Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Hist Figs  (Read 753 times)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about Hist Figs
« on: December 04, 2016, 04:08:02 am »

Currently, there is a civ in my world that only has one site that has not been sacked called Dawncaves, and it is a mountain hall a population of 8. Their last site other than this was destroyed in 150, and the world is currently at 1052. Since about 152, the only events in the entire civ has been switches in management.

Despite this, when I look in the administration of the Dwarves, counts and barons are still listed among leadership. The funny part is that the number of nobles exceeds 8, even though that's the population of the entire civ (????)

Looking into it further, the actual groups these people were members of and where they live is a little weird. Here's a picture of Melbil Graniteanguished:

This Dwarf, a countess, currently has her home building in a Goblin occupied hamlet, is a member of the government of the hamlet in question (The Twinkling Doom), and is a "former member" of the government of the single remaining dwarf site while simultaneously still being a member of the civ.
Check out this guy:

What site is this guy a Baron of? Dawncaves already has mayor and a king. So why does this guy even exist? Why is he a baron? Where does he live, and is he counted in the population of 8 Dwarves?

This is less of an actual gameplay question and more of a LARP-y inquiry. What's going on here?
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Hist Figs
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 02:01:14 am »

I'm not certain, but if they're the last surviving member of a location they could have the same problem as one of my "missing" minerdorfs currently is having: She's deader than a doornail, but there's no dorf around to report her as such (she went down a mineshaft, had a water-related accident, and drowned. Her last thought appeared to be delight while watching a waterfall). Seeing as she isn't reported dead, she's listed as alive until proven otherwise. She's just "been missing for a week!" now, and I'll be able to make her a lovely memorial slab soon.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 02:18:36 am »

And there was me thinking Hist Figs were something you could grow and eat, that possibly had regenerative properties. Too much Elder Scrolls I guess.
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:20:50 pm »

Some some Dwarf just showed up as my outpost liaison. He is a member of a nearby Goblin government and is the administrator of a site that the goblins have put in after they took it over, but is still part of my civ. The site has a population of 12 Dwarves and has an administrator that is part of a Dwarvern civ, but still counts as being a Goblin site.

What the hell???????????? I'm confuse.

WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 02:46:50 am »

I've run into a couple of strange situations like that too.  Basically, areas of land are often contested by multiple civs.  However, sites only have a single government that owns the site and that government is a group in a civilisation.  That means that a site can only belong to one civilisation.

However, if you go back in time, some sites have been destroyed, or razed.  Subsequently, expeditions are led to reclaim the site for a different civilisation.  I have found that it is this change in governments that leads to strange situations.  In more than one case I've seen governments routed, but that children survive.  Upon becoming adults, those children become king or queen.  However, they are living in the reclaimed site.

I bet if you look at the city that your outpost liason comes from and go back in time, you'll find something similar.  1000 years is a lot of history, though.  I tend to play with much smaller histories because it's the only way I can keep track of it ;-)