Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Archery Target confusion  (Read 3749 times)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Archery Target confusion
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 12:54:06 pm »

Then you are already aware of the 'building tricks' I mentioned.  :)   For fending off massive invasions, I recommend using a technique to 'string' the invaders out so that a) they meet your melee in dribs and drabs (and wounded by bolts) and b) your melee are prevented from "gobbling the chain" - bloodthirstily chasing the dribs and drabs out of the kill zone and into the main invasion force. 

One way I do this is to force the invaders to run a zig-zag course in front of the marksdwarves, where instead of walls there are drops.  Any goblin that dodge-falls has to run back to the beginning (or, alternatively, gets to use a shortcut to skip straight to the melee dwarves); either way as goblins become injured or fall and get separated, their force becomes strung out while under maximum exposure to ranged attack. 

Of course, mass drowning/falling/magma/atomsmashing traps work far better, but they get too easy after awhile.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 02:05:26 pm »

The range ammo splitter works ok, except for the revenge thoughts.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 02:18:22 pm »

Then you are already aware of the 'building tricks' I mentioned.  :)   For fending off massive invasions, I recommend using a technique to 'string' the invaders out so that a) they meet your melee in dribs and drabs (and wounded by bolts) and b) your melee are prevented from "gobbling the chain" - bloodthirstily chasing the dribs and drabs out of the kill zone and into the main invasion force. 

One way I do this is to force the invaders to run a zig-zag course in front of the marksdwarves, where instead of walls there are drops.  Any goblin that dodge-falls has to run back to the beginning (or, alternatively, gets to use a shortcut to skip straight to the melee dwarves); either way as goblins become injured or fall and get separated, their force becomes strung out while under maximum exposure to ranged attack. 

Of course, mass drowning/falling/magma/atomsmashing traps work far better, but they get too easy after awhile.
I know a handful of those tricks, not many, and several have holes in them that im filling in where i forgot some important details. I lurked on here for about a year or so before I ever played.

Im trying to plan out a method of using pressure plates or just levers to open and shut gates more or less at random to force them to come in a few at a time or spread them out through a series of alternate paths so they will trickle into an arena a few at a time, if that gets too complicated, ill probably just build a big flushing mechanism to drop them a bunch of levels into a pit with a grate or just straight into large secure evaporation/death room (maybe make them fall onto retracting spikes that lower when I open the door to collect the loot?) in the cavern I can collect the gear from, unless falls destroy gear, then no one gets their hands dirty, and long as I make it deep enough to kill anything that comes my way (I bet 25 floor drop should kill anything that cant fly) it seems like it would work. But im getting a bit off topic.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:25:06 pm by Weizen1988 »

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 02:22:36 pm »

The range ammo splitter works ok, except for the revenge thoughts.
Thats pretty impressive. I may have to build that somewhere.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 05:35:45 pm »

(I bet 25 floor drop should kill anything that cant fly)
Not anymore, unless perhaps if you paved it with slade, though some properly dangerous upright menacing spikes or spears would do better than gold floors.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 05:43:18 pm »

(I bet 25 floor drop should kill anything that cant fly)
Not anymore, unless perhaps if you paved it with slade, though some properly dangerous upright menacing spikes or spears would do better than gold floors.
How deep should it be then? Or does it just not really matter unless the landing pad is hard?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 06:06:55 pm »

Well, as far as "matter no more" goes, terminal velocity comes at about 47z drop I think.

Falling longer distance, onto worse landing pads does improve the damage, but I still would recommend the spikes.

Alternatively, if they're locked down there anyway, drowning/burning/smashing/archery practice chamber could be easier than very deep pit.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 06:35:49 pm »

Well, as far as "matter no more" goes, terminal velocity comes at about 47z drop I think.

Falling longer distance, onto worse landing pads does improve the damage, but I still would recommend the spikes.

Alternatively, if they're locked down there anyway, drowning/burning/smashing/archery practice chamber could be easier than very deep pit.
If i go the pit route, it absolutely will end in spikes, i mean, its a pit and i cant do the slow moving wall crushing, I guess i could fill a pool with gators and just drain it when I want to collect, they arent obligate aquatic animals, so I wouldnt need to worry about moving them in and out with the water or anything, so its going to be one of those or a leg shattering room where my marksdwarves can shoot them for practice. This is getting super far off the topic of archery, but if i made a flushing system can water push monsters too heavy to use bridges on, or will they just walk through the flowing water? Or is it a matter of volume flowing then? And if a creature falls onto another, are both injured? will this goblin rain be hurting any predators i stick in the pit?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 07:55:47 pm »

Water flow can move dragons in my experience. Totally can build a water trap with that...[ex: Luriant's]...but beware! Water alternating between 3 and 4 where dwarves can walk has fps impact akin to doors linked to repeaters. (even if it is tempting to have swimming training where dwarves walk into 3/7 water and then have 4/7 wash over them and make them swim)

If a creature falls onto another, neither are injured. Makes it possible to do safe airdrops onto slade in certain circumstances.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 08:10:38 pm »

Water flow can move dragons in my experience. Totally can build a water trap with that...[ex: Luriant's]...but beware! Water alternating between 3 and 4 where dwarves can walk has fps impact akin to doors linked to repeaters. (even if it is tempting to have swimming training where dwarves walk into 3/7 water and then have 4/7 wash over them and make them swim)

If a creature falls onto another, neither are injured. Makes it possible to do safe airdrops onto slade in certain circumstances.
Would that mean dropping several creatures at once results in survivors and only a few dead, as the others land on the bodies of their friends, or since they all fall at once none count as landing on each other? Either way sounds like spikes is better than trained cave croc pit, more reliably lethal.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 10:03:10 pm »

It appears (and I admit that I don't have a lot of experience in this) that spikes have a drawback.  If something falls on a spike and is wearing armour, the armour can deflect the spike.  It appears the the fall does no damage in this instance.  So if you want a pit for beasts, then spikes are the way to go, but if you want one for goblins you should have a very dense floor.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 11:01:21 pm »

It appears (and I admit that I don't have a lot of experience in this) that spikes have a drawback.  If something falls on a spike and is wearing armour, the armour can deflect the spike.  It appears the the fall does no damage in this instance.  So if you want a pit for beasts, then spikes are the way to go, but if you want one for goblins you should have a very dense floor.
So platinum floor then? Slade seems to require access to more fun than im prepared to deal with at present.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 11:05:36 pm »

Or dig 50 z levels and everything blows apart, you always get 6 pieces of junk for every humanoid (head, 4 limbs and torso).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 01:05:02 am »

Is this still true for the armor wear update? It might transfer some damage to the joints.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 03:15:27 am »

Is this still true for the armor wear update? It might transfer some damage to the joints.

I have to admit that I don't know because I'm not sure when the armor update came in.  If it came in for 0.43.05, then it is possible that it is not still true (I don't think I've tried it since then).  For 03.... I'm not so sure...
Pages: 1 [2] 3