Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: In Production  (Read 14240 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: Announced!
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2016, 10:33:42 am »

I'm really excited to see the campaign potentially consider tech upgrades over the course of the 35 or so years in which it takes place. If they pull that off, it will be the most immersive Mechwarrior game yet. (Generally, I found that working up to an Assault was about the only way you could tell that you were progressing in the "story".) Moreover, that PC Gamer article made me a lot less nervous about how they're handling the game. This sounds like what I was hoping MWO would be after the first trailer.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2016, 05:04:39 pm »

Hey, I played the original Mechwarrior in a Let's Play thread from a while back but unfortunately, all the images which I had hosted on Imageshack are gone, so it's pretty much unreadable. Anyway, the deal with that one story wise was that there was a main story line, and you could find story-related missions, but you were free to fly from planet to planet and take mercenary contracts from any house, which is what you would spend nearly all your time doing. Along the way you would hire mechwarriors and buy/salvage/customize/sell mechs for your Lance. Difficulty progression came mostly in the form of more difficult contracts being available to you as your reputation with different houses increased. The missions were very simple though, I think every single one was just your mech(s) starting at the opposite side of a rectangular area from the enemy mech(s), and there might be buildings on one side or the other that you could attack/defend.

It's worth noting that in MW1 and every other Mechwarrior game, mech weight classes served mainly as a form of progression. More mech was nearly always better. Sometimes you had weight limits for the dropship, which prevented you from being totally overpowered for missions, and there are like one or two 'stealth' missions where you're required to go alone in a light mech, but the biggest mechs were always the best, and you spent your career working your way up to them. In Solaris, the gladiator arena, matches are done by weight class, so the Amateur championship is limited to Light mechs, then the Intermediate one is limited to Medium mechs (or you COULD bring a light mech but you never would), etc. Anyway, you get the idea, Assaults cost more and are better. In Multiplayer, you would have one or two guys on your team play Light if it was a capture the flag match but otherwise you would take the biggest mech within some agreed-upon limit.

Oh yeah, Multiplayer in the Mechwarrior games before MWO was much more like a slow stompy Unreal than the World of Tanks-inspired stuff we have today. There was Capture the Flag, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch (all with respawns) and Battle Royale/Team Battle Royale, might have been a different name, which was one-life and saw a brief attempt at being made a 'competitive e-sport' of sorts on G4 TV (lol remember that?)

So, the idea of different weight classes forming a specialized role is pretty much unique to MWO, and it works very well for that type of multiplayer arena game but it's not typically what one would expect of Mechwarrior. As others have said, they made the game very different from other Mechwarrior games to create that ecosystem, it's not consistent with the gameplay or fluff of any other Mechwarrior stuff. I can't say whether they'll try to keep the balance more similar to MWO than the normal mechwarrior games, though.

Also, in the interview they said they were considering not letting the player make their own mech loadouts, which makes me sad. They say that mechs within various weight classes in MWO feel 'samey' but I think that's only because they come with so many different hardpoint variants. Mechwarrior 4 had a good variety of mechs and most of them didn't feel redundant because they all had unique combinations of hardpoints.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2016, 06:00:59 pm »

Uh, maybe in the context of the MechWarrior games. In BTech generally the tonnage classifications definitely correspond to combat roles, for much the same reason that they do in the case of wet-navy warships. Arguing that it's purely Assault > Heavy > Medium > Light is like arguing that Battleships > Battlecruisers > Armored Cruisers > Light Cruisers > Destroyers... &c., which is transparently not true at all unless you're doing some abstract calculation of theoretical maximum damage delivered by a single discrete unit.

The only real failure of MWO in accurately representing the roles of the different classes was that you could hyperspecialize any chassis and do well, which typically isn't possible or desirable in most circumstances in BTech. Something like a Gauss+PPCboat generally wouldn't exist unless it was part of a large unit used specifically as a force multiplier in a sniper/fire support role, and when such things did exist they were almost never light/medium 'mechs.

Now, granted, there is a trend for MechWarriors to try to get into bigger and better 'mechs, but that's got more to do with prestige and obsession with mechanical compensation. Poor and rookie MechWarriors tend to be the ones in lights because in fluff those typically have the most dangerous jobs and are the most likely to get swatted if there's nothing else around to shoot at. Basically moving up to a bigger 'mech happens because you're senior enough to be trusted with a more costly asset in most cases, same as with warships (lowercase W), not because they're just plain better at everything or even because you're more suited to piloting them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2016, 06:58:12 pm »

Something like a Gauss+PPCboat generally wouldn't exist unless it was part of a large unit used specifically as a force multiplier in a sniper/fire support role, and when such things did exist they were almost never light/medium 'mechs

Goodness would a mech like this be as fragile as heck. Like... a single SRM-6 could easily take off an arm or a leg.

MWO seriously ramps up the weaker mech's toughness.

Though I am surprised to see people bad mouthing Heavys... They are ALMOST as durable as Assault Class, without being as slow as molasses... and on some maps Assault's lack of speed seriously hurts them.

Oddly inspite being called Assaults... They make far superior defensive units then offensive ones.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:01:08 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2016, 07:54:02 pm »

No, heavies are not durable at all if they are carrying any amount of firepower, more durable than a medium yes, but not even remotely as well armored as their tonnage suggests (until you get ferro-fibrous armor.)  Heavies are glass cannons across the board, and tend toward really specialized roles, such as missile boat or sniper platform, there are a very few that are acceptable all-rounders, but they tend to suffer from low ammo reserves.

And if your assault class is being used defensively, your pilot is bad.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2016, 08:27:38 pm »

Yeah, mediums are the true JoaTs of BTech.

3. Run Resize Enable

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2017, 10:46:45 pm »

PC gamer posted an article about this today. Seems promising so far.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2017, 11:13:32 pm »

I'd really like to believe, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I trust a single word that comes out of ol' Russie's mouth. Gonna be firmly on my wait-and-see-the-unbribed-reviews list.

3. Run Resize Enable

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2017, 08:09:47 am »

The idea's awesome, and I'd kill for a solid single-player mech game again. But as Flying Dice says, I don't believe anything a magazine publishes these days.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2017, 08:17:31 am »

I think Flying Dice is refering to Russ Bullock. Who is one of the least thrustworthy people since Peter Molyneux or Stalin.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2017, 08:55:03 am »

I'm quite interested in this, I enjoyed Mechwarrior Online (and probably like everyone else in this thread, I really wanted a Mechwarrior 4 sequel). I'm curious what Russ Bullock did to get this reputation though. Could anyone enlighten me? I never followed news surrounding MWO.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 09:41:50 am »

I'm quite interested in this, I enjoyed Mechwarrior Online (and probably like everyone else in this thread, I really wanted a Mechwarrior 4 sequel). I'm curious what Russ Bullock did to get this reputation though. Could anyone enlighten me? I never followed news surrounding MWO.
Overpriced overpowered clan mechs. The weapon stats was exactly like the tabletop. ECM was still brokenly strong and only saving grace was the mechs that could equip them was not as good as the other mechs that didn't have ECM. Add onto the fact that the faction warfare ended up pitting even amount of mechs. That caused alot of angry/bitter players. Then the constant nerfing of clan mechs for two years also kept adding more angry/bitter players.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2017, 10:05:24 am »

Overpriced overpowered clan mechs. The weapon stats was exactly like the tabletop. ECM was still brokenly strong and only saving grace was the mechs that could equip them was not as good as the other mechs that didn't have ECM. Add onto the fact that the faction warfare ended up pitting even amount of mechs. That caused alot of angry/bitter players. Then the constant nerfing of clan mechs for two years also kept adding more angry/bitter players.

Also add to that that during closed beta a lot of changes felt like they were based on "what annoyed Russ and Paul the most the last week".
There was a corrupt* mod on the forums during the early days who was backed by both lead devs, and who muted and banned people more or less at random and did his best to kill any meaningful discussion. He even stalked people on other forums and banned you on MWO for talking bad about it there (so, say you talked bad about MWO on the Planetside 2 forums... enjoy your MWO ban), rumor mill says it was on Russ orders, dunno if that is true but I'm sure he at least knew about that.
Russ and Paul joined the MechWarrior Living Legends (a MechWarrior mod for Crysis) community, worming their way into the good graces of the community and devs, listening to them what people want for an official MW game and such stuff. Then backstabbed them with a Cease and Desist as soon as they had their official license.
Minor lying and douchbaggery that I remember Happening, but can't remember specifics right now.
Also look up Transverse or what it was called. Piranha Games attempt to run away with the money made from MWO pre orders to make a (probably more lucrative) space sim that seems to have been planned as a total Star Citizen clone.

Probably could remember some more if I had time right now.

*read as "total jerkass"
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2017, 10:10:03 am »

Sheesh, talk about a laundry list of bad acts. I can understand the skepticism.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2017, 10:29:04 am »

Yeah, I was expecting that from the moment the Clan mechs were announced, the Pay to Win was strong with that one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9