are the living embodiment of shitty devs. I trust them about as far as I can throw a Masakari, and the community would be far better off if basically any other studio at all was in charge of MW5. The only way it could be worse would be if it was Ubishit or EA running things. If they make MW5 good, I'll be ecstatic and buy the hell out of it. But no way in the world am I going to preorder or buy on launch, not from piggy.

3. Run Resize Enable

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2017, 04:10:58 pm »

Eh, mech warrior online is one of the few F2P games I play, and have played for years.  I haven't spent a dime, and I don't feel like I'm stuck using 'bad mechs'.

In fact... looking at the meta tier lists, it's mostly mechs you can buy with in game money.  The best mech (at least according to some people) is the Kodiak 3, which, while expensive, is available for in game money.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2017, 05:02:00 pm »

Civil war tech in MWO revived a lot of trash mechs to at least be in the "decent" tier.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2017, 07:43:21 am »

Yeah, that's very true.  The civil war tech upgrade was something I though 'meh' about when I read the initial plans, but it's opened a lot of possibilities, and that has rescued a lot of not so great mechs.   For example, my assassin seemed like utter garbage before, but with the new MRMs and ER lasers for inner sphere it's become a decent little mech.

I also like that inner sphere finally gets some toys that clan doesn't get.  No RACs for you clanners! (Thank goodness...)

Anyway... sorry this is the MW5 thread, not MWO...  I just had to come and white knight for them.  So anyone who disparaged PGI and/or MWO, consider this ad-hominem to be directed at you:

[Insert incredibly vulgar and irrelevant insult here]

Yeah... I went there.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2017, 07:51:36 am »

I also like that inner sphere finally gets some toys that clan doesn't get.  No RACs for you clanners! (Thank goodness...)

Yet!
They just need to overcome their self esteem problems because the IS developed something good they want do copy. They will do so in time, probably the next tech update, if it ever comes?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2017, 09:15:32 am »

They exist in the current BattleTech timeline, so it is coming.

One thing that irritates me to no end: The Inner Sphere has, at this point, had more then 50 years of access to clan technology. Why the HELL can they not manage to dumb-copy clan technology at this point that they've had more then 50 years of access to? Everything in the inner sphere should be rocking clan equipment (except for maybe the most advanced clan things like ATMs and iATMs)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2017, 10:05:00 am »

I meant the next MWO tech upgrade, I know they have it in the timeline.

I think the IS is able to produce some stuff to clan spec at the current point of time, of course each realm has their own preferences on what they reeingeneered.
One reason I have read is that the producing companies just can't be bothered, because they sell their Mechs and weapons anyway, and that they might even sell less when they deliver superior equipment, because fewer things break and need replacement.
Imo that is a rather weak argument, because now they leave the market to the Sea Foxes and waste a giant opportunity. The first company to produce complete Mechs or even just weapons loadouts to clan specs would make a killing and the others would have to put massive amounts of money into R&D to close the gap.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2017, 12:03:41 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to mod XCOM2 engine and put MW assets in. 

It won't be to scale, but still.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2017, 12:09:21 pm »

Possible? Yes. How difficult that is to do I have no idea. But given that someone has gotten working races/characters from Mass Effect into the game, it is clearly doable.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2017, 02:09:34 pm »

They exist in the current BattleTech timeline, so it is coming.

One thing that irritates me to no end: The Inner Sphere has, at this point, had more then 50 years of access to clan technology. Why the HELL can they not manage to dumb-copy clan technology at this point that they've had more then 50 years of access to? Everything in the inner sphere should be rocking clan equipment (except for maybe the most advanced clan things like ATMs and iATMs)
50 years?

The Helm Memory Core was discovered 34 years before the FedCom Civil War started. The Clan invasion was only over for, what, a decade? The IS states were working with mostly shitty half-baked R&D and manufacturing. Yet from 3052-67 they managed to reverse-engineer or parallel develop LAMS, U/AC 2/5/20, ERM & SLas, S-SRM4/6, LB 2/5/20-X ACs, TComps, and Light TAG, among others.

That's in addition to the small mountain of tech advancements which were their independent and original developments. So in the 10-15 years after the Clan invasion had ended, the IS replicated pretty much all of the major techs that the clans had up on them.

It's hardly fair to talk about stuff like ATMs, since the Coyotes only started introducing those well after the Invasion/into the Civil War era. Might as well wonder why the clans didn't have HGRs or RACs three or four years after they were prototyped.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9