Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: In Production  (Read 14216 times)

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: In Production
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2018, 02:42:23 pm »

Actually, they're 'prolly still using the double armour values from MWO.  With the rapid rate of fire increase, the mechs needed the extra armour to keep from dying too fast.  There are plenty of FPS games out there, but nonelike MWO where you can actually take a few hits an keep on trucking, but still be fairly well worried about the damaged side.

But yeah, I'm pretty hopeful for this one.

~Yami
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2018, 08:52:10 am »

MWO wasn't too bad in that sense. Yes, there were some builds that could do some pretty severe alpha/beta strikes, or good burst damage, but you felt like you were in a mech. You didn't insta-pop from it. But it hurt like hell, like it should.

Hoping this comes out good. With a significant single player campaign, so it doesn't just boil down to finding those builds, loadouts or playstyles.
It's a game. Have fun.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2018, 09:45:47 am »

One thing I understood was that MW5 wasn't going to allow (or severely limit) mech customization to canonical builds, so you can't just take say, a Shadow Hawk chassis and turn it into a medium laser boat. I'd be very OK with that, mostly to prevent the 'this is the uber weapon/loadout' that MWO suffers from.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2018, 10:10:29 am »

I'd like nothing more than the MC2 option of not having any restrictions on what goes on a mech other than your ability to tetris in as much shit as the grid allowed. Blood Asp with 20 MG's please.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2018, 10:27:05 am »

While I find some designs incredibly useless, my lore nerd side likes having distinct designs. If every design is infinitely customizable, you might as well just have one chassis at each tonnage weight and call it a day.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2018, 04:54:47 pm »

Yeesh. Less than a year out from their supposed launch date and we're still seeing nothing but flashy snippets of cinematic footage of... nothing much, with dramatic music layered on top.

Good thing I wasn't expecting PGI to not fuck up/cash grab on this.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2018, 08:32:21 pm »

Yeesh. Less than a year out from their supposed launch date and we're still seeing nothing but flashy snippets of cinematic footage of... nothing much, with dramatic music layered on top.

Yup, nothing much.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2018, 07:23:58 am »

Yup, nothing much.

Holy shit you actually used the demo footage that looked like reskinned MW2 as proof of them doing good work. Bravo. I was deliberately refraining from mentioning that one because 10min of someone who has never played a MW game in their life wandering around a box canyon that mysteriously has a city in it showing off things instantly flipping to their destroyed texture in a single frame is actively worse than empty trailers.

Oh, and the other two are more of the same in (slightly) different environments: single 'mech dropped into box canyon shooting gallery full of trivial targets, sent to shoot a mysterious skyscraper, piloted by a braindead moron who manages to sustain heavy damage against vehicles, turrets, and light 'mechs. Like, whoever they have playing these demos is the sort of clueless idiot that whines in MWO about overpowered [whatever] because they mindlessly W+M1 straight through the middle of every map until they die. And that's the best they could come up with for gameplay demos.

Worse still, the enemy 'mech AI looks to be even more braindead than the player, hence the MW2 comparison. Two guesses as to why MWO never had real AI 'mechs or vehicles even in modes where it would make sense: PGI are a bunch of incompetent hacks who've made nothing but shovelware trying to milk MW for as long as they can. They can't even make turrets that behave consistently, bad AI is utterly unsurprising.

It used to be funny when the people working on Living Legends outperformed PGI, but at this point it's kinda sad that what's effectively a nine year old fan-made total conversion of Crysis is still consistently better at every aspect of being MW than anything piggy has produced.

3. Run Resize Enable

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2018, 10:03:52 am »

Rage aside, I don't see anything there that couldn't have been whipped up in a MWO sandbox, so yeah, it's nice and all but I'm not too bothered yet.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2018, 01:20:49 pm »

"target destroyed..." is only ok a few times until it gets spammed. 

Are those lasers that curve to home in on targets? 

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2018, 01:32:56 pm »

Yup, nothing much.

Holy shit you actually used the demo footage that looked like reskinned MW2 as proof of them doing good work.

-snip-

Nah, that's all on you, dude. I just posted the gameplay videos that are available. But hey, rage on, broheim. I'm sure it will have a huge effect on the course of things to come.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2018, 02:05:49 pm »

ow the edge

MWO-related bitterness aside I don't see anything much wrong with what's been shown. They've demonstrated gameplay and they also have their flashy cinematic trailer. The moving/shooting gameplay looks mostly similar to MWO (not the worst case scenario), but with wide open maps and lots of enemies, which is neat. I don't really get what on earth in the Inner Sphere you're saying when you say it looks like reskinned Mechwarrior 2. I mean, Mechwarrior 2 looks like this. Does every single first person shooter look like a reskinned Doom to you? Were you expecting something that didn't involve walking around in a mech and shooting?

If you're complaining about AI and gameplay balance in a game that's fully a year out, I think you've got the wrong idea altogether.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2018, 03:14:53 pm »

Yup, nothing much.

Holy shit you actually used the demo footage that looked like reskinned MW2 as proof of them doing good work.

-snip-

Nah, that's all on you, dude. I just posted the gameplay videos that are available. But hey, rage on, broheim. I'm sure it will have a huge effect on the course of things to come.

You posted those videos as "proof" that PGI was actually making progress. Those videos look like garbage and actively work against your argument. Shill harder, and drop the low quality bait.

Need me to pull up the continuously declining active playerbase data for MWO? Because good fucking god have PGI managed to fuck up consistently. Sure, though, go right on believing that a company which made nothing but shovelware, which so thoroughly mismanaged MWO that they don't have anyone left who understands its code, will manage to scrape together something good.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:17:37 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2018, 03:43:03 pm »

Yup, nothing much.

-snip-

You posted those videos as "proof" that PGI was actually making progress. Those videos look like garbage and actively work against your argument. Shill harder, and drop the low quality bait.

Need me to pull up the continuously declining active playerbase data for MWO? Because good fucking god have PGI managed to fuck up consistently. Sure, though, go right on believing that a company which made nothing but shovelware, which so thoroughly mismanaged MWO that they don't have anyone left who understands its code, will manage to scrape together something good.

I don't even play MWO. I so entirely do not give a single shit about their playerbase data nor any other aspect of multiplayer gaming.

I posted the videos because they show more than just "cinematic footage with dramatic music layered on top". Everything else is you and your own presumptions.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2018, 02:18:48 am »

Seriously, don't go shooting the messenger. It's good that they release something every now and then, whether it's proof of progress or merely of life.

Everyone should just chill. The Battletech game is coming in a month, and we'll see if MW5 sees the light of day. Otherwise, someone else will (eventually) pick up the torch.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9